Coconut Oil on sale again at Amazon! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another huge sale on organic extra virgin coconut oil! This deal is even better than the last special they ran. Sign up for the subscribe and save to discount it ever more! joy.gif

#2 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 AM

thanks for the info!

#3 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM

I signed up for this once before and they never fulfilled my order, so buyer beware.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I got this a month ago for the same price it is now. I just haven't figured out what to use it in. I was going to make hash browns with it, then I read grapeseed oil has a significantly higher smoking point.

How do you cook with coconut oil?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM

SundayCrepes, I use coconut oil wherever I would use any oil.  When I sautee veggies, I do it in coconut oil rather than butter or olive oil.  It makes the BEST stovetop popcorn and cut up some potatoes (wedges, fries, whatever shape you desire), throw them in a covered bowl and add a couple T. of melted coconut oil and shake until all potato pieces are coated and bake at 450 until desired crispiness (super yummy).  I've found that it makes breaded foods much more golden and crisp than other oils (like making your own breaded fish or chicken nuggets).  If you make your own bread or granola or pizza crusts, use coconut oil instead of olive or veggie oils.  I usually get the refined coconut oil that is flavorless and odorless and I can use it in many more recipes.  I've heard of some replacing it in cookies and baked goods, but I haven't tried it that way yet.  I also love it instead of using lotion, I attribute it to helping with an eczema problem in both my DS and in me.

Grace and Granola likes this.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#6 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post

SundayCrepes, I use coconut oil wherever I would use any oil.  When I sautee veggies, I do it in coconut oil rather than butter or olive oil.  It makes the BEST stovetop popcorn and cut up some potatoes (wedges, fries, whatever shape you desire), throw them in a covered bowl and add a couple T. of melted coconut oil and shake until all potato pieces are coated and bake at 450 until desired crispiness (super yummy).  I've found that it makes breaded foods much more golden and crisp than other oils (like making your own breaded fish or chicken nuggets).  If you make your own bread or granola or pizza crusts, use coconut oil instead of olive or veggie oils.  I usually get the refined coconut oil that is flavorless and odorless and I can use it in many more recipes.  I've heard of some replacing it in cookies and baked goods, but I haven't tried it that way yet.  I also love it instead of using lotion, I attribute it to helping with an eczema problem in both my DS and in me.

Thanks. Have you tried it with eggs? I'd be afraid the eggs would taste weird.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 12 Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

If we could have eggs in the house, I bet it would be good (the refined, tasteless, coconut oil).  DS has an anaphylactic allergy to them, so I haven't cooked an egg in 3 1/2 years!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#8 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

I use it with eggs all the time. It doesn't change the flavor at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

#9 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Thanks. I'll try it.

#10 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone use coconut oil for their pets? I just read an article that putting some in their food is very healthy for them but I don't know of anyone who actually does it. I use it for everything but never thought of adding it to dog food!

If anyone does, can you tell me what the benefits are....improvement you noticed, etc?

Thanks!

#11 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 AM

I love to bake with coconut oil...it makes things so creamy.  I do fry potatoes in it and popcorn is good.  I do not like to fry eggs in it bc I can taste it.  I am not a fan of the taste, so I have to be careful. 

I buy 5 gallons at a time from tropical traditions.  GOod price there too!

#12 of 12 Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM

oh yay! thanks for posting !

Hip Hippie Mamatreehugger.gif to Baylin & Evangélina hbac.gif and Wife to my sexy Frenchman Clément luxlove.gif living frugally green in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Expecting our newest French Fry July 2012!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***Rainbow.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page