Mothering Forum banner

May 2011 Homecooking Challenge!

1K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  insidevoice 
#1 ·
How'd everyone do in April?

#3 ·
Oh Oh, I wanna join in on this! I am trying to spend NO money in May, and have planned out my entire month's worth of meals already. I has also planned the last week of April, since I was doing that all at once.

On May 1st:

Breakfast-menu said waffles, I overslept, we had cherrios. Well, DD did, I ended up with a banana in the car

Lunch-menu said sandwiches, I made sandwiches.

Dinner-menu said steak, broccoli and homemade bread. DH decided to grill that which was totally a bonus.

May 2nd:

Breakfast-menu said scrambled eggs. DD2 and I had scrambled eggs, DH and DD1 (she's 15) skipped breakfast.

Lunch-menu said chili. I made a huge batch of chili and divided it up into 4 equal parts. I froze 3 off them, for chili mondays the rest of the month. DD2 and I ate today's portion, (she's only 2, she doesn't eat but 5 bites of it, then pickes out and eats all the beans.) I have no idea what DH ate at work, DD2 took PBJ sandwiches to school.

Dinner-Tonight was our leftovers night for the week. We had lamb roast last week and still had leftovers from that in the freezer, and also still had some pork in the freezer from the week before. I took some leftover lamb to work, but then my boss bought us all pizza, so I still have those leftovers for a sandwich tomorrow. DH ended up just munching out on whatever required no work-snacking on cheerios, some grapes, some applesauce etc. DD1 and DD2 had the leftovers.

#5 ·
I'll join you this month!
I usually do a week at a time.
501 & 502: husband grilled ribs, sausages and hot dogs, mac and cheese, baked beans, cornbread and salad. This was dinner & lunch a few days :)

503: chicken tenders, warm pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and parmesan, carrot sticks

504: husband's bday - requested hamburgers and french fries and oatmeal raisin cookies with ice cream

505: CINCO DE MAYO! Homemade tortillas, tacos, chips and queso and salsa.

506: leftovers

507: homemade pizzas and salad

508: It's mother's day! Knowing the husband... something grilled :)

#6 ·
Oh, can I join in?

I've been in a slump lately as I haven't been feeling well. We don't go out much, but we don't eat the kinds of meals I would like all the time either.

5/3 Tonight's dinner was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids with assorted veggies and dip. My oldest requested an evening picnic as the weather was amazing. I had planned leftovers, but those can be tomorrow's lunch.

Tomorrow should be grocery shopping. Dinner will be the standby using the pizza dough in the fridge to make individual mini-pizzas. I make a big batch of bread dough each week and bake from that throughout the week. We will probably have cucumber salad to go with it if the cukes at the store look decent.

#11 ·
You know what's awesome? We had teacher's meetings and I was out of sour cream... didn't make it to the store so we were really short on a lot of stuff... and where Iwould have automatically just grabbed some chicken or a pizza for the kids, I took 10 minutes, made some dough for crust and made us pizzas for dinner without even thinking it'd be easier to call out. I realized it as I was serving dinner to my family of 6. It's funny what becomes second nature when we apply ourselves to a goal.

Anyway, small victory for me.

#12 ·
Pretty quiet this month...

5-1 quiche, pancakes

5-2 dinner at my mom's

5-3 cheeseburger pasta, no knead bread, carrots

5-4 hawaiian grilled cheese, fries

5-5 tacos

5-6 pizza, leftovers

5-7 spaghetti, no knead bread, corn

5-8 london broil, twice baked potatoes, brownies; and my 20 year old nephew is bringing a veggie

#13 ·
5/3 Sandwiches for picnic outside

5/4 Oriental noodle salad

5/5 Out of the house- we had a significant lunch out, will have leftovers for dinner.

5/6 Stir fry using up all the veggies in need of quick use- very tasty!

5/7 We did our Mother's Day meal with my folks- prime rib, brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes.

5/8 Leftover prime rib roast on sandwiches for lunch, probably garden burgers for dinner if we are hungry- it was a big lunch though, so it may be snacks lol.

True to form, our dinners tend to be easy and quick. I should start adding in all our lunches bet I don't always think to do so. Also, I used to do a lot more meal planning, but these days I tend to go by what appeals in that moment (the danger of being pregnant... ugh!)

#20 ·
5-9 leftovers

5-10 stir fry

5-11 baked trout, mashed potato bake, veggies

5-12 sloppy joes, roasted potatoes, veggie hamburgers, chips, carrots

5-13 pizza for the boys; dh and I have our date night, a steak fry, so we'll be taking steak and a dessert

#22 ·
5-9 leftovers

5-10 stir fry

5-11 baked trout, mashed potato bake, veggies

5-12 sloppy joes, roasted potatoes, veggie hamburgers, chips, carrots

5-13 pizza for the boys, steak cookout for dh and I (we didn't end up cooking our steak, just had salad and bread)

5-14 dh and I snacked, the boys had corn dogs

5-15 steak, pasta, broccoli

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.