I got a free stock share, is this going to cost me anything?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know NOTHING about how stocks work and recently I got a check (for a few cents lol) for my 'quarterly dividends' for a stock share I received a few months ago. It's company stock that was awarded to me for working there so many years. So I'm wondering, if the stock goes down or whatever, am I going to get a bill instead of a check??? I just want to understand how this works and what to expect...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM

You won't pay on losses.  Your stock just won't be worth as much.  You will get a form at tax-time to file income tax for the dividends, which will count as earned income, on which you'll pay taxes each year.  If you cash out the stock and it's worth more than it was when you got it (this is call cost basis), you will pay capital gains taxes on the increased value.  If it's worth less than its cost basis when you cash it in, this will be a capital loss and this will be a deduction on your income taxes.  HTH!

#3 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes very helpful!! Thank you smile.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page