Extreme Couponing. How do They do it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to share, I felt like I hit the coupon jackpot today!

I went to Dollar Tree last night to try to pick up a paper.  I was originally going to skip the papers this week, I didn't really feel like there was much in there I needed/wanted.  Well, then my mom let me know that there were coupons for Silk Soymilk, $1 off a half gallon.  Well, didn't get there until JUST after they closed, but I saw that they still had papers left.

So I headed over there this morning.  I grabbed 2 papers, but then, with permission of the managment, I went through the other papers and grabbed a few more of the inserts.  AND, score, there were 2 Silk coupons, each one $1 off a half gallon, in each insert.  This is the only milk DH can drink, and he often puts it in his coffee too.  It's like $3 a half gallon here, so $1 off a half gallon is a big deal.  For just $2, I got eight of these coupons.  So that right there is a big savings.  That doesn't even count some of the other coupons I will use.

Then, I stopped by the recycle bin on my way back home.  It appears someone emptied their recycling today.  I found a home mailer from Joann's, complete with several 50% off any one regularly priced item.  I sew, so that's a big deal too.  I can't believe someone pitched out their home mailer!  Anyway, I also picked up several inserts from last month.  I will probably only use about 3 coupons from each one, and most of those pet food ones, but since I didn't pay anything for them and it won't take much time at all to cut what I need, that's awsome. 

All in all, I probably picked up about $60 or so worth of coupons I will use, including fabric, pet food, milk, frozen veggies (several of those $0.50 off 2 that we discussed earlier in the thread, since my stores double, those are just like $1 off 2, wooo whoo!!) and deoderant (whic is $0.50 iff any one, doubles to $1, and that deoderant often sells for $1 on sale) all for just $2, plus the minute cost of the gas to go to the dollar store. 

#32 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM

I read an article that exposed these extreme couponers as committing fraud to make these sales. Without getting into too much detail they were using coupons with higher values on different products that had the same family code. Or using them on the wrong size item. Basicly your cashier would have to be asleep to let these go through. Clearly these stores were letting it happen. So while you can get some sweet deals with coupons, it would be difficult to actually ring up these kinds of sales using coupons properly. And since I got that out of the way.....I want to address the "coupons are only for processed crap" comment. I too was on that soapbox years ago. And in am in debt because of it. I used to go over my budget buying only organic foods so much so that I covered the excess with my credit card. I watched my bill rise every week and it made me SICK. So when I started following the coupon blogs at the recommendation of a friend I customised it in such a way the works for my family. I switched stores to a doubling store and have cut my budget down by 1/3. Some of my best stock ups have been for oatmeal, coconut milk, almonds, beans, tomatoes, breads, flours, sugar, yeast, organic yogurt, cheese, soups, stock..... and i could go on and on. Yes, I do buy a few things that would have never been on my list a few years ago. A couple weeks ago I got 4 boxes of duncan hines brownie mix for free. But its sitting in my cupboard for that time where I need to make a dessert for a get together and I'm out of ingredients. And I do have canned fruit (in juice) in the pantry in case we run out of fresh and my kids are hungry for it. The toiletries really do make for a big defecit in my budget too. I don't cloth diaper for many reasons, and even the generics are at least 6.99/pack but at Rite aid with sales and coupons I can get huggies as low as $3 a pack. I stock up at those prices so that I don't have to spend $7 a week on diapers. Same with shampoo. I get it nearly free at drugstores so that when I need it I can shop out of my cupboard instead of buy the shampoo I like because I need it when it is full price. I have enough free toothpaste, dental floss, and contact solution to last me a year. And toilet paper....I used to buy the generic but then when I did a cost comparison based on how many sheets there was I realised that yes indeed I am saving money by buying a name brand with a coupon when its on sale. Its just a matter of putting a little math and patience into the scenario. I know this is the extreme couponing thread, but it always bums me out when I hear people bashing coupons. Not everyone has the luxury of shopping organic and while I see a lot of junky coupons there are also a lot of good ones. Plus, you can donate anything that you get for free or cheap that you wouldn't eat. When it comes down to it, someone with no food would rather eat hamburger helper than starve.
Purple*Lotus likes this.
#33 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We buy around multiple food allergens which leaves us eating predominantly whole foods.  But we do use coupons for health & beauty (well, health) stuff like toilet paper, soap, etc.  I laxed my standards on laundry detergent when I read conflicting ideas of what was environmentally okay and what was not.  We use dryer balls for softening.  I occasionally splurge on deli meat but we can only buy Hormel Natural Choice (gluten, casein, soy, corn, dye and nitrate/nitrite free  :D) and just found coupons for that in this week's paper... so I'll now go online and buy more of those on eBay since summer is coming and I need to pack a disposable bag lunch for when ds goes to camp.

