Inexpensive vs Expensive Car Seat and Budget - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 13 month old who is currently using a First Years True Fit Elite car seat. I bought it because it seemed well-padded, all lined with safety foam, and has an anti-rebound bar. We are expecting a second baby and are on a tight budget these days. Our health insurance company provided a free Evenflo Titan 5 carseat. It seems fairly bare-bones-only foam in the head area, skimpy padding, no anti-rebound bar etc. I know that all car seats pass the same basic safety tests and who knows how much the side-impact claims are marketing or based in reality. So-I am struggling with whether to try to come up with the funds to buy another True Fit car seat or "downgrade" my daughter to the Evenflo carseat once the baby comes along. I guess the worst case scenario that came to mind was an accident in which the True Fit provided better protection and the other kid was not as safe. Phew-sorry for the long-winded scenario. Thoughts about balance between safety and frugality/living on a budget? Did you prioritize a bells and whistles car seat even while on a limited income or felt comfortable with a basic model?

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

#2 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I never had a car set with all the bells and whistles.11 years ago when I got ds his car seat half the stuff today didn't exist. I'd say if you qualify for a FREE car seat take it.  I always felt safe with my sons seat.  Honestly I think car seats/baby stuff are like technology, the 'best' today is going to be outdated tomorrow by something else.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've never felt comfortable buying used car seats but I've never felt a need to buy a new one that is "top of the line" either.

We have an Evenflo and a Graco, both of which were under $80 at full price. I feel they are safe and have been happy with them. I'd take the free one and not worry about it too much. 

mama to three little ladies
#4 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the perspectives-I tried hard to approach baby gear from a perspective of utility, safety, and durability and ignore all of the marketing and conspicuous consumption/status with it. A car seat was the one place where I was afraid less expensive=less safe (I am paranoid about car accidents)

#5 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Instinct tells me that having it properly installed is the #1 priority, even if that means having it inspected.  After that, as long as the child is reasonable comfortable in it, I think you are good to go.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#6 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 AM

As long as it fits your child, your car and is installed correctly and used properly every time, the seat will be safe. If you are planning on using this seat with a newborn, I would just check in the Family Safety section to see if it fits newborns well or not (I can't remember). I have the TrueFit w/rebound bar for my DS2, and I know that they fit newborns really well.

HTH :)

Wendy: wife to DH and mama to DS1 01/09 and DS2 08/10
#7 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM

A Titan is a fine seat and fits newborns well.  The TrueFit fits newborns okay, but the shoulder straps are sometimes too wide for a brand new baby.  I think I'd rather see the baby in the Titan.

We give Titans at our car seat clinics.  I feel fine about sending kids away in them.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#8 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

My main concern safety wise was that the True Fit had EPP foam throughout the whole thing and the anti-rebound bar while the Titan only has foam in the head area and less padding. But, thank you for the feedback that if properly installed the Titan should be as good. Crazy that the carseat manufacturers like Britax can charge a fortune if the features they add don't add much safety wise. Good to remember that sticking within our financial means will be the best move long-term

#9 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When I was looking at carseats, I asked the salesman, "Is there really that much difference between the least expensive and the most expensive carseats?"

He said, "In an accident are you going to wish you had the one that was just a little bit better?"

He certainly knew how to get me to buy the more expensive.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#10 of 16 Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM

But more expensive doesn't mean better or more safe.

#11 of 16 Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

I agree there are still good carseats that are less expensive....as long as they are fitting snugly and installed in safest way possible.  The head is the most important part to protect - most new seats I've seen have styrofoam or something similar (instead of just straight hard plastic) behind the head.  I'm not so worried about padding in other body parts (except under the bum b/c it's a PITA having an uncomfortable kids...but by no means a safety requirement!  Why I liked the Britax marathon).   

That said, I'm trying to live frugally and got sucked into getting a more expensive carseat (sunshine kids) so I could keep dd#1 who is forward facing in the middle back seat, and have the rear-facing infant (due this fall) sideboard (instead of both of them sideboard). 

I'd consider where the seat fits and how it fits and be sure the try out the Evenflo in the car. 

Or....how about taking the free seat...selling it...and then buying the one you like with the difference??????? 

#12 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

But more expensive doesn't mean better or more safe.

agrees 100 percent

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#13 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 AM

I have a Cosco Scenera, yes the $40 seat.  No bells, no whistles, but it's in there like a rock and it's pretty easy to adjust the straps.  In the end, after 2 kids this is what is most important to me.  Not technical aspects that may or may not make a difference in performance.

#14 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Any carseat that is installed and used properly is a safe carseat.   I have always felt that basic models were perfectly safe.  Add in a safe driver behind the wheel and I think you have the best possible combination.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#15 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Good to hear these perspectives-the general consensus I am hearing is that features like extra EPS foam and an anti-rebound bar aren't really proven to be safer and that the only features a more expensive carseat will get you is possibly more padding/easier straps. I guess I found with some other children's products the cheapest items usually didn't last as long/were flimsier but it sounds like car seats are  abit more standardized.So basically the expensive car seat manufacturers have pushed their seats as safer and added $200 to the cost! Tha tbeing said, side-by-side the True Fit is a more comfortable seat with nice features like no re-thread harness. But, the Evenflo Titan seat is free so that will probably be what I go with.

#16 of 16 Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM

Well, mostly.

The Titan rear-faces to 35# and forward-faces to 40#, and will likely be outgrown forward-facing by height well before 40#.  Most of the "expensive" seats have higher capacity both rear- and forward-facing.  So while you *are* paying for plushness and features, you're also paying for a seat that will last considerably longer.  That may make the higher price worth it to some parents.  But it certainly doesn't make the Titan (or Tribute, or Scenera, or Avenue, or other budget seat) any less SAFE to use as long as it fits -- it just means that you'll need to plan for another seat down the road.  (However, by the time your baby outgrows the Titan, your older child will probably be ready for a booster, and you can just move baby into the TrueFit.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page