If you spend <$25 per person per week on groceries... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods?

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)

3. What do you eat for breakfasts?

4. What do you eat for snacks?

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.)

My family of 2 adults and 1 toddler (who eats 1/4-1/2 an adult serving) is stuck at $75ish a week (although that includes non-food items) and I'm looking for some ways to shave that down a bit.  Our food cost of living is 109% the national average.

Update: Changed the post title to be cost per person... I definitely did not think about the fact that for a family of 4, $50/week  would be incredibly tight!

Thanks!

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

#2 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 12:28 PM

$50 a week sounds a bit unusual, I think.

I have one friend that does this.  She runs a yearly average, and her average is about $42 a week (which includes animal feed costs, seed costs, etc).  She has one teenage and one 6 year old boy, her, and her dh.  They raise hogs, and that pork is probably 75% of their meat.  They have a huge garden (in the midwest), and she cans and freezes like there is no tomorrow.  She barters for chickens.  She never turns down free food (leftovers from the church supper? Sure! that sort of thing).  She shops almost exclusively at Aldi's.  She is VERY good at not wasting anything.  I remember last year her garden grew cantaloupes that weren't great for eating.  She pureed them and baked them into bread.  So, hardly anything goes to waste.  And any waste goes to the hogs, so they'll eat it down the road anyway.  She's in the midwest, and she pays her Amish neighbors $1/dozen for eggs.  That sort of thing.

IMO, they eat sort of a limited diet, but they are okay with that.  Her dh is crazy picky, and he wants meat at every supper.  So, if she makes a meatless meal, she puts a (naked) hotdog on the plate alongside the meal for him.  This cracks me up, but it works for them.  They only eat fish during Lent, and then, it's salmon burgers from Costco.  Their typical non0garden veggie side dish is steamed california mix.  And they like it that way.  So, they don't feel deprived or anything.  They just like simple stuff. 

#3 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 PM

My cost of living is 1% more than the national average for my city.

We don't quite have it down to $50 per week but I can do $50 per week (and have many times) when I needed to.

We buy natural,  but very little organic right now. We do organic yogurt because our daughter eats a ton of that. We typically buy food in its natural state -- dry beans, brown rice, not a lot of pre-packaged things at all or convenience foods.

For veggies and fruit, we do a combo of fresh and frozen. For a lot of my meals, frozen works (casseroles, stews, steaming and such) but we do buy fresh greens for smoothies and salads and fresh veggies/fruit when they're in season/on sale.

Breakfasts are typically -- homemade pancakes, homemade quick bread like banana bread or pumpkin bread, cereal if I get a really good deal with coupons, homemade granola, eggs, green smoothies, fruit, or even leftovers from the night before.

Snacks are usually things like - homemade granola, inexpensive fruit (like an apple or banana), roasted chickpeas, popcorn, homemade pita and hummus, carrot sticks with dip,  stuff like that.

I cook almost everything from scratch which is fine mostly since I like to cook but other times is a huge pain with soaking beans, planning ahead, it's more time intensive etc. I typically shop the sales and use coupons for certain items if they're natural -- we hardly do pre-packaged stuff. I try to make things as nutritionally dense as possible but like I mentioned,  organic is pretty much out except for the allowance we make for yogurt (it's among the only dairy dd will eat and she eats a lot of it, we don't want her to have the hormones etc).

Hope that helps.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#4 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Even though we raise our own meats and garden and forage for nuts and berries and plums, we cannot do it on $50/wk!  We have 4 adult appetites, though.  plus one very much growing one...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping because the title was not clear before...

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

#6 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

1. you buy any natural or organic foods? We buy very little processed food. The rest of our diet is made up of a mixture of organic and non organic food.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?) We buy what is in season and what is on lost leader. During the winter we do frozen veggies and a lot of frozen berries.

3. What do you eat for breakfasts? Breakfast in our house is the biggest meal since my husband works 2nd shift. We have usually a starch like pancakes or waffles,. a protein like turkey bacon or eggs and fruit. Sometimes veggies if I make an omelet.

4. What do you eat for snacks? Popcorn, yogurt, quesadillas, pizza,

5.If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.)

