Netflix new pricing. Blech! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I guess I'm really cheap.  The library is always free.  I may venture to redbox someday but .... hummmm right now the library is my best friend

our local libraries charge $1 for movies, but i still prefer it to redbox because you get to keep them for a week (not just one night).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#32 of 54 Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I guess I'm really cheap.  The library is always free.  I may venture to redbox someday but .... hummmm right now the library is my best friend

Our library has the worst fees.  It was easily the most expensive option for us. Not all libraries are created equal.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#33 of 54 Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

We switched to streaming only, so we're saving money. ;)  We usually only watch 1-2 of the mail movies a month anyway, so we can just pick up a Redbox if we really want a new video.  Redbox is ALL over the place here, some locations have 2 boxes at them!  So it's easy to p/u and d/o without paying the extra day charge.  

Most people I've talked to have switched down to streaming, so I'm thinking they'll lose money on this.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#34 of 54 Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I really like the idea of keeping streaming and doing Redbox. Redbox is really only $1 per movie with no other fees? Or is there a membership fee plus the $1 per movie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

yeahthat.gif  Both DH & I think this is still a heck of a deal for us as a family.  We have tons of shows in the streaming for the kiddos, and then DH & I get to order out DVD to catch up on a lot of movies we have missed since the kids arrived.

As for Redbox - while they are just $1 movies - I've heard from several folks in my office, if you are not on-time with your return, you get charged crazy fees.  And as a habitually late returner of movies, this could be terrible for my budget if it happened a couple of times in a month.

Yeah, Redbox is like $1 extra an hour or minute late (I don't use it so I'm not for sure which it is, but I heard from a friend who used it), and it starts the MINUTE you are late returning the movie. I know me, and I would end up paying like $50 for a single movie (plus we live 15 miles from the nearest one, so... yuck!).

cristina47454 , it sounds like you would love the Netflix streaming only plan. They have tons of shows and series on there. The only "negative" is that you have to watch everything a season late (something that doesn't bother me at all.) I checked the ones you mentioned on Netflix and the following are currently streaming:

Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, and The Office.

Modern Family is currently on disc only.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#35 of 54 Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM

It seems like our library movies are always scratched! Though they are free. There is a crazily long waitlist for anything popular, though. My BIL and a friend both work at the library, and I always see the new releases at their houses, which I think explains the waitlist. It has to cycle through all the library employees, first.eyesroll.gif

Mommy to kids

#36 of 54 Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Quote:

Yeah, Redbox is like $1 extra an hour or minute late (I don't use it so I'm not for sure which it is, but I heard from a friend who used it), and it starts the MINUTE you are late returning the movie. I know me, and I would end up paying like $50 for a single movie (plus we live 15 miles from the nearest one, so... yuck!).

Um, no.  Redbox is only an extra $1 for every extra day you have it.  It is NOT for an extra minute or an hour.  In my area there are Redboxes all over so it's really not hard to return it since you can return it to any Redbox location, not just the one you rented it from.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#37 of 54 Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We are going to stick with the discs through netflix and try out hulu plus for streaming. We have watched nearly everything on netflix that is streaming and are ready to try something else. We don't have cable or anything either. Oh, and library movies.... our library here does not send out late notices and charges $1/day late fee with no maximum on movies. I once paid $22 in late fees for a stupid kid movie that I didn't even know we still had in the house. I won't go there now for movies or cds.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#38 of 54 Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Getting the e-mail did make me think seriously about my plan.  I was on the 3 disc plan, and I have had Downton Abbey since FEBRUARY! waiting for the right time to watch it.  I noticed last night that it was on streaming.  I have definitely not been making the most of my plan, so I dropped to streaming only and will walk to our local video store for any can't miss movies.

#39 of 54 Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Quote:

Its a dollar a DAY.   When you check it they are very clear about when it needs to be back to avoid charges.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#40 of 54 Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM

I was really unhappy to get that email.  I'd just, JUST dropped to one at a time, starting next week, and now there goes the savings.  We have no choice because there is no video store in this town, no redbox, nothing.  There is the library, but since there is no other option, good luck getting anything there, plus you get it for one week and a dollar a day fine after that.  My kids are great about losing discs....

So, we'll stay with one at a time and streaming until we move somewhere that has another movie option, and then switch to streaming only.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#41 of 54 Old 07-15-2011, 03:48 PM

If the kids lose them, let them pay for them. winky.gif Train 'em at a young age...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#42 of 54 Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

If the kids lose them, let them pay for them. winky.gif Train 'em at a young age...

Yes DS learned young and fast about library fines.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#43 of 54 Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM

The thing is  - the streaming kind of sucks on Netflix. I would be all over $16 per month if the selection on streaming was as good for the disks. I hate dealing with the disks, and there is almost nothing I want to watch on streaming. The selection for streaming is good for the kids.

I took our cable down to bare minimum $20 per month and we have PBS kids. So, we do use Netflix streaming some...

I don't know what I am going to do. I can throw the additional $16 per month into better cable or I can do Netflix. I have a feeling Netflix will win out and I will just keep waiting for streaming to get better. As it is now I only order disks for movies I watch while i exercise and use the streaming for the kids.

#44 of 54 Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona2359 View Post

The thing is  - the streaming kind of sucks on Netflix. I would be all over $16 per month if the selection on streaming was as good for the disks. I hate dealing with the disks, and there is almost nothing I want to watch on streaming. The selection for streaming is good for the kids.

I took our cable down to bare minimum $20 per month and we have PBS kids. So, we do use Netflix streaming some...

