I refuse to pay for this dental service - how should I proceed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 year old DD was referred to a pediatric dentist to fill a cavity. She has already had a cavity filled with another dentist. She was a trooper except she would not tolerate the dental dam. She couldn't breathe with it on. So with this new dentist, we told him upfront that she did not like the dental dam and couldn't breathe with it on, but said that he could give it a TRY if he wanted.

He placed the dental dam and DD cried and cried. Later she told us that she was trying to tell us we couldn't breathe, but of course with the thing in her mouth she couldn't. There was also a device that kept her mouth open, which was also unnecessary and panic-inducing. With the previous dentist, she opened her mouth as requested and complied with everything (sometimes having to be reminded to open wider, but no big deal).

DH and I were kind of beside ourselves watching this (and we're both struggling with post-procedure guilt and other feelings that we didn't stop it before). We KNEW she couldn't tolerate the dam. But the dentist REFUSED to remove it. When DD kept crying, he said that she was not cooperating and he couldn't finish the procedure. DH told him that he could finish it if he removed the dam, that the dam was the sole issue. The dentist said he would not remove it, and he put in a temporary filling. There were words. I have other complaints about the dentist too, but my primary issue is that his inflexibility on the dam was the sole reason the procedure could not be completed.

The upshot is that we have a temporary filling that we are going to have to get fixed, plus a traumatized 5 year old who never wants to go to a dentist again. I refuse to pay for a treatment that could have EASILY been successful except for the dentist's refusal. The bill we were presented with was for an amount slightly higher than the filling we had gotten before, so I doubt any discount was applied. And of course we'll have to pay for the procedure again elsewhere.

My husband and I talked with the office manager but she could not say anything other than "I don't know what to say." Apparently there were no procedures or anything. She could not help us in any way. Finally my husband said he was not going to pay it and we left.

I assume they will send us a bill, and I assume if we don't pay it they will send it to collections.

I would like to figure out the best way of going about this is. We are not going back to that dentist, so there is nothing to work out (for example, having the fees applied toward the next treatment). We are worse off than we were before we came (cavity is not fixed, and DD had a bad experience which will make it harder next time). I assume I should write a letter formally refusing to pay and explaining (better than I did above) why. I assume I should send it signature required.

I doubt that will stop them from doing anything but if this goes to a lawyer, I'm sure the letter will help. I'd rather pay a lawyer the fee than this dentist, but this is probably wishful thinking since the dental bill is probably worth no more than 1 hour of a lawyer's time.

So, does a consumer have any rights? Or do I just choose between paying this inept ass or having this go on my record for 7 years? I am not concerned with my credit score (it's about 800 last I checked, but I am not planning to use credit, luck willing) but I sure am not looking forward to 7 years of collection letters and calls. This visit was traumatic enough to not get a frequent reminder of it up until DD becomes a teenager.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Do you not have dental insurance that will at least cover a portion of the visit?  I  hope you can get it worked out.  I wouldn't ruin good credit over a dental bill.  They will probably let you pay payments before sending it off into collections, and I would personally apply for Care Credit or similar before not paying it at all.  I do get that it sucks b/c of how it all went down and your DD still needs to go elsewhere, but if they won't drop the charges, then you are stuck with the debt. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Do so many people have dental insurance that it's a surprise that I don't? That's not snark, I was wondering about that before since the dentist offices always ask for our insurance card rather than just asking if we have one. I always figured a minority of people had dental insurance.

No, we don't have any insurance.

I dunno, I think I'd rather live with the collections than pay this inept _______ ________ ______.

Seriously, if a dentist's office anywhere decided to send me a bill for anything, my only options are to pay or go to collections? The minute someone decides I owe them something, I do?

turkeygw likes this.

#4 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 AM

I had dental insurance at my prior job and researched it heavily for our company.  It covers surprisingly little, you basically prepay for preventitive services.  There are great plans but they are crazy expensive.

You don't have anything to lose by writing the letter and I would require a signature.  Depending on how they handle unpaid bills, the dentist might let it go.  If they go to the local district justice, there is time and filing fees involved and depending the amount, they might decide it isn't worth it since you are already being proactive with your case. 