Compared to the rest of the country, Mukilteo (zip 98275)'s cost of living is 34.50% Higher than the U.S. average. 

We were spending about $350. a month for a family of 7, 2 adults, 2 teenage boys and 2 boys and 1 girl. That is including paper goods and cleaning products. Since December though we have spent a lot less then that. We average now $45 every other week for 2 adults, a 13 year old, 11 year old and 4 year old just because of some issues going on with our family. I do budget about $75.00 for a us a week.  

Heidi
#7 of 46 Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM

I spend just about $20-25 per person per week

No organic, too expensive.  I do buy "natural" in that I buy nothing with artificial flavorings or coloring (except occasionally ice cream if a particular brand is on sale-- all brands except a few have fake stuff in them).

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)

I buy fresh if it is on sale or inexpensive (like bananas).  Most of the greens I buy are frozen bulk generic-- broccoli crowns, collards, spinach.

Pancakes, toast, bagels, fruit, fruit juice.

Nuts, fruit, toast, homemade cupcakes and cookies.

The chart says my COL is 33% higher than average food cost 9% higher than average.

#8 of 46 Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 AM

We are pretty much exactly on your $25 per person line. Just over $200 per month for 2 adults.

I buy organic produce when I see it for the same price or cheaper than the regular (happens occasionally). I think the soy drink we buy is organic too. As for natural, we don't buy much processed/convenience stuff, except for the soy drink and some condiments.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables? (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)
Almost all fresh, skewed towards whats cheap or on sale, but this is not at all a hard limit. We love mushrooms for example, even though they are more per pound than many veggies. We do buy frozen peas and corn.

Toast with cheese or peanut butter, eggs, oatmeal.

Homemade muffins, nuts, fruit, toast.

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.)
I don't live in the US. I think food costs here are cheaper than most places in Canada, but more expensive than most places in the US.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid 
My grocery bill varies a lot by month. I shop sales mostly and stock up when things we use go on sale. The rest of the time I don't buy much.

Me too. The figure I posted above is an average. I think this plays the largest role in my average grocery bill being low.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#9 of 46 Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM

My grocery bill varies a lot by month.  I shop sales mostly and stock up when things we use go on sale.  The rest of the time I don't buy much.

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods? Some.  We don't buy too many packaged items but not everything is organic.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?) A combination of all three.  We raise and preserve our own in the summer.  During the winter, I do supplement with some canned and frozen things.

3. What do you eat for breakfasts? bagels, eggs (free from dh's aunt), oatmeal.  Rarely we'll have cereal or poptarts.

4. What do you eat for snacks? mostly fruit, cheese, crackers

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? it says we're 21% below the national average  

#10 of 46 Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods?   I buy some organic snack bars and crackers if there is a coupon.  I buy only natural foods

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)    I buy fresh and frozen foods. 

3. What do you eat for breakfasts?    I make my own yogurt and granola.  I use some of the yogurt for muffins and waffles.

4. What do you eat for snacks?   we eat celery and pb, guacamole and chips, salsa and chips, bean dips with veggies and chips. 

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average?  NOt sure.

we are a vegetarian family of 4 and our budget stays around $50 a week.  I make most of our food and plan ahead for convenience as to not blow the budget on quick prepackaged convenience food.

#11 of 46 Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM

in our case, that would be $75/week for one adult and two children.  i budget $100/wk but i often don't spend that much; i could easily spend $75/wk on a regular basis, and in fact that was my grocery budget until very recently, with another adult in the house. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac5 View Post

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods?  of course!  especially "natural" . . . not really sure what this means other than non-processed, but in terms of produce, dairy, legumes and whole grains, these are all natural foods that make up a big part of my grocery bill.  produce is mostly organic, milk is organic but butter and cheese are generally not.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)  fresh fruits, but i buy a bag of apples and/or a bunch of bananas, and one "special" (read: expensive) fruit like berries.  i deviate from that when we really want to (like, we really want a pineapple or something) but it generally works well for us.  cheap fresh veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic; and fresh veggies for salad, like greens, tomatoes, cucumbers.  things i can tolerate frozen, i usually buy frozen, like peas, green beans, broccoli, but when they are in season locally, i buy fresh.  i'm getting a csa share this year.

