Tell me WWYD with my current financial situation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've posted several times over the last couple of years. Here's my latest ... tell me WWYD? 

All credit cards are finally paid off but we still owe 15k in car loans (one is 9k and the other is 6k) and 8k in medical/dental. We have 15k in savings. We literally have no other assets ... sold everything worth anything, rent our residence, cut everything we are willing to, etc. 

We end up with a little over 1k per month to put towards savings/debt but one of my jobs will be ending in November and I will almost certainly not be getting another to replace this income. So, at that point we will be more or less breaking even every month.

What would you do now? Keep all the savings or put some of it towards one or both of the debts? They are all similar and fairly low interest of 5 percent and under. My thinking is to to pay off the 6k car, leaving us with 11k which is 3 to 4 months worth of expenses and then using the 1k a month we are currently over every month to pay off the medical leaving us with just the 9k car loan when our income drops. Does that make sense? Is it the best way to go?

mama to three little ladies
#2 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are your interest rates? 

#3 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What are your monthly minimums? That might determine the best way to go.  You definitely have a huge stormcloud on the horizon!

#4 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Well, IMO they cant repo medical services, they can repo a car.  If you really want to keep the car make sure that is paid, and make that payment a priority.  If you're not going to be working and wont need a car then does it matter?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The 9k car is 4.75% with a min. of $275

The 6k car is 5%  with a min. of $215

The medical is 5% with a min of $100

We can cover all of those monthly payments with the income loss but it leaves us no wiggle room at all.

eta ... I will still be working and need my car. I have two jobs right now and thankfully I'm only losing one of them.  

mama to three little ladies
#6 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM

tough call.  I guess I wouldn't pay off any of it and would keep my 15k in savings since you know you you're going to be in a tough spot financially.  If something major happened, I'd want to have the savings and your interest rates aren't too bad either.  If you have something/someone else to fall back on in case of a major emergency, I'd consider paying off the other stuff, but only if that was going to be really easy, which for most of us it isn't.  good luck!

#7 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Can you get the medical payment adjusted because of the loss of income?

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#8 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Such a tough call! I totally get you wanting to get rid of one of those debts so that you have some wiggle room in your budget without digging into savings. But if you keep the 6k in savings instead of throwing it to the car, that 6k will go a lot further for an emergency than the $215 that would be freed up by paying off the car.  If your interest rates were higher, I might advise differently.  Do your minimum payments stay the same whether there is 6k or 1k left on the loan, or do they adjust downward?

#9 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Unless I am missing something, could you pay off the 6k car loan and then, since there are about 6 months until November (when you lose the extra income), you could basically put all of that money back into savings between now and then.  Plus, you would have the extra $215 per month (from the paid off car) to put toward one of the other loans!

Mom to two, wife to one
#10 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 AM

I totally agree with this! I would however, pay a bit extra towards the principal each month on each of the car's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

tough call.  I guess I wouldn't pay off any of it and would keep my 15k in savings since you know you you're going to be in a tough spot financially.  If something major happened, I'd want to have the savings and your interest rates aren't too bad either.  If you have something/someone else to fall back on in case of a major emergency, I'd consider paying off the other stuff, but only if that was going to be really easy, which for most of us it isn't.  good luck!

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#11 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 AM

How about this: pay off the $6K before you lose your job.

When you are no longer working - will you still need 2 cars? If not, consider selling the other car (even if you take a loss). 

Without 2 car payments and the cost to insure 2 cars - I calculate you will rid about $400 of payments/month, not to mention gas - which could be another $100-200 - potentially leaving you with $600/month extra.  You would still have most of your emergency fund in place.  Does this sound doable? Most one-income families in the 70s went with one car.  Just a thought worth considering.

If you must have 2 cars - keep the paid off one, and get a $2000-$3000 car (paid for in cash) as your 2nd (less used) car.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page