Easter! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama to B View Post

Everywhere you go now there's Easter stuff so what's the bunny bringing your kids! Last year I went way overbored with "stuff" stuff she never used such a waste! This year I'm trying to keep it to things she really likes or needs. She will be getting bubbles, sand toys, chalk, probably a kite, a ball for outside, a tinker bell dish set, a leap frog text and learn, a game, puzzles, coloring books, I will also likely get her a new outfit sandles, a toy, and treats. I will do a Easter egg hunt around the house to! I'm debating back and forth about getting her a trampoline and a jeep for Easter. There both things I'd like to get her to have this summer and since she has a fall birthday they aren't something I could do for a birthday present. So I'm thinking basket, eggs, toys will be from the bunny but then I'll get at least one of the bigger items from me? Does anyone else do bigger items for Easter? Dd is only 2 1/2 so I don't think she will expect big things like that every year. Do you think she will expect it? I'm trying to stay within a budget for get basket since last year I probably spent over 300 on it but the bigger thing would be more of a splurge.

Wow that's a lot of stuff. I don't know that at the age of two she would be able to remember and expect a similar level of gift giving the following year, but I think that it is important to be mindful that the you are setting the tone and expectation for how your family will approach celebrations in the future.

If you have more kids you may find yourself searching for things to buy to celebrate in the way your kids have become accustomed and you could easily become overwhelmed by stuff and the cost of it. It's also been my experience that my kids get overwhelmed with lots of gifts and can't appreciate them.  Perhaps not all of these things need to come via the Easter bunny or on the same day?

In our family we do a big easter egg hunt at my aunt's with my sisters and their kids. We split the cost for the things in the eggs (mostly candy and coins)  The kids just like hunting for the eggs.

They also get a basket (which we reuse every year) that has a larger chocolate bunny, a couple of handmade things - this year is knitted bunnies and appliqued t-shirts and jammie bottoms. We try to replenish some of things they use up (chalk, bubbles, balls or badminton birds, skipping ropes, yoyo strings, nature notebooks, gardening gloves, paints, wooden peg people, balsa wood airplanes).  We also will often get the kids one "big" joint gift - which in the past has been things like a badminton net, new kite, and this year will be an outdoor tree swing because we just moved into a new house.  The things my kids love the most in their easter baskets are silly little things like bubble gum (a huge treat for them ) and we all have bubble gum blowing contests, or oragami paper we use to make paper airplanes.

I aim to keep the cost of easter basket stuff under $100 total for the 4 of them and even that seems high to me.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#32 of 53 Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We colour hard-boiled eggs and do a hunt for them, maybe with a few mini eggs thrown in if I think of it. That's the extent of our easter. ....and we all get yummy egg-salad sandwiches for the week! lol

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#33 of 53 Old 03-18-2011, 05:03 PM

For the past few years, DH and I put the kids to bed, put on a non-kid friendly movie (a treat for us) and make chocolates for Easter.  I got the choco molds on clearance for 10 cents, post holiday.  It is a tradition that I look forward to each Spring.  We have carrot bread muffins for breakfast too.  :)

#34 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 04:25 AM

These are all such great ideas! I love all holidays...Hallmark, religious, cultural, whatever. It's a challenge, though, to celebrate and love giving gifts and still be environmentally conscious. So now I know where to start.

I just wanted to add that I ALWAYS shop for the next year's holiday right after the current one. So the day after Easter, it's off to the fancy card stores for next year's Easter. Last year, I got a huge plush bunny for my dd for 90 percent off. The exact same model is on sale again this year in that store for $35. I also get all our baking chocolate that way. I cut up the valentine hearts and chocolate eggs for cookies and what not and have gourmet goodies all the time. Cheaper than chocolate chips in the grocery store.

#35 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 AM

Whoever suggested the Lego bricks in the eggs idea? I LOVE YOU! joy.gif Thank you for a great idea! My boys have food allergies, so candies in the eggs is always an issue. We usually do coins, stickers, and Smarties (the one candy they can safely have), but how fun would it be to get a small Lego kit and divide up the bricks? They can spend the morning putting it together. Awesome!

We recycle the same eggs and grass from year to year. I buy beach pails for the baskets and get a handful of things at the dollar store (books, bubbles, parachute guys, army guys, sand toys...that sort of thing). 

#36 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We dye eggs, do a nice breakfast and egg hunt and each of the kids get a chocolate bunny.  They specifically ask for the cheap chocolate bunnies -- the kind with candy eyes.  Normally, they are real chocolate snobs, but apparently not one of them can resist the siren call of a waxy, overly sweet chocolate bunny.  

