Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

great idea gonna have to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post

I made a little magnetic sign to go on the inside of our front door that says "got water?" so that I'll remember to bring our water bottles when we leave the house.  Saves a ton on 'emergency' drink purchases when we're out and about.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#32 of 38 Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM

freecycle is a great site.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#33 of 38 Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM

I try to almost never use the oven, it costs so much money.  I use the toaster over and crockpot and rice cooker for a lot of things.  I have a secondhand bread machine that cost $5 and I don't think that uses much electricity.

I hang my laundry as much as I can.

I coupon and save the most on non-food items like batteries and toilet paper.  I also got a lot of stuff cheap through the Frontier co-op.

I get my kids toys and clothes from the free table at the dump, yard sales and rummage sales.  Sometimes I'm lucky enough to find clothing in my size too. 

I use a moon cup.

Instead of buying books and movies we borrow them from the library.  I also like to upload CD's from the library to my iPod.  Plus it takes up less space in my house!

I sewed insulating curtains for our bedroom windows.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#34 of 38 Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Cut ground beef 50/50 with lentils - works great in sloppy joe's, chili, taco meat

Cook your own beans. We freeze in 6-8oz containers and always have one thawed and ready for easy protein source.

Use 2 oz and 4 oz Nalgene containers or 4 oz mason jars to replace disposable drinkable yogurts and juice boxes.
Make own hummus (again w/ the 4 oz mason jars for easy picnicing/ lunch packing), Betty Crocker recipe is good. 

Buy dog food at Costco.

Keep cars as long as you can.

Procrastinate on most purchases.

Stay home/ in your neighborhood more often.

Whenever you see good shoes a few sizes bigger than your kids at thrift store, buy them and save.

Swap childcare and pet care

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#35 of 38 Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi! I've been hanging out here a lot lately and getting some great tips. Here's what we do:

-Pay-as-you-go cell phone and we don't use it that much. This does mean that we are still paying for a landline, but we just bundled and that might save us some money.

-Buy the large handsoap refill containers and Costco and use them to refill the smaller pumps in bathrooms and kitchen.

-Put liquid dish soap in old wine bottle with spout - 1/3 soap and the rest water. I don't do this to save money but I just realized how much it stretches the soap.

-Buy most clothes second hand.

-We purchased half a pig this summer and should have pork for a long time. 

-Groupon can be a good resource if you can resist the pedicure and massage deals. I got my hair cut and colored last spring for $45. I just purchased two hours of bowling for 6 people for $20 - that includes shoe rental. That will give me and my friend an afternoon out with the kids for $10 a family.  

-I"m on a challenge not to throw anything in the fridge away, so I've gotten pretty creative with leftovers.

- Harvest rain water and put a lever on our shower head that turns of the flow of water while we are soaping up.

-I'm going to start making hoola hoops for ds's birthday party gifts - I already have all the supplies.

-I stay out of Target. It's amazing all the things that I all of a sudden need when I go to that store.

-Using restaurant coupons, we eat out once a week.

Well, it's not a lot but I was interested in seeing what I could come up with!

#36 of 38 Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM

there are some good ideas in this thread.

heres what i can think of that i do:

-compost and garden

-use glass wide mouth mason jars for tupperware (so much cheaper and easier to clean)

-wash and re-use ziploc freezer bags for sandwiches

-cook all meals and pack all lunches

-no paper napkins or towels

-diva cup

-watered down dishsoap in a handpump by the sink

-i dont use cleaning products other than dr bronners and baking soda

-wash only full loads of laundry

-never buy anything new - thrift stores, yard sales, craigslist, side of the road for EVERYTHING

-no car, bus and walk everywhere. i do have a motorcycle for occasional runs into town or work on nice days

thats all i got right now and i really have to pee ;) back later!

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!
#37 of 38 Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

These are all good! Sometimes I get off the path of being frugal and need to be reminded!

I love the pp about scotch tape and a sharpie- you just described two key appliances in my kitchen!LOL

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#38 of 38 Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM

We don't buy any ziplock bags for sandwhiches, we invested in some BPA - free airtight little plastic boxes for the kids sandwiches/fruit/pudding for school which get reused over & over again. They have three boxes each which I fill each morning for their lunch. It has saved so much money in the long-run. They won't get replaced for a very very long time & they hoepfully won't be lost by my DC! My older girl has had her set for 3 years now!

Send children to school with packed lunches- so much cheaper then school hot meals.

Invest in a panasonic breadmaker- This has saved us so much money! We never buy bread from a shop/bakery now!

Invest in Kleen kanteens for everyone so you never have to buy drinks out & about. Also pack you own snacks.

We rent DVD's through Love Film and never buy them.

Don't buy magazines.

Don't go to the cinema, wait for the film on DVD.

Buy popping corn to make your own pop corn, great cheap snack.

Cook as much as possible from scratch. Make your own pizza and topping etc etc.

Don't watch adverts and don't go shopping for a hobby, so then you won't be tempted by stuff you don't need.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page