Getting out of debt in AUGUST!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

kitteh I love the way you took the time to say something about everyones progress. I should do that more often instead of coming here to complain about how tight things are.

AFM I may have the opportunity to get paid to be in a study. The co that made the new format for mdc is looking to watch somebody on mdc for an hour and answer some questions about the new format. Since I am local to their office I figured what the heck. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#32 of 54 Old 08-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post

Sounds like you're making great progress! It sucks when you have to shift gears a bit to build sinking funds, it almost feels like lost momentum. Only 2-3 months on BS2 sounds like a dream! We've been paying off debt for almost 2 years. 

Hahaha, yeah 2 months on BS2 would be like a dream!  No, we've been at it almost 2 years, too, but we found this forum and Dave Ramsey several months back and stopped to build the BEF, so we only have 2 mo left on the remaining debt.

WTG on your progress, too!  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#33 of 54 Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Hello!  I've been hors de combat for a little while, but I'm ready to jump back in.  I've been lingering on BS4 (15% toward retirement) for a few months, and the recent market is just encouraging more procrastination.  Do any of you want to give me a Dave Ramsey-esque kick in the pants? mischievous.gif   Lord knows, I could use it. Convince me to act on this!!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#34 of 54 Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Limping along here.  Our budget is set for the next few months, so not much to do but twiddle my fingers as the days go by and I keep busy while not spending any money. I got through the back-to-school shopping with limited purchases and kept to our budget.  We did spend some cash taking friends to dinner who had recently suffered a great loss. Money worth spending and we kept it cheap.  

The garden is growing!  We will have a nice Fall with fresh greens, beets, beans and lots of salads.  And all of it was done with what I had on hand.  

Spent a few dollars on new tubes for my bike.  We are going to commute the kids to school and day care on their bikes, so this was $10 worth spending as well.  Less driving is less gas $.  

So, not much to report, which is a good sign.  No crazy spending, just nice focused living and conscious spending.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#35 of 54 Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Sounds like you're holding it down well, Ruthiegirl!

I was all set to pay off the 401(k) loan, now it looks like I may only be able to pay 1/4 of what I'd planned.  It's still progress, though.  My husband is back in school and his tuition was more than I'd anticipated, $2100 instead of $1500 . . . and still he has to purchase books.  Good news is that we actually did have the money to pay it.  Kids' tuition was due on the 1st and I thought it was the 15th and I still have to get it in the mail!  Ooops.

With respect to Back to School, this is the first year it hasn't caught me off guard.  The little guy starts 2 days a week and has his rain boots, umbrella and gym shoes (thanks Zulily!), and I need to make sure his slippers fit (from  Lands End clearance sale last winter) and will have to purchase woolens.  Everything else came from Goodwill.  Even a great Hannah Anderson courderoy coat.  Yeah!!!  And the big girl is set . . . except we have to see if her school shoes fit.  They were a final sale purchase off of Zulily and she's away until Friday.

No school supplies to buy.  Just wool socks and hats to be knit up by the time the cold weather hits.

Still hoping to get $500 out on the 401(k) loan.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#36 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're finding more money here....which is good since I'm not bringing any in this summer, and won't see a paycheque again until the END of September....September's going to be interesting for us since DH is going back to school so he won't be bringing in anything then.

I'm selling my collection of children's books (well over 300 of them) today and we're going to have a yard sale this weekend to get rid of some more stuff in the house we own (vs. the tiny 1BR we live in). AND!!!!!....DS has expressed an interest in playing the violin so I put a call out looking to buy or borrow and got a response back from someone willing to just pass one on for FREE!!!!

joy.gif

...and I'm kind of writing-off "back-to-school" shopping...I got DS some indoor shoes for $3, and otherwise he has everything else he needs, really. None of it new, but but I don't think he cares and I don't think I do either...DH was in school last fall too, so although he needs books, he's pretty set too as far as supplies go. I picked up a few pieces of clothing after getting rid of a garbage bag full in hopes of having a more stream-lined wardrobe that all mixes and matches so I don't get that sinking "I have so many clothes, but nothing to wear!" feeling.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#37 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

The garden is growing!  We will have a nice Fall with fresh greens, beets, beans and lots of salads.  And all of it was done with what I had on hand.  

