Summer '11 ***Low Income Support Thread*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Summer (June - August) 2011 support for those living with low incomes.

Support only, no flaming!!!!!

Link to last thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1307753/spring-low-income-support-thread-april-may 

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ahhh facing "Layoff Land" again.  hammer.gif

Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm so glad it's June - May was just brutal for us. We made it on selling books at Half Price books, but now I only have one load left to take. I have got to go down and reapply for FS and medicaid, we've been so busy with family stuff I haven't been able to yet.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 AM

Hi.... 

Having a pretty bad day today. I`m really, really broke, and don`t have money to pay my electricalbill. Hopefully they won`t do anything about it until I get some money next week. Hopefully. 

Luckily I do have food for the week. 

Big hugs to everyone.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 AM

So sorry LoveBugMama greensad.gif

Thystle, I hope you can steer clear of layoff land!

Well I don't know if anyone remembers but I had found the perfect job back in January, working weekdays 4-7 (DH gets off work at 3). Well we lost a big client so I got my hours cut to 0 on May 1! I am hoping they find a new client or something and I can go back but I am not holding my breath. I have a new business (very tiny) in the works so maybe I will get some extra cash from that!

We have decided to sell our home because the mortgage is too high. It is $1400 and our income is $1600! We owe $170k (bought for $185k 6 years ago) and we will list it for $190k and after closing costs/fees/etc, we will have "made" about $2k (there is a $5k allowance in there to go down in price or offer closing costs). The realtor is just about the top one in the state and has been selling homes like hot cakes so I only pray she can sell ours, too! We will be moving into my sister's empty townhome and renting that. She is giving us a good deal on rent, in fact she is losing out because her mortgage is higher than what our rent will be but she thinks it is worth it to have trustworthy people in there. She had it rented for the last 6 months to awful people who completely destroyed the house! She has about $8k in damages and the carpet guy said the carpet was the worst smelling her has ever smelled in 20 years and he has even been in homes with dead bodies on the floor for a week! My poor sister greensad.gif I was hoping we could have moved in last week but the repairs are still going on for at least another week.

We will not list our house until we can move because we did have it listed (with a terrible realtor) a couple months ago and it is just too hard with us living here- it looks like a daycare threw up in here! So we will be repainting the kids rooms and some of the other rooms and moving most of the stuff out except for a few peices of furniture to leave the house "staged". WISH US LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Once we start paying rent, it will be $950 which is so much better than $1400!!!!!! I will be so relieved when all is said and done!

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am joining this one.

Hope your home sells boygirlboy! goodvibes.gif

And for lovebug, dust.giflightbulb.gif Hope those lights stay on!!

Frugalmama, Oh sweet books. I am considering selling my nice diaper stash of expensive fitteds and just getting prefolds. So hard to do.

Hugs everyone!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Had to take out the dreaded cash advance to pay the electric bill before it got shut off. Thankfully my check should be here tomorrow so we can pay it. I'm not sure what it means for the rest of the month though. I had a dream last night that I got fired from my job. I wouldn't completely against the idea, but I need my insurance payment at least until DH can get a job. Everything seems to work out without me freaking out about it, so I'm trying to stay chilled out and finish out my pregnancy without too much stress.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM

(((((Thystle)))) Hope the layoffs stay far away!

This month has to be better than May, but will be VERY tight. We have no budget for anything but paying mortgage payments, DH's gas to get to work, and paying MIL back what we owe her. Anything extra (utilities, groceries, my gas, etc) has to be figured out some other way. FINALLY getting to the office to apply for FS/Medicaid tomorrow. Seems like something has stopped me from being able to for the past 2 weeks. :/

Once June/July are over and our mortgage is all caught up, we are thinking of putting the house up for sale or rent and moving two states south where we can rent a house for much less than what we pay to live here and DH can work a normal 40 hr/wk job rather than working 50 hr/wk. The rent we could get will leave us paying $15-60/month on our mortgage. But we'd be where we want to be geographically, we could have more time as a family, and the state is more lax in their vaccine/hs laws.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oops, I just posted on the May thread today! I just got hired by a work at home company called leapforce, I'm hoping it's not a scam. I really want to spend the next couple of months at home with my kids since in September I will be going to school to become an RN and working part time as a CNA which will put me out of the house for 40 hours per week. I need to save up money for when school starts since I don't get my scholarship, grant and work study until after classes start. I am pondering taking summer classes that I don't need to jut to get some financial aid but I don't think that would be honest or right so I doubt I will, unless I can find a class that is needed for my degree that is offered online over the summer.

