Lost my job. Talk to me about collecting unemployment. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
greensad.gif

I, along with many other teachers district wide, lost my job today. Technically, i actually lose my job August 1, so August 2 will be my first day unemployed. I spent the day scrambling to find a position, but I like to be prepared for the worst. So for all you who have been there done that, some questions:

How long do you have to be out of work before you can apply for unemployment?
What does "actively looking for work" and "documenting job searching" really mean?
Can I hold out for a job in my field (education) or am I supposed to look for and take anything I can get?
And what about registering with the employment office? Is that just a name or is it like a temp job office?
What about childcare? I can't just take any old job. I need one that pays me enough to pay my childcare. Do they take that into consideration?
How long does it last?
Will collecting unemployment affect my credit rating?
Anything else I should know?

My DH makes enough to cover the house payment, plus some food, water and power, but without my income we are pretty much looking at losing both cars, phone service, all luxury items like Netflix and chocolates...

This sucks. Really sucks. greensad.gif

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#2 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 AM

Ironically I just saw the president saying that we need 100,000 new teachers to fill a shortage so there will be all sorts of government funds going into training. huh.

As to your questions, once you are no longer getting paid, you are eligible for unemployment. It will not affect your credit rating. You should register with the unemployment office. They do expect you take any job you are offered, but I don't think they know if you have been offered something unless you tell them. My dh was offered a job that was 100% commission and he would have had to pay to get the training and license- he didn't take it. Typical unemployment is 26 weeks, but in many states there is long term federal unemployment that kicks in after the state unemployment.

I don't know what state you are in, but the amount of Unemployment varies widely. Also, when my dh was switched over to the federal UI, the amount was reduced.

Good luck!

#3 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am so sorry this is happening to you. 

Things might be different depending on the state you are in but you should be able to file the day you become unemployed so for you it would be August 2nd.

I would look online for all the info you are looking for. In my state you don't even need to go to the office to apply. The whole thing is done online. It's a good idea to keep track of your progress but you aren't required to give them every detail of your search. Unless you are desperate don't apply for jobs you don't want. This way they can't offer you work you won't take, ykwim? 

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM

I was laid off last September and researched our unemployment rules online. There was a rather tricky calculation for how much unemployment benefit would be paid according to what I had earned in the past two years. It was worth spending time researching online and going through my paycheck log to figure out how much I would receive. I was able to figure out a budget that we would follow, but it was also so little money (I'd only been working 18 months) that I was highly motivated to get another job, which I did.

Try some online research - be prepared for a convoluted government website.

#5 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Well it can differ quite a bit depending on what state you're in, but I'll try to answer based on our own experiences & what I've read...

How long do you have to be out of work before you can apply for unemployment? You can & should apply immediately. In the state my DH worked in, he had to wait 'til the first official day of unemployment, even though he had a couple weeks' notice, so find out what your state's policy is on that.

What does "actively looking for work" and "documenting job searching" really mean? For DH, he keeps a written log & has to have at least 3 work contacts a week (applications, interviews, follow-up calls, job fairs, etc. all count) but obviously that's the minimum and you need to show you are really putting time & effort into it & it would probably be obvious if you weren't, you know?

Can I hold out for a job in my field (education) or am I supposed to look for and take anything I can get? Well you would generally look for a job you are qualified for (so, in your field, unless you have multiple degrees etc.) -- but if the unemployment extends for a long period of time, they will expect you to lower your sites & broaden your search.

And what about registering with the employment office? Is that just a name or is it like a temp job office? In our state it basically meant that DH had to attend a 1-hour seminar to be made aware of the state's job resources (classes/resume help/job search sites/etc.)

What about childcare? I can't just take any old job. I need one that pays me enough to pay my childcare. Do they take that into consideration? I believe the general rule is that you should accept a job if it's about 80% or more of your previous salary. When DH asked about this, they said he should accept a job if we could survive on the income -- so no, you probably don't need to take a job that won't even cover daycare, but whether a job offer is 'suitable' tends to be left up to random representatives of the state so you'd have to be able to make your case for turning something down.

How long does it last? DH can collect for up to 2 years I think. (I sure hope he finds a job sooner than that!!)

Will collecting unemployment affect my credit rating? No, at least not that I've ever heard of!!

Very sorry you've lost your job & hope you find something quickly!! DH really really wants to find work but he is also loving being home with DS and is making the very best of it!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Can you sub? either in your district or surrounding districts?  While the pay may not be the same as a teachers salary it may pay more than UE and can also supplement UE.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 PM

I'm sorry.  I am wondering if you're in a neighboring county from me now though... (they laid off like 283 or 238 employees or something recently?).