We are dairy free but man, can I find deals on coconut milk.  Whole Foods is currently running a deal where the shelf-stable boxes are 2/$4.  Add the case discount (I forget how many you have to buy for that... 6?  12?  Not sure because I'm usually buying 20) and it's another 10% off (which they do even for fresh produce, btw--you just have to ask how much of the produce qualifies for a "case discount" because it's not on the little price label on the shelf like everything else).  I'm not sure how many coupons they allow per product per transaction, but I just scored 7 $1 coupons for the coconut milk.  I've used 2 of those at a time, but I've never had more than 2 before now.

I also dye my hair, and between coupons and CVS--that's a score.

I think the misconception is that "groceries" equals "food".  Agreed that because the bulk of my food is meat & produce, I'm not able to use coupons on it.  I've never found coupons for the large bag rice, beans (who's got bean coupons?!?!?  SHARE!) or untreated nuts.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#34 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 PM

did anyone see this http://www.jillcataldo.com/node/16258

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#35 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

Yup.  I saw it.  And I have to wonder if any of the manufacturers that have been scammed are going to press charges.  The woman outlined in the link you gave was not only on TV, but has apparently been doing YouTube videos and local talks for quite a while.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#36 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Thank you so much for this link.  I have already learned so much!!!

#37 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM

What I got for free today (and how I got it free):

A dozen eggs-free dozen eggs coupon sent to me by Kroger

A bag of frozen green beans-same as above

A bottle of salad dressing-same

A bottle of ketchup (with no HFCS)-Kroger e-coupon for a bottle of ketchup when you buy chicken

3 loaves of bread-Aunt Millies bread (no HFCS) on sale for 10 for $10 get 11th free used $1 off a $3 bread purchase meijer coupon and a $2 off your next order coupon

A cucumber-my 11th item free as part of the 10 for $10 sale get the 11th item free

Cat food-Friskies kitty treats (which is really not any different than their kitty food) on sale 5 for $5 (seperate from above sale) had 7 $1 off 1 coupons, so picked up 7 pouches.  THEN, on 5 of those, there were coupons for buy this pouch, get a free can of this new wet food.  So I grabbed 5 cans of that.  Which means a total of 13 servings of free cat food.

The Kroger coupons are regularly sent out by Kroger to folks who have Kroger cards.  The coupons are tailored to the customer based on what they buy using the card.  I think they come out about every 6 months.  I have one for $5 off a $50 order sitting in my binder that I haven't had a chance to use because I haven't had a $50 order. 

The Meijer coupons are catalina coupons that spit out of the Catalina machine, by the receipt machine, at the register aftter you check out.  They are sometimes specific to the store, and other times the Catalina company has special promotions.  In this specific case, the two I used on the bread were specific to Meijer. 

#38 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM

New to the board and not super crunchy but wanted to add, my original goals with coupons was to save on cleaning products and pet foods as well as anything household. So TP, tin foil that sort of thing. WE have saved so much I've migrated over to clipping for food. I do admit I buy processed stuff but Most of what I save on is Pet food. I wish I could find more coupons for juice around here. I'm very picky on that. (must be 100% juice, no artificial sweeteners, or HFCS)And I wish I could get hubby to be less picky on some things but since he is and I can't change him or convince him to try new things all at once, we use the coupons.

We eat more junk than we should, but we've limited it a LOT in the last year and a half. I don't want my kids eating fruit roll-ups and pringles instead of strawberries. I want them to like baby carrots, and tomatoes, and apples, and such. We use tortilla chips instead of other kinds, we found natural snacks instead of junk, I've even found 100% natural fruit snacks and we pop our own popcorn in an air popper and limit the butter.

