Getting notes/phone calls from real estate agents - is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Getting notes/phone calls from real estate agents - is this normal?

katiecat's Avatar katiecat (TS)
08:57 AM Liked: 5
#1 of 13
09-26-2011 | Posts: 651

Not sure if this should go here or in the more general "home" forum...we bought our house 7.5 years ago and have no intention of selling anytime soon. But we get quite a few notes in our mailbox and even phone calls from real estate agents asking if we are thinking of selling or if we know anyone in our neighbourhood who is, saying that they have clients who would like to buy in the neighbourhood. Our *house* is nothing special - we got it quite cheap because it had not had much updating done since it was built 40 years ago. We are slowly doing renos as we have money available (just did the kitchen!) but the neighbourhood and size of yard are great and really why we bought it.

As everywhere, it's quite popular in some neighbourhoods in our city to buy up older homes and build multi-unit dwellings on the lots. Something that always causes lots of arguments! However, I have not noticed that happening anywhere in our neighourhood until just the last year when a house around the corner from us was sold and a multi-unit place is going up now. I was really surprised! Our place is a semi-detached as are all on our street so I do feel that is someone was able to buy both houses you'd get quite a nice size lot to build a new place.

Anyway, just wondering - does anyone else get "pestered" like this? In a way it's nice to know that our place/neighbourhood is in demand (I assume it is) and occasionally I get intrigued and wonder if we should consider selling. But at this point we couldn't really afford anything better so why bother. Or do real estate agents just do this to drum up business?

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree
09:08 AM Liked: 1453
#2 of 13
09-26-2011 | Posts: 4,895

Yes, it's pretty common in my experience. We even get realtors knocking on our door. I just toss all the notes as junk mail and depending on my mood, I'll either answer the phone and say I'm not interested or screen the call. 

annethcz's Avatar annethcz
12:09 PM Liked: 24
#3 of 13
09-28-2011 | Posts: 9,825

I think it's pretty common.  This happened to us frequently when we lived in a suburban area (both when we lived in a cheaper attached townhouse and when we lived in a bigger, nicer single-family home).  It doesn't happen as much now that we live in a more rural area and the housing market has taken a dive. 

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy
05:26 PM Liked: 562
#4 of 13
09-28-2011 | Posts: 6,460
sheesh i wish i had that problem!! if anyone wanted to move into my neighborhood, they'd have no problem, seeing as every other house is for sale or foreclosed greensad.gif

i would find that annoying actually, but it's nice to be wanted, right?
06:13 PM Liked: 5
#5 of 13
09-28-2011 | Posts: 651

We get the more flyer type of notice with the usual junk mail - those I wouldn't think twice about -  but also some that are obviously "personally" delivered as well as the phone calls. Any houses for sale in this area go very quickly - we jumped to buy ours and were very lucky. Anyway, thanks for the answers!

yeahwhat's Avatar yeahwhat
06:23 PM Liked: 12
#6 of 13
09-28-2011 | Posts: 553
It happens to us a couple of times per year. The market in this area is still pretty busy and homes sell quickly.
funkymamajoy's Avatar funkymamajoy
08:33 AM Liked: 35
#7 of 13
09-30-2011 | Posts: 728

Yep, I get it frequently and we don't even own our house and our neighborhood is not in demand. They're just trying to drum up business from you as both the buyer and the seller.

FtMPapa's Avatar FtMPapa
11:44 AM Liked: 17
#8 of 13
09-30-2011 | Posts: 2,042

I would find that pretty invasive.  

Are you sure the real estate agents are legit?  I used to work for a real estate agent, no way they would do something like that.

Are you sure they're not trying to case your house or something?  Definitely do not invite anyone in who claims to be a real estate agent.  

~Charlie's~Angel~'s Avatar ~Charlie's~Angel~
04:06 PM Liked: 186
#9 of 13
09-30-2011 | Posts: 4,411

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post

I would find that pretty invasive.  

Are you sure the real estate agents are legit?  I used to work for a real estate agent, no way they would do something like that.

Are you sure they're not trying to case your house or something?  Definitely do not invite anyone in who claims to be a real estate agent.  

Agreed. 

I had a friend who got lured into a scam like that once.  It wasnt pretty. 

ItsBasilThyme's Avatar ItsBasilThyme
09:52 PM Liked: 13
#10 of 13
09-30-2011 | Posts: 65

In my old neighborhood, we used to get tons of hand-delivered stuff from the local realtors. Mostly they just left notes/stopped in to ask if you were thinking of selling/blah blah blah. The best was one particular realtor who would drop off reusable grocery bags with her name/contact info on it. You would walk into the neighborhood grocery store and half the shoppers had a bag with that lady's name on it. Sometimes she'd leave a little notepad and pen with her name/contact info on it. We got all kinds of free swag from that lady - and this was in an area/time that was definitely not selling well, and not at good prices. It's probably just that the local realtors are really struggling and trying to drum up business and get their names out there as much as possible. 

MeganW's Avatar MeganW
11:13 AM Liked: 10
#11 of 13
10-03-2011 | Posts: 911

As a real estate broker when markets are slow it is quite common to encourage you agents to work neighborhoods by making contact with homeowners that may be willing to list with you.  Also if your neighborhood is popular they may have someone interested but they are probably just looking for business.  Also if you are on the do not call list the agent should NOT be calling you at home as they are expected to to abide by that list as well.  Hope that helps

03:26 PM Liked: 5
#12 of 13
10-04-2011 | Posts: 651

That does help Megan - thank you!

lmonter's Avatar lmonter
01:07 AM Liked: 23
#13 of 13
10-05-2011 | Posts: 6,359

Yeah, we go through bouts of that.  The drawbacks of living in a decent, in-demand neighborhood (ours also apparently has one of the better-in-the-area school districts to boot).  ;)  There's little turnover in our neighborhood, and even our real estate agent has said she has had several clients over the years that wanted her to tell them the minute something here went on the market.  I do feel bad that these poor agents are needlessly spending their money on the cards and letters and postage to us, but c'est la vie.

Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances