Is BJ's worth a trip for regular groceries if I can't afford to stock up on stuff right now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have never really shopped at BJs, but my XH got a membership for both of us before he left, and I can still use it. 

I have always thought of BJs/Costco as where you go for ridiculously huge amounts of things.

But are they good for things like produce and regular shopping trips?

Money is tight and I can't stock up this month, unfortunately, but I guess if I have a card I could go another month if things get less tight.

Edited to add that I have nothing against buying in bulk - I do it *all* the time, just not at BJs, yet.  Didn't want anyone to think my use of the word "ridiculously" mean that I thought it was crazy to buy in bulk.  Bulk is my game.  I just *wish* this month's budget could support it!  wink1.gif

- single homeschooling mom to 16, almost-15, 12, and 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We go weekly. You certainly don't have to get things in ridiculously large amounts, though of course most of the stuff they have is in multi-packs. I wouldn't go there for a head of lettuce, but I do go there for produce we go through quickly: big bags of organic carrots, fresh green beans, mushrooms, bananas, etc. Bread comes in 2-packs, so you can use one and freeze one. Soy milk comes in 2-packs and has a much later expiration date, so it's no problem using it up in time.

When they have coupons, you can use a BJ's coupon plus a manufacturer's coupon and get really good deals! smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM

I've never been to a BJs before, but I do the bulk of my regular grocery shopping at Costco.  I have no problem buying just a few things.  When it comes to produce, they do tend to have larger amounts, but those amounts are still things that we go through quickly.... 2 pounds of bananas, 3 pounds of apples, 2 heads of lettuce.... those are all things that we'd use up in a matter of days, and can buy cheaper at Costco than at a traditional grocery store.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM

I'm sure all stores are different, but in the BJ's we used to shop at, you could buy things like milk in just regular gallon containers (and it was cheaper than other grocery stores).   Things like eggs or cheese weren't in super huge containers either..maybe just 2 doz eggs at a time (instead of 1 doz) or 2 8-oz packages of cheese together.  I think things like lettuce, etc. also weren't in super huge containers, (bigger than the grocery), but not really huge.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM

You really have to count your cost. I find I can usually get better deals by watching store sales and stocking up that way or buying the store brand verse the name brand products. I used to have a membership, but for me it just wasn't worth it. Also my family seems to be of the thought, that if there is a large amount of an item in the house, they must use it all!! irked.gif

It can save money in some areas. But in other areas you may find your self spending more. JMO

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 PM

it depends on what you are buying I find the fruits and some veggies to be more expensive. so yes u def should know how much the items u are looking at are approxamately at ur reg food store.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3monkees View Post

You really have to count your cost. I find I can usually get better deals by watching store sales and stocking up that way or buying the store brand verse the name brand products. I used to have a membership, but for me it just wasn't worth it. Also my family seems to be of the thought, that if there is a large amount of an item in the house, they must use it all!! irked.gif

It can save money in some areas. But in other areas you may find your self spending more. JMO

I was all set to buy several gallons of milk from Costco when I realized that organic costco milk is a dollar more per gallon than organic milk at the grocery store! Broccoli, on the other hand, was MUCH cheaper. So I no longer shop on the assumption that Costco is cheaper. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieL View Post
I was all set to buy several gallons of milk from Costco when I realized that organic costco milk is a dollar more per gallon than organic milk at the grocery store! Broccoli, on the other hand, was MUCH cheaper. So I no longer shop on the assumption that Costco is cheaper.

Yup, this.  So you can't afford anything this month, groovy. 
Go in on a weekday during sample time with your notebook and pencil. 

Write down the items that you may want (in the future when you have more wiggle room in the budget!), have a lunch of samples, and maybe make a tentative plan of attack with the items you saw there.  And you've got four kids, so you're already used to buying in bulk and planning ahead I'm sure.  :)

Fwiw, [organic] baby carrots at less than $1/lb or the big bag of brown rice and so on is cheaper than stores in my area (including Azure Standard delivery!), so you just have to do the math.  Better to do it ahead of time than on the spot, you know?  ;)

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have fairly consistently over the years found that BJs (can't speak for Costco because there isn't one close) prices are generally better for name brand products but higher for products that I can buy the store brand in at the local grocery store.  I originally joined BJs to save $ on disposable diapers with my first (my second I used cloth), but by buying a store brand and stocking up during sales at the grocery store, it was much cheaper.  I used to use the packages as a kind of insulation near an unfinished wall, lol.  Same thing for other staples like tp, paper towels, etc.  Someone gave me a membership to BJs so I do use it occasionally.  They can have some great prices on some things, but you really do have to pay attention. 

Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3monkees View Post

This.  Having a lot of stuff stocked up in our house totally backfires for us, too.

DH is the second user on MIL's "family" membership, so we go sometimes, but the only thing we buy there regularly is fair trade coffee, 'cause the BJ's brand is a LOT cheaper than the store-brand fair-trade stuff we buy.  Otherwise, BJ's is usually the same price or more expensive than the generics at our local supermarket. 

I also use it for the occasional brand-name item that we need lots of, like a giant bottle of Dawn for stripping diapers, for example.  But mostly, I find I do better at the supermarket. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM

No one has mentioned that BJs is coming out with more and more BJ's-brand items! They're much cheaper than name brand and usually cheaper than store-brand at regular grocery stores. (If you shop at Walmart, sometimes their store brand is cheaper). But then you get the BJs coupons and it's no contest.

The bad thing about BJ's brand items is that if you just want to try something out, you have to buy a big ol' pack of it. For the most part, though, we've been really happy.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Tags
Learning Resources Buy It Right Shopping Game , Add And Your Money A Guide To Personal Finance For Adults With Attention Deficit Disorder
User Tag List