What is your favorite smartphone app? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We use droid apps. DH got a smartphone several months ago. With our plan and how much we use our cellphones (he does for work) it made sense for us to both have smartphones. We share the google calendar, use a grocery list we can both sinc, stopwatches and several other things. Oh yeah, the gps app paid for itself the first month, its worth its weight in gold!! Pandora....

So lets discuss smartphones.

Iphone or droid or blackberry?  

What apps do you use and how does this make your life easier?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM

I have an iPhone. SOme of my favorite apps are:

expense tracker-I keep track of every penny spent. Very customizable.

lose it!-I keep track of what I eat and my exercise. Great app.

my local npr app- really awesome to bring around the house with me while cleaning or whatever

day tides-we live on the coast and I just click on the app to see where the tide is at

realtor.com-we are house hunting and this is a super cool app with a map that shows where you (driving) are in relation to the listings

amazon.com-I use it to compare prices while out shopping. If it is cheaper at amazon, guess where I buy it from?

flashlight free-makes my phone a flashlight. very handy.

craigslist-super easy to post a listing and to browse

kayak-surprisingly easier to use than the web based version

These are the handy ones that have made my life easier. Of course there are fun ones too :)

#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM

iPhone:

TextNow - We have the first iPhone and our plan doesn't include unlimited texting. This free app lets me text for free (unlimited). My text-crazy friends love me now. LOL

Flashlight - Turns my phone into a flashlight and has fancy colors to amuse children.

Compass - Turns my phone into a compass. Mostly for fun, but also has an educational component. (I'm a Girl Scout co-leader and camping/outdoors stuff is my fave.)

Remote - Turns my phone into a remote to control the laptop under the TV. We use the laptop to watch a few TV shows (hulu and other) and movies and listen to our music library. Since the laptop is physically attached to several cables and tucked back into the TV console, it is challenging to use the keyboard on it. This app has made it so much easier!!!

RulerPlus - Gives me a ruler while I am out and about. Mostly helpful when we are deep into home improvement projects and I need to measure smaller things in stores before purchasing.

Scribble Lite - Entertainment for my DD, but also therapeutic for me. Scribbling is relaxing and no paper or pencil required.

tideApp - We live near the coast. High tide is best for water play (boogie boarding, etc) and low tide is best for beach walking. Nice to know in advance!

Voice Memos - So handy!!!!!! It syncs to my computer and shows up in iTunes, which reminds me to listen when I am home. I typically record notes while I am out and about. So much faster than typing in a note program!

Plus a bunch of apps that make browsing the web easier on a phone. Safari itself is rather cumbersome on a phone. Amazon, Facebook, Tapatalk, YouTube, the Weather Channel, and our banks all have apps that work much better than Safari.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM

iPhone

I love hipstamatic for taking vintage style photos

I use FemCal Lite to chart my cycles

I use RedLaser and ShopSavvy to price compare

I like NPR, WebMD, and Cnn also

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#5 of 7 Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Blackberry

The Weather Network - check weather daily

Kijiji - to browse listings

Expense Manager - track and log expenses

Sportypal - to track my running using GPS to calculate speed, distance and calories burned

#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Android:

Kindle

Beelicious (I always have my delicious bookmarks with me.)

Google Music

Google Tasks

Grocery iQ

Mommy Count (Kids get points for chores, lose points for bad behavior.)

Netflix

Note Everything (In addition to text notes, I can record voice "notes" while I'm driving.

Pandora

Pocket Casts (Podcast software)

Zinio (Magazines- because Kindle has a really poor magazine selection)

What did we do without our smartphones?!

#7 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Droid

Angry birds. the kids and I both love playing it

CNN

Coupons, Inc, great for all different kinds of discounts, coupons and tells me where the lowest gas is

Foursquare, for checking into places I go

GasBuddy, also looks for low gas prices

Also the usual FB, Gmail, YIM, Youtube apps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page