Mothering Forum banner

Spring low income support thread (April/May)

9K views 94 replies 26 participants last post by  mamayogibear 
#1 ·
I have missed this thread over the last month and could really use some support. I'd love to hear how everyone is doing!

I am trying to stay positive but I am really depressed and just frustrated with wondering when we are going to be able to stop worring about every frigging penny. I should be happy since DH actually has a buyer he is working with but he has been working with them for almost 2 months and they just can't seem to get an offer accepted. I am going to start doing laundry at my mom's to save money and while I am there I am going to clean the house to earn a little too. I might get hired to do child care at our church too which will help. These are all wondrful things but they just aren't enough. I am so tired of nothing ever being enough...

#27 ·
The apartment lease is turned in. Whatever happens, happens however I'm hoping for the best. The leasing agent said it all 'looked good' and they should know by Friday. Really the only thing that would cause and issue would be a felony(i dont have one of those) or an eviction in the past 12 months (mine is 3 years). So hopefully I get the place. If I do, the apt should be ready on 5/6/11.

Nope, zebra does not have a felony... bummer LOL

#28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

The apartment lease is turned in. Whatever happens, happens however I'm hoping for the best. The leasing agent said it all 'looked good' and they should know by Friday. Really the only thing that would cause and issue would be a felony(i dont have one of those) or an eviction in the past 12 months (mine is 3 years). So hopefully I get the place. If I do, the apt should be ready on 5/6/11.

Nope, zebra does not have a felony... bummer LOL
Haha but a felony would make you soooo much cooler right? :p

I hope the lease goes through quickly and you can get in :) I can't imagine dealing with the dog/roommate issues, especially with my kids!

I've had a rough day today. DH now has 2 part time jobs (Yay!) The issue is we still don't have any money until one of us gets paid (sometime next week.) Food stamps don't come in until the 4th so I'm trying to make meals off of what we have and the few things we were able to buy tonight. Dinner isn't a problem. Lunch has been my biggest issue. We usually only have enough dinner to cover feeding everyone for dinner, so leftovers aren't really there. I just have to stick it out until wednesday. I can deal with bill payments being a little ahead/behind. I can't deal with not feeding my family.

#29 ·
Mommy2Austin, have you thought about visiting a food bank or church pantry? This is the kind of situation they're there for. Or do you qualify for WIC? I think some offices can get you an emergency intake if you're in dire straits.

We're doing ok. DH has been having some medical problems and that's costing $$$, but so far he's gotten some overtime and I've got two shifts scheduled next month at the school I used to work for, so I think we can cover it. I really don't want to dig into our savings this early in the year. DH's problem isn't life threatening but it is really compromising his quality of life. I don't want to go into details because it is personal but man, it's hard.

Zebra, I really hope you get the apartment!

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

Mommy2Austin, have you thought about visiting a food bank or church pantry? This is the kind of situation they're there for. Or do you qualify for WIC? I think some offices can get you an emergency intake if you're in dire straits.

We're doing ok. DH has been having some medical problems and that's costing $$$, but so far he's gotten some overtime and I've got two shifts scheduled next month at the school I used to work for, so I think we can cover it. I really don't want to dig into our savings this early in the year. DH's problem isn't life threatening but it is really compromising his quality of life. I don't want to go into details because it is personal but man, it's hard.

Zebra, I really hope you get the apartment!
I've tried looking locally, but haven't been able to locate any pantries/food banks. We do have WIC and were able to get some of the checks tonight. It's the gas for the car that's the hard part. The store isn't close enough the walking to and from is feasible especially with perishable food :/

#31 ·
Hey everyone, first time posting here.

In the past 2 months we have gone from a 2 income family to a 1 income family (mother moved and was no longer able to watch DS), to a NO income family (DHs employer downsized). EEEP!

We are getting $300 a month in foodstamps, but have no income at all. DH has filed for unemployment and we are waiting to see if that gets approved. I have an immune system condition that requires frequent trips to the DR and costly medications, so we have nothing saved or set aside.

