What are your latest frugal doings???? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's what I've been doing, but need to be doing ALOT more:

~I've been making a lot of simple food with basil and farmers market veggies.

~stopped buying wine/beer to have around the house "just in case". I will limit that to picking up on special occasions.

~Went in on a pig. The initial investment was over $200 but I have enough meat to last me a looooong time. And no room in my freezer for  convenience items.

~Showering at the gym several days a week.

I already buy the vast majority of our clothes second hand, and we gave up cable and I downgraded our netflix plan. But I will be on here a lot looking for new ideas because our cash flow is low right now and I can't figure out where else to scrimp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I stopped at the local meat processor to buy a 'variety bundle' of meat.  They were out of the two pound ham that is usually included and made up for it with 6 big pork chops and a huge stack of top sirloin steaks(about 5 lbs of steak!)  The whole 'bundle' was about $50 and is easily as much meat as my family will eat in a month or more. 

Other than that- I did really well grocery shopping today- I looked in the fridge when I was putting things away and was really happy with what I saw.  Lots of good healthy food, and I'd purchased the vast majority of it on sale.  Apparently preplanning works wonders.  We are on track for a $300 grocery month. (family of 5 plus two grandparents about 3 days a week.)

I managed to head off the child asking for 'stuff' by telling her that I had one dollar for her to spend on a small treat, but that was all we had in the budget if she wanted to go to the local fair this weekend. ]

Our family is currently maintaining two separate households, so things are tight.  

I noticed a grinding noise when I was driving today and I picked up new brake parts for the van- It'll take a while to do, but I can fix that myself  and save about $100. (Thank you Dad, for not letting me get my license until I had proven I could do some common car repairs on my own.  I hated you then, but am eternally grateful now.)

User Tag List