September No-Spend Challenge--Let's "Fall" Back Into the Saving Habit! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Here's my key:

whistling.gif = Unnecessary or non-budgeted spending

orngbiggrin.gif = Budgeted spending only

love.gif = No spending today

hang.gif = Line dried clothes

treehugger.gif = No-drive day

knit.gif= 30 minutes + crafting

Sep 1:  orngbiggrin.gif  hang.gif  knit.gif$135.00 groceries.  (Is it just me, or are they going up in price again? irked.gif)

Sep 2:  orngbiggrin.gif hang.gif knit.gif$20.00 planned meal out. 

Sep 3:  orngbiggrin.gif knit.gif hang.gif $30.00 back-to-school thrift shopping

Sep 4: whistling.gifknit.gifhang.gif Spontaneous, over-priced, poorly rationalized dinner out.  ("But, but.....it's a long weekend.  We *deserve* this!")

Sep 5: whistling.gif knit.gif Technically non-budgeted but I'll just spend less on groceries next trip.  DH bought some BBQ supplies (including beer) for tonight.  $12.00. Skipped doing laundry today, so I don't get to post my favorite icon with the smiley hanging clothes on the line. 

Sep 6: orngbiggrin.gif treehugger.gif hang.gif knit.gif

Sep 7: whistling.gifForgot to pack snack while running errands.  $5.00 in the hole from coffee shop.

Sep 8: orngbiggrin.gif

Sep 9: orngbiggrin.gif

Sep 10: 2whistle.gif Coffee stop.  Bought beer after we'd cut booze out of our grocery budget.

Sep 11: whistling.gif Bought Amy's Meals because they were "on sale."  You know what's cheaper than getting something on sale that you don't need?  Not getting it!  banghead.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#32 of 45 Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to join this.  It seems that DH and I spend money literally every day in some fashion.  I'm 30 and this month, going officially part-time at work and really just want to curtail excess spending so we can live within the boundaries of my new salary.  It's embarrassing, but even if we went 10 days in a month without spending, that would be huge.  Here goes.

Sep 1:

2 needed food for party

3 needed food for party

4 bought fabric for dress

5 bought yarn for sweater, needed gas for grill

6 needed diapers, dh went to menards

7 none

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#33 of 45 Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM

I am feeling conflicted on whether or not I should go to the case-lot sale tomorrow.  There are several things on sale that we use on a regular basis, however, this could turn into a fairly large expense..so I'm just trying to figure out what is really necessary.

Sept 1 Was a bday date night.  We spent about $25 on drinks/food, however I used my bday money I was given..so nothing out of the main account.

Sept 2 No Spend thumb.gif

Sept 3 Gas for my car $55.10

Sept 4 Had to get some basics of groceries to make it through the week.  Used the rest of our foodstamps, and spent $5.06 out of pocket.

Sept 5 Early xmas present for DS on sale $10.  I did actually do some line drying today on my apt balcony!

Sept 6 No spend thumb.gif

Sept 7 No spend thumb.gif

Sept 8 DH bought gas $40.22

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#34 of 45 Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Forgot to mention that I did ride public transit 5/8 days since the beginning of the month.  At least I feel like I'm saving on money and pollution there!  DS and I even took the train to a bday party this weekend instead of driving!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#35 of 45 Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Key:

thumb.gif No Spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif unbudgeted/ un-necessary spending

hang.gif hung-dry laundry

knit.gif 30 minutes spent crafting

Goals for September:

thumb.gif  6/20

hang.gif  1/15

knit.gif  2/20

1. thumb.gifhang.gifknit.gif

2. thumb.gifknit.gif

3. irked.gif unbudgeted but necessary, $18 to buy 3 new bed pillows at Kohl's.  We're transitioning kids from the family bed to their own beds and they needed pillows.

4. thumb.gif spent the day at my parents' for my little sis's b-day.  Brought crockpot sausage and peppers made completely from things in the freezer/ pantry.

5. irked.gif spent $58 at JoAnn Fabrics for fabric for holiday gifts.  Everything was on sale and I would have bought it eventually, I just wasn't prepared to get the stuff *now*.