DH is pounding the pavement searching for a new job, I'm trying to sell some things on ebay and craigslist just so we have a bit of $ for diapers and little things like that.

Hope this coming month brings better times for everyone!

#33 ·
Foxmama- So sorry to hear about the untimely unemployment! Hope DH can find something soon or at least get approved for unemployment!

I had a pretty good day. DH started his first job today. He's bouncing at a night club and they have a big concert tonight and needed people to unload the equipment for the band. He got paid $50 cash for it :) The club owners saw how good of a job he did and asked him to come back at 6pm to do secuirty (originally they didn't want him to come until 11pm.) He's not expected to get out until 4 am, but it will make for a nice little check next week. Monday he starts his other job at the pizza place. I've missed him a bunch after getting so used to seeing him all day/everyday, but I know this is what we need :)

#34 ·
Hello all,

I was on here maybe a year ago, and just never kept up..but I'm back again! I'm a full time nursing student and DH is also a full time student. We are living off of mostly state benefits and loan reimbursement money for the time being. I work part time, but DH does not right now. We have tried having him work full time and school full time and it pretty much almost ended our marriage because of the strain, so we have decided it's more important to have time together than make money until we get through school. Usually we do pretty well in our situation, but right now I'm transitioning to summer income,which basically means loan money is gone and I need to get some hours at work to cover our expenses of gas and what FS doesn't cover. We are in that weird boat of being students, where they disqualify you from the full FS allowance because of being students but one of gets requalified because of Ds. So that means we get FS for two people in our family instead of 3. I do home health which is totally variable and makes it really frustrating for our benefits. I end up in these situations where I work a lot of hours for a month, my benefits get cut and then right after that, I lose a bunch of hours. Anyway, I'm taking my LPN test this summer, so hoping that will make me both get more work hours and also make those hours count more, but this period of living off of nothing while I work all the time, and guzzle through gas but haven't been paid yet, is stress causing!

So is it terrible that we are planning to TTC this next Fall? I will be graduating next May and hopefully will get work fairly soon after that. But Ds is 4 already and we really wanted to have another one without our kids being so far apart that they have absolutely nothing in common. If we were to wait until we were 'financially stable' it could really be a couple of years from now. And sadly, but true, we would qualify for more help if I were pregnant.

Anyway, sorry if that was confusing. I feel like I just spewed out all of the concerns that have been on my mind the past few weeks...

Glad to have some other mama's out there who are going through some of the same things we are!

#36 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator-mom View Post

Hello all,

I was on here maybe a year ago, and just never kept up..but I'm back again! I'm a full time nursing student and DH is also a full time student. We are living off of mostly state benefits and loan reimbursement money for the time being. I work part time, but DH does not right now. We have tried having him work full time and school full time and it pretty much almost ended our marriage because of the strain, so we have decided it's more important to have time together than make money until we get through school. Usually we do pretty well in our situation, but right now I'm transitioning to summer income,which basically means loan money is gone and I need to get some hours at work to cover our expenses of gas and what FS doesn't cover. We are in that weird boat of being students, where they disqualify you from the full FS allowance because of being students but one of gets requalified because of Ds. So that means we get FS for two people in our family instead of 3. I do home health which is totally variable and makes it really frustrating for our benefits. I end up in these situations where I work a lot of hours for a month, my benefits get cut and then right after that, I lose a bunch of hours. Anyway, I'm taking my LPN test this summer, so hoping that will make me both get more work hours and also make those hours count more, but this period of living off of nothing while I work all the time, and guzzle through gas but haven't been paid yet, is stress causing!

So is it terrible that we are planning to TTC this next Fall? I will be graduating next May and hopefully will get work fairly soon after that. But Ds is 4 already and we really wanted to have another one without our kids being so far apart that they have absolutely nothing in common. If we were to wait until we were 'financially stable' it could really be a couple of years from now. And sadly, but true, we would qualify for more help if I were pregnant.

Anyway, sorry if that was confusing. I feel like I just spewed out all of the concerns that have been on my mind the past few weeks...

