Vintage Pressure Canner, or buy new? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I desperately want a pressure canner so I can quit taking up room in the freezer with stocks.  I've been poking around ebay, and there are a few vintage models that are priced favorably.... but they are old.  I don't need anything fancy, no all american or anything, plus some of those vintage ones are kinda cute (drab olive green and poopy gold? yes, please!).  Have there been any revolutions in pressure canners that render the old ones useless?  Should I suck it up and start saving for a new one?

#2 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

The risk with buying a pressure canner used (especially a dial gauge canner) is you can't be sure it's been calibrated properly so the pressure settings are correct. 

And there have been some new innovations over the years with steam/safety release valves that make today's canners much safer to use than yesteryear's. This is one item I'd recommend buying new. You can find decent quality ones for under $100 though - Presto makes one that's gotten good reviews, and I think it runs about $70-80 in most places. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 PM

What do you want to can? A lot of stuff can be hot water bathed. I got my canner new online for around $100 and it holds 20 pint jars. I don't use it much though and didn't use it at all this year. I feel like it was  a waste of my money. : (

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post

I got my canner new online for around $100 and it holds 20 pint jars. I don't use it much though and didn't use it at all this year. I feel like it was  a waste of my money. : (

Wow, 20 pints! You got a giant workhorse. Mine only holds 7! You can always use it a stockpot for big batches of soup and whatnot, and not just canning. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM

I love my presto weighted gauge canner.  I bought it new many years ago for $50 and use it all the time. 

I also have my grandma's vintage dial gauge canner.  I've never gotten around to using it because I know the dial gauge needs to be calibrated, it needs new seals, and the weighted gauge is just so much easier to use.

I vote new.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Obviously I would pressure can low acid food .  I already water-bath can just about everything I can can! :)  I love the idea of canning my own pasta sauce, soups, corn, beans, stocks, etc so these things can quite taking up room in my freezer!  I don't have big freezer, just the little one on top of my fridge.  Not enough room!

I guess it really does make sense to buy new.  I can save up my swagbucks for a few months and buy one.  With shipping on ebay it wouldn't be much savings after all.  Though in the mean time, my neighbor lent me her mom's old weighted gauge presto, so I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow!

#7 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Definitely something I would not by old. The new ones have more safety features built in & are more reliable. As a pp mentioned you can also be more sure they are properly calibrated.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 AM

I would buy new.  I pressure can and cook a lot and have 5 different pressure canners and cookers.  By far, my All-American 923 is my easiest pressure canner to use.  Unless I have to do a LOT at a given time, I don't even bother getting out my old Presto canner.  The other 3 are cookers, from 16 quarts to 10 and again, my newer model is the one I prefer, as it's easier to use.

Oh, another thing about the All-American is that it doesn't have a gasket, which is much nicer.

Happy canning!!

P.S. Kitchensqueen... are you sure your canner holds only 7 PINTS?  If so, then it's probably too small to can in.  Anything under 16 quarts is too small to safely can in.  Anything over 16 quarts that is a pressure canner should hold at least 7 QUARTS  (that is 7 (one quart) jars).

#9 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM

You can get a new 23 quart presto for less than 100 dollars on Amazon, if cost is the issue. The closest sized All American is over twice the price. If you are just getting into pressure canning you might want to start with the lower investment. I've never had a problem with gaskets, even on my 20 year old pressure cooker that has one, which I've had longer than my pressure canner. But bottom line, I'd buy new for the safety release valve which may not be on the older ones, depending on age and design. 

When I get a second pressure canner I'm seriously considering the All American though. I could use a second one to save time. 

#10 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM

I have an All American pressure canner and love it!  But this sucker is heavy!  My pressure cooker is Presto and I love that too.

For safety reasons, I vote new.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

P.S. Kitchensqueen... are you sure your canner holds only 7 PINTS?  If so, then it's probably too small to can in.  Anything under 16 quarts is too small to safely can in.  Anything over 16 quarts that is a pressure canner should hold at least 7 QUARTS  (that is 7 (one quart) jars).

Hahahaha pregnancy brain! It holds 7 quarts! It's a 21 quart pot. 

#12 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Just for reference, you might check with your county extension service to see if they check the gauges on older pressure canners.  Ours does, free of charge.  

#13 of 15 Old 09-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have an old one and it freaks me out.  I have used it once and it scared the bejeezies out of me.  The gauge was faulty and I had no confidence that I was using it correctly.  

I do a lot of water bath canning, but if and when I want to pressure can,  I will absolutely buy a new one.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#14 of 15 Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 PM

I am going to throw in a lonely vote for vintage. I was gifted a very very very old one, but i have seen them as low as $6 in thrift shops. The lady who is in charge of the canning stuff at my local county cooperative even drove TO ME to test my dial guage for accuracy. I personally like a dial guage anyway. Of course my ancient guage was waaaaaay off, but no worries, i easily found a brand new replacement very inexpensively on eBay. I mostly just can chicken stock, but i love love my vintage canner smile.gif
joy.gif
#15 of 15 Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeofLife15 View Post

I am going to throw in a lonely vote for vintage. I was gifted a very very very old one, but i have seen them as low as $6 in thrift shops. The lady who is in charge of the canning stuff at my local county cooperative even drove TO ME to test my dial guage for accuracy. I personally like a dial guage anyway. Of course my ancient guage was waaaaaay off, but no worries, i easily found a brand new replacement very inexpensively on eBay. I mostly just can chicken stock, but i love love my vintage canner smile.gif
joy.gif

How much did the replacement gauge cost?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page