3. What do you eat for breakfasts?  when eating on the cheap, we eat oatmeal for breakfast (and fruit if we want), but when being lazy, we eat cereal, which probably runs us $10 a week when you include milk, which we otherwise don't buy.

4. What do you eat for snacks?  fruit, veggies, hard boiled eggs, leftovers, peanut butter sandwich, sometimes we have cheese and crackers but not often

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.)  103 (but overall 88 so i guess that means other things in my life are cheaper than average?)

my grocery budget is just for food (supposedly) - i have a separate "target" budget of $50 every two weeks, which is for:

paper/plastic (paper towels, toilet paper, plastic bags, tin foil, trash bags, etc

medicines and other health care needs

beauty/hygiene stuff

diapers (only at night)

cleaning products (mostly use vinegar/baking soda but i buy dish soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, and yummy method bathroom cleaners)

things that help me save money on groceries:

no meat

not a ton of dairy

not a lot of processed or convenience foods

my kids eat lunch at preschool/daycare which is included in their tuition

things i blow "extra" grocery money on that i'd cut if needed:

fancy cheeses

fake meats, which i don't buy a ton of, probably $5/wk but sometimes closer to $10 if i buy a few and they're not on sale

the convenience foods i do buy, especially snacky stuff like fruit leathers, granola bars, as well as canned beans (soaking is not hard!) or canned soups

soda

magazines, only buy one or two a month, but still

gum

i might consider not buying tea, or buying loose tea, or printing coupons . . . but only if it were really tight!

#12 of 46 Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Cost per week is between $20-30 per person.  Would be lower, but living with my parents and they have certain "standards"  When it is just us (me, dh, ds, dd1 and dd2), I spend $10-15 per person per week.

natural, when available.  organic - sparingly.

In the winter, we do a mix of frozen, fresh and canned.  We watch sales and stock up when we can.

cold cereal, oatmeal, cream of wheat, bacon/eggs/pancakes... just about any breakfast food we like. :)

fresh fruit and veggies.  dried fruit, toast...

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average?

Our cost is lower than the national average.

I'm feeding 4 adults, a 10 yo boy, a 7 yo and a 1 yo girl... so 7 of us in the house.  If I watch what is on sale, meal plan and coupon (and our local stores do NOT double coupons), I can keep us under $400/month.  This week, my deal was bone in chicken breasts for $0.79/lb with a 6 lb limit. I'll be going back again on Monday to get more.  Sometimes I can get ground beef for $1.89/lb for 85% lean in a 10 lb tube.  I don't buy much as far as processed foods go - much easier to go from scratch.

In the warmer weather, we have a garden and grow tomatoes, zucchini, peas, beans, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, strawberries, asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, etc.  I'm hoping to harvest enough this year to try canning.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#13 of 46 Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

We're not even close!!  blush.gif

I spend about $175/week for 2 adults and 2 kids.  (almost 3 and 4.5)  I do buy mostly organic and tons of fresh produce and chicken.  This also includes items like laundry detergent (when I don't make my own), toilet paper, etc.

#14 of 46 Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

we do... but only because we eat out too much, and dd is only breastfeeding!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#15 of 46 Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 PM

I am pretty close to that, though right now I'm closer to 90/wk for 3 (myself, 14.5 yo, 11 yo) as we just moved and I'm trying to restock on things. By summer, I want to be at $60-75/wk.

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods?  Not a lot of organic unless the price is very close. But buy mostly single ingredients and cook from scratch, and we rarely eat out.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)  I use a lot of frozen, but recently started purchasing a basket every two weeks from www.bountifulbaskets.org  It's all fresh produce 50% veg/50% fruit and you get a ton for $15 (about $50 worth). They do organic in some places for $25.

3. What do you eat for breakfasts? We do oatmeal, bagels, toast, and tons of eggs (we have chickens).

4. What do you eat for snacks? Nuts, popcorn, fresh fruit, biscuit with jam, cookies we've made, etc.

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.)  It says 22% below national average, but I'm not sure that takes into account that I have no grocery stores (other than very SMALL local convenience type store) and need to twice a month drive 120 mi round trip to 'town' to shop. Though...that does mean I'm more apt to 'make do' as I can't just run down to the market, and there are no fast food places in our town, so we can't just grab a quick taco or burger.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#16 of 46 Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM

I try to stick to a $60/wk grocery budget for 2 adults.  Some weeks we spend more, some weeks I don't have a budget at all.  Lately I've been stocking up on food with our tax refund because we anticipate losing an income stream in the next few months just in time for the Arizona summer, which may make weekly shopping difficult. 