This has nothing to do with your original post but your experience is similar to at least 5 others I have heard about pedi dentists.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 AM

I thought maybe you didn't have insurance, but asked b/c I know they often send/give a bill before seeing what insurance will pay. We do have dental insurance (I think it's like $40 a month for all 6 of us), but it still sucks b/c we've paid $1200 in the last couple months just for DH's teeth - and that's after what insurance covers. We are liable for the full amount until insurance comes through - so I wasn't sure if your bill would be greatly reduced at that point.

I'm not sure legally - but I assume there is something in the initial paperwork stating that you agree to pay for services you receive. I know some people have luck contesting certain aspects of hospital bills - so maybe there is a way to do so for dental, too.

Hopefully you get some good advice.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Heh, I looked up the stats and between 66% and 85% of Americans have dental insurance. I did not know that. Lucky them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

This has nothing to do with your original post but your experience is similar to at least 5 others I have heard about pedi dentists.

I am very interested in hearing more about that. In what way similar - insistence on a dental dam (which I've never come across - heck, I've only had one dentist so far who used them at all, but he was the one that did DD before and he TRIED the dam but was willing to ditch it)? Or just overall not being able to work with a kid?

The previous dentist was able to finish the filling but he was not good with kids. Any crying upset him, even if was just a little "ehhhhhh" kind of sound while he was doing something. At one point he told her she was being "a bad girl." So we did not go back to him, and chose a pediatric dentist because, ostensibly, they work with kids, right? But this guy blamed everything on DD (we even told him about a probable latex allergy she had, and he spent 3 or 4 minutes insisting to us that she probably did not have one, that she probably bit and chewed her cheek. We didn't bother to argue, but we watched the whole time and she had no OPPORTUNITY to bite her cheek, and the reaction was on her cheek where the dentist had his gloved finger quite a bit of the time). He put in the novocaine and did not ask her to report sensations of numbness or swelling - in fact, he started drilling only 30 seconds later. I've had my teeth filled enough to know they usually wait a few minutes. Throughout the procedure he made comments like "she's not letting me do this" etc. She's 5 years old and she was being suffocated! He didn't spend ANY effort on her comfort or making sure she was ok, just jammed in the needle and started drilling like a madman, only occasionally stopping to make some pointed comment about her behavior while she was suffocating. Then he announced he would not finish. My husband was so mad, and like I said, there were words. We all feel kind of traumatized today. I'm supposed to be working on this project but I'm having a lot of difficulty concentrating. What the hell is with pediatric dentists, I'd like to know?

#7 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 10:23 AM

hug.gif DS was traumatized by a botched blood draw at a lab and I'm still kicking myself for not just picking him up & walking out of there!

I would ask them to send you a statement agreeing to dismiss the charges (or send you a copy of your account with a balance of zero). If they are unable/unwilling to do this, I would report them to the BBB -- they should be able to help settle the dispute. Be aware though, that if you go that route, the dentist could fax the BBB something you may have signed beforehand agreeing to pay etc. so there is no guarantee that this will work out in your favor, but it's worth a shot.

We had to go through the BBB twice -- first was for a gym membership and we 'won' on that. Second was for a big dental chain that likes to scam people... and we 'lost' on that one, even though they had outright lied to & manipulated us, but they had a little signed piece of paper and we just didn't have solid ground to stand on so we gave up (it was not a significant sum of money, otherwise we might have pursued it further).

(And we sometimes have dental insurance, skip it other years... we do think of it as paying in advance for preventative, so we only carry ins. when we know we will be able to fit in a certain number of preventatives during the year.)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM

shoot, I have a long post typed out and long it.

Concerning my statement about pedi dentists - when it came time to take DS for his first appointment, I assumed that I would take to the pedi practice a few towns over.  When I started asking around, I came to learn that many parents took their kids there once and didn't return.  The reason was the same, that the dentists were gruff and "mean"  I know one person's "mean" can be another's normal but I was getting the same reports from a broad range of parents.

A former co-worker (and close friend) had a horrible experience with her 10 yo son.  He needed some extensive work done.  They would not allow her in the room (their policy was no parents in the room), he started crying, she tried to go into the procedure room, a nurse tried to physically restrain her and it got ugly.

Basically, what I learned was the ped dentists were not any more tender, caring or kid-friendly then a regular dentist.  The parents I talked to were expecting the dentists to be "good with kids" and none found that to be the case in this particular practice.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM

I would file with the BBB  and I would also file a complaint with your state dental board. This guy SUCKS big time,and it should be noted on his records. Also you should fill out every online site for him so others can avoid the trauma your child went through.

