eating out with kids: order kids meal? regular meal? or just extra plate and give some of your own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what do you do? and what is most frugal?

We don't eat out much, but i am noticing portions at restaurants drastically smaller now than a few years ago.  This is probably a good thing, but I used to be able to share with my daughter and still have more than enough for myself, maybe i just eat more now who knows, although i haven't gained weight, but I now don't like to share haha or im still hungry

Do you order off the kids menu?

order child a full meal and then split her leftovers with DH/DP or save for dc to eat later?

or just get an extra plate and share your own food? I expect DH to also give dd some of his, but he tends to order things id rather her not eat....

#2 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM

We have 3 little kids, so we tend to order one adult meal, then they split it.  Our favorite Mexican restaurant has no problem with us ordering flour tortillas and refried beans (which my kids think is the best. thing. ever!), so two side dishes make the meal.  My kids are still really young, though, 1, 3, and 5, so they are still okay with this. 

Another favorite is our Mediterranean restaurant, and I order them, again, 2 side dishes, plus they eat some off our plates.  Somehow, it is plenty of food. 

My oldest wasn't a big eater for a long time (he eats a lot now, though), so I never got in the habit of ordering a kids' meal, and we've found that it is more cost-effective to order off the regular menu instead.

#3 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM

We usually get the kids something off the kids menu.   We eat out rarely so I want to eat somethind I don't make at home, which is typically either spicy or creamy.  DS2 is allergic to milk so anything creamy is out and ds1 is just starting to experiment with spicy food so that's out for sharing.

Dh and I do share sometimes, but normally we all get our own food and take home the leftovers.

#4 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM

DD is 3 and we just get an extra plate and share a bit with her. We've tried ordering her own meal a couple times but she doesn't eat enough for it to be worth it. I prefer for her to eat off our plates anyway because kid menu items are usually plain bland crap and I think it's great to expose kids to new/different flavors.

#5 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It varies from place to place. My kids are 8, 4, and 2. The oldest often can eat more then a child's meal, and if we order one adult meal, it isn't enough for all of them. Sometimes we do 2 kids meals and an app. Or one adult and 1 kids meal. I can share with the youngest or sometimes he can share with the 4 year depending on how hungry she is, she can also eat quite a bit at times.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post

We don't eat out much, but i am noticing portions at restaurants drastically smaller now than a few years ago.  This is probably a good thing, but I used to be able to share with my daughter and still have more than enough for myself, maybe i just eat more now who knows, although i haven't gained weight, but I now don't like to share haha or im still hungry

I also noticed this.  Another thing I have seen is a split plate charge of $2 or so dollars. 

The places we frequent have scaled down versions of the adults menu for kids.  The portion sizes are kid-sized and the prices reflect that so I let DS order what he wants and we do the same.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM

We rarely go out to eat, & only to casual places... My favorite is the GF/vegan Indian buffet which doesn't charge for kids!! I have to find more places like that!

Anyway, now that DS is eating more (he's only 2, so still not a ton!) we usually share our meals with him and also order an extra side to all split.

I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him a kid's meal, I don't know that I've ever even seen any kid's menu that listed food I'd be comfortable feeding DS.

I do wonder what we'll do as he gets older...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM

My kids were never interested in "kid menu" food, so we always ordered them their own entrees.  We took the extra home (unless dh or I helped finish it off at the restaurant) and someone had it for lunch the next day. 

#9 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 PM

We go out to a restaurant very rarely - like less than once every 3 months. Its a big treat, so the older 3 kids can order anything they want. The usually go for the kids menu. We only eat adult style food at home, so the kids stuff is a fun treat for them. I don't mind since they eat it so rarely.