I feel so much better all ready and can't wait to get even healthier. We're just doing to slowly to reduce cravings and such. )

We don't save the huge amounts the couponers I know or see on t.v. do but we save enoug hto stay in our budget, and not overdraft our bank account. And our pets are happy and fed, and tht is the important thing right now!

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#39 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Yes! I read that over the weekend. It really makes me sick to be honest. I hope people like that don't end up ruining things for those of us who coupon honestly and ethically. I really hope she has to face some kind of repercussions for being dishonest.

In regards to bean coupons, the one that I'm aware of was a few months ago. There was a printable coupon for $.50 off any progresso product. My grocery store doubles, and canned progresso beans were $1, so free after coupon. I got a ton of free chickpeas for making hummus, but my little hummus monsters have totally plowed through them and I used up my last can this week. I use dried beans normally (except for kidney beans) but I couldn't pass up free!

#40 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinbopbop View Post

New to the board and not super crunchy but wanted to add, my original goals with coupons was to save on cleaning products and pet foods as well as anything household. So TP, tin foil that sort of thing. WE have saved so much I've migrated over to clipping for food. I do admit I buy processed stuff but Most of what I save on is Pet food. I wish I could find more coupons for juice around here. I'm very picky on that. (must be 100% juice, no artificial sweeteners, or HFCS)And I wish I could get hubby to be less picky on some things but since he is and I can't change him or convince him to try new things all at once, we use the coupons.

We eat more junk than we should, but we've limited it a LOT in the last year and a half. I don't want my kids eating fruit roll-ups and pringles instead of strawberries. I want them to like baby carrots, and tomatoes, and apples, and such. We use tortilla chips instead of other kinds, we found natural snacks instead of junk, I've even found 100% natural fruit snacks and we pop our own popcorn in an air popper and limit the butter.

I feel so much better all ready and can't wait to get even healthier. We're just doing to slowly to reduce cravings and such. )

We don't save the huge amounts the couponers I know or see on t.v. do but we save enoug hto stay in our budget, and not overdraft our bank account. And our pets are happy and fed, and tht is the important thing right now!

On the juice, check out old orchard.  There are frequently coupons out for it.  The concentrates are a good deal because they are still 100% juice, no added sugar, flavors or anything else and because they are concentrates, you can dilute them with additional water when you make it, decreasing the total sugar per serving.  Frequently you can get $0.50 off one or BOGO coupons for it.  And at least at my stores, they often go on sale for $1 each.

http://oldorchard.com/promotions/#/show/offers/juice-coupons/

Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post

Yes! I read that over the weekend. It really makes me sick to be honest. I hope people like that don't end up ruining things for those of us who coupon honestly and ethically. I really hope she has to face some kind of repercussions for being dishonest.

In regards to bean coupons, the one that I'm aware of was a few months ago. There was a printable coupon for $.50 off any progresso product. My grocery store doubles, and canned progresso beans were $1, so free after coupon. I got a ton of free chickpeas for making hummus, but my little hummus monsters have totally plowed through them and I used up my last can this week. I use dried beans normally (except for kidney beans) but I couldn't pass up free!

I hope she does too.  They just did a little teaser blurb on my news, just now, about new rules stores are considering so people can't do "extreme couponing" anymore.  I am interested to see what they say, I hate that it just takes a couple of bad apples with delusions of grandure to screw it up for everyone.

#41 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom View Post

Besides any good couponer knows that you get mustard for free.  orngbiggrin.gif I would NEVER pay .39 for mustard.  That is outrageous! 

I thought the same thing also but after thinking it over she must have used money making coupons to make the the mustard free or else she would have paid $15.60 alone for mustard.

I buy a lot of high processed food because I either get it free or more then likely I make a lots of money on it which I use the overage to buy things that I would actually feed my family. I then donate the items my family does not eat to the food bank because I know if my kids were hungry and I had no means to feed them I would not hesitate to give them the junk.

Last week, I was able to snag 3 pounds of organic steak from Albertson's for 27 cents for the whole thing. It was in the reduction bin and had been marked down plus each package had $3.00 off in store coupons plus I had 2- $2.00 off any meat that I got for buying my son summer sausage for boy scout trip that he needed. Plus I had gotten the summer sausage on sale also.

