Speaking of Costco...Executive or Regular membership?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We went to check it out.  Gas is almost 30cents less a gallon.  Milk is $1 less a gallon. Bread is $1 less a loaf. Meat wasn't that great, but between gas and milk and pantry staples, we've decided to go for it (and it goes without saying we need to stay away from impulse purchases!)

The executive membership is twice the price ($100 instead of $50) but there is a 3% cash back. And if you don't get back at least $50 (I think) they credit you the increased price of membership.  So is it really a no brainer? WWYD?

#2 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have the $50 do 'spare' then do it. Def worth it for us.

#3 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM

It's a no-brainer for me.  We spend enough at Costco that the membership more than pays for itself with the yearly rebate.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 04:15 PM

They'll run your numbers for you.  So you could always do regular for a year and then have them run the numbers.

Question for all of you: How is the 3% executive rebate calculated?  And how can you pay?  Basically, can you piggy back that rebate with the Costco Amex Rebate?

#5 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Chiming in here to correct a couple of things - first it's only a 2% cash back for executive members. I had to double check the Costco website, as I didn't think 3% was right.  You could earn up to 3% back if you're combining both the Costco 2% with the AMEX 1% cash back for groceries and other items. 

We have an executive membership and our average Costco monthly bill is $300.  Our typical cash back check is $75-80 which is almost the executive membership fee easily to allow us to eat the $20 or so we're off per year.   You should know the "cash back" is a gift certificate redeemable at Costco only, but you can use it for your membership renewals (as we've done several times now)

DH & I are seriously considering to apply for the AMEX and use it (instead of cash) for our many of monthly purchases to maximize the cash back rewards. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#6 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Executive.  If your rebate is less than the $50 premium you pay for executive membership over the regular one, they supposedly refund the difference so you're not out money either way and have the chance of getting extra money back.  For example, we can pay $50 for the regular or $100 for exec.  Last year we got $64 rebate so we were ahead $14.  Once they explained that it was no risk to upgrade we went for it.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

You should know the "cash back" is a gift certificate redeemable at Costco only, but you can use it for your membership renewals (as we've done several times now)

I believe you can cash it in at the register though - does anyone know for sure?  I know when our purchase is less than the certificate amount they give us the remainder in cash...

#8 of 12 Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

I believe you can cash it in at the register though - does anyone know for sure?  I know when our purchase is less than the certificate amount they give us the remainder in cash...

You can cash it at the service desk as well even if you aren't making a purchase that day.
#9 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

Executive.  If your rebate is less than the $50 premium you pay for executive membership over the regular one, they supposedly refund the difference so you're not out money either way and have the chance of getting extra money back.  For example, we can pay $50 for the regular or $100 for exec.  Last year we got $64 rebate so we were ahead $14.  Once they explained that it was no risk to upgrade we went for it.

Wow,  I didn't know that!  If I had, I would have upgraded.

#10 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

Isn't this refund of the difference just for your first year of membership?  We went with executive but I figured I would scale back after a year when the refund of the $50 wasn't in effect any more.

#11 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Executive

There are two different rebates going on here.

1. Costco offers the difference between the two memberships if you are not satisfied. I am not sure if it is just for the first year or if it is for ANY year. Ours has always been worth it to us.

2. Costco gives a rebate based on purchases. This is only good at Costco, but can be used a number of ways: cash at service desk, pay for membership, or pay for purchases.

In addition, you can apply for the AmEx card with the Costco Executive membership. There are different percentages you earn based on the types of purchases. You earn 1-3% on each category, including all other purchases (not related to Costco at all, which is a big deal to us). This is a separate check from AmEx and it can be cashed at the Costco service desk or used to make purchases at Costco. I've done both of those. I think there are other options, too, that we have not done.

I particularly appreciate the AmEx card because it has my picture on it and serves multiple functions, saving me time and energy and space! I walk many places in our community and I can just carry my AmEx card. Even when I do drive beyond our community, I use my AmEx card over my Visa card because I dislike having to dig out my driver's license from certain wallets/purses. We don't have spending issues with credit cards, so this works well for us. We pay off the AmEx bill every month and earn a nice rebate annually.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#12 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 AM

We switched to executive from our regular business membership a few years ago. It has been worth it for us. Plus I save a bunch with their car insurance program. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page