We do occasionally go to Moes (mexican take out) and the older 3 all order kids meals - usually chicken burritios. Or we will order a pizza now and then.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#10 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 PM

we don't eat out anymore due to hubby losing his job. but prior to that on rare ocasion we would order 1 kids meal for my 2 girls to spilt. 3 and 6 yrs and then let my 2 yr old have some off our plates.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#11 of 41 Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Ds is 10 so he usually get a regular adult meal at this point. Unless its a rare day and hes not very hungry or there is something great and huge on the kids meal.  (The Elephant Bar has a great kids stir fry he loves)

When he was younger I got him a kids meal because that is what he would eat.  Sometimes when we would go eat mexican he would like his tacos unassembled (everything on the side) and he would assemble it like mini fajitas

I am also a huge coupon user to almost every time we go out I have a coupon or am taking advantage of some type of special they are running.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#12 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 AM

We don't really eat at chain restaurants, so we don't eat a lot of places that *do* have a kid's menu.  Most of these places also won't give a half-portion and charge less for kids.  (I've asked.)  Those places that do have children's menu are for frankenfoods I wouldn't let dd eat, anyway (hot dogs, for example) so I don't think she's ever even ordered off of a kid's menu.  For the most part, we've always let dd just order what she wants off of the adult menu/standard menu and take home the leftovers. 

However, if there is something that we'll both enjoy we'll split it... for example a half slab or ribs is great for the 2 of us, but neither could finish them on her own.  She's 9 now and for the most part is able to eat a similar amount to what I do.  If we're somewhere that we can't take leftovers home (like on vacation), then my dh will usually finish our portions for us.  Dd doesn't split anything with dh because he *always* finishes whatever he's eating.  For the ribs example, we'll even split a whole 3-ways between dd, my mother, and me if we're all going to order the same thing.  That makes money sense, I think.

We eat out once a week, at a nice sit-down restaurant (often ethnic), so our eating-out budget is high, but it's something we really enjoy as entertainment and not just getting sustenance.  We'll sometimes spend 2 or 3 hours at a restaurant and eat multiple courses (especially if they have good, live music), so it's worth getting good food for everyone.  Then again, we have an only (but my mom lives with us, so we're feeding 3 adults, too.  The way my mom eats, it's like having a teenaged boy in the house.  lol)  If we had 3 or 4 kids, this whole thing probably wouldn't make sense fiscally or logistically and eating out would be a whole different experience.

#13 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 AM

We basically go to 4 places and we eat out once a week. A local Mexican place, Chipotle, Panera and Wendy's when we're on a road trip. At the Mexican place they each get a side of rice and beans, at chipotle they get the cheese quesedilla kids meal, at Panera they get grilled cheese kids meals and at Wendy's they get a kids meal burger and oranges.

When we go to a new place I usually ask lots of questions. I want to know how big a normal portion is and how big a kids meal is. Then based on the price I'll decide what the kids will get. Sometimes that's just a side dish and other times it's a kids meal. Most of the time it's me trying to find something that is not too bad but will still make them happy and every place is different.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#14 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM

It really depends on the menu and how hungry everybody is when we go in the resturant. The last time we ate out as a family DH, DS1 (he's nine) and I each ordered a regular adult entree.  DS2 (he six definitely eats less than lot of other kids his age) didn't seem very hungry or know what he wanted so we ordered him a trip throught the salad bar.  It ended up being a good way to go.  The salad bar had lots of variety and they only charged him $3. DS2 ended up eating a bit of all three of the other entrees too.  DH and I finished our meals. DS2 had some leftovers.

#15 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 AM

As the kids grew ---

First we took some from our plates. 

Kids starting eating more so we would get an appitizer and share our plates. 

Kids demanded their own food so we ordered off the kids menu. Forgo the appitzer.

Now 16 year old so gets his own meal. The girls 10 & 13 get a meal and an appitzer that is shared with everyone.

#16 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 AM

We eat out on most Saturday nights.  We don't do any type of chain restaurants mainly because we're vegetarians (and the options are limited) and there are very few chain-type restaurants where we live (outside the tourist areas).  Nine times out of ten we eat Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern or family-style Italian.  We order several dishes plus a big bowl of rice (or pasta) and share everything.  Rarely do we get individual platters.  I never even knew that kids menus were so common until I came to MDC, mainly because we don't really have that option in most restaurants here.  It is funny, but when our relatives (with young children) visit us from out of town, it is always a challenge on where to eat because of the kids.  I think they are used to kid menus and it always takes us like an hour to order!