I think I need to pay off some of my debts before then too since I have really bad credit and doubt I'll be able to rent a house or apartment in the town I am moving too.  I am going to try to sell some of my old textbooks at the end of this term if they are still worth anything. And I will also be posting items on craigslist and amazon in an attempt to raise funds and declutter. I just wish my dead-beat of an ex would pay back the money he borrowed last fall, then I wouldn't have to worry about all this.

Thanks for reading I appreciate being able to vent here

be good family...

Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Doing resumes.... no employer is beating down my door, heck no one is even calling or emailing....

And to make matters worse I think the Monsoon is coming, we are getting cloud cover and the humidity is rising....its just way too early in the season for this....115 and humid is NOT OKAY...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 PM

So, we're considering renting out our extra room to make some money. (We never planned on almost 2 years of unemployment for me.) Has anyone here ever done this? I'm a little nervous about having a stranger live in my home with my two children. We have 2 people who have expressed interest and are planning to interview them and have background checks, but I just don't know. OTOH, we need the money.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Just checking in. We're doing ok, getting by with DH's overtime and the little bit I can make subbing at the school I used to teach at.

On the other hand, my mother's colon cancer has spread. We have a family reunion scheduled for this month (which we can barely afford but I'm not going to tell her no). She told my sister that she didn't really care if she lived after that, and she told my other sister she thinks she has four or five months left.

So I guess I need to save for plane fare for a funeral, and figure out how to tell my mom goodbye.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Layoff is happening Friday.   gloomy.gif

goodvibes.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~job and $$$$ vibes for everyone!!!!! !     praying.gif

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Thystle: Sorry to hear about the layoff. Hope soemthing comes through quickly! Thanks for the new thread!

mamaofaprinces: I am so sorry about your mom! Big HUGS to you!!

GirlBoyGirl: Good luck selling the house. I know the market here is turning and things are selling faster.

We know we can squeek by for June and July but after that....who knows. DH's unemployment runs out in July. He really needs some clients quick or we will be cashing out his 401K that will get us through for about 5 months I think. But we would lose food stamps during that time. We could apply again after it was gone and even qualify for Medi-Cal I bet, but I REALLY don't want to have to do that. I mailed in 2 different applications for assistance with electric bill so if thpse come through that should cover it for til December. 1 less bill will be nice.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post

So, we're considering renting out our extra room to make some money. (We never planned on almost 2 years of unemployment for me.) Has anyone here ever done this? I'm a little nervous about having a stranger live in my home with my two children. We have 2 people who have expressed interest and are planning to interview them and have background checks, but I just don't know. OTOH, we need the money.

I haven't rented a room but I've been a roommate. Those were the longest and most stressful 2 1/2 years of my life (and my son was ages 7-10 during that time).  The person I rented from I knew from the time my son was born and we had a pretty good understanding of how things were going to be.  I can honestly tell you the little things start to get annoying after a bit.  

Sharing the fridge, the whole grocery thing and dinner time.  The laundry room shuffle, there are 7 days in a week, 24 hrs in a day yet everyone wants to do laundry at the same time.

You are renting a room but the person is going to want to use the house, the living room, kitchen, bathroom etc... this person is going to be interacting with your family on a daily basis.  What are your kids going to call this person?  Mr/s Johnson, Sam, Mr/s Sam?  What happens if the kids get attached to 'Sam' but YOU can't stand them after 2 months?  What if "Sam" can't stand the reality of living with kids?  

