Fall 2011 Low Income Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 192 Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys. Please don't mind me just jumping right in here. We definitely qualify as low income. We're a family of five surviving on DH's income and my student financial aid. Yikes! I am not looking forward to Christmas. :( Our county isn't covered for Toys for Tots, I am having a hard time finding info on Angel Tree, and the local schools don't have charity drives or anything like that. DH's check today was less than expected too so that isn't helping. We'll be okay on bills and stuff (for the most part, we're pro at juggling) but it leaves nothing left for holidays. Bah. Not to mention our food stamps went down despite our bills and rent increasing and DH"s income staying the same. Double bah!

I am doing desperate searches for anything in this county for holiday help for the kids, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Triple bah.

#122 of 192 Old 10-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post

Hi guys. Please don't mind me just jumping right in here. We definitely qualify as low income. We're a family of five surviving on DH's income and my student financial aid. Yikes! I am not looking forward to Christmas. :( Our county isn't covered for Toys for Tots, I am having a hard time finding info on Angel Tree, and the local schools don't have charity drives or anything like that. DH's check today was less than expected too so that isn't helping. We'll be okay on bills and stuff (for the most part, we're pro at juggling) but it leaves nothing left for holidays. Bah. Not to mention our food stamps went down despite our bills and rent increasing and DH"s income staying the same. Double bah!

I am doing desperate searches for anything in this county for holiday help for the kids, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Triple bah.

My Xmas money is coming from: Swagbucks (internet searches that you get points and trade them in for stuff- I get amazon gift cards. I'd love to refer you to it if you don't already use it.. PM me if you're interested)... I try to save as much as possible throughout the year, but some stuff as come up that I've needed so I currently only have $25 in amazon money. I will hopefully have $30-40 by the time Xmas comes.

I have been putting in codes from Rice Krispies boxes for $5 "gas cards" (just a $5 visa card that can be used anywhere), and should have about $20 from that by Dec ($10 currently).

Depending on how old your little ones are, $1-store coloring books, crayons, etc, make good/cheap gifts.

We also do the 4 gifts (plus stockings): Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read. That keeps us from over-spending/buying.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#123 of 192 Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

My Xmas money is coming from: Swagbucks (internet searches that you get points and trade them in for stuff- I get amazon gift cards. I'd love to refer you to it if you don't already use it.. PM me if you're interested)... I try to save as much as possible throughout the year, but some stuff as come up that I've needed so I currently only have $25 in amazon money. I will hopefully have $30-40 by the time Xmas comes.

I have been putting in codes from Rice Krispies boxes for $5 "gas cards" (just a $5 visa card that can be used anywhere), and should have about $20 from that by Dec ($10 currently).

Depending on how old your little ones are, $1-store coloring books, crayons, etc, make good/cheap gifts.

We also do the 4 gifts (plus stockings): Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read. That keeps us from over-spending/buying.

ETA: We do have a community holiday gift program, but the paperwork requires the parents to have full custody of their children, which we don't (we have joint), so I can't apply for that either.

ALSO: sometimes I use my food stamps for treats that I give as gifts too (for stockings, parents, friends).

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#124 of 192 Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 PM

My girls are 15, 6, and 2. The youngest would be fine with dollar store items, and maybe the 6yr old. But my oldest, no. :( The things she's asked for (and knows she's not getting so she's currently pouting and not talking to me):

1. Stereo with big speakers

2. Money

3. Xbox360 with games

4. New bed

5. Roller blades (that look "hella dank")

6. Skateboard (customized)

7. Bongos

8. Treadmill

9. Camera/video camera, at least 12 megapixels

I already use Swagbucks but I haven't been having much luck lately. I've only gotten enough points in the past 2 months for one $5 gift card. And I already spent our other amazon gift cards on previous birthdays. 

I've emailed the contact person for the closest covered county for Toys for Tots. Hopefully I'm just overlooking something and there will be a way for us to put in a request. They have donation boxes at stores all over the place here. Surely they cover us for request too then... right?

#125 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

My girls are 15, 6, and 2. The youngest would be fine with dollar store items, and maybe the 6yr old. But my oldest, no. :( The things she's asked for (and knows she's not getting so she's currently pouting and not talking to me):

2. Money

3. Xbox360 with games

4. New bed

7. Bongos

8. Treadmill

I already use Swagbucks but I haven't been having much luck lately. I've only gotten enough points in the past 2 months for one $5 gift card. And I already spent our other amazon gift cards on previous birthdays. 

