tips for the weak willed backslider - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our budget is really tight. I am not doing well lately remembering that.

It all started when I began buying books for our homeschool year. For some reason I was on a spending spree! I just couldn't control it. I have homeschooled for years. I buy used books and gather supplies from various locations to save as much as possible. THIS YEAR--that all went out the window. I suddenly got it stuck in my head that I needed to just get what I wanted to make the school year fun for me too. Now I have a bit more debt and enough stuff for the next 2 school years. (really-the next TWO school years are covered)

Here is the big problem-this need to spend has started seeping out beyond school supplies (since we have all we need now)- we are eating out more and not being disciplined about other extra purchases. I spent $45 on fast food in one week. I bought 4 iced coffees in 3 days. that is really not me-usually.

I know I spend money when I am feeling bummed. It is a bad thing too-because being broke makes me feel down -so that is a vicous cycle for sure LOL! I haven't felt especially down lately though. More than anything I have been tired-and the easiest thing is usually the more expensive option. UGH!

I think right now I just need some tips or motivation tricks to help me get refocused-survey the damage of my little manic spending episode over the past few months-and move ahead.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#2 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I consider myself fairly frugal, but this happens to me sometimes. I call it getting the "i wants". For example, I started sewing a bit more this year, and truly did need to buy a few things. But with all the looking at things, going into shops, researching items online, I started to buy more and more. What I do is just STOP buying things cold turkey, and (the key) also stop going online or in the stores to look for stuff. I'll even tell my husband-- hey I have the "I wants", so I'm not going to buy this or that. I think it's natural to get in a cycle of acquiring, especially since when you go to buy, you are bombarded with more marketing telling you you *need this*.

Another trick is just to make a list of things you want-- and tell yourself you'll get it next month (or, for me, I have a list of thing I'm gonna buy when I start working). When you actually get to that point in time, you'll be suprised at how you don't really need it after all.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think we all fall into that funk sometimes. It helps to remember is that's a the norm that most people live their lives in without thinking twice. The fact that you are aware of those feelings/behaviours and want to change them when they happen is good.

Some things I do when I find myself in that state:

-do what you need to to get back to spending CASH (when we fall short and don't have the cash on hand, is when I find it easiest to blow more than the little we do have via debit).

-walk away. Sometimes I find myself picking up this and that and oh, one of those- I could use one of those! ....then for a brief second I realize I could buy all this stuff I "need" or I can put it down, walk away, and know where to find it tomorrow if I still feel I TRULY need it. ...somehow this going through the motions of buying/choosing stuff is enough to calm the shopping bug, without actually putting a dent in the wallet.

-stay out of the stores

-look for SOMETHING new that's free/cheap to break the routine .... for me, it's usually new recipes- just to break the norm and get something different.

-Maybe make a list of genuine things you could use, and when you get the "I wants", research a way of getting one of those things on the cheap and hope that hits the spot

-return stuff to ease your buyer's remorse

-get some convenience stuff to have on hand....if you make everything from scratch, on days where you're just pooped, the only other option is to eat out. Get some nitrate-free-turkey dogs (or just plain ol' hotdogs), KD, frozen tortellini, etc. to keep in the freezer when you just need an easy meal.

-if you're craving Iced coffee, grab a blender and and a nice travel mug and make it at home. Don't fight it and deprive yourself, find a way to truly enjoy it without the guilt.

GOOD LUCK! ....you're certainly not alone!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#4 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM

subbling, I'm here because we're tight on cash all year except when DH works summer school and gets a double paycheck for two months.  We've been eating out two times a week, buying christmas stuff from the deal sites and coop stuff I've been itching to get (like family cloth wipes and just tomatoes)  It's not 'hurting us'  but I'm having a HARD time not buying other stuff just because I want it.  We usually blow through the extra summer cash by september getting one or two big house projects done plus all of the 'treating ourselves' - this year we need to fix up our fence and replace the glass door that shattered in the windstorm last winter. 

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#5 of 11 Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM

So, I don't know if this will work for you, but I love looking at stuff on amazon.  I put stuff into my cart and think, I will just buy this later, when I have more stuff I "need" to save on shipping, or have enough for free shipping or whatever.  Later, I will sign back onto amazon and see that I have, say, 4 things in my cart.  I honestly won't remember what I have in there and when I look, I just take it all back out =)  It gets me the shopping thing, but without spending the money.

Lol, that will only work if you actually don't buy the stuff when you first look at it, though ;)

Juvysen likes this.
#6 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Sometimes when I get the "I wants" I force myself to wait 20, 30 minutes and see if I still really want that thing, of can I do without it, get something cheaper, make it myself, etc.

#7 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 03:08 PM

I think I might be famous for putting things in my cart and just... leaving it there for ages and then I either decide I don't really need it or something happens to make it unavailable.  LOL

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post

I think I might be famous for putting things in my cart and just... leaving it there for ages and then I either decide I don't really need it or something happens to make it unavailable.  LOL

Yep, done that.  I just had a moment this week where a sale on some fabric I wanted was expiring.  I decided to order even though it'd be a stretch to the end of the week and pay day.  But, turns out the particular prints I needed were out of stock.  Went searching for another shop to order and found one at a cheaper than the other sale price. Woohoo.  Went to place my order, and had second thoughts...and realized, hey, this store has lots of stock and I can wait.  ;)  Sometimes it's so hard to wait.  I have a hard time with the "wants", too.  After I pay bills on Friday, I can reward myself with a couple of half yards for new couch pillows. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#9 of 11 Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 AM

i think not going into stores is what helps me most. dd(6) has started to want to just go buy things for fun; i assume it's from seeing me buy things. i. much. have. better. control. over. myself! dizzy.gif

#10 of 11 Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 AM

As a homeschooler, I can justify almost any purchase. It is BAD! LOL

The amazon cart thing works well, I also have a wishlist, which allows me to feel like I am shopping without spending money.

I do set aside a certain amount of money each paycheck to spend on something I want- this month, it was 2 pairs of capris. I actually really needed them (mine were several years old and looked it, stained) and it felt good to get a great deal on them.

Eating Out- We have been good lately, but we had a few hot and busy weeks where we spent way too much. I did what others have mentioned, threw a frozen pizza into the freezer or other convenience food so we could have something fast at home. It really helped minimize out eating out.

It sounds like you are back on track. Just being aware of the spending helps.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#11 of 11 Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Eating Out- We have been good lately, but we had a few hot and busy weeks where we spent way too much. I did what others have mentioned, threw a frozen pizza into the freezer or other convenience food so we could have something fast at home. It really helped minimize out eating out.

I second this. We keep frozen chicken nuggets (gross, I know, but one DD and DH like them), Chinese veggie dumplings, samosas, cheese ravioli, etc. in the freezer for those occasions. There is always a jar of pasta sauce and pasta in my pantry for the same reason. The frozen stuff is a little more expensive, but not as expensive as eating out.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page