Getting out of debt in SEPTEMBER!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't decide if people just keep overlooking my posts or if I am just really unpopular.  LOL  I have attempted to join in for a few months now.  Ironically, I used to host this thread.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Hi Purple Lotus! Sorry if you felt overlooked! Looks like you are well on your way - are you on BS2 right now?  I read more often than I post because it feels like we are just dodging what is coming at us lately (dh had a minor car accident yesterday and we are fighting with the RMV over toll both fines currently) but I am inspired by the posts here and I keep on trying.  I have noticed that we are doing a little tiny bit better each month so every little accomplishment helps to encourage me to keep going.

I am glad that tomorrow is both payday and the last day of September - bring on October!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

I can't decide if people just keep overlooking my posts or if I am just really unpopular.  LOL  I have attempted to join in for a few months now.  Ironically, I used to host this thread.

Oh no!  I have the same feeling on numerous threads.  To me it feels like Mothering has been super quiet for awhile.  Maybe it's just me.

I read a lot on my tablet, which doesn't often want to post replies for me so I'm sorry I didn't welcome you.  You seem to know what you are doing, so I don't have much input.  But welcome to the journey!  I like to use this thread to rejoice in my progress or keep accountable, whether I get a response or not.  Maybe your post will call some other people to reintroduce themselves and update their own progress!   That would be a nice theme for October since it is rapidly coming upon us.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM

I never mean to ignore people, and often feel ignored. sorry! I find I spend most of my time NAK as I am now. lots more reading than replies.

My financial situation is about to change radically and ( baby fell asleep) I hope to have leaps and bounds to report in the next five or six months. My COL is about $2000 currently but will drop down to $800 by Nov 1st thanks to a radical lifestyle change. I have a little less than $30,000 in all of my debts combined. I hope to throw as much as $2000 per month on debt! We'll see how things turn out but that's what I'm hoping.

My whining usually ends up being typed out more than encouraging others in there progress. I am going to try to work on that. The best way to make friends is to be one, right!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post
My COL is about $2000 currently but will drop down to $800 by Nov 1st thanks to a radical lifestyle change. I have a little less than $30,000 in all of my debts combined. I hope to throw as much as $2000 per month on debt! We'll see how things turn out but that's what I'm hoping.

I'm intrigued!  Can you share more about your plans to reduce your COL?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 PM

well we were contemplating moving to a bad neighborhood to bring down our cost of living, but decided that wasn't a great move for us. I then looked into apartments and learned that our crap hole house is cheaper than an apartment around here. We are really over extended and Dave says we pay too much rent. My DH has always wanted to RV once he retires so I was poking around on Craigs one night at the RV's for sale just for fun. He turned to me and said, "you're not thinking of moving us into an RV are you"? I of course answered no but this actually got the wheels turning in both of our heads. We live 2 blocks from an RV park so I went and asked them how much a months rent was. $700 plus power. Water, sewer, cable, and parking included in rent. That's exactly the amount of rent we should be paying. I asked about kids and they said kids live there all the time. Then I joined the FULLTIME RV TRIBE here on MDC just to get a feel for the lifestyle. Other crunchy moms are doing it while traveling, why can't I do it here and keep our jobs and stack cash. Then I found all sorts of blogs from families with lots of kids loving their RV lifestyle. I found a couple who had been asking $12,000 for their RV and had dropped it down to $8,500. I offered them $5000 and they excepted my offer! So now were in the process of packing, donating, and junking the house. We live in a small house so I am not to overwhelmed with stuff. I really look forward to having to be a minimalist. I think it is going to be a very good lesson for my family.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Go trekkingirl! That is extreme, and sounds like a lot of fun :-) I lived with my kids in a one bedroom apartment for the last seven months (although we did have access to a huge house, so it's not really the same) and we are currently living with my husband in a two hotel room situation! It's made us all closer and is fun--and forces us to go outside a lot more, so it's all good right?

Good luck and keep us posted :-)

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Go trekkingirl!!!  That's incredible.  How is the outdoor space in the RV park?  And what kind of climate do you live in?  I think that would be very doable if there is an appropriate climate that the kids can spend lots of time outdoors when inside starts feeling small, you know?  I have a fantasy of living an RV lifestyle, too.  But it will probably be when we are retired.  With the number of kids we have, and not knowing where life will take each of them, I want to be able to freely travel and spend time with each of their families.  Dh and I have also briefly discussed buying a food truck, Great job on thinking creatively and being willing to take risks to improve your overall quality of life.  

Today I checked our last CC balance which I'd submitted last paycheck and it is officially paid off!!  I just realized that since the card is on a 0% interest offer, there will be no extra little pennies to pay off the following month as there usually is.  I am so excited that I found a blank printable certificate of completion and printed it out in honor of our achieving 0 Credit Card debt. LOL  I'm sure only you gals here will really appreciate what I'm feeling. :D  I think I'll frame it and hang it somewhere in our bedroom, though.  My cute 12yo dd signed it for us. This is the one I used, but there are lots of places you can find printables if anyone else likes the idea. http://www.class-templates.com/certificate-of-achievement-002.html

Also my BIL is a former financial advisor, and he has been analyzing the current refinance climate with the intention of refinancing their own home.  He's taking some time off today and thinks he'll have the time to look at our situation and help us decide if we should refinance to roll our 2 mortgages together.  I'm excited to have someone who is very familiar with analyzing these things take a look and give me an opinion before I start approaching our loan holders.  I am just so ticked that our second mortgage is an interest only loan and that we had no idea when we signed it.  There isn't anything in the papers that suggests that.  It was bad enough when the payment was $35, but now it is $65.  Argh!!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Trying to feel grateful that we had the $270 to pay the registry of motor vehicles so we can then pay another $50 to renew our registration but instead I am feeling very very frustrated that stuff just seems to keep coming up.  It feels like we are never going to get ahead.  I was hoping to use that cash to go towards our oil heat but decided to pay the fines and renew our registration as it was due today and I feared getting pulled over and incurring more fines and fees. 

Lately it feels like one thing keeps leading to another.  Sigh....

Thanks for letting me vent redface.gif

Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 PM

dziejen I totally understand where you're coming from. Today is the last day my registration is good and I haven't had any extra money this month to pay it.

As for outdoor space at the RV park, this park seems to have limited outdoor space. Others a bit up north have nice outdoor space with grass and only cost $400 a month. We may end up staying up there when the weather is nice. We live in Northern Ca and there is a rainy season here. I'm hoping to spend some time between grandparents and doing indoor local cheap outings during the rainy season. 

After months of complaining, looks like they are finally going to take down the sexy posters of women in their lingerie at the mall playground! But that is a subject for another thread.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziejen View Post

Trying to feel grateful that we had the $270 to pay the registry of motor vehicles so we can then pay another $50 to renew our registration but instead I am feeling very very frustrated that stuff just seems to keep coming up.  It feels like we are never going to get ahead.  I was hoping to use that cash to go towards our oil heat but decided to pay the fines and renew our registration as it was due today and I feared getting pulled over and incurring more fines and fees. 

Lately it feels like one thing keeps leading to another.  Sigh....

Thanks for letting me vent redface.gif

Yes, it's a pain, but you will probably appreciate a little less stress for having it taken care of.  I had an unexpected $50 bill this week too, which is annoying when dh is bringing home $400 less a month than he did last month because the season is changing.  Ugh!  

User Tag List