My dd was a bit past 4 when she got 2-3 composite fillings. I had it done by the 3rd dentist I checked out. The first was a ped woman who wanted to do laughing gas and talked about dd maybe needing silver caps and such. Second was a lady that took medicaid.She insisted on amalgam fillings,and rolled it in her fingers to prove how safe it is. Last was a guy who did all ages.Dd did not even need a shot,and they asked often if she was ok.Never heard of a dam,but I doubt I would want it in my mouth.Refuse it. I did hear of boards they tie kids too.Oh yea the first dentist did not allow parents in the room.The other 2 did. I sat with dd and 1yo ds watced too.

Now we go to a lady that does all ages and we are allowed in the room.No dam,no board,and they make no stink about me wanting composite over amalgam,and not fluoride treatment.

I know it is hard,but if your kid is not ok tell them to stop and that you will do it another day.If your child  can't talk tell them to give the code move like a hand wave or thumbs up.Something you will know  it means to stop.Once home you can talk more with your child to determine IF you will ever go to that person again.

LOL,I know about the vein digging.Dh and I have dealt with it,but refuse to let people dig in the kids veins.

Best wishes and hugs for the kids who went through poor care.Stinks when you deal with people like that.

If you decide to pay it send $5 a month! I did that with a jerk doctor once.

#10 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, they are helpful. I think we will be taking the advice about the letter, BBB and state board. We'll probably just start with a letter and go from there.

I've read advice on MDC to make sure you are with the child during the procedure, and DH and I have mentally prepared to insist or walk if need be. Also given the previous dentist, I had mentally prepared to draw the line with certain things, but I kind of failed. At some point I did say to DH that we could just call it quits and leave, when DH told me the dentist had already said he would not continue (I'm hearing impaired so I miss stuff like that, sigh). DH was the one who went into assertive mode, thank goodness for him. It's amazing how traumatized a family can get about a stupid thing like this - DH and I are having trouble moving on today.

#11 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM

I once had dental service I refused to pay for. I wrote a 3 page letter documenting the experience, outlining areas I thought he was negligent, and quoting the additional costs I had incurred due to his actions. I closed by requesting he zero out my balance owed to his practice. He did, and, I heard nothing further. Send your letter by certified mail, if possible.
But, I wouldn't ruin good credit over a dental bill, either.
Hope your dd feels better soon!
#12 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I would start with a letter to the dentist about your experience that day.  Is this a single person office or a practice?  Ive found single person offices much easier to deal with.  Anyway when the bill comes I would re-attach that letter as well as another letter stating you expect this balance to be zero based on the treatment of your DD.

I would also file a complaint with the BBB and the dental licensing board.  (all that should be available online).

I hate dentists and need major work but refuse thanks to an over zealous oral surgeon when I had my wisdom teeth out at age 22.  I saw a dentist 2-3 years ago, I went in for a basic cleaning and the dude sold me a 2k crown and its still not right.  I never got the basic cleaning because 'my teeth were too dirty and i needed the deep cleaning'.   Hummmm no thanks.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Well, since the office mgr has already told you they don't have procedures, i doubt you're going to get anywhere. But, I would absolutely put the complaint in writing, and submit a copy to the BBB. I would also make a point of going to every dental referral website you can find and reviewing this guy. As for them sending it to collections, if your score is 800, 1 ding is not going to kill you. But you also have the right to submit a written "explanation" of anything on your report to the credit bureaus and they are required to publish that w your report so that anyone viewing it later will know the reason behind it.

As for the collection agencies, all you have to do is tell them they may not contact you by phone, that all correspondence must be in writing. It won't stop the harrasment, but it is easier to ignore the mail than the phone. Considering that you're HoH, it's probably a good idea regardless.

There are good pedi dentists out there, just like there are bad adult dentists.

And i've also had a phlebotomist digging for a vein on my 14 mo... Sometimes we just cant process fast enough to react appropriately. You may want to discuss partial sedation w any future dentist. Not all dentists offer it, but those that do are typically very used to helping traumatized patients, and are typically good at listening to those fears.

Also - any dentist who ignores or brushes off your DD's history of problems is not one you want to use. It was amazing to me the difference in comfort the first time i found a dentist (dental office, since the staff is generally indicative of the dr) who listened when i told them i was tongue tied (making certain xrays painful), and have an over-active gag reflex.

