Summer '11 ***Low Income Support Thread*** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well it looks like we won't have to evacuate due to flooding. Which is good. Actually, it's really, really great! We can't afford an evacuation, and a family of 5 with 2 dogs and a cat in a 12' camper (a friend gave us an old hunting camper she had in her yard that was unused this spring and BIL has paid to fix it up for the rights to use it whenever we aren't) didn't sound like fun anyway.

My cell phone is broken. I can't afford a new one. It won't even turn on anymore. I don't have an upgrade until October (we're on MIL's plan). And really I want to wait until my contract is up in January so that I can get a prepaid phone and save money. I'm hoping I can afford to get a cheap one on Ebay or Craigslist because I'm due in November. We're planning to UC, but it'd be nice to call if I go into labor while DH is at work. And I hate him traveling to work without a phone, so him leaving his is okay but not great.

We made a payment plan with the mortgage company. Well, DH called and talked to them and they agreed we'd be okay as long as we were caught up by the end of this month. DH sent them a payment for part of the total we owed them. They sent the check back last week with a letter stating they needed the entire payment in full. Fine, we planned to send it all in at the end of the month. THEN today we get a letter than our mortgage is sent to an attorney for foreclosure. And that in addition to paying our balance, in order to save our house, we would now have to pay their attorney fees as well. I put our van for sale on Craigslist. We'll have to get something else before the baby is here, because not all of us will fit in DH's car. I am waiting for a call back from our state's mortgage assistance program, too. Not sure what else we can do. We're also out of FS for the month, and the powdered goat's milk that dd3 needs through WIC I called and asked the store to order it 2 weeks ago and it still isn't in so we've had to buy that.

The worst part is that we HAD our budget meticulously planned. We had it figured out. This month was paying the mortgage up. Next month was paying one small family loan and catching up our utilities. Doing that, we'd be FINE come September. We'd be on track to have money left over at the end of the month, and start building savings and paying down debt. And in one tiny moment, that's ruined. I hate this. The constant struggle to stay afloat.

I'm praying this van sells. We NEED it to. Then we can use the money we have in the bank for the mortgage to pay that family loan completely, and start saving for a new vehicle.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 AM

justmama- we had something similar planned with our mortgage company and then they turned it over to an attorney. Really ticked me off; we were waiting on a grant we were eligible for- for months I had no idea when we would get it. As soon as I had the date, I called the mortgage company and let them know. The next day they turned it over to the attorney. Kickbacks anyone? Anyway, due to the added fees, we can no longer afford to get the house current (that and the grant was 1/2 of what it should have been- we still could have managed before the added 5K in attorney fees). I hope things work out for you guys. So frustrating when you finally have things set and things like this happen.

#63 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Well we just got DH's last UI check. I am freaking out a bit and he just started crying. He is so depressed and as much as I hate to see him this way, hopefully this will wake him up a bit. He has a hard time seeing beyond today when it comes to finances and I am tired of being the only one spending every moment stressing about the next 6  months. He is going to cash out his 401k so we will be ok for a few months but after that I am TERRIFIED!!! I know things could be worse and I just have to appreciate that we have time right now and make the most of it.

Does anyone know much about how to show income for food stamps when you are self employed? DH's business will have lump sums but not very often so quarterly reporting scares me. We could make too much 1 quarter but nothing the next quarter. I think we will lose our food stamps once we cash out the 401K anyway so it may not matter. I think I am going to go throw up now...sorry

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#64 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 01:16 PM

Is there any way to avoid cashing out the 401 K?  Won't you pay like 30 per cent of it for taxes?  Sorry mama.  ((((hugs))))

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#65 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Justamama, it's good you guys won't have to evacuate.  I hope your van sells soon.  Maciaslc, DH had to send in a bunch of stuff to get our food stamps, it was a major pain.  I think he did do the quarterly thing, but he hadn't had any income so they didn't believe him, eventually he got it ironed out though.

Unfortunately our health insurance subsidy was less willing to work with us, so DH and I are unexpectedly uninsured AFTER we had already some medical services.  Can't wait for those bills...We got the girls on the state health care plan right away.  I'm waiting to apply for me because if I am in my last trimester they will cover a midwife homebirth, but usually it's just hospital births.

