Loaning money to friends -what do you think? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugly Update:  confused.gif

I sent her an email telling her I'm hurt and angry and that I trusted her when she said they'd have the money by the next week.  I wrote that I'm beginning to feel like I've been had. 

That brought some drama!

She and her husband are offended that I would insinuate that they are "some kind of low-life scum" and her husband went as far as to say that the "shine is off the good deed" and that my "daily" emails to his wife reflects the nature of person I am.   I only emailed every 7-10 days!  There were no daily emails.  He also wrote that it's my fault for loaning money I couldn't afford to lose and that I should have used my common sense.  Both she and he unfriended and blocked me on Facebook.

My mom (their mutual friend) sent them emails (unbeknownst to me).  She was assertive, but not hateful or abusive.  She detailed for them the hardship it's causing.  The husband responded by saying his wife never should have borrowed money from someone who wasn't in their income bracket (And what bracket is that?  Broke?!) and that this isn't the trailer park.  (We don't live in a trailer park.  We just bought a bigger, new construction house actually.)  I don't know where that reference came from.  They have no way to know our income bracket as we live in different states and they've never been to our house (though we've been to theirs). 

After his last email to my mom, he blocked her email address.  So she replied to him on his work email (they have a home/family business), and now he's threatening a slander suit since he was contacted at his place of business.  His home?  And he said that other employees received the email as well.  His employees are his wife and oldest son.  The son lives with them too,   nut.gif

This is CRAZY! 

P.S. I had $200 in my Paypal account today though. 

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#32 of 58 Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and my mom mentioned the wife's saying that the threat of eviction is why they can't pay back the loan, and the husband replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about, and neither do you."  Hmmmm.  So I sent him all the correspondence between me and his wife (emails).  I don't know what she told him about how often I emailed her, but the exchanges were all in one big long (last) email, so I just forwarded it to him.  That way he'll see how often I really emailed and will get the whole story from both sides. 

When she first called and told me about their situation, she said her husband was really struggling because his adult step-daughter had recently passed away and that he was self-destructing and had told her she had a week to find a new place to live.  That the money stress was making things so much worse and that she didn't have anywhere to go.  I told him that their situation sounded desperate and I was trying to relieve some of the stress on the family.  Not sure how I turned out to be the bad guy.  greensad.gif

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#33 of 58 Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

You turned into the 'bad guy' the day you asked for repayment of the loan. 

Really. at this point I would let it go.  These people really sound evil and vindictive.  Totally not worth the $600 (now $400) they owe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post

Oh, and my mom mentioned the wife's saying that the threat of eviction is why they can't pay back the loan, and the husband replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about, and neither do you."  Hmmmm.  So I sent him all the correspondence between me and his wife (emails).  I don't know what she told him about how often I emailed her, but the exchanges were all in one big long (last) email, so I just forwarded it to him.  That way he'll see how often I really emailed and will get the whole story from both sides. 

When she first called and told me about their situation, she said her husband was really struggling because his adult step-daughter had recently passed away and that he was self-destructing and had told her she had a week to find a new place to live.  That the money stress was making things so much worse and that she didn't have anywhere to go.  I told him that their situation sounded desperate and I was trying to relieve some of the stress on the family.  Not sure how I turned out to be the bad guygreensad.gif

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#34 of 58 Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm sorry to hear about your money lending fiasco.  At least you're not alone and not out of too much money.  Loads of people have experienced that and learned it the hard way.  I did a similar thing before and the "friend" turned on me.  She started saying all sorts of  hurtful things to me and it's my fault that she couldn't pay me back...etc.  One day on the phone she went nuts and predicted that I'll have unhappy marriage and a bleak future out of nowhere.  I never talked to her again.  Honestly, I didn't even ask her for the money back and was very willing to wait, don't know why she needed to do all those.  I suspect she meant to break our relationship so she would not have to pay back.  I understand sometimes people simply can not afford to pay back due to job loss or illness, but at least they can be nice about it and say they're sorry.  It's their loss to lose two friends (you and your mom) over one small loan. 

You should let your DH know about that.  I'm sure hiding it from him is partially why you're so mad about this.

ReadingMama likes this.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#35 of 58 Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM

wow!!!! That is nasty!! I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I'm glad your mom is also on your side so they have to be accountable to more people than just you. And, I'm glad they found a way to put the $200 back. At least that's something.

