Getting out of debt in JULY!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, how is it possible that this month is already half over?!

DH's paycheck is a little bit bigger than we expected it to be, and I didn't have taxes withheld from this UI payment, so it's about $50 more than usual too. We plan to pay off the $800+ that is still @ 21.99% (It KILLS ME just to [i]write[/i] that!) Once that's gone we're left with

$2,091 @ 6.99% (which will be the next thing we aggressively tackle),

$700 @ 0% til April 2012, and

$1525 @ 0% til April 2013

I think the plan is to continue paying as much as possible per month (hopefully around $600 or more) till the big debt is gone. Then we're going to drop down to just about $150/month to ride out the 0% promo rates until they expire, at which point we should be out of debt entirely. It's kinda a bummer that we'll now be in debt til 2013, but we'd be dumb to pay it of earlier when it's at 0% There is a possibility that we'll be moving across country around this time next year in order to be closer to family (and to get the heck out of Los Angeles!) so we might have to ramp up the savings instead of going gazelle on the debt. I just try to keep reminding myself that it won't be collecting interest.

Also, Good News--I got a job as a Teacher's Assistant at a local elementary school. It's only part time and I won't make enough to increase our income, but I'll be able to keep getting Unemployment on top of my part-time pay, so that is great. And it will be valuable for me to get into the classroom to see if that is the right environment for me before I shell out cash for a teaching certificate. So July has been a good month for us!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#32 of 44 Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

We squeaked into Friday's paycheck with about $2.00 to spare.  Absolutely shameful when we had at least $1800 left over after bills.  I can't even remember now what "came up", but I did write down everything.

I have two more bills to pay before we are current and I am going to start on a 0 budget today.  Our biggest problem seems to be having not assigned all of our  money to a particular job.  It seems like we have so much extra and then, poof!, it's gone.  We had another unexpected bill on Friday.  Apparently, the hail storm from a couple of weeks ago caused roof damage.  Fortunately, we have a friend who does this kind of work and has done work on our sky light as well.  It only ran us $210.

Today, I was opening mail and found a check from our health insurance company reimbursing us for a counseling session we had paid in full although we had met our deductible ($123 woo hoo!).  I am expecting to get another $408 back for out of pocket payments we made for covered services.  On the down side, I now have to deal with Wal-Mart because they filled my husband's prescription with capsules which our insurance does not cover - and did so with advising us that our insurance does cover the medication if filled in caplets.  The cost was $312, so, we will definitely try to get our money back.

It actually felt good on Friday to pay the bills that aren't paid automatically!  I scheduled payments for the water and electric bills, paid the small balance on one credit card and scheduled a payment on another.  Just sent AmEx their money.  Now to sit down and budget the rest and go over it with dh.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#33 of 44 Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Well, July is panning out about how I thought it would.  We have been able to live cheap (love easy Summer activities) and pay down the cc.  On the other hand, dh has had a lot of work related travel that we have had to pay out of pocket.  We expected the work expenses, so it is not a shock.  He was able to do it for less than we had budgeted, so kudos to him.  

We get paid Friday and I will be able to pay of CC1.   CC2 is going to take some time.  I won't be able to make a hefty payment on it until September.  Until then, I can only send in little payments.  We get some extra cash in the Fall and I can have it paid off by Thanksgiving, a reasonable goal, but it seems really far away right now.  For the time being, we just have to live tight and keep focused on the long term goal of being debt free again.  

CC1 -- 201.15

CC2 -- 2926.01

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#34 of 44 Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 AM

Yeah!!!!!   Medical reimbursement finally came after many months of fighting with the insurance company.  Sent the whole check to the cc this morning.  

CC1 -- 201.15

CC2 -- 2326.01

#35 of 44 Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM

I finally had some luck selling the cloth diapers on CL. I also listed a stroller, a picnic table, and a few other things. In total I made $120 towards the BEF. Woooooh!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#36 of 44 Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

We just got home from vacation last night. I was nervous to check our accounts this morning, but was pleasantly surprised. We went about $30 over budget, but we also ended up paying for a suit rental ($130) that we weren't planning on, plus ate out, and picked up random groceries when the house we were sharing needed them.

I still hope to pay my dad back for the car rental (though I asked him not to get one for us, since I get a discount with the company he used and we were going to try to be choosy on our days instead of getting one for the whole week)....considering the man flew us out there and rented a house for families to share, I figure I can't be too picky.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#37 of 44 Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM

We got a $150 raise when we paid off our student loans back in March, but I'm always looking for ways to save more money.  Here's what I've come up with so far:

1) I called Charter and they cut our cable down by $20/month.  Who knew they would comply when I asked?  Wow. 

