More than I think I can handle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had just gotten to the point that our emergency fund was above $800.  So far it's helped us pay for a new refrigerator, a new computer monitor, and our portion of the weatherizing repairs done through a state program.  I was just beginning to feel like things would be ok...we were even sweet talked my parents into watching the kids for us for one night so that we could get away on our own.  Then....

1)The tile in the only shower we have is somehow cracked between the tile and the grout lines.  The tile was placed directly on the drywall and so by the time I catch it the entire drywall is soaked right through.  We'll need to replace it.  No problem - the four piece shower/tub is less than $500.  We'll have plenty in the savings account to cover that!

2)But then my husband's car started leaking anti-freeze.  No problem says the shop it will be $100.  Sweet!  Nevermind, we fixed that and the system's still not holding pressure.  You need this other thing and it will be $550.  Ok, skip the shower - we'll just keep an eye on it and use lots of caulk.  I think we can save for the shower repair between now and July without too much problem and still afford to go away that one night.

3)But then the basement seems awful damp.  I check the dehumidifier and it's bone dry which means I've been paying all this money for the electricity to run it and it hasn't done a darn thing.  I've got it unplugged and I'll try turning it on tomorrow just in case the coils froze up.

4)Did I mention I also found mildew growing in the corners of the basement which means that we've probably got a drainage problem.  There's one corner in particular that's more wet than damp.  There's also a gap between the basement wall and the floor so maybe that's where some is coming in?

5)Oh, and the train table is wet because there's water dripping from the ceiling in the basement.  Goodness knows where that's coming from.

I'm a SAHM, we homeschool, and I'm already overwhelmed with the upkeep of the house that always seems to fall on my shoulders because dh is working so much.  I think I need to get a job just so I can afford the necessary repairs on the house and the accompanying professionals (roof, downspouts, gutters, bay window in the living room, painting the house, basement water issues, bathroom, mysterious leak, etc, etc, etc).

I don't know if even getting a job will help given the costs of working (childcare, clothing, gas, etc).  I've never really had a career, but I have worked as an admin assistant before so I guess that's what I'd have to start looking for.  Since this is absolutely a financial decision I really would need to clear a decent amount of money to make it worth it for our family.  Any ideas as to how expensive childcare is in a moderate cost of living area and the likelihood that me working will even make a dent?

#2 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm sorry. (((Hugs)))  Childcare is totally different in different areas in my experience.  Are all of your kids 'homeschool age' or are any of them 'daycare age'.  I'd start by calling a few daycare centers and seeing what they charge.  If you tell them you have an X year old they should be able to give you a rate just over the phone.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#3 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I babysit for free so my son will have a playmate. The little girl will be going to school this fall and I am considering offering to babysit a homeschooled child whose parents work. (Though I might start charging a nominal fee just because we could use the money.) This would help the other family and would give my kids built in playmates. Plus I could just take the whole gang on homeschool events.

The reason I tell you this is maybe there are other homeschool families in your area that are interested in coordinating the same.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post

1)The tile in the only shower we have is somehow cracked between the tile and the grout lines.  The tile was placed directly on the drywall and so by the time I catch it the entire drywall is soaked right through.  We'll need to replace it.  No problem - the four piece shower/tub is less than $500.  We'll have plenty in the savings account to cover that!

Maybe you can take down some of the tiles and see how far the water really went in? You may not need to replace the entire set up. As a kid I lived through my dad taking out all the tiles and drywall and duct taping up a tarp to keep walls from getting wet so he could fix a leak.

2)But then my husband's car started leaking anti-freeze.  No problem says the shop it will be $100.  Sweet!  Nevermind, we fixed that and the system's still not holding pressure.  You need this other thing and it will be $550.  Ok, skip the shower - we'll just keep an eye on it and use lots of caulk.  I think we can save for the shower repair between now and July without too much problem and still afford to go away that one night.

Get a second quote?

