I refuse to pay for this dental service - how should I proceed? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 39 Old 05-14-2011, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Urgh...  sorry to hear that the holistic one said those words to your DD.  Just because they are holistic, doesn't mean they are this or that...  so frustrating.

Good work on contacting the original referrer.  That also is a huge move on your part.  No DDS likes to piss off the original referrer.  That is a main bread and butter.  My hope is that will resolve the issue before you have to go to battle, sort of speak. 

My heart aches for your little girl and for you and your husband.  I used to hear so many horror stories from adults about dds' back in the day.  You would think with all the knowledge today, these things wouldn't happen anymore. 

The mouth is such a private, personal orifice. So many dds' don't get that.  hug2.gif

'09   
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 05-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sorry about DD and you've already been given good advice. 

I just had to chime in "What is the deal with Dental dams?!" I had one ONCE and I had the feeling like I was suffocating. I talked to the nurse or something and she was like - refuse it next time. I never went back to that dentist and none has used it before or since on me or my kid. Someone told me it's like a dental school kind of thing and experienced dentists shouldn't use it. This was years ago, though. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#33 of 39 Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

They are a just a precautionary measure so no toxins, dental clamps, too much water, metals, etc...  are swallowed.  I do think most procedures do not warrant a dam.  Especially for a child, however, a lot of dds use bite blocks with kids to keep their mouths open and they do not want to risk the kiddo choking.  Dams are usually used by rookies, by the book or not great/lack of finesse dds.  On the other hand, I have seen dds that have great skill use them because an amalgam filling or the tooth was severely fractured and they didn't want to risk the air hand piece not being able to suck it out effectively.  Just depends.  I feel they are widely overused.  Dentistry is an art.  Not all seem to be artists.   

'09   
#34 of 39 Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM

A co-worker of mine had a previous bad dentist pay for her work to be redone by a dentist who was capable of not destroying her mouth. She did it through the dental licensing board and professional accreditation group for the state. I believe she paid the first dentist in full to protect her credit score and then filed official complaints. Her bill that was covered by the first guy's insurance was well over $10K.

#35 of 39 Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM

A co-worker of mine had a previous bad dentist pay for her work to be redone by a dentist who was capable of not destroying her mouth. She did it through the dental licensing board and professional accreditation group for the state. I believe she paid the first dentist in full to protect her credit score and then filed official complaints. Her bill that was covered by the first guy's insurance was well over $10K.

#36 of 39 Old 05-15-2011, 03:32 PM

I'm shocked by this thread!

I'm in the UK (with our terrible teeth, right?) and i have NEVER had such an experience with a dentist!  We've had 2 dentists (since i had the kids, i've had about 6 in my life) and are seeing our 3rd for the first time next Monday (our previous dentist has gone travelling so we had to either wait for a random replacement or move to a new practice and our old place was far to travel so we decided to move).  Until DD1 was 3 she never even sat in the chair, the dentist asked ME to pull her lips back and she looked at the teeth with no tools at all.  Now DD is older she jumps in the chair and has the mirror and pick in there, and has her teeth counted and so on.  She *touching wood* has never needed any treatment, but in 16 extractions (for orthodontic reasons, not decay, don't ask!), 5 fillings and a whole bunch of cleanings i have NEVER encountered a dental dam except in sex ed at school!  Here in the UK we don't have pedi dentists - just dentists.  I would DEFINITELY complain to the dental board and whoever licensed this man if i had this experience.

Also, FWIW my friend, terrified of dentists, got a "temporary filling" done when she was 9, because she panicked midway through and the dentist said she'd place a temp and then finish the procedure in a few weeks, and that filling stayed in EIGHT YEARS before she finally went and got it replaced.  The dentist HAD drilled all the decay out before (though wasn't sure of having done so) placing the temporary and i'm not advocating leaving it so long, i just thought i'd mention it because it might mean you don't worry too much about rushing to get it replaced, and can take your time finding a better dentist this time.

#37 of 39 Old 05-15-2011, 04:11 PM

I agree with most of what is being said about writing a letter and contacting the BBB. I do think you should pay for the work that was done, but that is just my personal opinion. I think a problem might be that you consented to the dental dam. Even though you said "try" it was still ok'd by you and your DH. I would see a much bigger case for a full dismissal if you flat out refused and it was used anyway or if you had no experience with it and then your DD had a hard time. I worry that since it was discussed that you know how she reacts and still agreed might make the complaint hold less water.