Like a PP said, eating out for us is a great form of relaxation and it is something we look forward to every week.  Most of the restaurant owners have literally seen DD grow up and always have some special treat for her for desert (usually on the house).  We almost always take home food with us and use if for lunch the next day. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#17 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM

We don't eat out often but we used to just get an extra plate for my ds and share our food with him. Now that he is older he has been ordering a kids meal, and we have been ordering one for my dd (2) too since she would notice he getting one and her not. But we seriously eat out like, 2 times a year max so it's not making or breaking us

#18 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Going out to eat for us is a pretty big treat.  

So we choose our restaurant and decide what we will eat before we go.  One place has free kids meals on Sunday so we go there on Sunday.  We buy two adult meals and two kids meals and everyone splits.  (so dd 1 and 3 share a meal and dd2 and I share a meal.  The kids meals get passed around for everyone.)

We go to olive garden and do the same thing.  Its nice because we can fill up on salad and bread sticks..  It is  A LOT of food though.  

When we go out to the Ethiopian or Chinese place we get 3 meals and split four ways.  

Two adult meals just aren't quite enough.  But my kids are older.  14, 11, and 8.   

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#19 of 41 Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It depends where we are and what they have.  When they were smaller we would just share, but now we will usually order them a meal to split, sometimes a kids one sometimes an adult one.  Some places they will happily eat whatever I order, other places I know they won't like what I want so it's worth it to get them something else to split.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#20 of 41 Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We never order kid's meals. Usually the food is lousy processed junk.

We order an extra adult kid and take home leftovers if needed. Usually the kids will craze off all of the plates.

#21 of 41 Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

When we do go out...we just went out to breakfast the other day, we do breakfasts a lot more than dinners, so much cheaper and DD is usually not tired or cranky or whatever...

Anyway we just ask for an extra plate for her because when we have ordered her a small thing she usually doesn't even care about it. She's only just turning 2 though and still nurses a lot so she isn't stuffing her face by any means.

#22 of 41 Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM

Well most places we eat don't have kids menus but from what I heard (and seen on road trips) is the food is all processed junk that my son doesn't like anyway.

In the "better" places we go to the chef is happy to make a kids portion of whatever is on the menu or our son orders an app. I think having kids who don't ask for plain pasta with butter is a treat for most of the chefs. We have gotten to know a number of them and they love to see our son coming. 

At the small ethnic places we go to most are family style so we order a few dishes, some rice (or naan, pita, whatever) and we all share. Before our son liked really spicy and we wanted it "Thai spicy" the owner would make a small serving separate for our son.

Our course it much easier now that my son is nine and can maneuver even the finest of places. Probably around age 4 is when we would get him his own meal.  Before that he would just eat whatever we ordered and I never bothered ordering him a separate meal.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#23 of 41 Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM

When they were small they ate off my plate or I ordered a side dish for them. As they got bigger they would share and I would add extra rice or a side salad or whatever to make sure they had enough. Now we prefer family style or Indian buffets, but my 2 teens can eat a LOT! ;) We eat out rarely now, though.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#24 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Well most places we eat don't have kids menus but from what I heard (and seen on road trips) is the food is all processed junk that my son doesn't like anyway.

In the "better" places we go to the chef is happy to make a kids portion of whatever is on the menu or our son orders an app. I think having kids who don't ask for plain pasta with butter is a treat for most of the chefs. We have gotten to know a number of them and they love to see our son coming. 

At the small ethnic places we go to most are family style so we order a few dishes, some rice (or naan, pita, whatever) and we all share. Before our son liked really spicy and we wanted it "Thai spicy" the owner would make a small serving separate for our son.