6. thumb.gif

7. thumb.gif

8. thumb.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#36 of 45 Old 09-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post

Sept 1st  thumb.gif

Sept 2nd  thumb.gif made a budget

Sept 3rd irked.gif 6.00 at Traget - gift , notebooks and School map

Sept 4th thumb.gif made 24.00

Sept 5th thumb.gif

Sept 6th thumb.gif made 25.00

Sept 7th thumb.gif

Sept 8th irked.gif 28.00 on Food items and my huuby brought me and him dinner out as special treat I knew nothing about :)

(I made $30.00 on the 6th instead of 25 so we spent that so nothing out of the budget)

Sept 9thorngbiggrin.gif 25.00 riding lessonfor daughter and 60.00 gas for van

(these are budget amounts)

Sept 10th irked.gif I am taking 41.00 cash out of paycheck  that was extra to go to a very large community garage sale but I may not spend it.

Staying on budget feels great , Paid the bills for todays paycheck!

Sarah

#37 of 45 Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Key:

Goals for September:

thumb.gif  8/20

hang.gif  2/15

knit.gif  2/20

2. thumb.gifknit.gif

3. irked.gif unbudgeted but necessary, $18 to buy 3 new bed pillows at Kohl's.  We're transitioning kids from the family bed to their own beds and they needed pillows.

4. thumb.gif spent the day at my parents' for my little sis's b-day.  Brought crockpot sausage and peppers made completely from things in the freezer/ pantry.

5. irked.gif spent $58 at JoAnn Fabrics for fabric for holiday gifts.  Everything was on sale and I would have bought it eventually, I just wasn't prepared to get the stuff *now*.

6. thumb.gif

7. thumb.gif

8. thumb.gif

9. thumb.gif hang.gif FINALLY!!  The rain let up and I was able to get a load on the drying racks!!

10. thumb.gif Went apple picking, stayed w/in the budget and picked 116lbs of apples.  My mom and I will get canning this week for applesauce and apple pie filling for the year.

11. irked.gif Overspent our grocery budget by $100.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#38 of 45 Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mom2dea View Post

Sept 1st thumb.gif

Sept 2nd thumb.gif made a budget

Sept 3rd irked.gif 6.00 at Traget - gift , notebooks and School map

Sept 4th thumb.gif made 24.00

Sept 5th thumb.gif

Sept 6th thumb.gif made 25.00

Sept 7th thumb.gif

Sept 8th irked.gif 28.00 on Food items and my huuby brought me and him dinner out as special treat I knew nothing about :)

(I made $30.00 on the 6th instead of 25 so we spent that so nothing out of the budget)

Sept 9thorngbiggrin.gif 25.00 riding lesson for daughter and 60.00 gas for van, 40.00 on car for gas

(these are budget amounts) Also paid all bills today!

Sept 10th irked.gif I am taking 41.00 cash out of paycheck that was extra to go to a very large community garage sale but I may not spend it. ---- Spent 25.00 got 2 christmas gifts and tons of school books !!! irked.gif Spent 21.00 on pants for DS and THread as he forgot to tell me he needed them for Youth  and Hubby forgot to tell me that badges needed to be sewed onto boyscout outfit ! I used 5.00 from the money I made and all of the 41.00 on todays items :(

Sept 11thirked.giforngbiggrin.gif 3.00 on crap so my daughter can be normal at Cheerleading ! But It came out of budget food money !

Sept 12th orngbiggrin.gif Private for Cheer $25.00 and I am going food shopping today

---I know only have 19.00 extra for the end of the month bills :( ---

Sarah

#39 of 45 Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Here's my key:

whistling.gif = Unnecessary or non-budgeted spending

orngbiggrin.gif = Budgeted spending only

love.gif = No spending today

hang.gif = Line dried clothes

treehugger.gif = No-drive day

knit.gif= 30 minutes + crafting

Sep 1:  orngbiggrin.gif  hang.gif  knit.gif$135.00 groceries.  (Is it just me, or are they going up in price again? irked.gif)

Sep 2:  orngbiggrin.gif hang.gif knit.gif$20.00 planned meal out. 

Sep 3:  orngbiggrin.gif knit.gif hang.gif $30.00 back-to-school thrift shopping

Sep 4: whistling.gifknit.gifhang.gif Spontaneous, over-priced, poorly rationalized dinner out.  ("But, but.....it's a long weekend.  We *deserve* this!")

Sep 5: whistling.gif knit.gif Technically non-budgeted but I'll just spend less on groceries next trip.  DH bought some BBQ supplies (including beer) for tonight.  $12.00. Skipped doing laundry today, so I don't get to post my favorite icon with the smiley hanging clothes on the line. 

