anyone elses hubby jobless and you are too? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my husband was laid off back in april and i am a sahm. with this economy we are barely making it . how does everyone deal with it.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#2 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 AM

I have found watching another person's child in addition to my own has been a helpful source of income and been a playdate for my daughter!

Mama to L 5.12.10 ...Expecting another 1/1/12!

#3 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

I am so sorry you guys are going through this too.  

I am also watching another child FT in our home but that ends this Friday :(.  Her mom is in the school system & has summer's off. 

My DH was laid off 2 years ago.  We had unemployment for a little while but then he took a gamble on another position in a new company & we gave up all chances for assistance.  It didn't work out so we got stuck back with him unemployed, but no assistance.  Sometimes I wish we had just stayed with the unemployment-he was getting the max since he had been with the company for 15 years before they went under.  Right now I know people who have been collecting for the 18 mos & still got extensions.  Someone I know is going back to school for a career change & unemployment is paying for it. 

My DH has been doing some consulting here & there.  I am looking to set up more daycare in house & I set up an account on care.com for child care, housekeeping, special needs care & tutoring. 

We have both been actively searching for jobs in our fields.  (both college grads-he is business/sales/marketing major & i am criminal justice but worked for merrill lynch for 12 years) It is not pretty out there.  If I had known a year after I decided not to go back & stay home with our 1st baby that this would have happened, I would never have left my great job but I will never get back this amazing time I have had being home with our girls so I guess I think everything happens for a reason??? 

Our plan is whoever gets FT work with benefits 1st, goes back & the other stays home with the kids & works PT.  We will have family around us shortly for free daycare for our own kids too which will help us be more flexible with opportunities that come up. 

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 AM

ellairesmom- my dh was laid off in July of 2009 and then again in August of 2010. both times he was asked to submit the names of companies he had worked for for the last 2 years. His income and longevity from both places counted. Also, he has been subbing this past year (he is a certified teacher as well). When the school system went on vacation, he was still able to collect unemployment from the previous employer even though technically he is still "employed" by the school system (on their sub list). Also, even when subbing, if he doesn't get called, he can collect unemployment. He files every week and just puts how much he worked and what he made- it is considered part time and temporary. It helped stretch out the initial six months of unemployment he recieved. Your dh should look into it again- he may still be eligible. It's not just about how long you worked for one company, but how long you worked total- 15 years with one place should qualify. My dh was with one place 12 years, took a gamble and left that place after a year and then was hired somewhere and laid off 9 months later due to the BP oil spill. He was still able to collect UI.

#5 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM

thx!!!! we are going to look into that ASAP!!!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#6 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Dh left his job (to go to school) in August of 2009, and I am and have been a sahm.  We did have rental income, though that was pitiful, and did some serious cost-cutting moves, but it's still been hard.  Most of our savings are gone, and now that he's done with school it's been a miserable 4 months looking for work. :(

I am grateful for our savings and our small income, as that's allowed us to eat and me to sah still, but it hasn't been easy.

Hoping this situation will change soon.  Dh has two very good prospects to interview for today..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page