Glad to have some other mama's out there who are going through some of the same things we are!
Do you want honest opinions?
redface.gif
Well then, yes I do think it is a tiny bit terrible... Not terrible but definitely not a good idea... I don't quite understand why DH couldn't work FT. I mean, yes it sucks when you can't see your spouse very often but you do what you gotta do when you have kids... There have been times when DH and I barely saw eachother (and I know there are plenty of other people in that situation on this board) but we needed money and we had kids so that is what you do.... And to plan another baby when neither of you have a job yet, and to just hope for more assistance, is kind of irresponsible. You don't *know* that you will get a job- many, many hospitals have hiring freezes right now. Anyway, I am not saying wait until you are 100% financially secure, but maybe at least until one of you has a permanent full time job.

#37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlBoyGirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator-mom View Post

Hello all,

Do you want honest opinions?
redface.gif
Well then, yes I do think it is a tiny bit terrible... Not terrible but definitely not a good idea... I don't quite understand why DH couldn't work FT. I mean, yes it sucks when you can't see your spouse very often but you do what you gotta do when you have kids... There have been times when DH and I barely saw eachother (and I know there are plenty of other people in that situation on this board) but we needed money and we had kids so that is what you do.... And to plan another baby when neither of you have a job yet, and to just hope for more assistance, is kind of irresponsible. You don't *know* that you will get a job- many, many hospitals have hiring freezes right now. Anyway, I am not saying wait until you are 100% financially secure, but maybe at least until one of you has a permanent full time job.
Thanks for your honesty. I see what you're saying about DH working, but when he was working full time, it was more that our relationship consisted of us talking on-line and it just seemed to serve for a ton of miscommunication. Thus we fought all the time and we really did almost separate. Once he was home more, all of that tension went away. Right now, he is working on getting his portfolio online so there is hope that he will then be able to do some contract work at least, which wouldn't involve him having to work full time..and he could do it from home. He is a web designer/ graphic artist..so even working a few small jobs pays a big paycheck. As for me getting a job, I know that I can stay where I am now, in home health. I am a CNA with them now, and they have already told me that once I get I get my LPN next month, that I will be able to get some hours with them with that license as well. So once I get my RN, I can use that there as well. I just don't know if I will get to were I WANT to go right away, which is women's health. Anyway, I guess we will see where we are in a few months before deciding for sure.

#39 ·
Things are looking somewhat up...

I'm ending the month better than I started, and amen for that. I got my support payment from xh on Wednesday, and he gave me a bit extra to cover the fact that my child tax benefit was cut off in March (long story on that, it was basically a screw up on my part, and it will get reinstated eventually, once my file works its way through the bureaucracy). I was able to pay all my bills that were past due, with the exception of my property taxes which I will still have to pay bit by bit with every support payment.

I've also been more motivated to ramp up my selling/reselling on ebay, craigslist, etc. It's not just the money, but I've been thinking about minimalism in general and how owning fewer things might actually be freeing...both time-wise and financially. And the clutter, of course.

We're also having a gorgeous weekend weather-wise, so I've been puttering about in my garden, and thinking about what veggies I will plant in a couple of weeks. I'm lucky to have a big yard with a sunny spot, so between that and the CSA share I'm splitting with another single mum friend, I should be pretty covered for the the summer veggie-wise.

I really hope May looks up for all of us!

#42 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

The apartment was approved
joy.gif

apparently I have good credit and no deposits are required
thumbsup.gif

I get the keys on Friday 5/6
YAY!!!! That's so awesome! I bet this is gonna be a long exciting week LOL

I found out my disability check is in the mail! It should be here Monday or Tuesday
thumbsup.gif

Food Stamps come on Wednesday, so we'll have all our bills paid on time, food for the month and be able to get everything out of pawn :) Big relief. We'll also be able to have a small birthday party for DS1 who turns 5 on monday.

#43 ·
So i need some advice now. My roommate is less then stable, mentally. Should I tell her that we are moving or just wait the week until it actually happens. I'm going to have to start packing some boxes this week so I would think that would make things obvious however...its all personal stuff, no kitchen stuff, linens or anything like that. what I need to move are kids toys, clothes, office/desk, craft stuff so maybe I can pack and she wont really notice?