I wonder about the stock pile of these people. I am sure it is mostly for the show. Any good couponer knows the cycle of coupons and store items. For example I know I only need a years worth of toothpaste on hand because every January I will get free toothpaste again. So any overages for the year in toothpaste gets donated. So I do not have this massive stockpile at the most I have a years worth of items.

Oh and the time these people are spending. INSANE! I spend at the most an hour a week and that is with me multitasking. I do not believe in binders. I keep it simple. Because we homeschool we get 10 newspaper on Sunday plus we have a newspaper subscription for a total of 11 Sunday papers. I pull out the coupons on Sunday and bundle. I write on top the date it came out of the paper and the last expiration date of the coupon. So I will know on any given date if I can recycle that set of coupons because all that is left is expired ones. When the sales flyers come out I take a quick cruise of them but I mostly match what I have with the blogs out there. I belong to several. I never cut coupons either. I just rip the page(s) that I need from the store as we grab that item(s) my kids continue to rip the coupon down to size as we are shopping.

Heidi
#42 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM

yeah she spent $24 on mustard.  crazy.  i think we only go through 2 bottles a year

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#43 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

I wonder about the stock pile of these people. I am sure it is mostly for the show. Any good couponer knows the cycle of coupons and store items. For example I know I only need a years worth of toothpaste on hand because every January I will get free toothpaste again. So any overages for the year in toothpaste gets donated. So I do not have this massive stockpile at the most I have a years worth of items.

I think there must also be a bit of a hoarder mentality going on.   

My mom and dad would have qualified as extreme couponers.  We lived in a large house and there was excess stock shoved in everywhere.  My mom would buy cases of shampoo and tampons for  yet she and I were the only two women in the house and my dad was bald.  Once I figured it out that even if everyone of us (3 in the house) used one trash bag per day for the rest of our lives, we would never run out of trash bags.  The four commercial size chest freezers stocked with frozen pizzas and tv dinners were a sight to behold.  My mom was a pro.  I remember her planning out her weekly strategy to hit three or four grocery stores to maximize the savings.  We had so much of everything!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#44 of 57 Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM

I fall into Velochic's camp. I really think she is my twin by other parents...

Anyhow, I personally do not use coupons because it just dosent work with our lifestyle or what products we purchase. Like said already, I also noticed about 95% of the products the people on the show purchased, we would not buy or give to our family. I live in the chicago area and there are no stores in my area who do double coupon days etc so it dosent help me. But a friend of mine is happy to take my coupon flyers each and every sunday from two papers we get delivered and have her way with them. I see no problem with this  at all nor do I think she is wrong to  use and buy the products I dont buy with  coupons. Her family, their diet, not mine. Just like I prefer people not to put us down for our natural lifestyle, I try to do the same.

For tp (we dont do family cloth) the target brand is the best for us. Buy it every few weeks or months because of a great sale, we are set.

Meats are purchased bulk once a year in sides and chicken on sale which I buy more of since I have a large freeezer. We also can grow foods, have organic produce delivered and as said, cook about 95% from scratch and purchase ingredients at a restrnt store  so we are pretty set that way.

ETA, had to go so need to add...

Like has been already said, most of the products that are showing coupons, I dont use the products. If I stumble across something we use, yes I would use the coupon, but I see myself buying to use the coupon otherwise. I find store brands for several items to work well and usually they are less expensive or on sale so it works fine.  I also use more natural products which can be purchased as a pp said, on the frontier co-op which I have run on my own for years. Also said, I didnt see a lot  of fresh products being purchased and again, we use a lot of fresh produce and organic in our diet. I as velochic, am not trying to look down on anyone, I have used my own resources to purchase good organic produce  as well as grow etc. I agree since we are discussing extreme couponing, if anyone of those people featured who spent hours researching and climbing in dumpsters, sttockpiling enough stuff they got for free, enough to find themselves on hoarders next,, took half that time to plan out their meals, their homes etc, they might find themselves saving more money and not have all those piles of stuff everywhere. Or they could use these resources to donate. I mean how long does it take to  eat 90 boxes of cereal? I would rather stock up on 5 or so, donate the rest so several families can reap in the benefits.