I've emailed the contact person for the closest covered county for Toys for Tots. Hopefully I'm just overlooking something and there will be a way for us to put in a request. They have donation boxes at stores all over the place here. Surely they cover us for request too then... right?

have you signed up for MDC's holiday helper program?   I'm not sure that you would receive any of those items, but it is a great program to help cover some gifts and clothing needs for kids.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#126 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:

What web broser do you use? We started using Chrome and stopped getting swagbucks. Then we went back to Internet Explorer  and are getting lots again. Weird!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#127 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM

I use Chrome. Stopped using Firefox a while back. Hmm... I wonder if that's the problem. I might just have to start using another browser for Swagbucks.

Got a response back from the Toys for Tots person. It's official, there is no program for my county. Though he's hoping maybe one will be started for next year. Gee. Thanks. That's helpful. *sigh*

It's okay. We will work things out. There's always a way. Even if it sucks trying to figure it out. Sometimes I just need a place to vent about it. :)

#128 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

What web broser do you use? We started using Chrome and stopped getting swagbucks. Then we went back to Internet Explorer  and are getting lots again. Weird!

Quote:

I use Chrome. Stopped using Firefox a while back. Hmm... I wonder if that's the problem. I might just have to start using another browser for Swagbucks.

Got a response back from the Toys for Tots person. It's official, there is no program for my county. Though he's hoping maybe one will be started for next year. Gee. Thanks. That's helpful. *sigh*

It's okay. We will work things out. There's always a way. Even if it sucks trying to figure it out. Sometimes I just need a place to vent about it. :)

Same here - was using firefox and getting lots. Now using Chrome and barely getting anything - I'll swap back to firefox and see if it gets more. On the bed - maybe Catholic Charities or St. Vincent De Paul has a bed they might give you? Ours gives furniture out and even delivers it free if you don't have a car. Another option is to join thredup and see if you can swap enough to earn credits and maybe get something off her list used. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#129 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM

lol.gif I wish that would work for her. She's extremely particular and has a specific type of bed in mind that she wants. Period. Nevermind that her current bed is less than a year old and is exactly what she asked for then. 

This is one example of what she has said she'd be happy with.

http://www.afwonline.com/furniture/bedroom/beds/conventional-beds/perimeter-place-queen-bed-i866-qbed

Yeah, that is SO not happening. lol.gif If I had that much money to spend on a bed I'd get it for me so I wouldn't be sleeping on just an old mattress on the floor without even a box spring. lol.gif

What's thredup? I don't think I've heard of that before.

#130 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:

lol.gif I wish that would work for her. She's extremely particular and has a specific type of bed in mind that she wants. Period. Nevermind that her current bed is less than a year old and is exactly what she asked for then. 

This is one example of what she has said she'd be happy with.

http://www.afwonline.com/furniture/bedroom/beds/conventional-beds/perimeter-place-queen-bed-i866-qbed

Yeah, that is SO not happening. lol.gif If I had that much money to spend on a bed I'd get it for me so I wouldn't be sleeping on just an old mattress on the floor without even a box spring. lol.gif

What's thredup? I don't think I've heard of that before.

Gotcha - totally understand. 

Thredup.com is a clothing trading site - you fill a priority mail box with good condition {no stains, tears etc} kids clothing, and post the box. It gets picked by someone else, you print the postage paid label and USPS picks it up from your home. If you post boxes in the in need sizes, you get a credit per box of $4 or $2 when it is selected and then reviewed. I've been shipping things out to earn credits, then cashing in the credits for a single box of what we need. They also have books, toys, kids / teen / adult clothing, shoes, household stuff and more on there. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#131 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Ooo, Thredup sounds really cool. I will have to check that out. :)

#132 of 192 Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

2. Money

3. Xbox360 with games

4. New bed

7. Bongos

8. Treadmill

I use Swagbucks... I've adopted a lazy-mama's way to use it: every day I do the poll, then I do the search (random searches until I get some 'bucks), then I check the messages for easy, no-purchase stuff, then I sometimes do the surveys. But my big thing is that I keep the Swagbucks TV open in a tab (at work, too!) put the videos on mute and play them all day. I usually get about 30 SB each day doing this...

maciascl likes this.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#133 of 192 Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

hola.gif

Quote:

Hi guys. Please don't mind me just jumping right in here.

