Purchasing used electronics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking of getting my kids used i-touch devices for christmas.  Anyone have any tips on buying them?  They seem to be $80-100 (and up) on craigslist.  I have yet to look on ebay.  Are these apple products bug free?  Ie if there are no surface defects should I be reasonably confident that it will work fine for a while?

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#2 of 4 Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds was recently looking for an ipod that he had earned the money for.  I thought about getting a used product, or a refurbished one, but the more I thought about it, the more I worried that getting a used product with no warranty was a bad idea for a child (or teen in my case).  The savings wasn't enough off the new price.  I think we ended up with a refurb from Apple which has a full waranty.  A refurb from a non-Apple source was usually limited to 3- or 6-months.  Just something to think about.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#3 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Get refurbished. If you get used and privately sold, there is a very good chance that you will inherit problems that will cost more than you'd saved to get fixed. There are several reputable places to get refurbished electronics at a fraction of the original cost. TigerDirect.com is one. The manufacturer may also offer refurbished pieces.

Trust me, you don't want someone else's crap on your stuff. It tends to get messy and it could even pose a security issue.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#4 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Refurbished from Apple is the way to go. 

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page