We have the most amazing ped dentist ever. I wish I could go to him! My oldest and my third have both needed fillings and my DD had to have some other spacing work done. This man is so gentle and soothing, none of them even know that they have ever had shots in their mouth. They all countdown the days in between visits! So don't give up. There are great ones out there. I'm so sorry your DD had to go through such a negative experience. I remember what it was like when I was little and I still have the hardest time making appts for myself.

Oh and like a pp mentioned about temp fillings...I've had one in my mouth for 11 years! I know thats awful, whenever I get to the dentist, they always want to do something else first and then I'm pregnant all the time, and I forget about it, anyway don't let it go forever, but you have a little time to find the right dentist.

#38 of 39 Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I agree about the letters and online reviews.

Our pedi dentist is great. We don't have dental insurance because the 2 pedi dentists the insurance covers don't allow parents in for procedures. I can't imagine doing that. So we pay full cash to our dentist. When my son wanted purple gloves while the dentist was putting on blue gloves, the dentist changed to purple. Lots of behaviors like that.

I wanted to comment about the blood draws. If your kids need blood draws or any sort of shots, get the doctor to write a prescription for Emla cream. It is a topical anesthetic. You put it on the area to be stuck about an hour before the procedure then cover it with a tattoo type bandaid, saran wrap taped around the four edges, etc. My one year old calmly watched  while the phlebotomist stuck her. No pain, no screaming. It's insane that this isn't offered to every child. I've received shots with the stuff on and you don't feel the shot. Some people don't like it for lab draws because it can make the vein constrict, but I just googled it and it says that if you leave it on longer than an hour that's not so much of a problem. I haven't had much problem with that even with it on less than an hour. Google also says another product, Ametop Gel, works just as well but doesn't cause vasoconstriction.

Also, I am an RN, I've had to do a lot of venipunctures. I'm good. I can start an IV on a 1 pound baby. More impressive, I can start an IV on a fat 10 pound baby. But every now and then I miss. It sucks when you have to dig for the vein, but sometimes that happens. Don't blame the phlebotomist. Most likely they're good at what they do and it's just a bad stick. It's awful when it happens to an adult. When you do it to a child it's even worse. I know I break out it cold sweats when that happens to an adult and when it's a kid I just want to die.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#39 of 39 Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

I wanted to comment about the blood draws. If your kids need blood draws or any sort of shots, get the doctor to write a prescription for Emla cream. It is a topical anesthetic. You put it on the area to be stuck about an hour before the procedure then cover it with a tattoo type bandaid, saran wrap taped around the four edges, etc. My one year old calmly watched  while the phlebotomist stuck her. No pain, no screaming. It's insane that this isn't offered to every child. I've received shots with the stuff on and you don't feel the shot. Some people don't like it for lab draws because it can make the vein constrict, but I just googled it and it says that if you leave it on longer than an hour that's not so much of a problem. I haven't had much problem with that even with it on less than an hour. Google also says another product, Ametop Gel, works just as well but doesn't cause vasoconstriction.

Also, I am an RN, I've had to do a lot of venipunctures. I'm good. I can start an IV on a 1 pound baby. More impressive, I can start an IV on a fat 10 pound baby. But every now and then I miss. It sucks when you have to dig for the vein, but sometimes that happens. Don't blame the phlebotomist. Most likely they're good at what they do and it's just a bad stick. It's awful when it happens to an adult. When you do it to a child it's even worse. I know I break out it cold sweats when that happens to an adult and when it's a kid I just want to die.

I didn't know about ELMA cream until too late.... My DS doesn't like other people touching him -- so he was upset more about that than the pain (he barely notices pain), and then when the digging started he just lost it. I wouldn't blame the phlebotomist if she missed once or twice, but what happened with us was way worse... she was just not good at what she was doing and she refused to remove the needle while we switched from me holding DS to DH holding him (she insisted on the switch eyesroll.gif), then kept digging around etc. again after we told her to stop the blood draw... his arm was all purple & bruised afterward... greensad.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page