Our course it much easier now that my son is nine and can maneuver even the finest of places. Probably around age 4 is when we would get him his own meal.  Before that he would just eat whatever we ordered and I never bothered ordering him a separate meal.

Boy, I wish our restaurants did this.  I actually started a thread about this a couple of years ago because I wondered if it was regional.  Places like NYC, they had no problem, but here in the midwest, nobody does it.  The places we go say that it's too much trouble to do half-portions, including the fine dining places that we frequent.  Even the Indian, Turkish, Greek, and North African restaurants we enjoy won't do smaller portions and none of them have children's menus.  Luckily, most of these places, you can just eat family style.  The other places, we just bring home dd's leftovers.  She's 9 now, too, so it's making less and less of a difference.  It's making me wonder again if this is a regional thing, though.  Hmmm.....

#25 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 AM
2xy

Quote:

I've worked in some "better" places, and I must say that I've never met a chef who is happy to do so. It would be fairly simple to make a kids portion of a pasta dish or something, but a kid's filet of salmon or cut of steak? What would the chef do with the remainder of the portion? It would be wasted and every chef is conscious of food costs.

I hear ya about the pasta with butter thing. I never heard of such a thing until I was an adult; I don't think anybody ate stuff like that where I grew up. The first time someone ordered that from me for their child, I was like, "Really?" Didn't know it was a common thing....

We didn't go out to eat much when our kids were little. I really can't recall what we ordered for them.

#26 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

The restaurants we tend to go to have pretty good kids meals, so when we're there, the kids usually one of those. At other restaurants, they sometimes share a regular meal. It just depends on what they want to eat that day. They aren't as happy sharing as they used to be so I love when the meal is split in the kitchen.

#27 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I've worked in some "better" places, and I must say that I've never met a chef who is happy to do so. It would be fairly simple to make a kids portion of a pasta dish or something, but a kid's filet of salmon or cut of steak? What would the chef do with the remainder of the portion? It would be wasted and every chef is conscious of food costs.

I hear ya about the pasta with butter thing. I never heard of such a thing until I was an adult; I don't think anybody ate stuff like that where I grew up. The first time someone ordered that from me for their child, I was like, "Really?" Didn't know it was a common thing....

We didn't go out to eat much when our kids were little. I really can't recall what we ordered for them.

Maybe because we are regulars? I don't know, we have never had an issue at places we dine frequently. And if the chefs were unhappy they never let on and often came out to check out the kid who wants to the fried calves liver or bouillabaisse.  But to be honest I don't think we ever ordered a child's portion of steak/meat though, LOL.  My husbands wants the leftovers! That's not to say that we didn't occasionally come across some places not willingly to accommodate us. In those cases my son stuck to apps or he ordered things that would make a good lunch the next day.

The pasta and butter is very common in Italy for the little ones but more often than not its "Aglio e Olio" w/ lots of parmesan cheese. However here in the states it seems to come from panicked parents who are happy to have their kids eat anything even if there is little to no nutritional value.  Its kind of sad really, since how do kids even know about plain white pasta with butter if the parents didn't give it to them. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

Boy, I wish our restaurants did this.  I actually started a thread about this a couple of years ago because I wondered if it was regional.  Places like NYC, they had no problem, but here in the midwest, nobody does it.  The places we go say that it's too much trouble to do half-portions, including the fine dining places that we frequent.  Even the Indian, Turkish, Greek, and North African restaurants we enjoy won't do smaller portions and none of them have children's menus.  Luckily, most of these places, you can just eat family style.  The other places, we just bring home dd's leftovers.  She's 9 now, too, so it's making less and less of a difference.  It's making me wonder again if this is a regional thing, though.  Hmmm.....

I think I remember that thread velo.  We live out side of Boston and its very common. The ethnic places are like yours for the most part- no kids menus and family style dining. 