2) I don't know why we've never done this, but we're going to pay our auto insurance every six months vs. every month like we do now.  That's saving us $10/month!

3)  We are hoping to pay off our PMI as soon as our 3 - 6 months is saved up.  This will save us $50/month. 

I guess these savings aren't incredible by themselves, but combined that is $80/month, or almost $1000/year. 

Anyone else have other simple ways to tweak budget?

#38 of 44 Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM

We also recently called the cable company and told them we were thinking of downgrading service due to my recent unemployment, and they cut the bill by $30/month without changing our service at all!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#39 of 44 Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 AM

Just got home after moving internationally.  We did really well on the trip, though it was still expensive.  We paid quite a bit in taxis, but ate very little except for our packed sandwiches and airplane food.  

Balanced the books this morning, our money is in decent shape and we are under budget on a few things.  Need to shop a bit today -- tp, shampoo, that sort of stuff.  I can't wait to get back to my frugal lifestyle.  Travel is expensive!  

My big savings this morning was renting my textbooks for this upcoming semester.  I was able to rent 4 books for a little more than it would have cost to buy just one.  So, that was a good savings.  I am going to go through our pantry goods and see what is left and what we can eat for the next few days.  I did see a bit of risotto rice, so that will probably be dinner with whatever I can glean from the garden.  It has been so hot and the people who rented our house planted a few things, but most of it is fairly gone.  I'll see what I can find and what seeds I have left.  Would be nice to have some fresh greens this fall.  

And the best news -- we have not put any money on the credit cards!  Whittling the balance down.  

#40 of 44 Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Just got home after moving internationally.  We did really well on the trip, though it was still expensive.  We paid quite a bit in taxis, but ate very little except for our packed sandwiches and airplane food.  

Balanced the books this morning, our money is in decent shape and we are under budget on a few things.  Need to shop a bit today -- tp, shampoo, that sort of stuff.  I can't wait to get back to my frugal lifestyle.  Travel is expensive!  

My big savings this morning was renting my textbooks for this upcoming semester.  I was able to rent 4 books for a little more than it would have cost to buy just one.  So, that was a good savings.  I am going to go through our pantry goods and see what is left and what we can eat for the next few days.  I did see a bit of risotto rice, so that will probably be dinner with whatever I can glean from the garden.  It has been so hot and the people who rented our house planted a few things, but most of it is fairly gone.  I'll see what I can find and what seeds I have left.  Would be nice to have some fresh greens this fall.  

And the best news -- we have not put any money on the credit cards!  Whittling the balance down.  

AMAZING- you sound ...I was going to say "energetic" but maybe "fulfilled" or "zealous" would be better suited and optimistic- I like it!!

I was thinking today about fulfillment and remembered the "Fulfillment Curve" in the Complete Tightwad Gazette and thought I'd share. I feel like we have a great balance these days....sometimes we let the "I wants" get the better of us, but generally speaking the lifestyle changes we've made have put us pretty darn near the top of that fulfilment curve, I think. This specific image deals with the Christmas consumption issue, but the idea behind it applies all year round.

DSCN6883.JPG

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#41 of 44 Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Oh...I'm not working this summer. We've been saving for this, but now DH and I are having second thoughts about where to get the money from (that was saved for this shortfall). DH wants to take it from our RRSP (I'll get a pension, so we're going to be taxed out the wazoo on the money we remove when we remove it either way, I think). I think I get his thinking, but I don't know enough about it to feel 100% confident in that decision. We also have funds in a TFSA (we're in Canada) which were originally going to be used for this shortfall.

Any Canadians who are more investment savvy than me care to chime in??

#42 of 44 Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM
PPK

Hi,

I don't think I've probably been here for a year or so, I really need and want to buckle down again on expenses, etc.  

I WAS at bs #3 for a little while, but then bought a new car, a house, and slowly started using credit cards (now have balances of 1800, 800, 750. 

DS started daycare a few months back, so that's a big expense, and PreK this year...ata least the following he'll be starting public (we have some excellent public schools, thank god).

So, just looking for my anonymous forum friends to help me be more accountable with my spending and get rid of this debt!

Glad to be back and focusing againthumb.gif

#43 of 44 Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Do we have an August thread yet?  I didn't see one when I looked, but maybe I missed it?

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#44 of 44 Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Do we have an August thread yet?  I didn't see one when I looked, but maybe I missed it?

HOLY MOLY, it's AUGUST!!!....I'm not sure exactly where July went...

Coming right up!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page