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods?  Whenever possible yes.  At the very least, I try to have organic milk in the house - since my tummy doesn't like the other stuff.  We do more processed foods than I would like - but I shop local sales and am a coupon queen.  If I can find it for a decent price it gets purchased.  I do try to make alot of meals/staples from scratch including bread and occassionally pastas. 

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)  All of the above.  Whatever is on sale - my 'buy price' is $.99lb or less for fresh or frozen produce and $.50 or less for canned veggies.  Fresh and Easy helps alot with this - their $.98 produce packs have saved my budget many times.  We tend to love stews so I try to have carrots, celery, onions, potatoes and mushrooms on hand all of the time.  When certain fruits or veggies are in season and cheap, I'll buy a bunch and can them.  We also have plans to finally get a raised bed garden going this year. 

3. What do you eat for breakfasts?  Coffee.  Eggs & Toast, cereal, dh loves leftovers, pancakes, etc.

4. What do you eat for snacks?  hardboiled eggs (like to keep them on hand - easy and satisfying), granola bars, popcorn, dh loves chips and salsa or homemade guacamole, fruits

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.)  We are at 104 for food costssts.   .

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering angel2.gif 8/00, angel1.gif 5/04, angel1.gif 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09) & Bella (04/06-06/12)
#17 of 46 Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Lately I've been spending about $45 a week on...

Bananas, spinach, flour, yogurt, apples, kale, carrots, potatoes, tomato sauce, eggs, stuff like that. Plus I'll stock up at Costco every couple months on rice, quinoa, beans, whole chicken, peanut butter, cheese, etc. I'd say half to 3/4 of what I get is organic.

We eat a lot of soup, rice & beans plus a meat (chicken, steak) and veggies (sauteed onions and peppers, shredded lettuce), quinoa burgers, and pizza. I bake a couple loaves of bread a week as well as muffins to snack on. For breakfast my boy and I will have fruit (plain or in smoothies) or oatmeal. My husband doesn't eat a big breakfast--he's good with half a banana or a smoothie until lunch time. Leftovers or muffins for lunch. Sometimes I'll make tortillas and fill them like Salvadoran pupusas with a few fillings (whatever's on hand) and freeze them for my husband to take to work for lunch.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#18 of 46 Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

I spend about $30 a week per person on average.  That includes cleaning products, personal hygiene, some pet products (we have cats, dog, fish, frogs), etc. 

We don't eat out a lot and that also includes packed lunches for dh and ds.

I buy a combination of fresh, frozen and organic produce.  I buy lots of produce.

I try to buy everything on sale and use coupons where I can.  I have a large pantry in the basement, so I stockpile when I can get a really good deal.

We don't eat much in the way of processed foods. 

Breakfast during the week for dh and I is coffee. redface.gif  Ds eats pancakes, waffles, eggs, toast, oatmeal, english muffins or... He likes a lot of variety.

Snacks are fruit, cheese, yogurt, popcorn, granola...

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#19 of 46 Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
We were spending about $350. a month for a family of 7, 2 adults, 2 teenage boys and 2 boys and 1 girl. That is including paper goods and cleaning products. Since December though we have spent a lot less then that. We average now $45 every other week for 2 adults, a 13 year old, 11 year old and 4 year old just because of some issues going on with our family. I do budget about $75.00 for a us a week. 

Okay, I *have* to know what you're eating/where you're buying?!  I've got a family of 6 (DH, me, and 4 boys aged 11, 10, 7 and 4) and my weekly budget is $200 and I cannot fathom any way I could get it lower (don't buy processed foods, no organics, buy in bulk, etc - though that $200 does also include toiletry/cleaning, and pet stuff)  $75/week for 7 people is approximately 50 cents per person per meal (and that's only counting 3 meals a day, no snacks or anything else)   $45 biweekly is 21 cents per person per meal.  That seems utterly impossible to me - please share your secrets! :)  Do you get other food assistance that supplements your budget?