If I tell her shes gonna go ballistic on me... maybe I'm just not the confrontational type...?

#45 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

Congrats on the apartment Zebra!

Unless you fear for your physical safety, I'd tell her. She probably needs all the time she can get, to figure out how to handle the financial changes. Are you on the lease?
Im sharing/renting part of her house. There isn't a lease per se. I had one when I moved in 2 1/2 years ago but we really didn't follow it. For example I got a dog and she never collected the pet deposit. Also that was a ONE year lease and when it was up, no one created a new lease. Its just more of a hassle then anything right now and I have feeling that she knows because my DS had a bit of a meltdown last night and told her 'my mom found us a better place then this filthy dump'. Ya he has some anger issues about living here. He's not making things any easier either.
But then again she does have the 100 lb dog thats not trained and attention deprived so I guess it can go both ways.

Tonight DS is watching NASCAR so I hope all is quiet. Roommate spent the day avoiding everyone and seemed to get a bit manic in her cleaning of the place and yardwork, (something that has not been done since before I moved in).

Anyway tomorrow is the 1st, but monday would give her a full weeks notice,(I think i want the movers to come when shes at work) but i really dont pay 'rent' until the middle of the month.

She has an idea that we are leaving. my original plan was to move back home around mid may (i gave her a date of 5/20) but that plan got squashed when I finally realized that no matter how hard I try i can not live in the same time zone as my mother. So after the drama here last week I found an apt locally.

whatever happens its going to be very uncomfortable around here when i confirm the move.

#48 ·
I get the keys on friday, hopefully i can get movers for monday. got a tv and sofa coming... should be a cute litle apt. My DS wants his room done up in 'french' stuff. Thats gonna be fun to hunt down pre-teen boy french stuff. my caps are not working. ugh...

how is everyone else doing... now i really need to find employment. please wish me good luck on the job front.!

#49 ·
That's awesome Zebra! Sounds like your Ds is excited as you are for the new place :).

It's a stretching week here. Get paid on Friday and have been picking up more shifts, but I haven't actually seen the benefit of that yet! The crappy thing about home health is that you have to drive to get to your client's home..sometimes several stops a day, and my comp does not pay mileage unless a client is actually in the car with me. So it's one of those conundrums where you need gas in your car to get to work, but you don't get money until you have already put forth the bill upfront in a way! Sometimes I think I should just get a regular job so that I can bus or train to work..but then I realize how complicated that gets when classes start and I can't handle the load. I think after this week things will smooth out though...

#50 ·
I worked Monday and have an assignment for Wednesday this week. Monday was 6th grade math and boy were the kids little buggers. Tomorrow is high school sign language so hopefully things will be better. There are only 12 days of school left here so I'm not expecting much more 'work' and I need to find a full time job soon. Tonight DS has swim class- actually m-th for 2 weeks. and after class I'm taking a laundry basket full of stuff to half price books. With the move coming in a few days we just do not have room for all this stuff and I need the $$ as well.

Tomorrow around4pm I have a someone coming to give me a moving quote (family of the babysitter so I hope its reasonable).

#51 ·
Jumping in here! I'm Dennie, and have been married for 8 years this fall. DH and I have 3 little girls, ages 5, 3, and 1, and are due in November. I never considered us low income, but in July of 2009 we were in a car accident that didn't get settled until April of 2010, and DH had missed a lot of work because of that. Then last summer he developed back pains that again caused him to miss a lot of work; he was told he had fibromyalgia, turns out he had 2 slipped discs. o_O That again caused us to get behind. And since then it seems to have been one thing after the other. This pregnancy has thrown us for a loop as we weren't ttc. But, turns out that along with the incredible blessing of a baby, we finally qualify for medicaid and FS (we were always just over the limits). We are waiting for our applications to get approved. I'm hoping they get here soon, my ins through DH work has run out (he hurt his knee at work and was out all of March when the renewal period was) and I need my zofran refilled soon! Also the FS will help free enough in our budget that we can hopefully play catch up and maybe even save a little before baby is here. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.