A number of chefs here are kid focused-Ming Tsai and Barbara Lynch come to mind which I think helps the broader range.  Ming has kids with food allergies so every menu item has complete list of ingredients.  Barbara has been doing a lot of work/cooking classes with under privileged kids. There are high end food places with a family focus popping up all over the place. However when we went to visit friends in Michigan a few years back if a place had a kids menu it pretty much defaulted to chicken nuggets and mac n cheese. They looked at us strangely when we said we didn't a kids menu.

This is an interesting article that ran the Boston Globe recently: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2011/05/04/little_people_big_palates/

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#28 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Maybe because we are regulars? I don't know, we have never had an issue at places we dine frequently. And if the chefs were unhappy they never let on and often came out to check out the kid who wants to the fried calves liver or bouillabaisse.  But to be honest I don't think we ever ordered a child's portion of steak/meat though, LOL.  My husbands wants the leftovers! That's not to say that we didn't occasionally come across some places not willingly to accommodate us. In those cases my son stuck to apps or he ordered things that would make a good lunch the next day.

The pasta and butter is very common in Italy for the little ones but more often than not its "Aglio e Olio" w/ lots of parmesan cheese. However here in the states it seems to come from panicked parents who are happy to have their kids eat anything even if there is little to no nutritional value.  Its kind of sad really, since how do kids even know about plain white pasta with butter if the parents didn't give it to them. 

I think I remember that thread velo.  We live out side of Boston and its very common. The ethnic places are like yours for the most part- no kids menus and family style dining. 

A number of chefs here are kid focused-Ming Tsai and Barbara Lynch come to mind which I think helps the broader range.  Ming has kids with food allergies so every menu item has complete list of ingredients.  Barbara has been doing a lot of work/cooking classes with under privileged kids. There are high end food places with a family focus popping up all over the place. However when we went to visit friends in Michigan a few years back if a place had a kids menu it pretty much defaulted to chicken nuggets and mac n cheese. They looked at us strangely when we said we didn't a kids menu.

This is an interesting article that ran the Boston Globe recently: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2011/05/04/little_people_big_palates/

I really like that article.  The only thing I don't agree about is that by 10 - 12 months toddlers should be eating what the parents are eating.  My dd didn't even start solids until right at or after a year old.  She was still EBF.  However, she did jump right in to eating what we eat by about 15 - 16 months old.  We were living abroad when she was a toddler, we've traveled all over the world with her in her lifetime, and my dh isn't American ( what we eat at home is kind of odd, too), so she's always had a wide variety of foods.  And she's an adventurous eater, with a palate to rival most adults.

As for restaurants not wanting to cut down a regular portion, my chef friend (who won't do it even for us, although we're regulars at his restaurant) explained to me that when they are in the kitchen and an order comes in for, say, Steamed Mussels Provençal (a favorite of dd's), they probably have more than one order on the line for that particular dish.  Trying to make sure that the portion is made correctly can put more strain on the kitchen because there is a rhythm to how they have their stations and what not.  Then the runners have to make sure the right portion goes to the right table.  They consider it a headache.  But with a children's menu, if an order comes in for, say, chicken strips, it's only on the children's menu and they know it will be a children's portion.  It's about how the kitchen flows, he says.  Now, I've never worked in a commercial kitchen, so I don't know all of what he is saying, but why they can manage it on the East coast and not here is beyond me.  ;)

#29 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Now, I've never worked in a commercial kitchen, so I don't know all of what he is saying, but why they can manage it on the East coast and not here is beyond me.  ;)

I don't think it's a matter of being able to, but about wanting to.  

I work in a large, extremely high-volume restaurant. On a Saturday night we generally have between 12-15 line cooks busting their behinds back there. That doesn't take into account the prep cooks or kitchen management. We do accommodate special orders, to a degree, and customers do not understand the level of communication necessary to get their dish made correctly when they've decided to create their own entree. For example (and this is a very simple request, relatively speaking), someone orders a sandwich made with fried chicken instead of grilled chicken. The station at which that sandwich is made does not have a fryer. So the person in charge of expediting the food (he or she is akin to the conductor of a symphony....making sure the right things happen at the right time) has to tell the person on the fry station to make the chicken and get it to the other station so the other cook can build the sandwich. Sounds simple, right?