FWIW, I am glad to know the mamas on this sight who are couponing, are not doing it for hamburger helper (LOL) etc but for good items if that is the case. I have also seen the other extreme, otthers who have taken my coupons from my Sunday papers who are buying the processed stuff etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#45 of 57 Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Remember we discussed the Birdseye Steamfresh earlier in the thread?  Just want to give a heads up, particularly for anyone who has both a Meijer and a Kroger.

This sale week, (which for most ends tomorrow, for Indy folks, has just begun yesterday) Kroger has Birdseye Steamfresh for 10 for $10.  But, next sale cycle (for for most, starting Sunday, for Indy folks, starting a week from yesterday) they are going to be on sale at Meijer for 89c each.  So, if you have coupons fo these, hold on to them.  If you don't have coupons, time to start looking!

#46 of 57 Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I read this thread with interest...I don't use coupons, mostly because I hardly ever shop at the grocery store (we shop at Trader Joe's, and fill in the gaps at Target, Costco, farmer's markets/CSA in season). I did check out some of the coupon blogs listed here, though, and wanted to give them a little shout out - it's really cool that these bloggers figure out the deals for you! I found out I could get organic half and half for .29/pint, and YoBaby four-packs for $1 each, just by printing coupons from online. Pretty neat! I think I'll start scanning the blogs once a week to see if there's anything I could use.
#47 of 57 Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM

I spotted this on one of the blogs/forums and had to share it here

http://www.weusecoupons.com/upload/wuc-blog/142608-reality-tv-v-our-reality.html

And also this one because we were talking about eating healthy.

http://www.weusecoupons.com/upload/articles/142759-losing-weight-budget.html

#48 of 57 Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Remember we discussed the Birdseye Steamfresh earlier in the thread?  Just want to give a heads up, particularly for anyone who has both a Meijer and a Kroger.

This sale week, (which for most ends tomorrow, for Indy folks, has just begun yesterday) Kroger has Birdseye Steamfresh for 10 for $10.  But, next sale cycle (for for most, starting Sunday, for Indy folks, starting a week from yesterday) they are going to be on sale at Meijer for 89c each.  So, if you have coupons fo these, hold on to them.  If you don't have coupons, time to start looking!

If you live where there is an Albertson's, Washington, Idaho, and California the Birdseye Steamers are free this week with the coupon doubler. The coupons where in the March 20th paper.

Heidi
#49 of 57 Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Very interesting thread and discussion. 

The stores near me don't double or accept internet coupons either. We're not extreme about coupons, but I do find them useful. My parents save them for us. We subscribe to the town paper, but the Sunday paper is such a behemoth that I don't want another one! 

I have found some really good coupons lately: Silk milks, a brand of cherry tomatoes, Nasoya tofu, Pyrex glass, Fiber One cereal etc. They do make a difference with rising food prices. 

The closest thing I do to "extreme" couponing is stacking the coupons I find with the sales of the week in order to get free or nearly free items. I can walk out with a sack of good stuff from CVS, usually with about $15 out of pocket. 

#50 of 57 Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

If you live where there is an Albertson's, Washington, Idaho, and California the Birdseye Steamers are free this week with the coupon doubler. The coupons where in the March 20th paper.

I am in Indianapolis, no Albertson's here.  Did you maybe get different coupons, cause the ones I got on the 20th were 50c off 2.  Did you maybe get 50c off 1?  If so, I would love to trade!!!:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post

Very interesting thread and discussion. 

The stores near me don't double or accept internet coupons either. We're not extreme about coupons, but I do find them useful. My parents save them for us. We subscribe to the town paper, but the Sunday paper is such a behemoth that I don't want another one! 

I have found some really good coupons lately: Silk milks, a brand of cherry tomatoes, Nasoya tofu, Pyrex glass, Fiber One cereal etc. They do make a difference with rising food prices. 

The closest thing I do to "extreme" couponing is stacking the coupons I find with the sales of the week in order to get free or nearly free items. I can walk out with a sack of good stuff from CVS, usually with about $15 out of pocket. 