JEALOUS!!!....My garden is pretty much dead...corn was a dud, my pumpkin died, for some reason tomatoes aren't ripening and I have one watermelon the size of a silver dollar. I have been enjoying the herbs though. I'm a neglectful gardener...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Hello!  I've been hors de combat for a little while, but I'm ready to jump back in.  I've been lingering on BS4 (15% toward retirement) for a few months, and the recent market is just encouraging more procrastination.  Do any of you want to give me a Dave Ramsey-esque kick in the pants? mischievous.gif   Lord knows, I could use it. Convince me to act on this!!

Turquesa, that's a good predicament to have! Investing's like a roller coaster, right? -you only get hurt if you jump off half way through the ride. GET BACK OUT THERE AND FOCUS ON YOUR GOAL!!! ...but really, is there another place you'd be more comfortable putting that 15% for now if you're not liking the market? Something safer or more predictable like GICs or something to the equivalent of a Canadian Tax-Free-Savings-Account? Mattress? 

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#38 of 54 Old 08-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I haven't posted for awhile...

This month has been HORRIBLE. We have an event coming up, so there goes $900 right there. Then I paid off some bills and a couple days later, DHs car blows a tire. We got that fixed and now another tire has locked up.

The bathroom drain pipe started leaking and the lawn mower pull cord broke.

My parents took the kids for the afternoon and took one of the baby's bottles by accident. I called them to get it back and they gave me crap for not just going out and buying new bottles. I almost started crying over that. My parents haven't had money issues in decades and they don't get that you can work hard at a full time job that pays above minimum wage and still not be able to catch up easily. They live such a disposable life and it drives me nuts that they expect me to be able and willing to do the same.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#39 of 54 Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 AM

Sorry you are struggling, Wolfcat.  I hope your event is at least something that you will enjoy.  We have had a lot of frustration here too - flooded basement due to pump malfunction, unexpected bills, etc.  Seems like something is broken every other week that we have to just add to the "list" of things to fix someday (tv, grill, lawnmower, etc.) 

It's hard when people you love don't understand or remember what it's like to be working so hard towards your goals.  hug2.gifHope this week brings good things for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

I haven't posted for awhile...

This month has been HORRIBLE. We have an event coming up, so there goes $900 right there. Then I paid off some bills and a couple days later, DHs car blows a tire. We got that fixed and now another tire has locked up.

The bathroom drain pipe started leaking and the lawn mower pull cord broke.

My parents took the kids for the afternoon and took one of the baby's bottles by accident. I called them to get it back and they gave me crap for not just going out and buying new bottles. I almost started crying over that. My parents haven't had money issues in decades and they don't get that you can work hard at a full time job that pays above minimum wage and still not be able to catch up easily. They live such a disposable life and it drives me nuts that they expect me to be able and willing to do the same.

#40 of 54 Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:

That is really rough.  I have had my own run-ins with my mom and the in-laws.  They simply do not remember the years of living lean with children.  And it makes it so much harder when it feels like your family is not on your side.  

Here is to a better week.   hug.gif

#41 of 54 Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 AM

Still holding tight here.  We spent our $10/week fun budget yesterday and went to the outdoor pool.  It was fantastic.  Long, happy day of swimming and playing and the kids dropped into bed last night, tired and happy.  And today?  Not sure what we have planned.  School starts tomorrow.  We are commuting by bike these days and we need to have a trial run and practice our route and using the bike locks, etc.  I have stuff to make cookies, so we might do that so the kids have a treat in their lunch boxes tomorrow.  