And I really insist that Easter stay small in my house.  We are not religious and I am really, really done with holidays that explode into mammoth, week long, expensive, too-big manias of present buying and chaos.  But that is just me. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#37 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 AM

I tend to go overboard on holidays :)  Each kids gets a basket with stuff like crayons, bubbles, a few pieces of chocolate, coloring book, kite, stuffed animal...that kind of stuff.  Im thinking of getting something this year that will last a bit longer though- Insect Lore has some awesome stuff like ladybug land and anthills that I know my kids would love.  We dye eggs, and do several egg hunts, plus a nice brunch with family. I probably spend $30 on each basket, less for the baby, who will just get something little.  The brunch is what costs a lot because we go all out and do mimosas, organic eggs, natural bacon, etc. Plus my kids get easter baskets at my dads, my moms, and my inlaws, which does make it excessive, but thats par for the course I think.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#38 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Easter is just a huge spring celebration for us :) 

We are doing wheat grass baskets this year, and I will fill them with gardening supplies, a "spring" book, and some little wooden treasures for our nature table. I would also like to get DD a balance bike because Christmas/her birthday aren't appropriate times (her b-day is August and that's too late..) we will see. DS will get nothing :) We hide a mix of felt, real, and plastic eggs in the yard and IN the eggs we put pretty rocks, candies, and seed bombs (just got some!) 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#39 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 12:47 PM

I, too, am shocked at how commercialized Easter has become.  This year I received a flyer from Target in the mail that was chock full of toys and you name it, just like at Christmas time.  We celebrate Spring (easter) more as the beginning of spring and our connection to nature and the Earth.  We are not Christians so we don't get involved in that part of it.  This year I wanted to try egg dying using natural dyes.  I read that boiling the eggs with onion peels will make them bright yellow.  So we are going to experiment with that.  We'll do an egg hunt and picnic with some friends and go look at birds and flowers and talk about how spring works and what it means for all living things in our half of the world.  I will maybe get her a little chocolate to put in her basket, the same reuseable basket we use every year.  I might add paper shreds as the 'grass'.  I did buy some plastic eggs that I plan on using again next year, that I'll put some little candies in.  I'm going to get some flower seed packets and drop them in there, so we can plant them and see how they grow as part of a homeschool lesson.  I did buy dd a scooter at a thrift store  and it is "hot wheels" brand so as a surprise gift to her from us, not from the Easter bunny, we are going to paint it pink and purple and I want to handpaint her name and some spring flowers on it for her.  

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#40 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM

We are doing a spring equinox basket this year, which has chalk, a new notebook and pencil, stickers and a few other fun things.

They will get some chocolate from the bunny this year as well. We dye eggs and have a easter egg hunt with the cousins.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#41 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM

we don't do easter. i always mean to do something for the equinox (we're not christians so i avoid their holidays) but i always forget and so... my kids never get anything this time of year. i feel like a bad mom bag.gif

eh. who needs a signature?
#42 of 53 Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post

I tend to go overboard on holidays :)

Me too... we got DS a really nice monogrammed basket and chair backer from Pottery Barn this year. It will have in it: 2 finger puppets I made, bubbles, chalk, art related stuff (paints, crayons and one coloring book), a butterfly net, an egg shaped spatula and whisk (which he will use to help DH make pancakes on Easter morning), a couple spring themed books, a wind chime, a mini handheld dustpan and broom (he keeps stealing mine!) and a wind up chick that jumps. I made fabric Easter eggs for his hunt so no need to bother with candy.

We also do a big Easter lunch for family and friends. All told (including lunch) we will likely spend about $200 or so on Easter this year but half of that is the food and another chunk is the basket and chair backer which we will reuse.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#43 of 53 Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

my kids will get a book each and a little candy.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#44 of 53 Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM

The kids are getting a piece of chocolate each and some sand toys. We're getting sand delivered next week for the sandbox I dug up so the timing is good.

We have chickens due to hatch around Easter so that will be fun. We'll check out all our baby animals, do some gardening, play in the sandbox, hunt for painted eggs, it'll be fun.
#45 of 53 Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM

We celebrated the first day of Spring with an egg hunt where the Spring Hare had also left our 4-year-old daughter a basket with a bright new [to her] outfit, colorful sidewalk chalk, a chocolate bunny and some chocolate foil eggs.  The eggs that she hunted were all plastic eggs with jelly beans and malt robin's eggs inside.

I made a meal of keilbasa and eggs before we headed downtown with the chalk and three bundles of flowers that we had picked up from the grocery store the day before.  I cut the blooms' stems down to four or five inches and she handed them out to people downtown.  It was really fun.  I could barely keep up with her.  She handed them out to homeless people, men, women, children - if you were walking by her, you got a beautiful spring flower and a cheerful "Happy Spring".  It was awesome and interesting to see people's reactions.  We had a few people try to hand her money; but, I would just shake my head before she noticed what they were doing.  We then went by the square [that's in our downtown] and chalked Spring messages and drawings before heading home because the wind started to pick up and get cold.

She said it was the best day ever.

As we're not religious, we'll be spending this weekend participating in Earth Day celebrations and clean up efforts in our area.

stormborn likes this.
#46 of 53 Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm surprized that people buy big items for Easter.  That's new to me!  I use the same basket, eggs, and grass each year. I'm also not above reusing jelly beans or chocolate if it got put in the cupboard and not eaten.  In past years it's been all candy and maybe a book, but this year her birthday was last weekend, and I went on a big trip to Switzerland and came back with a lot of really good chocolate so this year we are going easy on Easter basket candy and I bought her some fun accessories instead--headbands, hair ties, a little Skipper barbie doll and a bright, pretty sun dress.  I bought some peeps and skittles and one chocolate bunny because the bunny seemed somehow necessary.  I also bought her a mini hand sanitizer because she loves that stuff.