What happens when the renter wants to have overnight guests?  wants to have a party and entertain?

**I found it very difficult to have any friends over when I was a roommate, and it was horrible on DS, his friends NEVER came over.

Thats not to say the roommate thing is awful for everyone but I think you need to really think it through, think about the logistics of it, some real life scenarios, and be honest about what you can and can not live with.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 AM

Today I bought a dress (with money I don't have) but if I ever get an interview I'll look good.- or if I ever get a date I'll look good for that too.   The dress is conservative yet fun.... it will cover about 99.9% of events that I would ever need AND it makes me feel good.

I've been doing resumes right, left, up and down and getting no responses.  I really don't know what to do anymore.  I can't even get a dang temp agency to call me.

Thystle I hope your DH has better luck than I do in this wonderful state.

To end the day DS dropped a brand new jar of pickles, (why don't they use plastic containers, everything else comes in plastic these days), so we had a mess to clean up and I think I have a tiny tiny piece of glass in my foot.

Tonight I paid bills, everyone is paid.  I have no money but if everything goes according to plan and there are no surprises, everything will be paid this month.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM

zebra 15: Thanks for your insight. We have had people live, rent-free, in our room before for periods of time. One was my sister, which is a bit of a different situation. But, we did let one of my law school friends move in while she was unemployed, and it was okay. I'm still conflicted about doing this at all, but I'm not really sure that we have a financial choice.

We just found out this week that my husband's pay will be cut by 1.9%...as if teachers make too much to begin with. On the other hand, maybe this will push us below the line enough to qualify for food stamps. *sigh*

Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 PM

When you apply for food stamps you should look into other assistance too. I was surprised by the income limits that you can still get on TANF here in WA. I have *heard* that you can get cash assistance if you can prove to DSHS that your income is less than your expenses, like a notice from the bank mortgage is past due or shut off notices from utility companies. That might be enough of a difference so you don't need to rent a room.

I am in your area and in the past I have looked for rooms to rent with my daughter (before ds was around) and only searched for ads that had the keywords of 'mom' or 'parent' in them. Renting to a single mom with one kids around your kids age would probably be a safe bet, you might even be able to turn them on to MDC. Plus a parent would most likly be understanding of house 'hours' and what not. Good luck deciding what do do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post

zebra 15: Thanks for your insight. We have had people live, rent-free, in our room before for periods of time. One was my sister, which is a bit of a different situation. But, we did let one of my law school friends move in while she was unemployed, and it was okay. I'm still conflicted about doing this at all, but I'm not really sure that we have a financial choice.

We just found out this week that my husband's pay will be cut by 1.9%...as if teachers make too much to begin with. On the other hand, maybe this will push us below the line enough to qualify for food stamps. *sigh*

be good family...

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the advice about TANF. When I looked at it last time, we also didn't qualify but I can check again I suppose.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

Just checking in. We're doing ok, getting by with DH's overtime and the little bit I can make subbing at the school I used to teach at.

On the other hand, my mother's colon cancer has spread. We have a family reunion scheduled for this month (which we can barely afford but I'm not going to tell her no). She told my sister that she didn't really care if she lived after that, and she told my other sister she thinks she has four or five months left.

So I guess I need to save for plane fare for a funeral, and figure out how to tell my mom goodbye.

I'm so sorry, that is really hard.

Proud Mama to Abigail Noelle and Brady Phoenix (August 29, 2009) and Claire Zoe (October 26, 2010)  love.gif
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Has anyone here used either Safelink or Assurance Wireless? I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to cut my costs on phone. I don't know weather it would be better to keep the lifeline program on the house phone and just do a walmart $30 unlimited phone, or to go with safelink / assurance and just buy extra minutes.

