Can you all teach me to grocery shop? Long - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We eat a lot of beans and rice here in different fashion (eating a bowl of it now! NOM). Here's a recipe your son might like:

Crockpot Black Bean and Brown Rice Burrito Filling

4 cans black beans and their liquid

1.5 cups brown rice

3 cans diced tomatoes (I like at least one can to be the tomatoes w/green chilies)

2 t onion powder

1 t garlic powder

2 t oregano

(You know, I don't even think I add the seasonings, come to think about it).

Toss it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-ish hours. 

This is SO good and SO SO SO filling. I can usually only eat two burritos before I'm full to bursting. And when I make this, we have leftovers for at least three days (me, my marathon-running, weight-lifting husband, and my eats-us-out-of-house-and-home 9 year old ds). You could use beans that you cooked at home if you added the proper amount of water for the brown rice. If your dss wanted even more protein, he could scramble an egg to add to the burrito, or add some tofu. Anyway, give it a whirl, it's a favorite around here. :) Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Similar the tune patty idea, here is my bean burger recipe:

1 can of beans rinsed and drained

1 cup quick oats

1 egg

3 tbsp sauce (bbq, salsa, or anything you want)

minced onions, garlic, and spice as desired

mix it up, let it sit for 10-30 min to soak up, then form into patties and pan fry or bake

i find that red or white kidney beans make the best regular burgers, black beans are really good with a bit of cumin mixed in and topped with salsa, avacado, and cheese, and chickpeas make a good mediterranean burger with bruchetta and feta cheese on pita. 

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can think of a few options

- tuna patties (use oatmeal or coconut flour instead of bread crumbs if he wants to avoid carbs) coconut flour is not cheap, but lasts a long time and you can use 2 tbsp at a time, very fibrous and has some protein as well.

- home made nut milk. soak almonds in water with sea salt, rinse and blend with 4 times water. store in fridge. can flavor with vanilla or chocolate powder, cinnamon, cardomom etc

- if you filter the almond milk, use the remaining meal in bean patties or tuna / salmon patties..

- make energy bars with peanut butter, oats, coconut etc.. very filling.

- boiled eggs can sub nicely for breakfast

- I have recently started making this bread http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/ which is very high in protein and this makes about 20 slices... I eat one slice at a time and is very filling.

- you can add spinach or grated zucchini or carrots in omelettes to make it more filling. You can make quiches or breakfast caseroles, cut in individual portions and freeze it. he can heat it up when he is hungry. the same quiches can be cooked in muffin tins for individual portions..

- black bean soup is extremely filling and is super cheap to make. use a hand blender to partially blend the stuff.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant

User Tag List