Spring low income support thread (April/May) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My friends and family know I am pretty broke so they don't even ask cause they know if I do have money I still will turn them down so I don't spend what little I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I've a question for you guys. How do you deal with people who expect you to spend money? I don't even mean anything extravagant, but lately we've had a lot of invitations to do stuff that costs money: go bowling, or meet at a museum event (that wasn't covered by the free library pass), even just lunch together.

Do you actually state that your budget is too tight, or do you just suggest something else and hope they eventually get the hint?

We like doing free things fine - meeting at the park works grand for us, but as we have acquired more friends (for DD mostly) we see that most people seem to expect to do things that involve money, and I'm starting to get tired of having to figure out a response or plan for it.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#92 of 95 Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am finally joining in here - I have been lurking in this neighborhood for months, but my story is too depressing to write about yet. The last 3 months have been the worst of my life; money problems are huge, but only the icing on the cake. I am finally figuring out though that ignoring the bills will not make them go away. No matter how I write up the budget, expenses are more than my income right now. I am trying hard to think of ways to bring in more $ (suggestions always welcome!). Right now, I am working only about 20 hours a week - I am a social worker at a non-profit - I am trying to hustle up a few more hours here and there, but it is slow going. I had a couple home businesses that collapsed last winter. My baby clothes business inventory burned in the uninsured barn fire, along with all the furniture and equipment to sell at craft shows. A couple other major income streams dried up, and I only have one home business left that can be ressurected. Unfortunately, it is based on sales of a purely luxury product, and difficult to promote when no.1, the economy sucks, and no. 2, I am depressed.

Thank you all for the indirect support over the last few months. I hope I can offer some in return, as I get out of my recent funk.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#93 of 95 Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So glad it's June now - May was just brutal for us. June isn't looking too much better, but I'm hopeful at least!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#94 of 95 Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1315568/summer-11-low-income-support-thread

Made a summer thread.   :)

Resistance is futile Matey
#95 of 95 Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have heard from many employers that they look for experience above a BSN so if someone has been working as a CNA or LPN and only has a ADN-RN they would be hired over someone who is a BSN who has no experience... However if there are two RN's who have both worked as RN's and one went on to become a BSN that would be an advantage over jut having an ADN. If you arn't all ready on allnurses, check out that forum it has a lot of opinions about accelerated programs that are a bit discouraging.

I was considering getting a BA in psych to get into a direct entry BSN program because it would be easier than getting into a ADN program here (since most of them have gpa cut offs of 3.8 and you have to be a CNA to apply) but the BSN for people with degrees in other fields had a cut off of 3.0 and did not require experience as a CNA but the tuition for a university for an extra year is something I can not afford. Plus I can always get my BSN online in a year and a half through the state college after completing my RN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolick16 View Post

Thank you for the encouraging words.  I am in the accelerated BSN program and start in August.  I know that employers are using BSN as one more way to chose one nurse versus another, despite there being no pay grade advantages in this area.  I would tell anyone going into nursing now if it is mainly a job security choice, chose differently.  I have heard many December graduates had to wait months for jobs and in this field you are aged out as a grad and not hired without experience and cannot get experience without a job.  So yes, more education for me and hopefully some kind of job somewhere.  I will also work to keep myself relevant.  Meanwhile, two broken down cars, no savings and another long summer stretching before me with limited to no funds.  Thank goodness for FS, MA and WIC...hopefully this poverty breaks soon!

be good family...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page