GL

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would write the letter, and be sure to include mention of your call to the office manager.  I would not pay no matter what, but we have horrible credit right now and lowering my score is the least of my worries, so I am no help there.  I'm sorry your family had to go through that!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#15 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 AM

We have high credit scores like you do (800+ each). A medical bill went to collections unbeknownst to us (our payment wasn't applied correctly). It made very little difference in our credit rating. We still received offers up the ying-yang and we still qualified for a mortgage refi at the best rates. I only found out about the collections bill when the collector got around to calling and harassing us, which wasn't exactly in a timely manner and they were soooo RUDE. In our case, it was an error and was retracted, so it was removed from our credit reports eventually. It did take awhile to get ironed out, but like I said we were receiving credit offers during that time and refinanced our mortgage during that time. It wasn't a big deal to lenders, but this was back in the mid 2000s. YMMV.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 AM
2xy

I had a really lousy experience a few years back at an urgent care clinic. I used to work as a medical assistant, so some things that may not have been as obvious to the average patient were very obvious to me and I was appalled.

Anyway, they sent me a bill (which I didn't expect) for some tests that my insurance didn't cover. I wrote them a letter describing my experience that day, explaining why I felt justified in not paying that bill, and never heard from them again.

#17 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM

If you're going to take a stand and refuse to pay, document everything, take pictures, write up a formal complaint and send it certified mail to the dentist and the BBB. Simply state that you have no intention to pay, and why. 

This isn't a dental issue but we had a plumber ruin our faucet and then charge us for it. I took tons of pictures, and attached them to a formal letter and sent it everywhere I could think of (this is a BIG company). They gave me a lot of push back and said that I was trying to ruin their reputation. They did that themselves though. I was only trying to protect us from having to pay and hopefully prevent it from happening to someone else.

#18 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 AM

I also had a bad experience with an urgent care clinic. At the end of the visit, I asked to pay the balance in full because I wanted to be done with them. So I even received a receipt that said paid in full! But I still received a bill with new charges. Even though I showed them my receipt and check stub, they didn't care.

I would suggest complaining to the BBB and your state Attorney General. Then complain to the Dental Board (whoever holds his license) and at least there will be complaints on file about his crappy demeanor.

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
#19 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Okay, the dentist in questions sounds like a huge jerk and I would second or third the complaint to the board that granted him his license.

However, I think he did provide the service you requested and ethically should be paid.  It happens with medical and dental stuff all the time.  DH had a vasectomy that failed (plus a nasty reaction to the Valium he was given).  We still paid the deductible and our insurance still paid it's portion.  By the time we found out it didn't work  it was all paid for already and we were in another deductible year and both the insurance company and my family were on the hook to pay for it again. 

#20 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

He didn't provide the service, though. I mean, he is obviously out some costs since he used the novocaine, he and an assistant spent 20 minutes, etc. But the procedure was not finished. We will need to go to another dentist to have the cavity drilled and filled, which could have happened yesterday but did not because of the dentist's (not our) choice. We will need to pay the full amount as if we never went yesterday. Since the tooth was opened, we also are running a risk of infection and who knows what.

#21 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

He didn't provide the service, though. I mean, he is obviously out some costs since he used the novocaine, he and an assistant spent 20 minutes, etc. But the procedure was not finished. We will need to go to another dentist to have the cavity drilled and filled, which could have happened yesterday but did not because of the dentist's (not our) choice. We will need to pay the full amount as if we never went yesterday. Since the tooth was opened, we also are running a risk of infection and who knows what.

And how is that different than my vasectomy example other than you knew right away that it didn't work?  If you had brought DD in and she refused to open her mouth period to me that would be different.  I think it would be unreasonable to charge in that situation.

#22 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post

And how is that different than my vasectomy example other than you knew right away that it didn't work?  If you had brought DD in and she refused to open her mouth period to me that would be different.  I think it would be unreasonable to charge in that situation.

But a known risk of vasectomies is that they may fail. You probably signed a paper to that effect before it was even done. This is more like if the doctor had stopped partway through the vasectomy.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#23 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post

But a known risk of vasectomies is that they may fail. You probably signed a paper to that effect before it was even done. This is more like if the doctor had stopped partway through the vasectomy.