#20 of 46 Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post

Okay, I *have* to know what you're eating/where you're buying?!  I've got a family of 6 (DH, me, and 4 boys aged 11, 10, 7 and 4) and my weekly budget is $200 and I cannot fathom any way I could get it lower (don't buy processed foods, no organics, buy in bulk, etc - though that $200 does also include toiletry/cleaning, and pet stuff)  $75/week for 7 people is approximately 50 cents per person per meal (and that's only counting 3 meals a day, no snacks or anything else)   $45 biweekly is 21 cents per person per meal.  That seems utterly impossible to me - please share your secrets! :)  Do you get other food assistance that supplements your budget?

Mum4boys, I'd love to know too.  Do you use coupons?  Limit milk and other dairy? Do you have other people over for dinner?  Where do you shop?

lather, rinse, repeat
#21 of 46 Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM

I'm waiting for Dmitrizmom to tell us her secrets! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#22 of 46 Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM

I watch for sales on just about everything.  chicken - I won't pay more than 80 cents a pound for the breasts or 60 cents a pound for hindquarters.  When I make chicken for a meal, I will make an extra couple pieces that then become the base for the next meal.  Like this week:

Meal 1: Oven roasted chicken with carrots, celery, onion, and steamed red pepper, cauliflower and broccoli. Total cost: $5.42

Meal 2: chicken enchiladas and bean enchiladas with salad (actually enough for dinner for all and lunches for adults for two additional days): $22.01

Meal 3: Chicken noodle soup and saltine crackers (enough left for lunch).  Cost: approximately $6.75

Meal 4: goulash and buttered bread (with leftovers for lunch): Cost: approx. $9

Meal 5: sandwiches and soup (like canned tomato soup and grilled cheese): Cost: approx $5.58

Meal 6: roast beef with veggies and gravy.  Cost: $10.24

Meal 7: beef soup or stew with bread: Cost: $4.97

Dinner total: ~$64

Lunches:

4 days covered by leftovers

3 days: sandwiches and a side: ~$10

Breakfast:

Day 1: eggs and sausage: $2

Day 2-Day 6: cereal:  $9

Day 7: pancakes and bacon: $4

Breakfast total: $15

Grand total: $89/week

Only way to do it: buy sales when they are hot, make ample use of deep freeze and pantry space to stock up.  Some weeks are more.  Some weeks are less.  This is our last week and is pretty average.  Our grocery store will deep discount produce that is on the edge and price lower for bulk (or on Saturday nights they mark down stuff that they can't keep over Sunday when they are closed), so I watch for that and use it right away (or freeze after initial prep).  If I'm making soup, I stretch it with cheap veggies, broth, noodles - and I try to make enough to cover us for lunch the next day or to freeze for sometime when I don't want to cook.  I have a feeling that this will be going up though, since the cost of beef is going up by over $1/lb. :(

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#23 of 46 Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We spend under $15/person/week. We are a family of 5 and my budget is $75/week. There are MANY weeks that I only spend $30, so the rest balances for those bigger shopping trips to Sam's club or when we have parties or special occasions. I shop at Aldi, coupon, stock up, buy in bulk, and occasionally barter as well. We do eat quite a bit of natural foods and foods from scratch, but not a ton of organic.

My children do get reduced price lunches at school, so two of them eat lunch eat day for $0.40, breakfast is usually cereal, snacks are usually pretzels, popcorn, fruit, or cereal. Those of us who are at home for lunch will usually have leftovers from dinner. I don't usually have a snack myself. And then dinner is usually simple like a roasted chicken and baked potatoes or soup and salad or leftovers.

In order to eat really cheaply, we have to buy according to what is on sale and not what we want. I just got 10 boxes of cereal and 3 gallons of milk today for $1.70 after coupons and a mail-in-rebate. It doesn't matter if we would rather eat Kashi or Greek yogurt... we will be eating cornflakes and crispix for breakfast for awhile. When apples are $1.49 for a 3lb bag, that is what we get rather than those awesome looking raspberries for $4.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#24 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 PM

We are a "family" of 9 right now (counting everyone in our house) but I typically only buy for DS and myself.  Though occasionally, we will have a group meal and everyone will pitch in an item.  Usually that's when we have fish since that's really the only meat I eat.

