Fall 2011 Low Income Support Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 192 Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Hi Fnord. I started reading your post and thought "She's got thyroid issues and needs magnesium." Lo and behold, in the net paragraph you mention the thyroid issues. I have done more research about the psychological effects of nutritional deficiencies than anyone I've ever known/see/heard of.

1. GET OFF SYNTHROID and ON ARMOUR THYROID. Find a Dr that will do this for you. DOs (Doctors of Osteopathic) are more likely to do this than Endos or MDs. Have a friend or family member make the phone calls for you if you must, and if you don't want a new doctor have them do the fighting w/your dr about trying Armour for you. Most Drs will give you what you want if you push hard enough. You just have to be willing to push, and you are not able to do this yourself right now.

My family doctor (a DO) believes in treating the patient, NOT the labs. If your labs are "within normal limits" but you feel like crap and show so many signs of thyroid disorder, you have thyroid disorder. Synthroid treats only 1 aspect of thyroid disorder, and doesn't even do that for everyone. Armour thyroid is the biologically identical hormone to the one your body produces. It is the only (well, there's one other brand name I can't remember right now, but still) thing that will make you feel better quickly. It will do amazing things for your anxiety, you will not believe it.

2. I would bet you good money that you are also Magnesium deficient (no matter what your blood tests say). Get yourself a supplement, NOT Magnesium citrate. At the very least use Mag Oxalate or Malate, but a blend f 3-5 forms would be best. Do you get facial ticks? Or other unexplained muscle spasms. If so that is your surest sign. Try the 500 mg at first, then increase it by one pill (500 mg) per day each week. So, week 1 you're taking one pill in the morning. Week 2 you take one in the morning, 1 in the evening (before bed, it's awesome for helping you relax for sleep). Week 3 you take one morning noon and night. If at any point you get loose stools back off one pill for a while and try again after about a week. You will see such an extreme change in your anxiety (plus depression, mood swings, anger/impatience, etc) that you will almost feel like crying. Except, you won't feel like crying anymore, so you won't actually.

Both things are pretty benign changes that won't hurt most anyone's health, so I'd bet any dr would not say "No" (I'm not a dr, though, so make your own choices). They'll just tell you it won't do anything, and that Armour doesn't work. Tell that to these people. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/ There are other sources of mag, too, so I can expand if you'd like. You don't get the problems you've got unless you're eating the SAD diet (Standard American Diet). Proper nutrition (and here's a hint, it's not the USDA food pyramid) will do LOADS for your health.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask me any questions, here or by pm. I can point you at literally 20+ resources to support my advice. PLEASE try it? And do ask friends and family to make the important calls for you and/or go with you to the dr to speak for you. I struggled w/anxiety for quite some time before adjusting my armour dosage to my feelings and increasing my magnesium. I ended up selling a business I had worked SO hard for, because I could no longer deal with the customers. Not even by email. Just seeing I'd gotten an email made me feel like throwing up. I became completely unable to speak on the phone to anyone, even family and people I knew but especially strangers. And any outing with people I didn't know was impossible. No homeschool group meetings, no new classes, no job interviews, nothing. I've been there, and I'm a functioning member of society now. I still don't seek out outrageous opportunities to put myself on a stage or anything, but I do teach college classes once a year, attend meetings, classes (even answer questions or speak in front of the class), appointments, and every other day-to-day activity without fear or panic attacks. Hang in there.

Thanks so much for the info!

I was curious about Armour but I wanted to try Synthroid first, and when I went in to my endocrinologist on my very first appointment the very first thing he said to me was that Armour was no good and it wouldn't work. I didn't even get a chance to bring it up myself. He was also very adamant about me not getting the generic. I have so much trouble with just getting everything together just to go in and see him that I I can't imagine trying to find another doctor who is open to Armour. I do want to stick with Synthroid for a little while longer, though. I just went in yesterday for my lab results and I am now slightly hyperthyroid due to the Synthroid, so I'm supposed to take a half dose every other day now. It makes sense to me because though my antibodies were really high before I started Synthroid and I was having hypo symptoms, all my other thyroid levels were in the range of normal.

