Spin off - What income counts as "Low Income" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Let's say for a family size of 3 or 4.  I know it will vary a great deal for different parts of the country.  For what it is worth, I am in the northeast and the cost for housing is very high.

#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

According to my Sociology textbook (published in 2010)

Lower class (not sure if that is technically the same as low income) for a family is: less than $28,000 a year. 

Lower-middle class (or working class) is defined as $28,000 to 49,000 a year per family.

Average-middle class (which is roughly the national average) is: $49,000 to $113,000

Upper-middle class families earn between $113,000 and $200,000

Upper class (the top 5% of the US population) earns more than $200,000

From here they go on to separate upper class into upper-upper and lower-uppers. 

I thought it was all interesting, and would agree that a family of 3-4 people would be "low income" if they made less than $28,000 a year. 

Federal poverty level for a family of 4 is $22,350 currently.  Poverty level, to me, is different than lower-income. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM

I know in a southern state, you can get WIC checks for a family of four if you make under $40,000 a year.  Boy, did we qualify!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

I know in a southern state, you can get WIC checks for a family of four if you make under $40,000 a year.  Boy, did we qualify!

I think WIC's cutoff is under 170% of the Federal Poverty Level.  If I had to give a one size fits all number for "lower income" I would go with that (170% of the poverty level for family size).  Of course, as you point out, it should probably be 170% of a certain value of a local area.  $40K a year is very different in LA or NY compared to $40K in the midwest or parts of the south.  It is especially unfair because poeple making $80K in a high cost of living area have less disposable income than people making $40K in a low cost of living area, don't qualify for govt assistance AND pay higher taxes than say, someone making $70K in a low cost of living area who has it made.

#5 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM

I always want to point out that "poverty level" guideline when I hear people making snide comments about people who rely on TANF (welfare) as being content to live on government hand-outs. I have no doubt that there are some people who want nothing more than to get a free ride from the government, but there are those of us (like me) who are forced into this position and must live like this as a stepping stone on a way to a better life. I feel like a leech sometimes, though, because of the comments of people... and truly, we are not really "living" on TANF, we are just existing.

I get $580 a month in food stamps, and $560 in TANF. Just counting my cash "income" that means my family of 4 - me and 3 kids - get by on $6720 per YEAR. That doesn't factor the food stamps, which are a life-saver, but even so I run out every month what with the cost of food on the rise. We don't go hungry because I stock up, and thankfully we get donations weekly of bread and sometimes frozen meat from the VA. I am not happy to live on hand-outs... it's just where I have to be for now.  And they do not give you enough to live comfortably, which I suppose is good because who would want to better themselves if you could be comfortable on TANF alone?

However, I just look at those numbers and shake my head. Because if that's a "free ride," then there's some people with some really low expectations in life. I look forward to the day I graduate and hopefully get a good job, and then I can get off "the system." thumb.gif

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#6 of 7 Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post

I always want to point out that "poverty level" guideline when I hear people making snide comments about people who rely on TANF (welfare) as being content to live on government hand-outs. I have no doubt that there are some people who want nothing more than to get a free ride from the government, but there are those of us (like me) who are forced into this position and must live like this as a stepping stone on a way to a better life. I feel like a leech sometimes, though, because of the comments of people... and truly, we are not really "living" on TANF, we are just existing.

I get $580 a month in food stamps, and $560 in TANF. Just counting my cash "income" that means my family of 4 - me and 3 kids - get by on $6720 per YEAR. That doesn't factor the food stamps, which are a life-saver, but even so I run out every month what with the cost of food on the rise. We don't go hungry because I stock up, and thankfully we get donations weekly of bread and sometimes frozen meat from the VA. I am not happy to live on hand-outs... it's just where I have to be for now.  And they do not give you enough to live comfortably, which I suppose is good because who would want to better themselves if you could be comfortable on TANF alone?

However, I just look at those numbers and shake my head. Because if that's a "free ride," then there's some people with some really low expectations in life. I look forward to the day I graduate and hopefully get a good job, and then I can get off "the system." thumb.gif

Well, this is another topic altogether, but I totally 100% support anyone who is eligible for governmental assitance taking it.  I know lots of people who get more than a $6K tax refund just based on their mortgage interest tax deduction *alone* and if society is going to support *that* they sure better support a minimum standard of living for everyone (which I don't think IS what happens, but it sure should).

#7 of 7 Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Well, this is another topic altogether, but I totally 100% support anyone who is eligible for governmental assistance taking it. 

Me, too.  And regarding poverty and low income being different terms - many programs have higher income limits than your standard 'poverty level'.  Applicants can earn up to 200% of FPL (so even higher than the 170% you were talking about up-thread)  and for a family of 4, that is like $45,000 a year.  Which, to me, is borderline between lower income to middle-class. But like you said, that is why middle-class families, if they are above those limits, often have less disposable income than someone who earns $5-10K or so less a year.  Tax refunds are a big part of that, too. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page