The fry cook has now been interrupted from making his own orders. The sandwich station has to wait for the chicken. Meanwhile, there are six other items being made for the table with the special sandwich, all at different stations, and they're all computer timed to (hopefully) be ready to go to the table at the same time. The computer does not take into account the extra time needed for the special chicken....it sends the order to each station as it has been programmed to do. (If someone orders a well-done steak and her dining partner orders fried calamari, the steak order gets sent to Broil's screen as soon as the order is submitted. Assuming it takes, oh, 18 minutes to cook a well-done steak, and 4 minutes for fried calamari, the Fry screen will not receive the calamari order until 14 minutes after the order is submitted.) So, if the kitchen is already struggling to keep up, that piece of fried chicken can delay the entire order....everything else will be ready, and the food runner will still be waiting for that sandwich.

Now keep in mind there are many nights where we do $1,000 in sales per hour. The restaurant seats almost 300, there is usually a wait at the door, plus we do take-out. Imagine how many orders are coming in, and consider how many people make special requests. So if you've decided to design your own meal, for whatever reason, and your dish isn't ready when everyone else's is and you have to wait for it....that's why.

Special orders slow things down and cause stress on the kitchen. A slow kitchen means guests wait longer to eat. I can understand a restaurateur not wanting to go that route. You have to keep the majority of your clientele happy to be successful in the restaurant business. If the majority of your clientele are families with young children, it makes sense to do kids portions or have a kids menu.

#30 of 41 Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 AM

What she said above is exactly why we like to dine a little off-peak whenever possible. We don't dine out that often, but when we do we prefer to have a little more flexibility.

DD, age 10, usually shares with us. We generally order two regular meals and split them amongst the three of us, requesting an extra plate and specifically NOT doing a "split plate" (not due to money but rather the unique way we will divide up the meals to feed us all). It has taken DH a long time to be comfortable with this, but he does wonderfully now! He will even let the server include all the ordinary items for the meal and just ask for the things he doesn't like to be served on a separate dish. This is HUGE!!! I will almost always eat whatever it is he doesn't like because it is usually veggies or fruits and I like nearly all of them. I let DD place the order often to give her practice.

DD doesn't like ordinary kids menu type foods. We eat mostly cooked-from scratch or close to it at home, so prepackaged fried stuff and boxed mac&cheese doesn't cut it. The only boxed mac&cheese she likes is Annie's and it more because of the memories we've created than the actual food. (She has half-days once a week at school and she learned to cook lunch those days - with me. We started with easy things like this.) I won't pay $5 for grilled American cheese on white bread, either. DD makes her own grilled cheese sandwiches at home with whole grain bread and whatever cheese we have (never American), so she understands why I won't pay that much for something she doesn't even like that much and doesn't fill her up.

We eat at a variety of places (chain and independent; various meals; various foods offered), but we don't go out that often. Our monthly dining budget is $101 this calendar year, which equals 1-4 meals of any kind out. We like cooking and eating at home, but it can be fun to eat out once in awhile. Some places offer good kids meals and DD chooses one sometimes. We've ordered off the menu at chains and local places during off-peak times. I have not found appetizers to be well-rounded substitutes for a meal in the places we go.

DD eats about as much as I do at most meals. We have found in the past couple years that breakfast at most places requires three regular meals for us to be satisfied. The portions at breakfast, at least around here, seem skimpy. Dinners are still too large for us to each have our own. We rarely go out for lunch, but that one is highly variable. It is the one meal DD eats less volume than me, but most lunch foods are single portions. Too large for any one of us, but not easily split three ways from two orders. Leftovers are hardly ever desired when we do go out for lunch because those are usually when we are out already doing other things. We bring our own a lot of the time or eat a hearty breakfast and bring snacks and water or plan an early dinner or whatever. Lunch is the most flexible meal for us.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page