Not really buying organic very often right now.  I used to, but I'm currently in school and unemployed.  So its just not in the budget unless its on sale and/or I have a coupon.  I do buy whole/natural foods as much as possible, but if I can get prepackaged V8 soup or something nearly free with a coupon, I'm not going to pass it up.  I figure as long as there's no crap on the label, I don't care if it comes in a box. LOL

I never buy frozen or canned fruit.  I just don't like it at all.  I buy strawberries (my weakness), plums, and nectarines for us both and bananas, apples, blueberries, or pears just for DS.  Just depends on what's a good deal that week.  He's more adventurous than I in the food department, so occasionally I will pick up something different if its a good deal.  As for vegetables, we like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and broccoli fresh, though I don't mind frozen broccoli.  Carrots, peas, and lima beans I buy canned or frozen, depending on sales.  Those are my typical staples, but again, I don't want DS to be as picky as I am, so I don't restrict it to just those items.

DS has an egg every morning, plus oatmeal or a small yogurt.  I've been buying the Dannon DanoNino brand.  Its not organic, but its dye/HFCS/preservative free.  Plus, its a smaller portion, so he's able to eat all of it.  When I was buying the YoBaby and YoToddler, a lot would go to waste.  Of course, I could just buy it in the large tubs, which would probably be cheaper, but I can't find a brand not aimed at babies/kids that isn't low fat or fat free.  And DS just doesn't need anything fat free.  Myself, I have coffee every morning and usually just a bit of fruit or maybe a small bowl of cereal.

Fruit, cereal, cheddar cheese cubes (I cut my cheese up myself rather than buy the bags of cheese cubes), and DS also likes granola, carrot sticks, and cherry tomatoes. 

89% in my current town.  Not bad.

One thing I wanted to share about milk if you buy soy, coconut, almond, or some other alternative milk as I do.  If you watch the sales and use coupons, you can save a lot, especially if you aren't brand loyal.  For example, this week at Kroger, 1/2 gallon refrigerated cartons of Silk are $2.  I was able to print 2 $1.25 off 1, 2 $1 off 1, and 4 $.75 off 1 coupons (and you could print more if you have multiple computers).  If I did the math right, that's $2.15 a gallon.  Obviously, you can't stock up TOO much on refrigerated milk, so that brings me to the Almond Dream shelf-stable quarts that were also on sale for $2 each.  I used two coupons for $.50 off (that double to $1) so I got the first two for $1 each.  Then there were blinkie coupons on the shelf for $.55 off making them $1.45 a quart (or less if you're lucky and your store doubles over $.50).  Obviously, they are still quite a bit more per gallon that the current sale on Silk, BUT its still cheaper than the refrigerated 1/2 gallons at full price.  So when the sale is over and my 1/2 gallon cartons run out, I still have a bit of a stash left and don't have to run out and pay $3.55 for a 1/2 gallon.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#25 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Mostly. I don't buy foods with hfcs, artificial flavors, colors etc except for the random candy or something like that.. Mainly I try to shop at Trader Joe's because it's inexpensive, high quality items.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables? (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?)

We buy a lot of apples & bananas. Bananas I purchase at either costco (1.43 a bunch) or Trader Joe's for 19 cents a banana. We also do a lot of frozen fruit for smoothies. Veggies we do salads, celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms etc fresh then , frozen brocoli, corn, etc.

toast, cereals, eggs, yogurt, smoothies

We are having issues with this because my kids have turned into ravenous monkeys.. but apples, yogurt, bananas, granola bars, homemade cookies, etc

The location we shop in is 11.7 percent higher than national average.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#26 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Ugh! I'm new so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but I've tried to edit my post.. but regardless I wanted to add:

We are a family of four, two boys who are 4 & 6 and me who is pregnant, and hubby.

