Selling my wedding dress - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have gone back and forth between getting my wedding dress preserved, selling it or just donating it somewhere.

I have a friend who sold hers through a consignment store, but she said she had to have it cleaned before (which cost a lot) and then only ended up making like $50.

Has anyone successfully sold their dress for any amount that seemed worth it?  I've thought about Craigslist, but I can't really imagine people coming into my house and trying on the dress, KWIM?

#2 of 4 Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Well I sold a bridesmaid dress and people did come to my house and try it on... It wasn't that weird but no one ended up buying it so I donated it to a prom closet.

You could try to sell it on CL first and see what happens. You would still have to have it cleaned first, though, I would assume. If CL doesn't work, then you could try to consign it.

I am keeping my wedding dress because it was only $500 new and if I could sell it, it would probably only be for $100 or so and thats not worth it to me...

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
#3 of 4 Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, how much is your dress worth?  Is it a designer brand and in pristine condition?  That might decide how much you can get for it.

I'll never sell my dress, it was custom made from scratch so it's unlikely going to fit other people well.  Plus it's not worth much anyway.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#4 of 4 Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Probably not.  I don't know what the designer brands are for wedding dresses anyway...  It was originally over $600 at a discount dress store.  I got it on sale for a little less.  It is in good condition, but would probably need to be cleaned.  It is a lovely dress and it is an unusual color--antique ivory or something like that, which I suppose could be good or bad depending on the person.

I'm not that sentimental, so I'm leaning toward not keeping it.  Maybe I should just donate it somewhere...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page