Rent Free living with a catch....would you do this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

AHA depression. i am familiar with that. 

all that work will definitely be therapy for you. having to take care of one more person that is your job will be good for your mental health. 

and having had my then 4-5 year old take care of dying gpa and gma and seeing the impact it left on her life i would encourage any child to get into helping with elderly people. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#32 of 34 Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, that sounds like my dream job, but then again I am a nurse's aide, unemployed right now but it is really rewarding work. The first few times you provide total care it might be a little uncomfortable but it gets easier. The most difficult thing however is using proper body mechanics when you transfer someone from bed to chair, if the gentleman is large make sure to have someone else there so you do not hurt yourself.  Perhaps you could read a book or two on care for assisted living or long term care and decide if it's something you want to do. Or spend a day or two with the aide observing and asking questions so you will know how to do what you need to do if the need arises. Best of luck to you!

ETA: I didn't know you were expecting when I wrote that. I don't think it would be a good idea to do this type of work until at least a month pp. If your DH would be willing to take over for that period of time then go for it!

be good family...

#33 of 34 Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

honestly it sounds like a lot of work for very little pay.  If you have to buy cooking/heating fuel that can be really really expensive.  Also extra gas money and you mentioned internet was considerably more and you are going to want that if you are house bound.

And yes you have cared for your grandma but you did not do it with two babies under foot.  

What kind of overnight care does he require?  Are you going to be up during the night as a rule?

If you are working 4 until 7 every day plus all day Sunday that is 15 hours a day for six days and 24 for one. That is 0ver 100  hours a week.  even if your rent equivelent is $250 a week that is only about $2.50 an hour.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#34 of 34 Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good luck with your decision -

You have lots of good advice in both directions, so I'll just add my thoughts.

You are telling yourself to look at it as a job - cleaning, cooking, etc. But it's not, not really. It's your home - and you will be on call 24 hours a day. What happens when you are sick and you just feed your kids hotdogs and canned peas (or whatever other crappy meal you can throw together while you throw up?!)?  You HAVE to get him something. And dealing with respite (while wonderful!) is not easy - you have to schedule in advance - what happens when you tell your husband to plan respite and it slips his mind (or yours) and suddenly you HAVE to go to something (school, get together, dance class - whatever).

And what happens to vacation? It's having to arrange a baby sitter for a grown person! It's hard. Taking care of our elders is an amazing thing, but it is hard for one person to do. As you say you deal with depression (I do also, to a very low extent - mainly just a lot of stress - and that's hard enough as it is) I would be thinking about the times when I'm unable to move after work or too tired to even do anything.

On the flip side - You can always batch cook ahead so you can have meals in the freezer to pull out (even in his freezer with paper taped to them with microwave instructions) so you don't HAVE to cook (this is what I do during the school year).

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page