I have to share with you something I did as a good deed that backfired on me, because we've all done it. As a result I'm a lot more cautious now which is kinda sad but I need to protect myself. I has befriended a man at my work and his wife and we did a few things together. Then one day the man came to me at work on a Friday and asked if he could sleep at our apt as his wife had changed the locks, emptied the bank account, and filed a restraining order on him. He had no money, did not have his visa (he was from another country) and was in a bad situation. I did not believe he was the type to abuse anyone either. So for a week he slept on our couch until he got paid again and had $ to find an apt.

Well, the wife accused me of having an affair with her dh! And threatening to kidnap her children, which is why the police showed up both at work and at my apt on a few calls before they got wise to her. She sent a dead bird to me in the mail, sent a photo of me with a gun pointed at my head (and I was pg at the time, terrified me so much) and several tearful apology letters in between these incidents. I finally got the police on my side and they threatened to charge her with mail fraud and such, and she finally left me alone. She was also apparently doing this to another family and spray painted their garage door or something and got herself arrested. I had no idea what kind of person she was until I did my good deed to give her dh a place to sleep. Wow.

I hope this all gets resolved soon and I would just steer clear of them from now on and just say goodbye to the remaining money. 

ReadingMama likes this.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#36 of 58 Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the support and the advice.  I'm sorry most of you have been in this situation too.  I guess I'm just learning the lesson later than most! 

You know, the wife is a nice person for the most part.  She might have overstated their situation (perhaps it was more due to her being afraid he was going to kick her out of their home?), and she has been much too breezy about the delayed loan payment, but I think she's good at heart.  The husband has really shown his true colors though.  After getting his second and third angry emails yesterday, I reminded him that I didn't involve him in this.  He wrote me after my mom wrote him.  I didn't want to involve him because of their marital woes and because really, I didn't know for sure if he even knew about the loan.  She said she told him about it and he wasn't happy that she borrowed it, but you never know.  My mom was suspicious about that as well, and wondered if that was one reason I wasn't getting repaid, and that's why she emailed the husband. 

"Somehow" they were able to come up with $200 in the span of 24 hours.  Despite the ugliness, she's glad her intervention helped.

#37 of 58 Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

jaw2.gif

WOW!  That really stinks!  She basically became your stalker!  Well, that makes me feel a little better about MY situation!  Sheepish.gif

Thank you so much for your support. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

I have to share with you something I did as a good deed that backfired on me, because we've all done it. As a result I'm a lot more cautious now which is kinda sad but I need to protect myself. I has befriended a man at my work and his wife and we did a few things together. Then one day the man came to me at work on a Friday and asked if he could sleep at our apt as his wife had changed the locks, emptied the bank account, and filed a restraining order on him. He had no money, did not have his visa (he was from another country) and was in a bad situation. I did not believe he was the type to abuse anyone either. So for a week he slept on our couch until he got paid again and had $ to find an apt.

Well, the wife accused me of having an affair with her dh! And threatening to kidnap her children, which is why the police showed up both at work and at my apt on a few calls before they got wise to her. She sent a dead bird to me in the mail, sent a photo of me with a gun pointed at my head (and I was pg at the time, terrified me so much) and several tearful apology letters in between these incidents. I finally got the police on my side and they threatened to charge her with mail fraud and such, and she finally left me alone. She was also apparently doing this to another family and spray painted their garage door or something and got herself arrested. I had no idea what kind of person she was until I did my good deed to give her dh a place to sleep. Wow.

#38 of 58 Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Psh, in this situation I would publish those emails on facebook and anywhere else on the internet I could.  I would quite loudly announce to anyone and everyone I know that they are lying thieves.  Folks get to be users because they get away with it. 

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#39 of 58 Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Psh, in this situation I would publish those emails on facebook and anywhere else on the internet I could.  I would quite loudly announce to anyone and everyone I know that they are lying thieves.  Folks get to be users because they get away with it. 

Is that even legal?  Would that be considered invading their privacy or something?  These people (especially the husband) sounds very cranky.  I'm not sure if I'd really be willing to make an enemy for $600.  Plus if you ruin their reputation, they might feel like they don't owe you any more because you already did the revenge.  After all OP wants her money, not enemies.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#40 of 58 Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

She isn't going to get the money.  All she can do is help to spread the word that no one else should give them money.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#41 of 58 Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 AM

I also wonder how many other people this person has done this too.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#42 of 58 Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Lesson learned. First, you didn't have the money to loan. The money was for something else. I know you thought you would get it back when she said, because that is what she said, but loaning money is like the stock market. The money is not safe. You should never loan money you can't afford to get back.

But even if I had the money to burn, I wouldn't have loaned it.  Who really needs $600 for groceries for a weekend? Seriously, what kind of phone bill could there have been.