Yeah, the most recent Silk Coupons were FABULOUS.  $1 off 1, plus my store has their own store coupon to stack it with.  Even without a sale, that makes it a pretty good deal. 

#51 of 57 Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Yeah, I redeemed at a different grocery store than my usual, because my usual doesn't carry Silk Almond. I got a catalina coupon for 75 cents off of Silk too. Combining the two, I can get a 1/2 gallon of Silk for $2.25. That's pretty respectable. 

My parents had two copies of those, so I've got enough Silk Coupons for a month or so. 

Another thing I don't get about couponing with multiple copies of the same coupon. Around here, it's one coupon per item purchased. Are some people able to use, for example, all 4 Silk coupons to get 2 Silks for free? 

#52 of 57 Old 04-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post

Yeah, I redeemed at a different grocery store than my usual, because my usual doesn't carry Silk Almond. I got a catalina coupon for 75 cents off of Silk too. Combining the two, I can get a 1/2 gallon of Silk for $2.25. That's pretty respectable. 

My parents had two copies of those, so I've got enough Silk Coupons for a month or so. 

Another thing I don't get about couponing with multiple copies of the same coupon. Around here, it's one coupon per item purchased. Are some people able to use, for example, all 4 Silk coupons to get 2 Silks for free? 

Nope, just stacking like you are.  You can in some cases use multiple store coupons, like at CVS.  For example, if you are buying diapers there, you could use a $3 off a box from Pampers, then if you have a CVS coupon that says something like save $3 off your next baby purchase, then one that says save $3 off a $15 purchase and then ECBs on top of that, you can stack all those together.  But you can't use $1 off 1 Silk and then $0.75 off Silk on the same half gallon.

The only exception to the 1 coupon per item purchase is with a BOGO coupon and a $x off 1 coupon, and that's going to depend on the store.  As an example, if you have a $1 off 1 Silk coupon AND a Buy One Get One Free Silk coupon, you can, at some stores, use the $1 off 1 Silk coupon for the 1 you are buying and then use the BOGO to get a second one free.  So if Silk is $3 for a half gallon, you could use the $1 off 1 to get it for $2 for a half gallon, then use the BOGO to get a second half gallon (there is no BOGO out for it currently that I know of, it's just an example :D ) Most stores that I know of will allow this, some have a coupon policy that doesn't allow it.  The reason it works is because the discount on the BOGO applies to the second half gallon, not the first. 

#53 of 57 Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

I saw the ad for the show, but haven't seen it, so take this for what it's worth.  OK - I have to ask this because this is always the question that pops into my mind when I hear about these things...  I get a newspaper (free, local) every weekend and they have coupons.  I diligently search through them and usually find one or two things we will eat (organic yogurt, bread, a local restaurant coupon), but for the most part, the coupons are for extremely processed, high-fat, high-sodium foods that we simply don't eat.  If these people are saving so much money in food, do they not realize that they are going to be paying for it down the line with health care costs? 

I haven't read through all the responses yet  but wanted to mention that our local health food store has coupon books called Mambo Sprouts that contains coupons for the stuff we really buy (organic cheese and yogurt, tamari, gluten-free items).  I know we've saved a little money with those!  

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#54 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 AM

I've been couponing for 5 years and I have no clue how the people in that show can go from a $900 bill to $12.00.. I will say that out "unwritten rule" is out the window. I see so many ladies at the grocery store with notebooks like mine and they are clearing out the shelves and newspaper stands. I live in a small area and have to travel to shop so if I miss a deal I need to let it go. New couponers need to learn not to steal papers from machines and not to clear the shelves. :0)

#55 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Simo View Post

I've been couponing for 5 years and I have no clue how the people in that show can go from a $900 bill to $12.00.. I will say that out "unwritten rule" is out the window. I see so many ladies at the grocery store with notebooks like mine and they are clearing out the shelves and newspaper stands. I live in a small area and have to travel to shop so if I miss a deal I need to let it go. New couponers need to learn not to steal papers from machines and not to clear the shelves. :0)

I don't know how this happens, either.  Where I live, even if you had that many coupons (which would be nuts!), you'd still have to pay the tax on everything.  On $900, that's at least $30 or so. 