We dropped off one of our two non-functional cars at the mechanic Friday, they called this morning to say it was running, but when DH walked a couple miles to pick it up it wouldn't start!  The not starting is a different problem we knew would be a problem soon that we didn't ask them to look at, so at least I don't think we are getting scammed or anything.  DH's mom is paying for the car to be fixed (we already owe her SO MUCH MONEY).

DH applied for a couple jobs last week, we are hoping for an interview with someone soon.  One was a full time job that pays more then he is making, the other was a part time thing he could do in addition to the 30 hours he is now working and the computer design business he's trying to get going.

Today was kind of a rough morning with the kids.  Ya know, one of those days where you have to physically hold the 3 year old for 40 minutes during a tantrum so she doesn't hurt anyone....typical mom stuff right? lol.  The insurance the girls have now cover mental health services, but I don't even know where to start with that..

Good news though, DH is borrowing a truck today so we can haul a bunch of crap out of our backyard and garage to the dump!  Old flooring and stuff we've ripped out of the house that the girls find fascinating, I'll be glad to see it go.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#66 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Well we pawned everything imaginable today. Managed to get enough to cover the electric bill and some food and gas. My dad is graciously helping us with rent (i.e. paying for August's) so we should be good until DH starts getting paid. Fingers crossed.

DH is hired, just waiting on some paperwork to make the signature circuit and then he's in. We're keeping our fingers crossed he'll start Friday. As soon as he starts, I'm putting in my resignation. I'm drooling at the thought. Now we just have to make it through the end of the year and we'll be back on our feet. I can pull my "retirement" out in December and we'll get our tax return by the end of Jan/beg. of Feb. I plan to go to the Vocational School here and get my cosmo license. It's something I'll be able to do on the side to pull in a little extra $$ and it doesn't take that long to complete. Plus I can qualify for pell grants and do the schooling for free.

The van has been dead for nearly a month now. The tag is expired and the battery that we bought just over 3 months ago went kaput. I long for the day when we can buy a reliable car without a bunch of issues.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#67 of 140 Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I haven't been on here in awhile since so much has been going on! I really am not sure how much more I can take I am depressed slightly but no health insurance so I can't talk to anyone and all my friends have disappeared. First thing first we have been going to dr after dr to get help for my daughter and no one would listen. FINALLY got our diagnosis last week of Autism,ADHD, and a learning disability. We have therapist appts usually 1 time a week,speech therapy,occupational therapy, plus the dr office usually. I am so give out and tired just really tired.

My job situation at the Hispanic grocery store got very crazy and I ended up putting my 2 week notice in. I left on a Thursday and he suddenly shut the store down and fled the state without paying anyone. Thank heavens I started my new job the same day but I am getting only 11 hrs one week and 35 the next so everything is random. Hubby got laid off for a week and is back at work but I don't know how we are going to pay our house payment this month, taxes for the car,tags for the car,inspection, plus food,lights and other bills. I just don't know anymore.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#68 of 140 Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

Is there any way to avoid cashing out the 401 K?  Won't you pay like 30 per cent of it for taxes?  Sorry mama.  ((((hugs))))

We transfered it to an IRA so we'll only pay 10% taxes. Sadly absolutely no way to avoid it. I am hoping we can get it done before the 1st so we can pay rent. DH has 1 sale that was supposed to close 7/31, then again last week, but we are still waiting and that was to be rent money. Now I am afraid it isn't ever going to happen. This realization came to me today and I am even more panic'd than I was before. Ugg!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#69 of 140 Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

We transfered it to an IRA so we'll only pay 10% taxes. Sadly absolutely no way to avoid it. I am hoping we can get it done before the 1st so we can pay rent. DH has 1 sale that was supposed to close 7/31, then again last week, but we are still waiting and that was to be rent money. Now I am afraid it isn't ever going to happen. This realization came to me today and I am even more panic'd than I was before. Ugg!

((((((hugs)))))))))    that sucks.  Can you alert the owners , or is it a big company?  you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

maciascl likes this.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#70 of 140 Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM

YAY! DH just got confirmation of approval for his sale so it will close before rent is late. I am so tired of this extreme roller coaster my life has become. I should be thankful that even though it is always stretched to the last possible moment, things keep working out, but the stress of it is wrecking me. I am so tired of being a ball of raw nerves and on the verge of tears most of the time. I just want things to even out a bit even if they aren't perfect a little stability would be awesome.