I have got to cut down our expenses, between cell phones and home phone we're spending close to $150 a month and it's too much.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Thystle:  sorry about your layoff, that sucks.  I hope you qualify for some sort of unemployment insurance...

frugalmama:  I've been selling a lot of books too, but on Amazon.  I should check our half-price books, I wonder if the cut is any better.  

mamayogibear:  I hope your ex pays up- that is so wrong!

mamaofprincesses:  I'm sorry about your mother...that's when I feel poorest, when something really awful and unexpected happens, and there's no margin of error financially...costs can add up so quickly :(

As for me, compared to the last few months, it's looking like June and the summer in general will be better for me.  I was seriously running out of things to sell (the last thing I'd resorted to was half my cd collection, but fortunately it was stuff that was mainly my ex's and he didn't bother to take when he moved out).  Anyhow, about a month ago I came into a bit of money that an uncle of mine had left me in his will.  It's not a fortune, but it was enough to let me pay off a couple of my smaller credit card balances, plus put a dent into the biggest one, which is still over 20K, ugh.  This now means that not only do I don't have to do the credit card shuffle anymore, but I can start paying off more than the minimum on the one that IS left.  

The other really great thing is that it looks like, after a year and a half of negotiations, my separation agreement is done.  Once it's signed, the amount of support I've been getting will go up.  Things are still going to be tight, but not vise-grip tight that they've been over the last year and a half.  

Unfortunately I don't have much happening on the job front.  I am getting a few hours of work over the next few weeks helping out with a friend's business, but then once school is out for the summer I'm pretty limited in how much I can work for her.  In September I'm going back to school part-time to do a post-grad certificate, which should take me a year to finish.  My job prospects once I'm done are good.  I can't wait to not need spousal support from my ex.  He lords it over me every opportunity he can get, and even though I'm entitled to it in spades, I loathe the feeling of being dependant on him.  

Happy single mama of Girlchild (10) and Boychild (9).
Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Has anyone here used either Safelink or Assurance Wireless? I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to cut my costs on phone. I don't know weather it would be better to keep the lifeline program on the house phone and just do a walmart $30 unlimited phone, or to go with safelink / assurance and just buy extra minutes.

I have got to cut down our expenses, between cell phones and home phone we're spending close to $150 a month and it's too much.

We just got Safelink.  It is a Tracphone, and you have the option of three plans.  It was really easy to sign up for, since we have FS and other state aid.  They didn't require any documentation from us, so they must have alternate means of proof.  We only have it because Dh is a route driver and so it's our only means of communication during the day.  We're not really cell phone/texting kind of people, so it works for us.  I will take it with me on days that I need to go to town to shop, so I have it in case of emergency.  As for house phone, we have bare bones on that, too, and only spend $17-18 a month.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM

I found a way to frugally phone. My mom, sister and I have a family phone plan that we got when my sister and I were in high school so it costs my mom only $40 a month. We only have 200 minuets to share but we added our google voice numbers to our 'in' list. So when we call out through our google voice number or get a call in to our google voice number it doesn't use any of the minuets. I make about 800 minuets worth of phone calls a month, mostly on hold with companies,  and only pay $10 to my mom for being in her family plan. I think this works with any family plan but I'm not sure if you can get any for cheap now a days...

be good family...

Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 AM

We screwed our tight budget with unexpected expense (had to put our dog down), and then the $50 in spending afterward meant to cheer the kids up. And having to defer from our WIC milk because the baby's diaper rash was not from teething. And we only found out after a sippy cup of milk left her with 11 bleeding blisters on her bottom. :( Yay allergies! The rash is almost gone, just light red dots now, and we're going to have the Dr write a note for goat's milk for WIC.

DH and I went and FINALLY turned in our application for medicaid/fs. We had the paystubs and all with us, so now just waiting for cards, though she couldn't tell us how much we'd be getting in fs. Anything will help, though, so we'll take whatever!

I had to stop my hyperemesis medicine because it was contributing to my anxiety. The Dr wrote me a new prescription for both anti-nausea AND anti-anxiety meds. I have to wait for the medicaid card to come since they're $73! But just being off the nausea meds has helped greatly. And as I'm getting closer to 20 weeks it's moving from vomiting to just nausea, which I can deal with more easily.