Must keep these kiddos busy.  I hear of families that can frolic and play and entertain themselves.  My kids have yet to catch on to this concept.  It just breaks down into arguing and fighting.  I know it is a phase that we are in right now and it will pass, but for the time being, I am running hard to keep my middle child busy before he can tweak his sister into a brawl.  

What do you guys do to keep your kids busy without spending any money?  Especially an 8 year old boy with a LOT of energy.  

#42 of 54 Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Pay off car or build EF?

To keep it brief: We have a car loan of about 9500. I feel like I we need to have a small EF of at least 5000 even though DR says 1000. I know according to him I should pay off the car before adding to savings above 1000 but it just makes me sick to not have more. We have 0 CC debt and only other debt is the (huge) mortgage.

I should add that I recently became ill (7 mos ago) with a chronic illness and I am seeing an alternative practitioner so my insurance doesn't cover her treatment and I have lost some work because of it. I am primarily a SAHM but I also work in Theatre and usually do about 2-3 shows a year which adds about 7000 to our income.

#43 of 54 Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM

I have a larger emergency fund and like it that way.  We are a family of 5, soon to be 6, and while my dh has very steady income, we deal with my mom's declining health and all of the expenses related to that.  The emergency fund has saved us many times when she has needed expensive meds that her limited insurance would not cover.  

So, my feeling is that a larger cushion is invaluable when healthcare is at stake.  I think Ramsey agrees and refers to things like this as 'storm clouds'.  If you know there is the possibility of needing to pay for care out of pocket, it might be a good time to beef up the EF and be ready.  

#44 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM

How could my husband not know his classes start TODAY?  Because he has ADHD, that's why and only takes his meds when he's in class (per his dr's instruction he doesn't have to take them all the time, they irritate his stomach, but, I still wish he would).  Why does that matter for this forum?  Because, in addition to the funds he needed to register for classes, he's now going to need funds for books, which I wrongly though wouldn't be needed until next pay period.

Small victory is that we had to rent a car last week to make a 2 day trip and won't have to pay for it.  The total was even less than the $154 Priceline said I was going to be charged.  It was only $87 . . . and my mom offered to pay for it (since it was to pick up my daughter from her week with my mom and I always have to buy a round trip ticket for the destination from which my mom takes my daughter home and daughter doesn't use return portion of her ticket to our home). 

I hear you Deir, I prefer to have a larger cushion as well and haven't in oh, 7 years!  Looking forward to turning that around.

#45 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Well, good news now...

One of our neighbors let us borrow their lawnmower so we could get the grass cut. It looks jacked up cuz we were hurrying, but at least we won't get hit by a fine.

The mechanic (who just put new brakes on the cars) came over and looked at the tire that had locked up. He said it was his own fault cuz he hadn't tightened something up properly, so it got fixed without charge.

The money's still waaaaay too tight for happiness right now, but I think we'll be ok. Bug got his notice of school pics and I'm going to hit up my parents for it, since gramma is the one who WANTS the pics anyways.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#46 of 54 Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Hey Wolfcat.  That is good news.  And where do you live that you would be fined for having a long lawn!?!  Is that part of being in a home owners association?  

I would rack up a fine every month.  We have had a lot of rain and heat here lately and the grass grows so fast.  My neighbor is crazy about keeping up with his lawn and cuts his every 4 days when we get a lot rain.  I simply do not have the time to keep up with it.  

#47 of 54 Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM

One of my credit cards exists because a rental I had moved into was through a management co and they were going to fine me for my lawn. Since it cost me an absorbent amount of money to move in, I didn't have the cash to buy a lawnmower. Five years later I am still paying off that credit card. Obviously I charged other purchases than a lawnmower. I wouldn't have even had the card if it weren't for that.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#48 of 54 Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Hey Wolfcat.  That is good news.  And where do you live that you would be fined for having a long lawn!?!  Is that part of being in a home owners association?  

I would rack up a fine every month.  We have had a lot of rain and heat here lately and the grass grows so fast.  My neighbor is crazy about keeping up with his lawn and cuts his every 4 days when we get a lot rain.  I simply do not have the time to keep up with it.  