#71 of 140 Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM

So my car should be fixed for real this time.  DH will pick it up on his way home from work.  It's going to be SO nice to have a car again, it's amazing how stressful grocery shopping becomes without a car, not to mention I'm really tired of being stuck at home!  He also got paid yesterday, so we should be able to pay the water bill before we get a shut off notice, and pay down a couple medical bills enough so they won't send us to collections.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#72 of 140 Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM

So I just passed the NCLEX and am now a registered nurse, feeling a little frustrated at the lack of positions for new nurses.  (FYI, there is NO nursing shortage, I repeat...)  Unfortunately, because I just graduated from nursing school no one else will give me a chance for other positions that I am qualified for such as being a CNA or PTCA.  I am driving an unsafe, one thing breaking down after another car.  I promised my kids after nursing school things will change, and feel like I failed to deliver.  I am hoping, praying, trying to manifest a job, any job so far I have had two interviews and the one position they decided to not hire a new RN for, the other is awaiting approval for the hours based on census.  I have put in close to 40 applications, have excellent references, graduated Cum Laude, was a CNA for over 10 years...and I am still here, struggling.  On the positive, education in itself is never a waste, I have a roof over my head, food, everyone is healthy, I have a supportive family, good kids, a nice dog and hope, I have hope.

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#73 of 140 Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM

I got a new job at the pharmacy on top of working at the grocery store. So will be working grocery store nights and the pharmacy mornings. Finally, can afford to get done what I need.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#74 of 140 Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~good luck vibes Frolick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frolick16 likes this.

Resistance is futile Matey
#75 of 140 Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolick16 View Post

So I just passed the NCLEX and am now a registered nurse, feeling a little frustrated at the lack of positions for new nurses.  (FYI, there is NO nursing shortage, I repeat...)  Unfortunately, because I just graduated from nursing school no one else will give me a chance for other positions that I am qualified for such as being a CNA or PTCA.  I am driving an unsafe, one thing breaking down after another car.  I promised my kids after nursing school things will change, and feel like I failed to deliver.  I am hoping, praying, trying to manifest a job, any job so far I have had two interviews and the one position they decided to not hire a new RN for, the other is awaiting approval for the hours based on census.  I have put in close to 40 applications, have excellent references, graduated Cum Laude, was a CNA for over 10 years...and I am still here, struggling.  On the positive, education in itself is never a waste, I have a roof over my head, food, everyone is healthy, I have a supportive family, good kids, a nice dog and hope, I have hope.

A lot of flu clinics will be starting soon, most agencies will take new grads. It's temp work but it can pay the bills. Another place to look is correctional nursing, it's contract and usually 8wks but it pays will and builds the resume. Good luck.

Momsteader likes this.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#76 of 140 Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 PM

averysmomma05: congrats on the new job. 

frolick16: I am sorry! That has got to be hard to go through all of that schooling and have no real prospects. You did what you were supposed to and it is the economy's fault you can't find work. I really hope something comes up quickly.

We met with the company that hold DH's IRA and only cashed out half. I am praying we can stretch it through the end of the year. However my anxiety and panic have come back. This is it, there is no safety net left after this! I don't know what we will do when this is gone. I keep hoping DH will get a job but he just seems to be focusing on real estate more. I really need to talk to him about it, but I am too emotional to be able to. The economy and real estate market are not in a place now, nor will they be in another 6 months for us to be able to survive if that is all he is doing. I am so freaking terrified!

#77 of 140 Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Do you have any information about how I can sign up or apply for these types of things.  I would greatly appreciate any help you can give!!!  Thank you!

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#78 of 140 Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxjourney View Post

A lot of flu clinics will be starting soon, most agencies will take new grads. It's temp work but it can pay the bills. Another place to look is correctional nursing, it's contract and usually 8wks but it pays will and builds the resume. Good luck.

Do you know how I can find out more info about these types of positions?  Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Also, does anyone know how TANF works? And how you qualify?

#79 of 140 Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

http://www.maximhealthcare.com/ Is one company that does flu clinic staffing and staffing in general.

https://jobs.flushotsusa.com/  Is another one that I have seen advertised looking for flu clinic nurses. I plan to apply in my area. I'm currently not work and DH is , we have rent and mortgage and while our income doesn't make us "low" income the amount of usable income every month is very low right now.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#80 of 140 Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Haven't been on here in a while, but not I"m even lower income. Our income just dropped to $900 a month - and $725 of that has to go for our mortgage.We are also running a month behind, so September is going to be bad all around, and it's my daughter's birthday too. Thankfully I have her birthday covered from thrift finds and clearance I bought a while back.