Resistance is futile Matey
#134 of 192 Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM

I will first ask for things I want/need on Freecycle. If I come up dry I'll check thrift stores for things. My kids aren't spoiled brats (not saying yours are! Just, your 15 yr old is sounding like one atm, and they all can at moments) so they know that their things won't be new, and they agree it's even better when it's cheaper. They like to both get gifts AND eat, rather than having to choose, lol.  If I get something pretty good at a thrift store but it needs some work I can do it, or pay someone less than it would cost to buy the thing new. I also keep my eye out at yard sales year round, flea market-type sales, mom-to-mom sales, etc. I found a vanity marked $7 on half off day, so cost me $3.50, at the Volunteers of America store! Had a loose leg and some scratches. I tightened it up and touched up the scratches. DD1 now has a great gift. Got some roller skates for ds last year and took them to a repair place for new wheels. Looked brand new.

For better/higher priced things, do you have any skills you could barter? There's a barter section on CL, for instance. I can build a website, or sew. Dh was a professional painter before the economy tanked, so he'll barter painting for all kinds of things, like half a cow (beef) or various other things. Even the kids are in 4H and raise rabbits (in 2 hutches on the back patio of our townhome. Very easy animal to raise in a tight space). They sell or trade pedigreed bunnies for money for gifts or things they want/"need". At $20-30/bunny, 6 in a litter, able to rebreed as often as once a month (we only breed a rabbit once to twice per year) they do all right!

Takes some degree of ability to ignore rejection, but you can just cold email people selling things on CL, too, asking them to barter for something. Maybe you have an older PS with 100 games and they'd take that in exchange for an Xbox 360. I bought a new computer this year (w/student loans, for school) and it came with an Xbox. They're kind of a dime a dozen right now, so you may be able to put up a "wanted, let me know what I can do for you in return" ad in the electronics section of CL (well, maybe not those words, since that sounds kind of whorey, lol). And don't forget pawn shops. They've got really nice things at 75-50% of the cost of new.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#135 of 192 Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 PM

We have no skills to barter. We've considered it in the past. But I'm not crafty, I can't build websites, I suck at cleaning, I'm not cut out for baby sitting, our car is crappy so can't run errands or deliver things, and we've already sold everything worth anything at all to get by in the past. So yeah, that won't work.

I know we'll get through Christmas, I'm just not looking forward to it. I really just wanted to vent.

#136 of 192 Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:

We have no skills to barter. We've considered it in the past. But I'm not crafty, I can't build websites, I suck at cleaning, I'm not cut out for baby sitting, our car is crappy so can't run errands or deliver things, and we've already sold everything worth anything at all to get by in the past. So yeah, that won't work.

I know we'll get through Christmas, I'm just not looking forward to it. I really just wanted to vent.

I hear you.  Kids just want what they want--what they see in life and what their friends have.  Not that all of their friends have all of those things, but a kid can dream, right?

And as parents, we want to give them everything, even if that isn't always the best thing for them.

I hope you can find a small something to make christmas worth looking forward to!  Maybe sign your kids up to volunteer in a soup kitchen, or something like that to put in all in perspective? 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#137 of 192 Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:

hug2.gif Huge hugs to you! I feel the same way. My kids are still little so I don't have the list of wants you were given, but I could have written all the same stuff about bartering and well, I am not really looking forward to christmas either.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#138 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

2. Money

3. Xbox360 with games

4. New bed

7. Bongos

8. Treadmill

What games does she want?  Amazon frequently has really really good deals on video games, and there are some that one can get used for not all that much, too.  As for the platform, maybe you could provide a gift card with some money *towards the purchase* of it, encouraging her to save up her own earnings but showing that while you can't afford it yourself, you are making an effort to get her something she really wants.   As for the bongos, if she's not already a hand drummer who really knows her stuff (aka a teen who thinks these would be cool but otherwise hasn't given them a lot of thought), you can pick up a cheap set for $20.  If she's serious, that won't fly. 

#139 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have removed numerous posts from this thread. I have asked many of you in the past to not bring private issues into public threads. Take it to PM!

