Ugh-- hard month! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I finally got a job!!! It's a nursing job for a home health company. I'm signing papers tomorrow but it may take a couple of weeks to get an assignment. In the meantime I just signed up the kids for childcare for July. Since it's a four week camp I have to pay for the whole month-- it's the only place that has room for them. It's $1000. Yikes. And I won't get any pay until end of July probably. We can manage it but just barely. Will have to use CC for all expenses to have the cash for the camp. I hate getting that CC out again even though this is temporary and they will be in school again soon, and I will be getting steady pay.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That is a tough situation! 

Are you set on camps? If it makes you uncomfortable financially, you could look into getting a sitter to come to your house, I wouldn't think it would be any more than $50/day. Just throwing that out there...you obviously have to do what's best for you and your kids.

....and, I just did the math....

At least you have stability on the horizon and it's one of those things you have to do that will pay off down the line!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 7 Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

You'd never get a sitter for $50 a day around here. Not at the usual rates of at least $10 an hour (and usually a lot more.)

#4 of 7 Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM

I pay $9-10/hour for an older teenage babysitter here, but have a friend who uses an in-home daycare for $30/day, but that's for one child.

Camp might be the best option, but I agree it's worth looking more into.  Have you checked the childcare section on Craigslist?  You might be able to find a teacher or college student who is off for the summer and looking for some extra money, or a SAHM looking for a babysitting job.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 7 Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

If you've told the kids they are going to camp, I would do whatever it took to pay for it. I'm still waiting for my tax refund to finally arrive but my kids are looking forward to camp, so I'm making it work.

#6 of 7 Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When will you need childcare to start? I would put off mon paying for childcare until I needed it, if at all possible.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#7 of 7 Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 AM

I would put it off too. It is a lot of money and I would explore any other option first. Home childcare, swapping care or something less expensive for the days when you need it.  It may take longer to get paid than you think and things will be really tight for you. I would only spend on absolute essentials until then. Just my opinion.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page