What is your Easter budget? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just bought my easter egg coloring kit...and started to realize it's time to start think about the baskets. I have three dds, 9,7,and 2.  Not crazy about all the candy (although it's cheap)...what's your budget?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd say $35 for everything?

I am going to use play silks instead of grass this year (we were going to make grass but haven't yet so I'm nixing it) and we are going to dye our own eggs using beets and whatever else I have written down from Kiwi this issue. I plan on getting DS a little felted rabbit and that's really it because he's way too little --- maybe a ball? DD will get crystals, and some gardening tools. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#3 of 32 Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM

I have 4 littles, ages 1-8. I'm going to try to limit all Easter spending to $50. They are just getting things like bubbles, sidewalk chalk, kites, new book, some candy. We don't really celebrate Easter, so it's not a big holiday here. I will set up a treasure hunt with clues to make it a bit more fun.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#4 of 32 Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM

I don't know.  Not much, I'm sure.  I'll buy candy, plastic eggs, dye, and baskets.  Though, for four kids I guess it always adds up.  Brunch will come out of our regular food budget, so I don't count that. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 32 Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Hummmm. IDK.... DS needs new swimtrunks so $25 for those (he is hard to fit and GAP works well for him).  Some candy, some more candy that I like- LOL-     Hoping to keep it under $50.00 cuz I want GOOD candy!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 AM

I spent about 110 on her basket, and bought her a trampoline that she got a bit early. I may be getting her a new trike as well. All of the costs are suppose to be split with her dad but I paid for it all already.
#7 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm not doing a basket for DD this year (she's 5 months old) but for my 2 DS? I'm hoping to keep it under $25. So far, so good. I bought them some little candies and some natural fruit snacks already. I figure getting a few cheapy toys to round it out will work.

They get so much junk from my mom and my in-laws anyway. What kid needs 5 baskets?!

B + J = A (4/01), E (6/03), and S (11/10)
Our family selectivevax.gifwinner.jpgslinggirl.gif and fambedsingle1.gif while DH works nights.
#8 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 AM

Our Easter budget is Zero.  Our girls will have plenty of candy from well meaning folks at Church and Grandparents, I'm sure.  We already have eggs on the grocery list and will *maybe* get a cheapo pack of dye, but we'll see.  Grandparents sent pretty dresses and their church shoes will do just fine.

Easter is not a gift giving holiday in our house, so that helps keep things simple and inexpensive!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#9 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 AM

I think I spent about $20.

Sand bucket for a basket.

2 small toys.

Package of  and yarn for making necklaces

Package of small chocolate bunnies

Package of small snickers eggs

Obligatory colored grass  ;-)

Egg dye

I still need to buy the eggs but that isn't very expensive.

#10 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Wow!  We are pretty boring here.  One year I bought them each a baby duck- which was actually I guess in the Christmas budget since it turned in to Christmas dinner.  I would like to give them each a lamb this year which would in turn mow the yard.  I think I am super cheap.

My kids just don't need anything.  One gma will get them a basket of candy, the other is getting them each a pair of boots, thier aunt will give them a goody basket.  So what is left for us to get them?  We like to give them the gift of life with a new pet that is practical at least. 

eta- I really like the idea of a trampoline though- not really in the budget- but they would have a lot of fun on that.  I might have to look into that.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#11 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Wow!  We are pretty boring here.  One year I bought them each a baby duck- which was actually I guess in the Christmas budget since it turned in to Christmas dinner.  I would like to give them each a lamb this year which would in turn mow the yard.  I think I am super cheap.

That made me laugh. No way I could get away with that. If I tried to serve up the pet duck for dinner there would be protestations all around. Reminds me of that pbs pioneering realty show where the family raised a pig and when it came to slaughter it for the festival the kid was bereft. Bunch of softies in my house, and I am probably the worst offender!

Easter is more of a religious holiday for us, but the Easter Bunny/Basket crept in somehow when my eldest was a toddler and it's just stuck around. It was fine the first couple of times, but at this point, I'm sick of all the JUNK I end up buying that ends up in the trash.  Much like Christmas stockings with lipgloss and socks...how much of that stuff does a kid need? A couple of years worth of easter baskets and our jumprope/bubbles/sidewalk chalk supply is overloaded! Maybe I'll do some gardening related stuff.  Really trying not to spend a lot of money, but with a multiplier of three, it adds up quickly! Thankfully we are no longer in a place where $15 would break the budget, but I still want to be careful...

#12 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM

The past few years I've gone all out and bought a ton of stuff for the kids, probably spending well over $150.  They usually get way more candy than they need, goodies like play doh and cheap little toys that just end up getting thrown away, and usually an outfit or a few new shirts.  This year I bought them some new clothes with the intention of putting them in their baskets, but the box of clothes sat in my room so long the kids kept asking what was in it and they really needed the clothes sooner than later so I just added them into their wardrobe.

I don't bother to get them fancy clothes since we don't go to church, and really don't have a use for dressy clothes just for one afternoon :)

I think we're going to go minimal this year on the baskets.  I'll just be getting home from the hospital from having baby #4 on either Wed or Thurs so things are going to be a little hectic around here.  I would like to try to make baskets with the kids this year using homemade paper mache and papers that I have shredded.  Then the kids can paint them once they dry.  I got a few different kinds of candy for like $15 and I'll split it up between the 3 of them.  The baby will get a special stuffed animal (they have all got one for their first Easter).  We'll color eggs, we do that every year.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and we can play outside and have a nice family day!

