books or resources? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You ladies turned me on to Dave Ramsey.  We are doing a modified version of the steps.  I love his get out of debt / snowball concepts and the steps and we are working to get out of all of our debt other than mortgages.

That's where he loses me, though.  Paying off mortgage ahead of time makes sense if you assume that home prices will always rise, but I have had my faith shaken in that area.  Also, I don't want to have a credit rating of zero.  I don't think in this day and age you can live without credit score or a credit card.  

Any other resources anyone found useful?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM

I like Dave Ramsey a lot too, but it's mostly his manner - his soft caring touch with people - and not necessarily his methods.  I do think debt free is an excellent way to live, but I enjoy investing and I don't do that 100% with cash.  I mortgage my investment properties and thus far, that has worked for me.

I enjoy Suze Orman - she has a different way about her, lots of passion and spunk.

There are many interesting books out there that I've enjoyed, including:

Money Secrets of the Amish - by Lorilee Craker

In Cheap we Trust (history of frugality in the US) by Lauren Weber

Debt Free U - counter culture book on funding your education - by Zac Bissonette

Millionaire Next door - a real classic, of course

Keeping these kinds of resources in my life keeps my 'eye on the ball' in terms of my own wealth plan. Once you tackle your own consumption monster, get rid of debt and put some investment planning in place - the dividends really start to PAY OFF. 

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
mtm

For websites I like the Simple Dollar and Get Rich Slowly. My fave personal finance person is Gail vax Oxlade, she is the host of Til Debt Do Us Part and Princess and has a website as well. Your Money or Your Life is also good. But if you like Ramsey and agree with him til the mortgage stage, follow him til you get there. I don't like his investing advice so I jump ship after bs3 and follow loosely after that.

User Tag List