Would you go on vacation while laid off? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is laid off & collecting UE. We have cut out any non-essentials (not much to cut out, we live simply I guess) and are saving every last cent. We do have savings and he has 1.5 years of UE still, so we are not worried about immediately running out of money but just trying to be extra cautious in case this turns out to be really long-term.

OK so we usually go on 1-2 vacations each year -- somewhere in driving distance, stay at the cheapest hotel/camp, bring our own food, do free local activities -- so relatively inexpensive.

We really REALLY want to get away from the stress etc. and go to our favorite local spot... and DS is so much happier on vacation (he's high-needs and I just really cherish those trips because he's so happy on them, we get to feel more like a normal family!) Plus if DH does find a job, it would probably be hard for him to get time off right away, so I feel like we should take advantage of DH being so available, and just GO. And I have 4 weeks of vacation time that I somehow need to use by Dec.

But the other half of me thinks it's completely stupid to even consider spending anything on something so frivolous!!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Depending on the total cost, maybe.  My first reaction was NO!!!!  but if you're taking food (you'd eat at home anyway) and doing free activities and camping...how much can it really set you back?

#3 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As long as you can budget it in and your bills are still paid, absolutely yes.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM

My husband isn't totally laid off - but his company was shut down, and now he is working for a temp firm and does not know if the new company is going to hire him or if he will be on unemployment - but either way, we are going on vacation next week.  It is his parents 50th wedding anniversary and all his siblings are coming as well.  We have already paid the major portions of the expense.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#5 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Yes, you should go.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#6 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh this is great getting your perspectives!! I tend to penny-pinch even in the best of times so I'm never sure if I'm being prudently cautious or just plain stingy.

We don't have access to the camping equipment we usually borrow (and with a toddler, borrowing anything makes me nervous since he could destroy it!!) so we'd need to buy a tent, tarp, and a few other things (probably under $50) and pay for gas plus campground fees or find a free campsite. I think ideally we'd stay in a hotel because the heat's been bothering me lately and it's easier... so depending what we'd do/how long we stay, it would cost us total between $100-400.

I desperately want to get away. *insert whining* lol.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 AM

We did!  My dh was working, and I was a SAHM (~5 years) at the time with two young children.  We were in a town where we had no family and were slowly making friends and I desperately needed a vacation.  We booked a one-week cruise and were to take the kids to grandma's house in another city.  Two days before we were to leave to go to grandma's, my dh got laid off (mid 2008).  We had no credit card debt and some savings, but we had a mortgage and a car note.  We went anyway!  I don't regret it for one minute.  I got a job 5 months later which I love, but it took my husband 2 years to find another job (he's very picky).  It took us 8 months to sell the house (while paying rent in the city where I got my job), but we were able to get through it all while keeping some savings.  We were very fortunate.  As long as you don't have credit card debt and have some savings I say go for it!   

#8 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If it won't cause more financial stress, then yes, go. Enjoy. 

A few years ago, both dh and I found ourselves without jobs. We knew it was temporary, we had savings, and we were relocating anyway. We packed up the kids and took a long driving/sightseeing vacation to get to our next home. It's a very special memory for us. 

#9 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I wouldn't, personally. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

This exactly!  DH is on UE also, and I am on maternity leave, but we budgeted in a couple of camping trips for this summer.  

There are lots of daily deal websites out there that can help you have really fun vacations (even if it's a day trip) for not too much money.  

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#11 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

yep.  great time to get away

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't think of a better time to go.  it doesn't sound like you are being extravagant and spending money you don't have.  Might as well take a week off and get away from the stress.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Yes, go! Enjoy your vacation with your family.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 18 Old 05-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Yes, I would go!  Just because you are laid off/on UE doesn't mean you should sit in the house and do nothing.  

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#15 of 18 Old 05-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

here is my philosophy on things - which bless her heart my xmil helped me to see. 

the one whose needs has at all costs to be taken into consideration is our soul. everyday when dd was a baby she'd call me and ask me what have i done for my soul that day (marriage was on the rocks so even in a marriage i was all alone with a HNs baby and she wanted to make sure i kept my sanity). i'd tell her about what about my baby made my day and she'd tell me - no tell me what have YOU done for YOUR soul today. because i was coming from a taking care of dd perspective. teh day i told her how dd touched me emotionally she accepted. 

in times of stress we must grab at any source of joy. because i have discovered in my own journey - something changes within me when i take care of my soul (it doesnt matter whether u believe in god or not. by soul here i mean YOURself. and the word soul is a shortcut method for saying urself). for a few days, moments i feel so destressed. and the result. i can think more clearly and logically when i've had a break.

the world does not look like such a hopeless place. and you know what. the answers jump out at me. AND over and over and over again things have always worked out. 

simple example (perhaps too simple). i have the last $ in my purse and dd asks for a mexican bakery treat. i have the money but its my last $. at first i immediately ball up and fear just wells up within me. and then i go what the heck. i am tired of living that way. and we eat and walk home and its all so beautiful and the day seems better than it is. 

the key is not doing it. the key is giving yourself permission to do it. and later on while doing laundry i found that dollar in a pocket. at that moment it fills me with such deep great joy that we did something when we could. both dd and i had a great time. otherwise if i hadnt and found that dollar oh man i sink to the pits of sadness. to the very depths. that i did not spend the money. 

i have read many first accounts from the depression when even thru the hunger and darkness - little acts of soul caring really made for wonderful moments. even, yes even at the cost of food. choosing to eat buttered toast for lunch at the cost of no dinner. 

so yes. do it. a holiday means more to ur family now than it has always meant. esp. if you have the money NOW. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 18 Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Meemee can you come live with me so you can just spew little bits of inspiration at me all day long? love.gif

#17 of 18 Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Oh this is great getting your perspectives!! I tend to penny-pinch even in the best of times so I'm never sure if I'm being prudently cautious or just plain stingy.

We don't have access to the camping equipment we usually borrow (and with a toddler, borrowing anything makes me nervous since he could destroy it!!) so we'd need to buy a tent, tarp, and a few other things (probably under $50) and pay for gas plus campground fees or find a free campsite. I think ideally we'd stay in a hotel because the heat's been bothering me lately and it's easier... so depending what we'd do/how long we stay, it would cost us total between $100-400.

I desperately want to get away. *insert whining* lol.gif

First, go and have fun.  My crew went on the longest vacation we had ever taken (18 days in the Summer 2009) when DH was laid off.  He ended up being off of work for 10 months afterward (for a totally of about 18 months).  Anyway we made lots of great memories and we all still talk about it often (and had a pretty lame vacation in 2010 since DH did not have much for vacation accrued).

I tend to be a bit of a camping equipment snob, but directionally I think spending more on tent than $50 is going to money well spent.  IMO Cheap tents=wet people and gear.  A quality tent can last a long time (We still regularly use a tent we bought in 1998 that probabily has 150 night of use on it.  It has one window that held together with duct tape, but I have never gotten wet in despite being in some crazy rainstorms).   Our average price per night is less than $2 for that tent.  Anyway a thoughtfully picked out $200 tent should last longer and be way more functional than four $50 tents.

#18 of 18 Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM

Go, have fun, and come back refreshed and ready to job search! joy.gif

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page