We also go to church and have a big family gathering on Sunday, our neighbor has a great egg hunt, and we dyed hardboiled eggs last night.

#47 of 53 Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM

I reuse the baskets and eggs - but never considered myself to be a scrooge...why would you throw out and buy it again?  I consider it organized...I keep all that plus egg dying items in a bin.

One fun tradition I started was slowly collecting the bunnies and duckies that people seem to get the kids this time of year - after the novelty wore off I would disappear them..and they all show up on Easter morning around the house.  It's a little magic (they "are" the Easter bunnies) and less clutter through the year.  The bunnies tend to be a bit tacky anyhow.

We have fall/late summer birthdays, so I like the excuse to buy the kids a little something - this year they each get a nice book and a small toy - doll for dd and hockey cards for DS.  They will get chalk, and bath toys.  I too would hesitate to throw a big ticket item in for fear of setting a precedent they'd remember.  I guess a bike will need to just be a holiday free purchase as needed here.

It is silly how all the stores are turning it into a bonanza.  I spent a bit over $20 per kid, which is north of $60.  I don't feel like a scrooge at all!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#48 of 53 Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM

my kids have never gotten anything for easter.../its just not a gift holiday for us.  

However, i went out and bought a few things this year and they will get small baskets of stuff.  but only  like $10 per kid, and i thought that was outrageous! 

CPST
#49 of 53 Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 AM

I finally got Easter stuff for DD last night.  We do a few plastic eggs to find, filled with coins (she's saving up for a comic book) or a few jelly beans.  She'll get a small chocolate bunny and a few play items (bubbles, a ball, a matchbox car, some silly putty).  

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#50 of 53 Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama to B View Post

Everywhere you go now there's Easter stuff so what's the bunny bringing your kids! Last year I went way overbored with "stuff" stuff she never used such a waste! This year I'm trying to keep it to things she really likes or needs. She will be getting bubbles, sand toys, chalk, probably a kite, a ball for outside, a tinker bell dish set, a leap frog text and learn, a game, puzzles, coloring books, I will also likely get her a new outfit sandles, a toy, and treats. I will do a Easter egg hunt around the house to! I'm debating back and forth about getting her a trampoline and a jeep for Easter. There both things I'd like to get her to have this summer and since she has a fall birthday they aren't something I could do for a birthday present. So I'm thinking basket, eggs, toys will be from the bunny but then I'll get at least one of the bigger items from me? Does anyone else do bigger items for Easter? Dd is only 2 1/2 so I don't think she will expect big things like that every year. Do you think she will expect it? I'm trying to stay within a budget for get basket since last year I probably spent over 300 on it but the bigger thing would be more of a splurge.

Wow. I am so shocked there are kids who get all those presents for Easter.. I had no idea. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Wow, I really hadn't realized that Easter had become so commercialized.  I'm surprised that there is not more discussion of that, given the outcry about keeping Christ in Christmas.

^ exactly.

I'm not buying anything for my kid's for Easter.  For us Easter/Good Friday is a time to talk about Jesus's death and resurrection. We call Easter, Resurrection Day.  Candy, egg hunts, gifts, have nothing to do with that.  $300 is more than a months rent for us.  And yeah I think if you start making holidays very commercialized kids will expect it and not understand if it suddenly stops.  Even if we weren't Christians, I wouldn't buy my kids tons of presents for Easter because we believe in having minimal material possessions and not contributing to the constantly consumerism of our culture.   Maybe this sounds harsh but I am seriously concerned about the environmental impacts of buying tons of new stuff.

#51 of 53 Old 04-24-2011, 05:02 AM

Must say big thanks to the smart mama who recommended the Lego idea! They are working on assembling a Harry Potter Lego set as we speak. Perfect for my food allergic kiddos!

I'll just say for me, we've spent the last 2 years rabidly fighting a coal fired power plant for communtiy. This week that meant I headed out of town to speak at a local university for a night and then spoke the next night at another event. Next week will be more meetings and campaigning. I'm more concerned about having my children be surprised and joyous on a morning that can often be about foods they can not have, in a week/month/year that involves me being very occupied saving the environment.

Blessings however you choose to celebrate today!!

#52 of 53 Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM

DS ended up getting 2 books, a little plastic bowling game in an egg, a dove chocolate bunny and 4 plastic eggs filled with a "clue" in his basket. Each of the clues led ds around the house to find a gift. Those were.... a big Tron play set, 2 Tron "cars", a new bath toy and a dvd. I would much rather do toys/books than candy (and ds only likes plain milk chocolate, no other candy).

We also have some eggs filled that we will hide later today. They have some chocolate (hershey's kisses, m&m's, etc) and some quarters. All of the chocolate we already had in the house so I didn't buy any of that, just re-used it winky.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#53 of 53 Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thank you, Passover Rabbit!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smithie2000/5649555660/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page