I spend between 50 and 100 dollars a week on groceries. I purchase milk, bread, watermelon and bananas at Costco every week, then every month or so turkey and cheese as well. The rest is spent at Trader Joe's. If anyone's interested I'd love to share our meal plans.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#27 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac5 View Post

1. Do you buy any natural or organic foods? Sometimes. Not always. Cost tends to be more important.

2. What do you do for fruits and vegetables?  (frozen, canned, fresh? wide variety or just the cheapest stuff?) Frozen, fresh or dried mostly. I buy canned tomatoes sometimes. I buy the same thing most of the time and occasionally get something we don't usually have. I don't look for the cheapest thing but what people will eat.

3. What do you eat for breakfasts? It varies by person and day. I eat leftovers frequently. Dd will eat cereal, a sandwich, oatmeal or something. Dh will eat yogurt or a bagel.

4. What do you eat for snacks? It varies. Fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, popcorn, crackers, dried fruit, nuts, granola bars.

5. If you're in the US, how does your location's food costs compare to the national average? (go to http://www.bestplaces.net, search for your location, then click the "cost of living" link above the Overview table.) My location food cost is 91.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#28 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM

We're a family of 6 and I spend an average of $125-150 a week for groceries which includes paper products and cleaning supplies I buy at the grocery store (although I make most of my own and so some of those items are purchased in non-grocery stores).

I try to preserve organic fruits and veggies in the summer but I don't tend to buy them at the grocery store unless they are on sale. I don't buy much in the way of processed items - mostly condiments, pasta and crackers so most of what I buy is in its natural state/single ingredients.

For fruits and veggies we use what we can from our garden and what I can preserve (freeze or can in season). Last year I canned tonnes of tomatoes, peaches, pears, applesauce and frozen lots of berries, rhubarb, beans, zuchini and peppers. This year I hope to be able to freeze peas, and corn and freeze/can more fruit. In the off season we supplement with fresh - based on what is on sale, and as wide a variety as possible. We buy some frozen veggies - spinach, corn, peas primarily and some frozen fruit as we run out of our stores (definitely need more raspberries and strawberries this year). We shop a local farmer's market all year round where we can get good deals on good quality veggies in the winter and I buy seconds of apples cheap cheap which I sort and use to eat fresh or for cooking.

Breakfasts are typically smoothies, baked oatmeal, applesauce or fruit salad with toast/muffins, eggs, or granola, yogurt w fruit.

Snacks: fruit, veggies, baked goods, popcorn, nuts, cheese, granola

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#29 of 46 Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaf617 View Post

We're not even close!!  blush.gif

I spend about $175/week for 2 adults and 2 kids.  (almost 3 and 4.5)  I do buy mostly organic and tons of fresh produce and chicken.  This also includes items like laundry detergent (when I don't make my own), toilet paper, etc.

me neither.  I'm at about $40 per person per week.  Of course since we don't eat grains, soy or most beans (allergies) and the kids don't do dairy or peanuts (again, allergies) so what we're left with is the expensive stuff. I don't know that I could get much lower, but I'm always trying!

I don't do much organic, we do get our eggs from a farm and shot the farmer's markets.  We do eat a good amount of meat, which is necessary for us and not negotiable at this point.  I don't really do many convenience foods as they're not an option.  The exceptions are sweet potato chips, larabars, fruit gummi things on occasion.  I order what I can in bulk (coconut oil, almond butter/flour etc.)

I can't do the school lunch program for obvious reasons so sending foods to school is a pricey situation.  Portable things that fit our criteria are not generally inexpensive.

breakfast are smoothies with almond butter/coconut oil/spinach or kale and fruit, almond meal pancakes or waffles, eggs and hashbrowns or sausage and fruit.  I may occasionally make coconut flour muffins.

Snacks are fruit, nut based things, coconut yogurt if on sale, veggies with dip, sweet potato chips with guacamole etc.

My location food cost is 116.  That ain't helping.

#30 of 46 Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM

We spend about $100-120  a week for a family of 5, so that is what- $20 per person? We eat as much local as we can, with organic when it is on sale. I also shop for shelf stable items every 2 weeks, and stock up when I can. I am also getting involved in our local buying club, so I will be able to get more organic foods for less money. I found that I have to be very creative with our meals and not allow the kids to snack all the time. We also bake a lot, making our own breads.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page