Sep 6: orngbiggrin.gif treehugger.gif hang.gif knit.gif

Sep 7: whistling.gifForgot to pack snack while running errands.  $5.00 in the hole from coffee shop.

Sep 8: orngbiggrin.gif

Sep 9: orngbiggrin.gif

Sep 10: 2whistle.gif Coffee stop.  Bought beer after we'd cut booze out of our grocery budget.

Sep 11: whistling.gif Bought Amy's Meals because they were "on sale."  You know what's cheaper than getting something on sale that you don't need?  Not getting it!  banghead.gif

Sep 12: whistling.gif Coffee again.  Dammit.  Gotta figure something to combat this nasty habit....

Sep 13: orngbiggrin.gif $500 well-budgeted for attic insulation, and our power company provides a rebate.  Good-bye ice dams!  And bring on those heating bills!  (Um, no, not really.... hide.gif)

Sep 14: whistling.gif $15 over budget on groceries

Sep 15: orngbiggrin.gif Budgeted lunch out with family.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#40 of 45 Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 PM

Key:

Goals for September:

thumb.gif  9/20

hang.gif  3/15

knit.gif  3/20

2. thumb.gifknit.gif

6. thumb.gif

7. thumb.gif

8. thumb.gif

9. thumb.gif hang.gif FINALLY!!  The rain let up and I was able to get a load on the drying racks!!

10. thumb.gif Went apple picking, stayed w/in the budget and picked 116lbs of apples.  My mom and I will get canning this week for applesauce and apple pie filling for the year.

12. thumb.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#41 of 45 Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Key:

Goals for September:

thumb.gif  11/20

hang.gif  4/15

knit.gif  3/20

2. thumb.gifknit.gif

6. thumb.gif

7. thumb.gif

8. thumb.gif

13. thumb.gif hang.gif knit.gif

14. thumb.gif

#42 of 45 Old 09-20-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sep 16: orngbiggrin.gif

Sep: 17: orngbiggrin.gif Stayed home!

Sep 18: orngbiggrin.gif $40.00 budgeted screen repair

Sep 19: orngbiggrin.gif $40.00 gas.  On a ROLLLLL this week.  The secret: Don't run errands!  Stay home as much as you can!  lol.gif

Sep 20: orngbiggrin.gif Stayed home!  No-drive day.

And by the way........where is everybody??  Keep posting, ladies, even if you've fallen off the wagon.  Heck, I started this thread and have amassed more over-spending days than I care to admit!

#43 of 45 Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

So, so, lonely..................  mecry.gifviolin.gifIt's a one-woman echo chamber in here!  lol.gif

Sep 21: whistling.gif $170.00 on groceries...still well over budget.  This ain't easy.... irked.gif

Sep 22: whistling.gif $6.50 coffee stop, (forgot to pack snacks before running errands).

#44 of 45 Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

So, so, lonely..................  mecry.gifviolin.gifIt's a one-woman echo chamber in here!  lol.gif

biglaugh.gif I'm still here, just haven't been able to grab a few minutes to update.

Key:

Goals for September:

thumb.gif  17/20

hang.gif  4/15

knit.gif  12/20

2. thumb.gifknit.gif

6. thumb.gif

7. thumb.gif

8. thumb.gif

13. thumb.gif hang.gif knit.gif

14. thumb.gif

15. thumb.gif knit.gif

16. thumb.gif knit.gif

17. irked.gif knit.gif  We went into DC to the Museum of Natural History, which the Metro ride in was budgeted for.  So was the stop at the outlet mall on the way home to get sneakers for the kids.  But McDonalds was NOT budgeted for or the expensive sunglasses DH bought for me shy.gif

18. thumb.gif knit.gif

19. irked.gif knit.gif ordered all the yarn I need for this Christmas presents.  Wasn't in the budget, but DH gave me the go ahead so I can get working on gifts.

20. thumb.gif knit.gif

21. thumb.gif knit.gif

22. thumb.gif knit.gif

#45 of 45 Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

23: orngbiggrin.gif

24: whistling.gif $40.00 over budget on kids' clothes.  (Those "outlet" stores aren't always much of a bargain). irked.gif

25: orngbiggrin.gif

26: whistling.gif $1.86 coffee out.

27: orngbiggrin.gif treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page