I didn't sign any waiver, but I am sure that DH signed something to that effect.  I guess a significant portion of men never bother with the post op testing.

Yea I do see you point about stopping before he had really finished. 

But most dental procedures have a risk of not working too (fillings, root canals, implants).  I know lots of people who have had root canals that have never healed well enough to put the crown on and have ended up paying for the root canal and then paying again to have the tooth extracted.

#24 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah the analogy would be that the doctor suffocated you during the vasectomy and then said he would not finish the procedure because you kept gasping for breath and trying to tell him you couldn't breathe. Or maybe that the numbing agent didn't work and he instead threw his tools down and walked out instead of dealing with it.

The better dental analogy to the vasectomy situation would be that the dentist filled the cavity but it later got reinfected and needed to be redone. And we have in fact willingly paid for something that might turn out to be just that: DD's first filled cavity (by another dentist) may have been too deep, but he stopped when he felt he was pushing the limits and refilled her up. He explained that we would need to monitor for any pain in that tooth. Therefore the procedure may have failed, but it was a best effort and we understand the risks.

Yesterday's fiasco was not a best effort at all. The procedure is NOT done and we are worse off than we were before, not due to bad luck but due to his incompetence. The procedure could have EASILY been completed to our satisfaction.

#25 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:

What the hell is with pediatric dentists, I'd like to know?

Sounds like you got a bum one.  :(  Someone has to graduate at the bottom of their class, you know? 
The pediatric dentist I took my 2yo to last week was very gentle (as was the nurse/assistant/whatever) and they would just coax her to open her mouth by doing something funny, talking gently, telling her what they were going to do, etc.  With me sitting beside her on the exam table to help keep her still and reassure her.  He totally explained all we'd need to do next time (she had some cavities, how, I don't know), that I get to sit there with her in my lap, what they'd do, how they were going to do it, everything.  That said, my regular dentist is the one that recommended the ped one to us since my regular dentist doesn't see kids until 4+yo (when we first took in our older boys and they did great with the cleanings and everything).

Fwiw, dental insurance typically only pays out the cleanings, x-rays, and $1K/year of dental work.  So you're still paying for quite a bit out of pocket, and heaven help you if you need a root canal *and* a crown.  So while it's nice to have, it's not exactly good for anything catastrophic like playing hockey or something.  ;)

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#26 of 39 Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

There are temporary fillings that you can get at any Wallyworld, target, etc. That might make it feel better if it's bothering her. Poor thing, im sorry she had to go through that.

DD uses a regular dentist who is truely kid-friendly. Maybe ask around at mom's groups for recommendation?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#27 of 39 Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM

I agree with the PPs who've suggested sending the letter to the dentist and complaining to any dental or licensing boards you can find along with the BBB.

As to payment, would you be willing to pay for say, the nitrous, but not the temporary filling.  That might keep him from sending you to collections.

DD has had major issues with her teeth and we've had an awful experience with a peds dentist.  I couldn't believe that man chose to work with kids.  DD and I were both in tears by the time I grabbed DD and walked out on him.

But now we've found a fabulous ped dentist who we both love.  She's friendly and so patient and hires staff that are similar.  So don't give up hope.  Great ped dentists do exist.

ETA, we don't have dental insurance either.  Our ped dentist gives us a 10% cash discount.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#28 of 39 Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Oh man.  I am sorry to hear this pedi was an ass to your child.  I personally (in my dental experience) have only met 1 pedi that was good with kids.  Sad really.  Most that I have met do not even have kids.  Was this the holistic pedi I think you were going to?  Or was that for you... sorry I forget. 

SO..  in my experience... 

I would, like others have said, write a letter (send certified) explaining the whole visit and how your daughter could not breathe and was telling the dr. that too.  That right there is huge.  I am sure the staff talked about it with the dr. in a morning huddle/meeting the next day (hopefully).  I also think that he was abusive in not allowing the novacaine take affect.  That is just horrible.  Hopefully the decay wasn't too deep and maybe that is why he went for it.  I would be careful in your writing about that piece of the visit.  Mainly because most dds' (not all) have this idea that they know everything and that would really be attacking his education and judgement.... even though we know he is a ass..... to get this bill off the record, I would dance around that lightly, stating that the novacaine takes a bit to set.  I know I would want to be on a soap box in front of his practice yelling how horrible he is/was. 