I am very interested in the magnesium, could you send me some more info to read? I was working really hard to build a doula business from May to August and then all of a sudden just stopped and gave everything up for the same reasons you mentioned about your similar situation. Your story is really encouraging.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#182 of 192 Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 PM

I was told by one of my doctors that there is a severe shortage of Armour, but that was awhile ago. Is there still?

My endocrinologist won't put me on Armour, but my family doctor would if it were available.

flowersforyou.gif

#183 of 192 Old 11-19-2011, 04:59 PM

There was, but it came back almost a year ago.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#184 of 192 Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Great to know!  I will ask my PCP about it at my next appointment.

Things are tight here - we just had our balanced billing recalculated for electricity and we owe a ton.  Almost our entire paycheck went towards paying that to avoid shut off. :/  What little we have left will go towards buying toilet paper and garbage bags and cough syrup for my sick dd. After that we are completely broke for another 2 weeks.  

Thankfully we have food stamps - not much at all but enough to last us 2 weeks ($60 and a pretty well stocked pantry).

flowersforyou.gif

#185 of 192 Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM

We are down to $11 in our bank account until Thursday. greensad.gif

I have some cash stashed away from my short-lived pizza delivery job, but I really didn't want to have to spend it.

Last night my SO had to pick up a shift one town over, which used up the last of our gas and caused our Toll Pass account to be hit for $20, which is why we're so low on money now. We have to get more gas though, because we both have classes on Mon, Tue, Wed all the way on the other side of town.

I still haven't done the phone interview for FS.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#186 of 192 Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM

We are still scraping by.  DH isn't getting a ton of hours at work but I am really nervous about how I am going to do next week home with the baby and the girls by myself.  We've been doing okay food-wise, because my MIL bought us a bunch, and now my mom is here to help with the baby and pitching in. I am hoping our food stamps go up a little now, and I have an appointment for WIC for all three girls and myself.  Now that I am breastfeeding I eat like a horse, so that will be a HUGE blessing.

We are almost out of wood and the house is freezing as it is.  We need to find more wood for free, or money to buy wood, but then I still can't really be hauling wood all day to keep it going with the baby and the girls.  I think what I am going to do is get the gas turned back on, try to run the furnace and see if it helps at all. It did practically nothing before, and we still couldn't afford the bill which is why we got the wood stove. If it does help a little then I'll try applying for LIHEAP, and maybe ask our church to help get the furnace serviced.  I am feeling really stuck at home though, because the car doesn't have a heater either, and I worry about taking the baby out. : (

Sigh.  This is why we were trying to move in with my parents this winter, but money got in the way of that plan and now I feel stuck.

My husband is still selling baseball cards on ebay though, which is good 'cause we'll need it for this unexpected hospital birth.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#187 of 192 Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Paigekitten, Congrats! I'm sorry you had to transfer (which I'm guessing by your post), and that you have to have so much stress in the first weeks. I know what it's like to try to keep the house warm because you have a little baby, and it is stressful. But please try to take some time to just enjoy your new baby. To just sit and hold him(?), stare at him, nurse him, etc. Try not to stress too much? I know it's harder done than said, but it's so important. Did you save your placenta? Encapsulation could really help with the stress (as would Magnesium, zinc and Vit C). And make sure you're not shorting yourself on food. You can't afford to have your milk supply drop off, or to end up sick. I know you know this, as you have other kids, but sometimes you just need to hear it. Over and over again.

We got $150 more in FS per month after dd was born, and I'd read from others that about that much is standard. You just need to let your worker know and if she/he's quick you'll get it on your next month's amount.

If you get food stamps you will not be paying for that birth. Even if you don't have medicaid, and even if emergency medicaid wouldn't pick it up, your hospital will waive the bill if you call them and ask about assistance. They'll have you fill out forms and if you pay anything it will be a tiny fraction, over time. And if anyone gives you trouble you KEEP FIGHTING until you talk to the RIGHT person. Please don't worry about it now. And don't pay anything until you've exhausted all resources. No credit concerns or otherwise should put you in a cold house with a new baby.