#140 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutabega View Post

What games does she want?  Amazon frequently has really really good deals on video games, and there are some that one can get used for not all that much, too.  As for the platform, maybe you could provide a gift card with some money *towards the purchase* of it, encouraging her to save up her own earnings but showing that while you can't afford it yourself, you are making an effort to get her something she really wants.   As for the bongos, if she's not already a hand drummer who really knows her stuff (aka a teen who thinks these would be cool but otherwise hasn't given them a lot of thought), you can pick up a cheap set for $20.  If she's serious, that won't fly. 

She doesn't know what games she wants. Well, she wants Zelda games, but other than that she's not sure. Not sure how much we could give in a gift card toward the platform but that's a thought. She'd probably spend it on something else though and then complain that she never got her game system. Ugh. Teenagers! As for the bongos, she's just a teenager who thinks they'd be cool. Where can they be found cheaply? I'll have to look around. :) Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

I have removed numerous posts from this thread. I have asked many of you in the past to not bring private issues into public threads. Take it to PM!

Thank you.

#141 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM

I hadn't heard of slickdeals. Thanks. :) I'll check it out. 

#142 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:

She doesn't know what games she wants. Well, she wants Zelda games, but other than that she's not sure. Not sure how much we could give in a gift card toward the platform but that's a thought. She'd probably spend it on something else though and then complain that she never got her game system. Ugh. Teenagers! As for the bongos, she's just a teenager who thinks they'd be cool. Where can they be found cheaply? I'll have to look around. :) Thanks!

If she gets a gift card and spends it on something else, well, then that's her problem, isn't it?  Might want to lessen the temptation by getting a card for something like Gamestop (if you have those where you live).  As for bongos, ebay has a bunch listed at $20 right now.  Amazon has some good deals, too.  I've also run across them in thrift stores, and while I've not been to pawn shops, my parents have found lots of musical instruments in them.  Try local music stores, too - they may carry used ones.

#143 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM

I looked on Amazon at bongos. I know nothing about them at all, but I saw some pretty cheap that might work. How big are bongos normally? I wouldn't want to accidentally buy her kid sized bongos or something. I don't even know if they come in more than one size to be honest. lol.gif

I think I saw a music store across town the other day. First I've seen anywhere around here (that isn't a strictly guitar shop, we have several of those). I'll check there for used instruments. She's definitely in a *making music* mode. Several of her friends are in *bands* and I think she wants to be too. Though I didn't know today's music called for bongos? lol.gif

And yeah, it'd be her problem if she spent her gift card on something else, I just don't want to hear the whining and complaining if I can avoid it. She's quite talented at it.

#144 of 192 Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM

Try shopgoodwill.com.  There are a couple bongos listed there right now for under $10.

rutabega likes this.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#145 of 192 Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

I have removed numerous posts from this thread.

Thank you very much!  :)

Resistance is futile Matey
#146 of 192 Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

Thank you very much!  :)

yeah... that had kind of a chilling effect...

Hope everyone is doing well!  It is getting cold here....

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#147 of 192 Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM

subbing.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#148 of 192 Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM

subbing too

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#149 of 192 Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Well atleast for this month we are still getting food stamps. I have not gotten any paperwork from them and we recieved what we've been getting. Weird! I am not complaining by any stetch of the imagination. What we have been getting is plenty. I am just surprised that that is what they chose to do since our monthy income changed. Regardless, I can feed my family this month and I am thrilled! Now I am just waiting for the notice to tell me what the heck is going on and if it will change next month and if my boys still have Medi-Cal. 

#150 of 192 Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM

I just sent in my FS/medicaid renewal forms with our last months dismal income and our slightly increased housing costs.  I got our paystubs back in the mail two days ago, so it should be processed soon.  Hopefully FS will go up a little because food prices are really going up!  I feel for those of you who are receiving less.  I really wish they would send out the heat assistance forms already!  I'm dreading next months gas bill. :(

DH registered for his last semester of classes this week.  He will have one class that meets during his working hours.  He should be able to go in an hour early three days a week and make up for leaving early on that day.  But also, he will only have two nights of classes instead of four!  It will be soooooo nice to have him home!  I feel so bad for our kids who don't see Daddy between Sunday PM and Friday PM.  It's been rough.  Then, he'll have to start looking for a new job in his new field.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page