I don't know what I am going to do. I can throw the additional $16 per month into better cable or I can do Netflix. I have a feeling Netflix will win out and I will just keep waiting for streaming to get better. As it is now I only order disks for movies I watch while i exercise and use the streaming for the kids.

We have a digital antenna and we get all of the local channels including PBS kids and qubo for free.  Would that be an option for you?

#45 of 54 Old 07-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post

We have a digital antenna and we get all of the local channels including PBS kids and qubo for free.  Would that be an option for you?

Would you please tell me more about your digital antenna? I am just beginning some research on this idea.... Thank you!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#46 of 54 Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

Would you please tell me more about your digital antenna? I am just beginning some research on this idea.... Thank you!

We got ours close to two years ago, it's an indoor RCA model that we paid around $80 for at the time but it's currently about half price on Amazon.  If you have a flat screen tv you just connect it and you don't need anything else, very simple and works great.  If you have an older analog tv you will need a converter box.  I believe these run for $30-40 depending on the store.

With the antenna, we get close to 20 channels total, all of the local channels plus some bonus ones (an Extra PBS channel and PBS Kids, and the Ion and Qubo channels).

#47 of 54 Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post

We got ours close to two years ago, it's an indoor RCA model that we paid around $80 for at the time but it's currently about half price on Amazon.  If you have a flat screen tv you just connect it and you don't need anything else, very simple and works great.  If you have an older analog tv you will need a converter box.  I believe these run for $30-40 depending on the store.

With the antenna, we get close to 20 channels total, all of the local channels plus some bonus ones (an Extra PBS channel and PBS Kids, and the Ion and Qubo channels).

Thank you!!!! love.gif

#48 of 54 Old 07-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Just as an FYI, Redbox late fees are a $1 a day, but if you keep the movie for 25 days, it's yours.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#49 of 54 Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM

I rented two movies from the redbox today. 27 minutes of preview/ nonprofit advertisements that I could not get past. "Action not allowed" when I tried to skip to the main menu. I had picked up takeout, and I wanted to eat my food while I was being entertained, not while I was crying about all of the dogs that were euthanized last year. I'll be keeping my Netflix subscription.

27 minutes!!! That was as long as 1/3 of the movie.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#50 of 54 Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I rented two movies from the redbox today. 27 minutes of preview/ nonprofit advertisements that I could not get past. "Action not allowed" when I tried to skip to the main menu. I had picked up takeout, and I wanted to eat my food while I was being entertained, not while I was crying about all of the dogs that were euthanized last year. I'll be keeping my Netflix subscription.

27 minutes!!! That was as long as 1/3 of the movie.

That sounds like torture!

#51 of 54 Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Over the last several years, I have reduced my media consumption more and more.  Really finding that I would just rather do things than watch things.  Plan on canceling the cable completely in the fall, already down to the $20 a month basic cable option.  Don't think that the streaming on Netflix is worth the money, really.  So I decided to go to the 2 disc a month plan, which is probably all I really want to watch in a month.  I also do Redbox, but I like to watch things that Redbox never has.  The nice thing about Netflix is that you can instantly change your account at any time.  I mean if you are sick at home or something, you can just turn on the streaming for a week or two.  During winter school break I usually increase to a 2 disc at a time mode so the kids can gorge themselves on movies. And you can put a hold on your account at any time as well.  Even if you stop the account completely and then go back later, it still holds your queue and you can get back to where you were instantly for streaming and in two days for discs.  I take advantage of that flexibility because I watch more movies in the winter, say, than in the summer.

#52 of 54 Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post

There is a blog that shows what shows are coming up for streaming...let me see if I can find it...

http://feedfliks.com/streaming/coming-soon 

I treat Netflix streaming like I used to treat TV. Whatever is on, that's what I watch. I like it better than satellite TV. I can watch an entire series, without commercials. I can pick what episodes I want to watch or skip. I can fast forward through boring parts.

For $8 a month (or even $15) it's still better than the $60 I used to pay for satellite, and there is significantly more that I actually want to watch on Netflix.

I totally agree. I'm not gonna cancel anytime soon.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#53 of 54 Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We're keeping it too.  However, I wish that they would allow "streaming only" people to have a box calle "send me this dvd" with a charge/dvd.  Like $2/dvd or something with no late fees.  That way, I could go just streaming and then occassionally enjoy a dvd.  If I was wanting a dvd a lot, I would get the streaming/dvd plan.  But anyways, dh likes to keep the dvd option though I don't know why. . . so we will. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#54 of 54 Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Huh.  NEver occurred to me to do that - although i guess I knew that i could.  That's actually brilliant! We don't have a tv at all, and the kids really only watch a movie a week during our family movie night, but I need to keep this flexibility in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

Over the last several years, I have reduced my media consumption more and more.  Really finding that I would just rather do things than watch things.  Plan on canceling the cable completely in the fall, already down to the $20 a month basic cable option.  Don't think that the streaming on Netflix is worth the money, really.  So I decided to go to the 2 disc a month plan, which is probably all I really want to watch in a month.  I also do Redbox, but I like to watch things that Redbox never has.  The nice thing about Netflix is that you can instantly change your account at any time.  I mean if you are sick at home or something, you can just turn on the streaming for a week or two.  During winter school break I usually increase to a 2 disc at a time mode so the kids can gorge themselves on movies. And you can put a hold on your account at any time as well.  Even if you stop the account completely and then go back later, it still holds your queue and you can get back to where you were instantly for streaming and in two days for discs.  I take advantage of that flexibility because I watch more movies in the winter, say, than in the summer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page