If the church can't do anything about the furnace call 211 and ask about other programs in your county and/or city. There are all kinds of weatherization and home-repair services here for low income. And, just apply for LIHEAP NOW! Don't wait until you "need" it. Also, does your DHS (or whatever your state calls the office that gives you food stamps) do emergency utility assistance? We end up needing one electric bill a year paid by them, it seems. Last year I knew ahead of time we weren't going to have it soon, so I paid just enough to keep it from getting shut off, for as long as possible, and then they paid a large shutoff, like $350. They have a cap for how much you can do in each category each year, and I think they go Oct to Sep here.

IHTH. Please don't stress too much (I know, it's impossible as a new mom). Enjoy that little squeaker. :)

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#188 of 192 Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks.  Yes, with my first daughter we didn't have to pay for the hospital bill because of the financial assistance that was available from the hospital, we'll have to apply for that this time.  We were planning a homebirth, but risked out.  I have the placenta, I need to get a hold of the student midwife who said she would encapsulate it for me.

Monday I am calling the agency that does utility assistance to try and get help for our water bill and electric bill, they do LIHEAP too. DH can't get free wood because he is working, but if we buy wood for the stove we'll get the water shut off, but we run out of wood tomorrow, so yeah.  We don't actually have gas service right now, so I need to get it started again and have a bill before we can qualify for LIHEAP.  The furnace doesn't really do much, it's so old and in such bad shape, but I'm hoping it will help.

I am trying not to worry.  It'll be okay, but wondering how to get from here to there is hard.

It's really nice to have a place like this to talk about it, it's very not acceptable in real life to talk about having a hard time financially, but it's hard when people ask "oh how's it going" to NOT say something because that's what going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Paigekitten, Congrats! I'm sorry you had to transfer (which I'm guessing by your post), and that you have to have so much stress in the first weeks. I know what it's like to try to keep the house warm because you have a little baby, and it is stressful. But please try to take some time to just enjoy your new baby. To just sit and hold him(?), stare at him, nurse him, etc. Try not to stress too much? I know it's harder done than said, but it's so important. Did you save your placenta? Encapsulation could really help with the stress (as would Magnesium, zinc and Vit C). And make sure you're not shorting yourself on food. You can't afford to have your milk supply drop off, or to end up sick. I know you know this, as you have other kids, but sometimes you just need to hear it. Over and over again.

We got $150 more in FS per month after dd was born, and I'd read from others that about that much is standard. You just need to let your worker know and if she/he's quick you'll get it on your next month's amount.

If you get food stamps you will not be paying for that birth. Even if you don't have medicaid, and even if emergency medicaid wouldn't pick it up, your hospital will waive the bill if you call them and ask about assistance. They'll have you fill out forms and if you pay anything it will be a tiny fraction, over time. And if anyone gives you trouble you KEEP FIGHTING until you talk to the RIGHT person. Please don't worry about it now. And don't pay anything until you've exhausted all resources. No credit concerns or otherwise should put you in a cold house with a new baby.

If the church can't do anything about the furnace call 211 and ask about other programs in your county and/or city. There are all kinds of weatherization and home-repair services here for low income. And, just apply for LIHEAP NOW! Don't wait until you "need" it. Also, does your DHS (or whatever your state calls the office that gives you food stamps) do emergency utility assistance? We end up needing one electric bill a year paid by them, it seems. Last year I knew ahead of time we weren't going to have it soon, so I paid just enough to keep it from getting shut off, for as long as possible, and then they paid a large shutoff, like $350. They have a cap for how much you can do in each category each year, and I think they go Oct to Sep here.

IHTH. Please don't stress too much (I know, it's impossible as a new mom). Enjoy that little squeaker. :)

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#189 of 192 Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View PostIt's really nice to have a place like this to talk about it, it's very not acceptable in real life to talk about having a hard time financially, but it's hard when people ask "oh how's it going" to NOT say something because that's what going on.

Sad but true--yep, i know how that feels. hug2.gif

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#190 of 192 Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I quit my job this morning. I was only making min wage and paying a sitter so I was bringing home $30 a week. My girls were all out of wack being tossed from person to person daily while I worked 12 hrs. So glad it is over. I feel at peace and that it was the right decision.

Krystal323 and maciascl like this.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#191 of 192 Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs and good luck and happy holidays vibes to all}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#192 of 192 Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

New thread ladies!    http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1338123/2012-low-income-support-group    grouphug.gif

Resistance is futile Matey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page