Writing a Will: Lawyer or No Lawyer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

1. Do absolutely, positively have to see a lawyer to get the will done?  We only own one house and not too many valuables.  There are no divorces or any other potentially convoluted situations.  I hear some online "experts" say that it's foolish not to use a lawyer...but they're probably lawyers, lol!  I can't tell if this is legitimately important, or more akin to an OB telling you never to have a home birth with a midwife....

2. If we do need a lawyer, any tips on keeping it cheap?  Lawyer fees are pretty scary....

3. If we don't need a lawyer, can you recommend any good software?  If we go this route, should we have a lawyer maybe look it over before we get it notarized?

Also, please share anything else I should know before going through with this, including any personal experience that may be helpful.  TIA! 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you looked at Legal Zoom? We've used them for a couple of things and have been happy. We even went through the courts with their documents once and had no problems. I'm not sure how well they would work for a complex will, but for a simple one I think they are a good deal. 

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#3 of 12 Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My friend used legal zoom for his will and said ti was totally slick.  He was trilled.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM

I would recommend also looking into having a living revocable trust with an incapability clause. This will make it so that your inheritors won't have to pay high fees in probate as well as other benefits. Take a look!

#5 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM

It's 100% worth getting a lawyer if you have a kid.

My employer offers a pre-paid legal plan for $16 a month. I enrolled this year and that paid for our wills for my husband and me. I recommend everyone to figure out how to pay for it.

#6 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I did the lawyer route. It was expensive but I feel quite protected having set up guardianships and such for the children.
#7 of 12 Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM

If you have a fairly straight forward will, use an online source to write your will.  We used Legal Zoom and then had it notarized after we signed it.  We don't have a lot of assets and everything was fairly easy and cheap (I think both DH and I paid around $100 for both our wills). 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#8 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 PM

We used a lawyer but I wanted peace of mind with custody issues.  You can most certainly do it yourself, but do take the effort to get it notarized.  The chance of something to you and spouse are ridiculously low, so if you're broke, I wouldn't spend the money.  But, keep in mind, custody is in the hands of the courts and children will go to close family first.  If you're fine w/ that, then do the cheapo will and you'll be fine. 

#9 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Oh, and my lawyer said the only time he has ever heard of family arguing over custody was when there was lots of money involved!!

#10 of 12 Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM

Just because no one argued over it doesn't mean you child's best interests were served.  I DH and I died without a will I am sure my parents (whom I love dearly) would end up with my kids.  They are very close to my children, but they are also in their late 60 and early 70's and don't have the stamina for raising a 6 and 9 year old.

My brother and his wife are my kids guardians, but there would be trustee for the money.  I think this is good, because my SIL solution to all problems is to throw money at it.  I am sure she would think her house was too little if she had two extra kids in it.  My kids could care less.  Someone that is objective would be useful in this situation.

Also people need to change gaurdian from time to time.  We previously had other family members in this role. And honestly I would change it to my other brother if his life changed (he is currently single and works and travels way too much to single parent two kids) .

We went with a lawyer and it was less than $500 and now we have a contact relationship if we need one.

#11 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I always always always recommend using a lawyer. Especially ... 

If you want someone who is not immediate family as guardian 

If think there's the slightest chance that anyone might contest anything at all 

If you have really strong feelings and would be upset if a particular wish wasn't carried out

mama to three little ladies
#12 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure we used "Family Lawyer" software by Broderbund but I'm not positive.  We also used it for some of our renovation contracts and leases.  But we did our will and some other death-related docs on that and then took that to our lawyer to review.  He looked over all of it and said "this is great--you don't need me!" and didn't even charge us for the session (admittedly, he is the attorney for most of my family and between real estate transactions and business dealings he gets plenty of business from us).

We're so certain there will be fighting about our kids (because of the life insurance payouts that go with them) that we're doing an additional "letter to the judge" from each of us stating very clearly our objection to certain family members having custody or visitation.  huh.gif

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page