#13 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 PM

we don't do the easter bunny or baskets, so the only expenses are new white shirts for each of the boys (and I'm making them bowties) for church, and then food for Easter brunch.

#14 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM

We usually end up spending around $100, for six kids.  We'll probably spend more this year, since I need to get new shoes for everyone, dressy clothes for most of the boys and easter dresses for the girls.  Our twins will be baptized Easter morning. :D

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#15 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

NO JUNK!!!!

We try and minimize our waste so I bought reusuable buckets a few years ago. They aren't big enough so I'll sew a gift bag that can be resused next year. Each kid is getting 2 books, one art thing, one small nice quality chocolate thing, one nice toy, one little toy, and two basket stuffers. =) I love holidays

#16 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 04:30 PM

I'm planning to spend about 20 bucks on good chocolate and some fruit juice jelly beans. 

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#17 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM

It's hard for me to count.

Each kid is getting a track jacket in their Easter basket.  So, about $50, but it's something they need for spring anyway so $0 from "gifts."

The rest is just random candy, so well under $20, probably closer to $10.  I'm considering putting goggles in again, but it's pretty irritating to keep replacing them each year.

I haven't decided if the two chocolate covered bunnies are going in their baskets or my belly.

#18 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have two kids....they are each getting a book, a little candy, and a few other small things.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#19 of 32 Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post

I'm planning to spend about 20 bucks on good chocolate and some fruit juice jelly beans. 

This. I am not familiar with gift giving at Easter and we are Atheists so we don't have to buy church clothes. This is the first year DD will have chocolate. I will buy some, do a little hunt inside and then she can eat it when she wants.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#20 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Maybe 20 bucks for 3 kids -- chocolate bunny, some paper to make cards, eggs to dye.  No religious belief here, so it is a small "Yeah, it's Spring" kind of day for us.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#21 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 AM

We use the same baskets every year--such a sweet tradition, and it's the way we did it growing up.  A little candy, some bubbles, maybe a matchbox car (we can never have enough of those at our house). 

They'll have new (to us) clothes, but I planned for that when I did our spring shopping at consignment sales.  I have boys, so they'll just wear their regular shoes. 

I might splurge and spend $20 extra on Easter dinner, though.

#22 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 AM

Nothing here.  We are religious, but don't get into the whole Easter Bunny and Easter basket thing.  My parents sent the kids some church clothes and the ILs will probably send something as well, but it's not a big deal to us.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#23 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM

We've spent just under $80 on 4 kids.  This includes:

1 pr gardening gloves each

1 set of gardening tools each

1 watering can each

1 ceramic planter each

1 packet wildflower seeds each

assorted candy (mostly chocolate that DH was insistent on)

and the book Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots for the whole family.

We reuse the same baskets each year and they each have a mama-knitted bunny that gets reused to identify their basket.  We also have wet felted wool eggs that get reused and a few plastic eggs if we need them.  We try to reuse as much as we can and fill their baskets w/ practical things.  This year's theme was gardening b/c we've been adding more houseplants inside the house and we've been talking more about the changes we're going to be making to outside the house (gardens, landscaping,etc).

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#24 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM

I love the flower pot idea!  My kids would really go for that, and it would avoid buying more plastic junk.  Thanks for the idea! 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#25 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I haven't decided if the two chocolate covered bunnies are going in their baskets or my belly.

Too funny!  The only reason I spent so much on candy was because I wanted to have extra for me to eat ;)

#26 of 32 Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 PM

About $3-5, depending on where I buy a few pieces of candy (robins eggs, M&Ms, Skittles or Starburst or Jelly Belly jelly beans -- all single serving sizes) and one small chocolate something.

We reuse the same basket that I have had for 20 years and I don't bother with grass of any kind.

DD's birthday is between Christmas and Easter. When I plan gifts before Christmas (most shopping is done on Black Friday), I include all three gift-giving occasions. This year, though, DD got her ears pierced for her 10th birthday and that was it in the way of gifts. (It was $75+ since I took her to a professional piercing studio and she chose titanium CBR earrings.) So, now I have a plethora of gifts that are mostly clothes and will need to be given sooner rather than later or she'll outgrow them (definitely cannot wait until next Christmas) plus some earrings since the timing is perfect for the healing period. The earrings are technically a set (5 or 6 pairs), but I am likely to give just one pair at a time. (They are a nice set of quality gemstone earrings that I got on overstock over a year ago in anticipation of her wanting pierced ears for her 9th birthday.) There is a game, too, but it might wait until next Christmas or move to the gift box for others. At her age now, I do not like to have a stockpile of gifts for her. Her tastes change more rapidly and she is more aware of hiding places. winky.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#27 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Not much.  Eggs are in the barn, egg dye is easy, as we have gobs of things to make dye out of, or if we buy it, it is like $3.  I have ingredients for our traditional coconut bunny cake in the pantry, and I haven't decided if we'll have duck, rabbit, or a small whole feral pig for our feast.  We have asparagus in the patch out back, and the kids most look forward to the deviled eggs!  I reuse baskets, and grass.  I reuse plastic eggs, and will buy one bag of chocolate to put inside.  We all love the egg dyeing and hunting more than anything else.  Oh, and next week we'll blow out some guinea eggs (because the shells are so strong) to decorate w/bleeding art paper and jewels for our "egg tree".  We get a branch out of the woods and decorate it w/our decoupaged eggs and pretty ribbons.  It's beautiful!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#28 of 32 Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Chicky, what's the best way to make dye?

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#29 of 32 Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post

Chicky, what's the best way to make dye?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2126489_make-homemade-easter-egg-dye.html

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#30 of 32 Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Thanks!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page