Would you accept this scholarship? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I am probably going to be offered an assistantship for my second year master's.  Full tuition and $6000 a year stipend.  To take it I will (probably) need to give up my part-time job.  The money is essentially the same; the amount of hours is about the same.  But if I keep my part-time job, I have more salary and more flexibility because I will probably pay some cash for my tuition and put some on student loans.  My student loan debt is not huge and I will be able to pay the whole thing back from divorce settlement.  I will also be getting money from other sources such as alimony and child support.  To get the assistantship I need to be in school full-time (9 credits) and I only need 12 to graduate but I am also working on a Certificate in another department so I was going to take the extra credits anyway.   I feel like the assistantship is an opportunity to make connections, learn more research skills, organize events, etc.  But I give up a job that seems secure (but really may not be because it is a "temporary" job that I will have had for two years.  That part-time job might help me through the period of time between when I graduate and when I find full-time work.  By then that part-time job will be worth nearly $18000 a year, which with child support and other funding I could live on.  But receiving the assistantship would put me in better shape (probably) to get a better job and/or to receive another assistantship for a PhD.  And I am not a young person (although I feel like on in a good way!).  I am 48, but I will have some fairly decent retirement money and a cash cushion when the divorce is final (in 6 months or so).  I am fairly energetic and organized, but I am pretty sure I can't do grad school full-time and work two part-time jobs and still take care of my kids.  Although I have considered it.  I can probably get work tutoring as well because I do that now and other bits of work here and there.  I may get other scholarship money as well. 

This is really a question of giving up cash now for less debt later and giving up security now for potential growth.  And how all of it is going to affect my children.  I will also be giving up paid vacation and sick days, although I don't anticipate that my department will be a stickler about me leaving early if my kids are sick, etc. 

If you read this far, thanks. 

#2 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds like the assistantship would be a better move for the long term.  I think I would take it if I were in your position.

#3 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM

I know you said you don't have a lot of student loan debt, but coming from a 26-year-old with an obscene amount of student loan debt, I'd say take the assistantship, if only to avoid accruing more debt. It also sounds like a better choice in the long term.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#4 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM

I would def take the asstship. Apart from anything if you want to apply for a PhD, you'll prbably get a better deal if you've got more teaching experience, plus if you end up looking for an academic job, all your teaching counts.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#5 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd take the assistanship because it will give you much better connections and is more prestigous.

#6 of 6 Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Well...
Its a ton of work...really...so. much. work. At least it was for me. I'm honestly not sure if I will ever do it again myself. It a great deal for tuition though. Just be prepared to NOT have a life outside campus. If that is good for you, then go for it!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page