Mint vs. Other budgeting programs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to use some type of budgeting program, and I set ours up in mint because it's free.  But seems cumbersome?  I run my budgets according to pay period, not calendar month and that's already messing me up.  Plus their categories seem strict, and I dislike how it's showing my HELOC as credit card debt, because that's not how I view it.  Should I persevere or are there better options? I'd invest in a program if I knew it would be more useful.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#2 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I use Quicken and got used to most of the quirks. The one thing that REALLY bugs me is the paper waste when printing reports and I solved that by exporting to Excel, reformatting/tightening up the data, and then printing.

I think every program will have some quirks. It is a matter of which quirks you can live with more easily... winky.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Well I have said it before and I will say it again- I love love love the Virtual Wallet on PNC.com. You have to be a customer but I think it is worth the switch, there are a ton of free budgeting tools that are really neat. I think they are having a deal now that if you sign up for an account, you get $100. Thats what I did back when I signed up.

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
#4 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Does your bank offer any online tools?  Our credit union uses "Finance Works" which is a Quicken product.  I had the same problem with Mint and categorizing things without being able to adjust (and also just general compatibility problems with several accounts).  Finance Works is a little more adjustable, and I have no compatibility problems with other accounts, so I'm pleased our Credit Union offers it.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#5 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlBoyGirl View Post

Well I have said it before and I will say it again- I love love love the Virtual Wallet on PNC.com. You have to be a customer but I think it is worth the switch, there are a ton of free budgeting tools that are really neat. I think they are having a deal now that if you sign up for an account, you get $100. Thats what I did back when I signed up.

I looked into this. There is a $10 monthly service fee unless you can meet certain criteria (none of which apply to us).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Really? We don't have any fees and I don't know what kind of requirements our account has. We don't keep that much money in it... You do have to do direct deposit though to get the $100

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
#7 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I like mint I add catagories to suit our life style

#8 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 PM

#9 of 13 Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mint is frustrating to me bcs for some reason it doesn't report my bank acct and credit cards accurately. It's always off...either by a couple bucks or a couple hundred bucks.  So I feel like it's kind of defeating the purpose...

#10 of 13 Old 05-21-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have always had an excel spreadsheet, and probably always will.  I just thought I'd see if commercial programs are worth it, and chances are, I am probably spoiled by doing it myself.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#11 of 13 Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 PM

We use budgeting software called "Budget" from a company called Snowmint. We tried Mint for awhile, but I didn't like it because I didn't feel like it was proactive enough for keeping a tight budget.

joy.giflurk.gif

#12 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM

I used to use Budget from Snowmint as well. But when I got a smart phone, I switched to neobudget.com so I can always have it with me. Other than being pc based vs. web based, they're very similar. They both use an envelope system, which I love. I never spend money I need for another bill since I immediately allocate every deposit into envelopes.

#13 of 13 Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM

We love mvelopes.com. Envelope system but it downloads your transactions automatically like Mint does.

Mother, Wife, Worker Bee. Mama to Clara (10/05) and Ophelia (12/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page