Homeowner's association? No. Try City Ordinance...

#49 of 54 Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Homeowner's association? No. Try City Ordinance...

Oh, that is ridiculous.  Oi!  They would be at my door every week.  

#50 of 54 Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 AM

And to check in.  We were able to scrape up a bit more cash -- dh got a small bonus, we were extremely tight with our budget, and this is the month that we have no medical deducted from our paycheck.  

And good news, we survived the hurricane with no damage.  We still do not have power at the house, but all is well.  Dh was able to borrow a generator from work, so we were able to keep our freezer of food cold which will be nice to have in the coming months.  I was worried about losing all of our frozen fruit and veggies.

The garden took a beating, so I'll see what I can make of that.  The lettuce and spinach is crushed, might pick up some seeds and see if I can quickly get the beds reseeded.  Kale and chard are super hardy and most seem to have survived.  The rest of it looks okay, just wind battered.  A couple of days of sunshine and everything should perk back up.  

Our frugal choices are paying off.  We had bought a trail-a-bike for my son and have been commuting around town by bike the past few weeks.  Good exercise and I did not need this past week's gas allowance since we have been driving so much less.  I rolled it into an additional credit card payment and hope to skip this week's fill-up as well.  That covers the cost of the bike purchase, so it paid for itself pretty fast.  

So, holding steady.  No big purchases looming.  We do have a birthday coming up, but should get through it with minimal spending -- dd is turning 10 and wants a slumber party, pizza, cake, etc. She likes homemade pizza best and we are making cupcakes.  I am brainstorming ideas for a present though.  Not sure what to do there.  

So credit cards are getting paid down.  Our new baby is due late December and my goal is to have them both paid off by then.  Earlier if possible.  

CC #1 -- 478.46

CC #2 -- 3250.87

#51 of 54 Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Can I join you ladies ? i know August is over but I need some motivation . My husbands job switched insurence and the cost went up by almost 400.00 a paycheck so we had to drop to a lower plan . Within 18 monthes of being on the lower plan we have about 15thousand dollars in medical bills . All of them call all of the time and i can not pay on them all at once . Its so fustrating :(

Then as soon as I feel like I am in controll  Hubby takes a new job , more time at home and more money but then we lost insurence for the month and of course our daughter breaks yet another bone ! And we had no income for 4 weeks either we did get it paid back to us well 3 weeks of it  but  still we had no income when regular bills were due so lots of them started charging late fees on top of our regular fees .

Then I called SSI to inform them of Hubbys new job and get told we will prob lose our SSI and medicaid we have for one og our childern cause of his knew found income . So his more money won't even cover the diffrence of losing SSI.  So we will still be back to square one and no extra money to pay off these bills .

We did Dave Ramsey 4 yrs ago and sold a timeshare , paid off two cars , 5 CC, school loan, misc bills  but Joe was in School full time getting the GI bill so we had about 800 extra  a month to put towards debt . Now there is nothing of the sort .

We have no Emergency fund but I am confussed cause the steps say get Current and then  get a ER fund  sooooo if its medical debt what do you do ?

#52 of 54 Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Can you look into Medicaid to cover what happened when you were not covered by insurance?  When we were on it, it covered several months previous.  Might be worth checking in to.  I'm sorry your in such a tight spot!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#53 of 54 Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM

Welcoming September with a whopping $1100 car repair bill.  Just when I thought I'd be paying off that 401(k) loan.  On the upside, the total is actually $1775, but we paid for (most) of the required parts last month in advance of getting it actually repaired.  Another good thing is that we have the money in take home pay since SS is no longer being deducted and I reduced my 401(k) contribution to the match amount in an effort to pay off the bills.

#54 of 54 Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Noppers cause he made to much for Medicaid . We are right on the boarder of  we make jsut enough for no help but we aren't making it . Thanks for the suggestions :)  I did babysit for 4 hours today for some gas money for my hubby .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page