Any ideas for ways to make income that don't require a car or me working a regular job? I am in default on my federal student loans, so working a regular job is out as I won't get the pay. I have been selling books online through bookscouter that I find at thrift shops, but I don't think I can make enough of a profit to keep doing that. Doing daycare is out too for medical reasons.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#81 of 140 Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM

Have you tried online things for gift cards such as swagbucks, harris polls, and mypoints?  I do those, it's not very much, but it's something.  

I am about to apply for our state health plan, I'm in my third trimester now so I should be able to keep seeing my HB midwives instead of one of their providers if all goes well.   If not, we'll be scrambling to pay them cash before baby gets here. 

#82 of 140 Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

Have you tried online things for gift cards such as swagbucks, harris polls, and mypoints?  I do those, it's not very much, but it's something.  

I am about to apply for our state health plan, I'm in my third trimester now so I should be able to keep seeing my HB midwives instead of one of their providers if all goes well.   If not, we'll be scrambling to pay them cash before baby gets here. 

We already do Swagbucks, Irazoo, and Mypoints, but that goes towards our home schooling book needs. I've ramped up on all of those to try to get more GC's to use for other needs. Can you tell me about Harris polls? I have not heard of them.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#83 of 140 Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM

http://www.harrispollonline.com/

They email you surveys that you fill out for reward points.  They are my favorite of that type thing because they don't have ads plastered everywhere, the surveys are easy to navigate, and they ONLY email you surveys that you get points for.  I seem to acquire points more slowly then with say, swagbucks, but I have gotten multiple amazon gift cards from them, so they are legitimate.

#84 of 140 Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Well the having 2 jobs thing didn't work out great as I had a breakdown last week and quit the grocery store. I feel much better but really need to get into my dr because I am depressed and need to start my meds again. Anyways, hope everyone else is doing well.

#85 of 140 Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Sick as can be, went to urgent care and got a lecture about ABX over usgeage irked.gif.  (was sent home and told to take sudafed)  Finally got an abx called in - after complaining to corporate- but now my sinus infection has settled in my lungs and I think bronchitis is raging.  LOVELY. Steroids are in my near future.

School starts tomorrow in the district I sub in.  Hoping teachers starting using PTO soon so I can get some days of work.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#86 of 140 Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Well I did some sleuthing and discovered we should be getting $750 in food stamps and not the $350 we're getting now. So much has changed since we last applied! That extra $400 would be a God send right now. So I'm off to figure out how to reapply with our current situation.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#87 of 140 Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

Well I did some sleuthing and discovered we should be getting $750 in food stamps and not the $350 we're getting now. So much has changed since we last applied! That extra $400 would be a God send right now. So I'm off to figure out how to reapply with our current situation.

Wow, we have to update every 6mo and are told to call any time we have a significant change in income.  You should have a social worker assigned to you that you can just call and leave a message that your situation has changed.  Good luck.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#88 of 140 Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM

Day 4 of traditional school tomorrow and I HAVE A SUBBING JOB!    This could be a good year!   High school math.  Early in, early out!   Home before 3!

Keeping everything crossed for a job on Friday too.- and every day after that!

Momsteader and maciascl like this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#89 of 140 Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Oh dear lord, I need to find a full time job.  I don't know if my nerves can handle another year of subbing.  And today was HIGH SCHOOL.  The dramatics, the mouth, oh gosh,.. really folks, its MATH... open your book and figure it out.  Some of you are graduating in 4 months, some in 8, the rest in a year or so... problem solving skills are a major need in the work place.

Momsteader likes this.

#90 of 140 Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM

I keep alternating between feeling good about our finances and bad.  Good side, is we are going to be able to pay our September house payment without begging off of family, and August is already taken care of. We can pay the water bill BEFORE it's shut off, we paid a parking ticket that's been hanging over our head FOREVER.  DH scored a great deal on wood for the dining room floor.  Bad side, lots of bills are still going unpaid, including some medical expenses, our cars still need work, and there is just SO much more that needs paid then the amount of money we have.  I still don't know about insurance, so we still may need to pay cash for the birth.  I just need to keep remembering the good stuff, that helps.  Oh, another good thing is MIL bought us a membership to our favorite museum.  It's the perfect rainy day activity, and Libby absolutely adores going.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page