Grrrrr... cell phone charges - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apparently my cell phone company charges for ALL text messages sent/received, even if you don't have a text plan, even if you don't open the texts!!!!! I thought I was 'saving money' by ignoring all incoming texts (and not sending outgoing texts) but apparently they've been charging me all along and this was the first month people texted me enough that I noticed the bill. So now are we also going to be charged for not answering incoming phone calls? And not opening email spam? Or getting junk mail??? irked.gif

This is so dumb to be mad about because it only cost me a couple of dollars but on principle I just find it incredibly irritating. Who knew you could be charged for spam? (Or just random friends who didn't know I don't text!) *sigh*

I did get them to turn off any texting ability and supposedly I won't get any texting-related charges now. Who knows though -- I couldn't understand a thing the customer service lady said.

But just thought I'd share in case anyone else was operating with the same misinformation I was...

ETA: Does anyone know if the sender will know that I have texts blocked?? Because I used to scan the numbers to make sure there was nothing super important that I should open & read...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM

I think it's standard to charge for incoming and outgoing texts. Bummer to get caught unaware though. I get unlimited texting for $5-10 a month with my plan, there are other limited plans if you want to be able to receive a few messages without paying per message.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's the thing, I didn't want to receive messages and I had no idea random people or random companies sending me texts would cost ME money! AFAIK, when I signed up for this plan (granted, that was many years ago!) if you didn't open a text, you weren't charged for it. greensad.gif Oh well. I shouldn't receive texts anymore. What I really want to do is find a cheaper cell plan anyway, but apparently they don't exist!!! Even pay-as-you-go would cost me more than this plan, which I feel is expensive, but maybe I'm just THAT far out of the loop on what things should cost! lol.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 PM

not sure what area you're in but here in San Francisco area there is a company that gives you unlimited calls/texts/web for $35 a mo. I think they are in most major cities. Not sure what you pay but that's the best I've found.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have t-mobile pre-paid. I get 1500 minutes/texts plus 30 mg data for $30 a month. If I go over the amount I just renew early. For unlimited talk and text it's $50 month, but I don't use much over the 1500 so that would be a waste of money for me. I had to buy my own phone (I upgraded to an LG optimus.) I can't buy insurance. I set it up so once a month the fee is taken out of my checking account, though you could pay online or via cards instead. 

I do have more dropped calls and the coverage isn't as good as when I was with AT&T, but for the money I'm saving I deal with it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

To answer your question, NO the person who texted you will not know if you received the text or not.

I have a pay as you go type thing. Its 60-65$ a month and its unlimited talk, text, web (i never use the web unless I'm really bored and forget my Nook for swim club)   I don't have a house phone and honestly since I've gotten the unlimited text, I find myself doing that much more than calling.

I need to find something for DS in the way of a 'phone'.  He will most likely use all of 60 mins a month max so.. I'm back phone shopping for him.  Ugh.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm on AT&T with no texting plan. When I get spam texts, I forward them to "SPAM" which alerts AT&T to the problem. I have also called to get the cost removed from my bill--can't remember if they do that automatically when you report a message as spam or not. And reply "STOP" to unsolicited texts: that's supposed to prevent future texts from that number.

I like to have the ability to text in certain situations, so I don't want to turn off the service altogether.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Colour me blown away that y'all get charged for txt's you recieve???  Here we only pay for those we SEND, and calls that we recieve don't get charged to us either... they are charged to the person that placed the call.  So, in the US, two people are billed for the very same call/time??  headscratch.gif    I could get a thousand txts and it wouldn't affect my bill... of course, I could send 1000 and it wouldn't either ;)  I went with unlimited txt. 

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Colour me blown away that y'all get charged for txt's you recieve???  Here we only pay for those we SEND, and calls that we recieve don't get charged to us either... they are charged to the person that placed the call.  So, in the US, two people are billed for the very same call/time??  headscratch.gif    I could get a thousand txts and it wouldn't affect my bill... of course, I could send 1000 and it wouldn't either ;)  I went with unlimited txt. 

Oh yeah, isn't that wonderful? I used to relocate foreign workers, and they were always disgusted by this phenomenon. 

Mommy to kids

Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM

I think it makes sense though. You're using the network regardless of whether you're sending or receiving calls and texts.

To the OP, I think that's pretty much standard for most companies. Although, like you found, its pretty easy to call the company and have your texting turned off completely to avoid additional charges.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List