3)But then the basement seems awful damp.  I check the dehumidifier and it's bone dry which means I've been paying all this money for the electricity to run it and it hasn't done a darn thing.  I've got it unplugged and I'll try turning it on tomorrow just in case the coils froze up.

Fingers crossed it starts working tomorrow!

4)Did I mention I also found mildew growing in the corners of the basement which means that we've probably got a drainage problem.  There's one corner in particular that's more wet than damp.  There's also a gap between the basement wall and the floor so maybe that's where some is coming in?

Mix water and bleach and scrub off the mold. If it's not a foundation issue you could caulk it and paint it with something like Drylok that waterprrofs masonary walls.

5)Oh, and the train table is wet because there's water dripping from the ceiling in the basement.  Goodness knows where that's coming from.

Is there  a ceiling? Remove a tles or you can cute a hole in the drywall and look and see what is dripping. It might be an easy fix. Move the train table and give it a bleach cleaning too.

Resistance is futile Matey
#5 of 10 Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 AM

So sorry! HUGS! I don't have any advice, just hugs. treehugger.gif

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
#6 of 10 Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 AM

hug.gif

It sounds like you really only need a few hundred bucks to get back on top of things? If that's true, perhaps you can get a small loan to fix things while you build your fund back up??

How much 'leftover' do you have each month? Is this an ongoing problem (always being just a bit short) or is this just a bad spell with lots of unexpected expenses? If it's just a bad spell, I'm sure you'll get through it, and I wouldn't jump to WOH just because you've hit a rough patch. But obviously if it's an ongoing problem then something needs to change!! Is there something you can do nights/weekends (waitressing or something?) to bring in some extra cash without needing daycare? Is your DH even home enough for that to be possible? I also like the idea of babysitting in your home... Something like that might give you just a little more breathing room, and you'll still be able to homeschool etc.

I'm so sorry you're overwhelmed right now!! We just went through our own little set of crisises (car was totaled, computer died, home repairs, etc.) and DH lost his job at the same time! He's still unemployed but otherwise we got through the rest of the crisises & are holding steady now.... but boy was that a stressful stretch of months!!! hug.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 10 Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Childcare in my area (and we're right around the average according to the websites I've looked at) is $100-125 a week at the cheapest, and can go up from there. But, an experienced, skilled admin makes $10-12 an hour here. So if I were working as an admin, I'd gross $1600, probably net $1200, pay out $400 in childcare, and still make $800.

FWIW.

#8 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 AM

Just an attempt to be uplifting.  I have had my dehumidifer stop working a couple of times because the coils are coated with junk and taking the cover off and vacuuming it good has revived it twice so far (both several years apart).  If we aren't running the humidifer in warmer weather condensation drips off the water pipes on to the basement floor.  Anyway getting the dehumidifier going or replaced may solve both of those problems.

I guess I think the car would be the most urgent and I would find some plastic to cover the tile with cracks in in so that you are not introducing more water/mold/rot issues in your bathroom.

#9 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I know the feeling. We were audited by the IRS.  For 2 or 3 tax years.  I forget.  And apparently the mortgage documents weren't actual proof that I owned my house for which I was taking mortgage interest deductions.  Our refrigerator broke.  It was fixed for $576. But we had to eat out every day for 2 weeks because the first time they repaired it, it was with a defective part.  Then the axle on my husband's car broke.  Somewhere in there we learned we are and would not turn on.

Whew!  But, we'll make it.  And hugs to you!!!

In the meantime, with respect to the shower, you can try putting up plastic to cover it to keep the water out.  We had to do that when the shower in our old place was causing a leak in the unit below us and the tile had to be removed, pipe repaired, re-tiled and re-caulked.  And since we only had one bathroom, allowing it time to dry was fun!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#10 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Sorry, was trying to say that somewhere in there we learned we are unexpectedly expecting and that my husband's car stalled at the gas station last night and would not turn on again.  For some reason, that language was eaten and I cannot edit my post.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page