I personally would wait a little bit (billing cycle) to see if the bill is gets washed away though your letter...  then go ahead with the BBB/dental board/etc regardless of the outcome. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Oh... since the tooth is compromised right now, some oregano oil would help.  Be sure to keep it clean and hope you can get it fixed really soon.  Can also buy temp bond filling material usually at a pharmacy... again just be sure the tooth is completely clean as not to trap bacteria/food in there. 

Sending hugs to your family.  I am so sorry that the dentist has been such a hard experience for your family.  It can be good again.   

'09   
#29 of 39 Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for continued input. I am going to write the letter - in fact DH already wrote a draft but I wanted to tweak it. But for some reason I seem to be avoiding it, I'm still upset about it.

This was not the holistic dentist, Xantho. We saw the holistic dentist and he successfully filled one of DD's cavities (an urgent, deep one). The holistic dentist, who I still like and respect and may see again for ME, apparently does not that well with kids. We were honestly a little upset after we left, but that was nothing compared to this week's visit. The holistic dentist said some things that were really not cool at all, including telling DD she was being a "bad girl" at one point when she was crying (crying, but not preventing treatment). Yet he still treated her like a person, talked to her, at least tried to help her through the process, said mostly kind things, etc. We decided to take her to the pediatric dentist instead of returning to the holistic one given that it wasn't a great experience (though not an utter disaster, by comparison). The pedi dentist treated DD like an object, and specifically an object that was interfering with his day. He did that from the very beginning. Ah, here I go recounting it all again, sorry guys, I tend to do that.

I think we will do the letter and just go from there. While I'm not counting on it, I think there's a reasonable (though small) chance we just might never hear from them again and that will be that.

One thing that is on our side is that we were referred to this pedi dentist by a regular dentist. (Sorry, I know, we've seen so many). I called the regular dentist's office yesterday and explained the situation. The receptionist I talked to was upset to hear it, and when she called back she said the dentist was upset too. This dentist is extraordinary in his customer service skills, so this would actually and truly concern him. Not to be confusing, but he referred us to to a specific pedi dentist, who owns the practice. He said specifically that it had to be HER. I got the message, and made sure to communicate that. We got an initial visit with her, and she set up a treatment plan. Then we made the first treatment appointment, and I was surprised to see that we didn't get her (though her name is on the appointment card I have), we got what turned out to be her part time associate.

So I'm sure SHE is a good pedi dentist, and I think there is a really good chance our regular dentist will call her up and discuss it. I'm also sure that whatever is said will gloss things over (since neither dentist was there and she'll have the story from her associate's point of view) but at the same time, our regular dentist has an upset patient, and he's a colleague and major referrer of hers. Even if she believes her associate and thinks we're nutcases, there is a bit of pressure here for her to just back off, I think. Since the regular dentist was careful to say it had to be HER I am thinking there have been complaints in the past about the associate. And that's a big deal. Since the regular dentist is so huge on customer service, he may honestly have to think twice about referring anyone to the pedi dentist again, even if she is that terrific, since she apparently has a major liability on her staff.

#30 of 39 Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can your dentist (the one who gave you the hopefully better referral) shed any light on how he thinks the pedi dentist should handle this? Just wondering from a dentist's perspective what he feels should be billed. Obviously, NOT the entire amount, b/c the work wasn't done.

I would wait til you get a bill. Then ask for a detailed itemized bill. When you look at it, you can see what was actually done and what wasn't. If you don't want to ruin your credit by refusing to pay at all, maybe you can agree to pay some of it, like for the office visit, since you were seen, and the novocaine. MAYBE the temp filling. But nothing more. Then send your letter explaining that this payment is the full amount you intend to pay for the services rendered, and that the remainder represents services that were NOT rendered due to the dentist stopping in the middle of the procedure and announcing his refusal to finish. It was HIS choice not to finish, not yours, so he shouldn't be paid. (And yeah, actually, just the fact that he didn't finish means he doesn't get paid in full, but make it clear in the letter that that was his choice, not yours.) And furthermore, since you'll now have to pay another dentist to finish, you'd like him to pay for all the other stuff the new dentist will have to do that you are paying for from this visit. The bill will follow by mail as soon as it is available. Thankyouandhaveaniceday. Something like that, anyway. I hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page