We have paid MIL back almost all of what we owe her, and are beginning to put aside for paying the 4 mortgage payments we'll owe once July 1st runs around. We should be able to make a payment by the end of this month, and 3 in July. If we can stick to our budget, that is. And DH is picking up extra shifts as he can, which is helping us pay back the advance we had to take last month. It's due by the 27th, but I don't think ALL of it will get paid by then. :/ I hate that we've had some hiccups, since we're so close to being "ok". And we're worried about possible evacuation from local flooding, though that could still be weeks away.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hubby got his job back with a lovely shake.gif  pay cut and we are having to move again. The two sets of bills and two rents were pretty stressfull to say the least!

goodvibes.gif Good luck vibes to you all!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Nice to come here and feel support from other mama's dealing with the same challenges. I am currently in grad school and my dh is working full-time as a barista and finishing his undergraduate degree after being laid off from a managerial position in January. I struggle with feeling demoralized by things like using WIC checks at the grocery store while the person behind me sighs impatiently and the SNAP card. I am appreciative of these programs, including Mass Health and Fuel Assistance and support their existence but have a hard time to feeling a little bit of shame. I grew up in a higher income bracket and my older sibling is a professional in NYC and dh's family is quite well off so sometimes those economic differences within a family feel funny. Anyway, that's all-just trying to resist old spending habits and really trying to be frugal and remind myself that once I am done with school hopefully I will find a good job and dh will too.

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hello.  I haven't posted in quite a while, but I'm back now.  I'm a sahm to a two and a half year old daughter and a six month old son.  Hubby has been plucking away at the same job for about two years now, without raises and with them cutting more and more corners to up their profit margins.  Usually we eek by okay, with the help of snap, wic, and medicaid for our kiddoes.  But now our car is on the fritz again and that makes things harder.  Thankfully the hubby has been doing rides to and from work anyway and we can borrow a car from my parents on the weekends for trips to town.  However we cannot take the borrowed car very far because it has bad tires and we live in a rural area.  I'll have to get more creative with my grocery shopping for a while since we used to take monthly trips an hour away for costco.  And we won't have very much disposable income at all until the car issue is resolved one way or another-we're having a friend tow it to town for us this Saturday to get an estimate. 

Luckily we have what we need and friends and family to lend a hand when they can.  My kids have clothes in sizes ahead, and I have some credits to different groupon type places to save up for birthdays and Christmas gifts.  We were trying to fix up our apartment a bit (it's been a slow progress since April of this year) but I don't know how much we'll be able to put into things now.  This place has always sort of been a mixed blessing-it's close to family and in a good area, but it's falling apart slowly but surely.  I'm going to get back on the diy wagon and maybe we'll be able to afford just a little at at time once our budget is worked out. 

Old 06-22-2011, 03:13 PM

whalemama I know exactly what you mean about being appreciated but somewhat imbarrassed when using WIC etc... Nothing like a cashier that acts like they have never had a WIC voucher before while the line builds behind you. I always feel my face grow hot as I blush.

DH may have a chance to go back to his old job but I am feeling very conflicted about it. We REALLY need him to but he will have to give up his real estate business and he feels very defeated doing this. If he doesn't take this job I really don't know how we will survive but I also feel guilty saying much about it because I could/should go get a job too. Positive thoughts that we work it out 1 way or another would really be appreciated!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 AM

Tomorrow I'm counting coins.  I've gone hard core about not spending money and I have a small jar of coins that I need to count.

In equally depressing news my mother is coming to visit the end of July for 10 days or so.  That just makes me crazy.

I'm still deciding if I want to go back to school in the fall- some type of Masters program.  Probably masters of counseling at Ottawa unless I add classes to my MBA.  But honestly that dang MBA has not been helpful in the past 12 yrs, I can't see more classes added on being helpful.

Maybe I've hit summer depression, like people who live where it snows get winter depression?  Its just so dang hot here I feel trapped inside.

User Tag List