#56 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I coupon for myself and my hubby. We don't follow the "rules" of couponing per say to get the BEST deals but we get the best deals for us. (we're a bit picky.) For example one thing I was taught was to never be brand specific. For example cat litter is not the same across brands. I've tried the stuff I can get for 1.00 and with this preggo nose it is NOT happening and it's a waste of 1.00 considering how awful it works. So we buy the expensive stuff instead. This is one case but we have several things like this. Also if you want juice without corn syrup and such then you will have to learn when those deals are and stock up for a bit as the "good" stuff takes longer to go on sale. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin4kids View Post

Here are some questions to ponder.

1. None of the stores near me double $1 coupons. Do these people have great stores with awesome deals I do not have?

2. Most coupons are for $1 off 2-3 name brand items. Am I missing something? This is NOT a deal. I could buy the store brand for less.

3. Where do they get so many coupons? Are they buying 100s of news papers every week? Are they printing out coupons?

4. If they are printing off coupons, can you copy a printed coupon?

5. What system are they using to keep track of all those coupons?

So does anyone else want to try this out? I mean really, there has to be a way to save on food.

We have a budget of 60.00 each week for 2 people. Though we have been going over a bit lately with so many people around us having birthdays and weddings lately. :P 
1.) we have one store that will double .99 cent coupons or less. No one dollar ones. The stores in these shows break the rules for the show. Most stores only allow either a certain number of coupons per checkout, or a even a certain number of checkouts. Some stores are more picky on what they will double than others. For example. I rarely shop at ingles because ours only doubles 3 coupons that are 50c or less, per 10.00 spent. Not really worth it unless you are stocking up on meat and produce too put you over the amount for coupons you want doubled. 

2.) Coupons are different in different areas. I know for a fact that they also vary by time of year. So frozen food coupons tend to happen early in the year, and then later in th year their "value" goes down. If I know of a good one I'll find it through a clipping service on e-bay, or some other site. 

3.) See previous answer. I typically pay for someone to clip 15-20 coupons of the same type for me. I have a price I'm willing to pay and will put it on my watch list till it shows up for that price then snatch it up! You can print out coupons but I find most are not for products I buy. It's worth checking out though! 

4.) NO. Copying coupons though possible is illegal. Coupons are considered legal tender in many states. And copying them is like making money. Illegal. it also get's the store in trouble with the manufacturer and as a result they may not put that item on sale as often or will restrict what coupons they accept. So it hurts everyone. 

5.) There's many different ways to do it. I use the binder and baseball card sleeves, Some only clip for the trip and will take the inserts out of the paper, date the front with a sharpie and file till the sale. Then they clip what they need and put the insert back in the file. Some use spreadsheets, some use envelopes, some clip only exactly what they will use, etc. You can try many different methods to see what works for you. 

Hope that helps! The best way to deal with the must buy 2-3 items for 1.00 off is to wait for them to go bogo or on a really good sale. Then store brand isn't cheaper. I try to save certain coupons for those deals. Like pet food coupons for example, or cereal. Also a lot of cleaning and personal care products are cheaper at the drug store than the grocery store. So I try to shop there for things like toothbrushes and razors. I haven't bought a new razor or blade in over 2 years because I am so stocked up. I buy shampoo, and deodorant every 3-6 months. I buy cat food about every 4 months, etc. 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#57 of 57 Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 AM

BetsyS,

I think they get it that low, by actually "making" money on items (paying -1.00 after coupons). Some items, they will say that they are buying it only because it's a "moneymaker", meaning the price is negative. You see that on the episodes with things like candy bars (Mentos in one episode). So some stores then factor all the negatives in to the final price. But some stores will not do that.

Or with those catalinas (coupons that print at register) that say "5.00 off next visit when you spend $50 or more."  And I think they take that from the first transaction, and use it on the second transaction.

Then some people also get points on their store card, by buying a certain item. Then those store points can be used like cash. I saw that in a recent episode with the guy from Long Island with the 9 months pregnant wife. So maybe those points further bring down the total.

I am not an extreme couponer, I just use them kind of casually to save money. But I am fascinated by how people do this, so I've been watching the episodes closely to try to figure it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page