April Get Out of Debt - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mylilmonkeys - Yay - glad that helped you!

Sustainable Investing - Turquesa I think it was you that mentioned sustainable investing.  I had the opportunity to interview author R. Paul Hermann last year and I'd recommend his book, website, etc as a good place to start.

HIP Investor Website - http://www.hipinvestor.com/

HIP Investor - Human Impact + Profit: Making Bigger Profits by Building a Better World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post

mylilmonkeys - Yay - glad that helped you!

Sustainable Investing - Turquesa I think it was you that mentioned sustainable investing.  I had the opportunity to interview author R. Paul Hermann last year and I'd recommend his book, website, etc as a good place to start.

HIP Investor Website - http://www.hipinvestor.com/

HIP Investor - Human Impact + Profit: Making Bigger Profits by Building a Better World

Great link!!  Thanks!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM

It's getting close to the end of the month, I thought I should check in!

I didn't really meet my goals this month, but that is ok - I was hoping to have a larger buffer in my checking account. I still have one more 'payday' this month, but my bills are all paid and I've started on next months budget

BS O: All caught up!

BS 1: 1000 EF Complete!

BS 2: I've had no response about settling two collections debts. As long as they are unwilling to settle, I'll likely not pay them anything. BUT since my father is remodeling a house for my sister (top to bottom, for free) he is going to forgive the 5,500 I owed him! Yay!!! That is a huge weight of my shoulders. I asked him about starting a payment plan and he said "You don't owe me a dime kid."

I've been paying $250 a month on one of my student loans (usually $60) in an attempt to pay it off this year. Funny how you set a goal, then realize how much it will cost to meet that goal. I did the math, including interest, and determined that if I roll the $250 from Loan 1 onto Loan 2 when it's paid, I will be out of student loan debt in January 2013!!! Yay!!! That is much, much sooner than I expected!

In more exciting news....DP and I are buying a house! Hopefully we close before Memorial Day - and don't worry, we are following Dave Ramsey advice! We are putting 25-45% down (depending on closing costs etc) and taking out a 20 year mortgage that is roughly 25% of our take home pay each month. If everything works out and a rental property sells (the home buying is not contingent on the sale, we are just tired of being landlords and want to unload the property) we will have the new home paid off in 3 years!!!!!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM

We.. didn't make much progress this month.  My computer died a painful death and we had to replace it (not having one is not an option) and we are moving in a week and a half.  We should be fine to move and by the time DH gets home from deployment we should have our baby EF in place and everything from the move paid off.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear that it wasn't the best month for goal-reaching in April, perhaps May will be a better month.  We've had a good month here and have stayed focused while we continue to build BS3.  My husband's supervisor called him this morning to let him know he's received a promotion and about a 6% raise.  This was totally unexpected as it is mid-year and we weren't expecting a performance review/pay bump until the end of the company's fiscal year in August.  

Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM

April is turning out to be the usual for us - over budget on food, over budget on gasoline (had two trips this month, and gasoline is obviously skyrocketing), filled up the heating oil tanks and had two dentist visits. So all I can say for April is that we didn't go further into debt, lol.

We did make our usual very small (but anything helps, right?) overpayments on our two remaining loans (student and mortgage). I was happy to note the other day that each month, the mortgage principal payment increases by about 80 cents from the previous month (due to having paid down the balance a little each month and thus less interest). Oh, it's tiny, I know, but I'll take any sign of progress :)

Regarding gasoline, DH took out his bicycle and trailer today, for the first time in a couple of years. He's out right now with DD, running errands and visiting the park. In 2008, we found $4/gallon was also the point where we really worried about gas and used the bicycle frequently, as well as planning errands better.

I had been trying to keep the same grocery budget that we had a couple years ago, but I think I'm going to have to give up. DD is getting older, so she is eating more food, plus inflation on food is huge, and as I eat higher quality foods I find I just can't go back. So food costs are going straight up for us, though we haven't had a raise in years. I stress about this every month when we go over budget; maybe I will feel better just increasing the budget - but I just don't know how to deal with it eating into our sinking funds. We desperately need a raise but I'm just lucky I have a job - seriously lucky. My two bosses, the owners, have been taking HALF pay since January. Obviously I'm not going to ask them for a raise.

I am grateful that we continue to have the money to pay our bills, and we don't have to play games to do it (like trading bills to pay late on or putting anything on a cc). I am grateful that we eat decent food, even if sometimes I go a little hungry. I'm grateful DH and I are totally on the same page and never fight about money. And even if it's painfully slow, we always make progress each month - even if our net worth increases by only $40 (I don't count sinking funds as net worth since they WILL be spent, otherwise there would definitely be months that we go the other way).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

I'm loving small-apartment living!! It's so simple in so many ways (financially, materialistically, and it's nice to be busy doing your own thing, but still be together). We've cut our living expenses in half. Once I start working full time permanently in the fall (with DH going to school) we'll be spending 25% of our income on housing (which is the best ratio we've ever had- we've always stretched ourselves thin)

Way to go Eirual. you live my dream, lol!

User Tag List