If I thought they were in need, I would have dropped off some groceries to tide them through the weekend and perhaps lent a DVD for older kids or dropped off some new art supplies or something for younger ones.

#43 of 58 Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Lesson learned. First, you didn't have the money to loan. The money was for something else. I know you thought you would get it back when she said, because that is what she said, but loaning money is like the stock market. The money is not safe. You should never loan money you can't afford to get back.

But even if I had the money to burn, I wouldn't have loaned it.  Who really needs $600 for groceries for a weekend? Seriously, what kind of phone bill could there have been.

If I thought they were in need, I would have dropped off some groceries to tide them through the weekend and perhaps lent a DVD for older kids or dropped off some new art supplies or something for younger ones.

This is a family of 10 who has a family business run out of their home.  They live in another state, so I couldn't drop off groceries.  And I got the call on a Friday afternoon--so I couldn't even direct them to an open food pantry. 

I've certainly learned my lesson!  

#44 of 58 Old 06-24-2011, 03:04 PM

UGH. at least it was only 600 dollars. we were taken for 10k.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#45 of 58 Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

DANG!  How'd that happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

UGH. at least it was only 600 dollars. we were taken for 10k.

#46 of 58 Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM

pretty much the same way. someone we trusted asked us for it; and told us they would give it back to us in a certain time frame. they did not.

we were in a similar situation of being far away and not having any other way to help (or a real handle on how bad their situation was).

Unlike you, we didn't have a good handle on our money and thought that we could afford it. One additional baby later, I"m now SAHM-ing, and we feel that  money really could have put that money to better use.

I will never loan any money to anyone again. I do not have the heart for it.

ReadingMama likes this.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#47 of 58 Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

I have a rule of thumb that you only ever loan money that you can afford not to get back. 

this exactly.   

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#48 of 58 Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for being gracious, but we really don't have a good handle on our money either.  We have no savings, which is why this was such a stressor.  My dog is recovering from an illness with a vet bill of $667 so far this week, and I had to use mortgage money for it.  Our vet doesn't make payment plans or have Care Credit.  :(  Thank God for 5 paycheck months! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

pretty much the same way. someone we trusted asked us for it; and told us they would give it back to us in a certain time frame. they did not.

we were in a similar situation of being far away and not having any other way to help (or a real handle on how bad their situation was).

Unlike you, we didn't have a good handle on our money and thought that we could afford it. One additional baby later, I"m now SAHM-ing, and we feel that  money really could have put that money to better use.

I will never loan any money to anyone again. I do not have the heart for it.

#49 of 58 Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM

I don't ever lend money now. I have been burned as well and learned my lesson. : (  I haven't read any of the other posts but i hope you get your money back. 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#50 of 58 Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 AM

These people sound like they are somewhat entitled.  Especially if she is making a big deal out of eating "humble meals" and "this is not the trailer park" kind of crap.  

You are a very sweet person and tried to help someone out.  Sorry you lost your money (and it does sound lost)  I encourage you to tell your husband.  Apologize.  And then figure out what you will do next together. 

I never loan money.  no matter how dire the situation.   The best I can do is give someone $20 for groceries and hope someone will be there for me when I need $20 for groceries. :)

ReadingMama likes this.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#51 of 58 Old 07-01-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, ladies.  :)  Believe it or not, my mom getting the lady's husband involved has led to $400 of the $600 getting paid back.  Maybe it's an ego thing?  No word on the other $200, but since I've received 2 $200 payments so far, maybe I'll get that back. 

I did tell my husband.  He didn't freak out about it or anything.  He understands that I was trying to help and believed them when they said they'd pay it back within a week.  WHEW!  happytears.gif

#52 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 AM

good for you! after I read this post i goaded my hubby into talking to our 'lendee' as well. Still no payback, but at least the conversation is still going.

#53 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm glad you've gotten some of it back!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#54 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Glad you got 2/3 of what you had coming and I hope you get the rest. Glad your mom got involved and I agree w a pp, it sounds like this couple is feeling quite entitled.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#55 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM

I wonder if you got most of the money back because the husband had not known about it before your mom got him involved.  

#56 of 58 Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 PM

I have to wonder if the husband had no idea.   His reaction seems as though he was caught off guard and humiliated.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#57 of 58 Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing.  But still, his hostility is misdirected.  If it caught him off guard, he needs to take it up with his wife.  The last time I talked to her, she told me they'd been to court about eviction that day.  My mom mentioned that to the husband and he replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about and neither do you."  Not sure how to take that. 

#58 of 58 Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM

that sounds so shady... glad you got some of your moolah back op!

mama to one '07 and one '09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page