It's going to vary from state to state.  In my state, hubby filled out online stuff the night he was laid off (there was no notice, just a 4pm meeting).  His former company didn't contest it or anything, so he didn't have to go in-person to an office anywhere or anything.  He didn't have to document looking for work though, as his old company thought they'd be able to rehire people several months later (they couldn't/didn't, but that's beside the point).
My sister, in the neighboring state, had some issues with her former employer, but got it all resolved after about 6 weeks or so.  I think she even had to file an extension a while back because she was looking for work (sort of), but maxed out that first level/tier of it.  I think it's 52 weeks and 99 weeks before they cut you off totally?  You'll have to ask around and check the details for your state.

I think you'd be smart to look outside your field of education if you can.  With so many other folks looking for a job, it may not be pretty out there.  I wouldn't knock it off the list, but I wouldn't make it the whole list, you know?  I have several friends in education that have left (even without layoffs) because it hasn't been a good fit for them or the environment was awful. 

Unemployment didn't affect our credit rating.  Only way it'd affect it is if your bills go unpaid and you can't pay things, which is a logical train of thought anyway.

If I were you, I'd likely save up as much money right now as you can while starting to live on your absolute bare bones budget, and hold on for the ride.  Might need to look at the car situation and if you won't get totally screwed, maybe change up something in there
The good news is that you have several months to plan and have a heads up, which is nice in that you can plan and send out resumes without your employer getting too mad (unless you're doing it on their time).  You have time to gear up and adjust your household/budget/yourselves accordingly.  :D

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#8 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I could, in theory, substitute teach. However, the pay is terrible, work is inconsistent (childcare nightmare!) and I would make more on unemployment. greensad.gif

I may, in time, expand my search to the private sector. But I love teaching and actually left a successful private sector job to become a teacher. I thought it would be great job security because people keep having kids, but strangely education is first on the chopping block when it comes to budget cuts.

We are already tightening belts and hunkering down, just in case. Maybe something will come my way. I can hope! Otherwise, we will be trading in my car, and DH car, for something we can buy free and clear (no loans). Without the car payments, we should squeeze by each month provided nothing unforseen happens. UE would cover the emergency expenses like kid to doctor or broken fridge.

This is not a club I was hoping to join. Thanks to all who replied.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#9 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It really depends on the state.  I have heard that teachers in my state are not eligible for unemployment because they are considered "independent contractors." 

And sorry about the loss of your job.  That really sucks.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 13 Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 PM

UE here is 240/week,   yes thats the MAX you can get on UE.  Subs make 85-100 day depending on the district.  You can sub to supplement UE meaning if you sub 2 days you report the income and they just take $180 out of your UE benefits.  Find a sitter who works on call or drop in and has a daily rate.  Its not that difficult, it provides some income and honestly if you want to work daily, get on sub rosters for multiple districts and you will find yourself being called daily!  (ask me how I know)

I went back for my post bac certificate and have yet to land a full time teaching gig.  Im really loosing interest, (i have a very small speciality so its difficult).

Im looking to go back to corporate america this summer. Its not what I want but its what my bank account needs.

How about a temp agency? let them do the leg work for some type of office job or what you are qualified for?

Can you work opposite shifts of DH, elminating the need for daycare?

Just some thoughts...

But I would file UE on your last day of employment, most likely the last day of school.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Subs here make $85/day. I pay my nanny $8.35 per hour. When I am teaching, it is a 9 hour day, so with the taxes I pay for my nanny and minus the taxes held from my paycheck subbing would actually cost us money.

I checked, and yes, teachers are eligible for unemployment starting the first day of the first month after school ends. So June 1st here. In CO is is a calculated % of your salary for the last four quarters, which would be a little over $300/week for me.

That said, I have a couple interviews lined up, so hopefully this will not be necessary! Including one that is a perfect fit for me in a job I would love to have. I'm feeling hopeful for the first time all week!

#12 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

Subs here make $85/day. I pay my nanny $8.35 per hour. When I am teaching, it is a 9 hour day, so with the taxes I pay for my nanny and minus the taxes held from my paycheck subbing would actually cost us money.

I checked, and yes, teachers are eligible for unemployment starting the first day of the first month after school ends. So June 1st here. In CO is is a calculated % of your salary for the last four quarters, which would be a little over $300/week for me.

That said, I have a couple interviews lined up, so hopefully this will not be necessary! Including one that is a perfect fit for me in a job I would love to have. I'm feeling hopeful for the first time all week!

Good Luck at the interviews! I hope you get the job that you would love to have!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#13 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

thats great, i hope the interviews go well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page