Leaking car - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

Forgive if this isn't the right place to post this.  My car is leaking in the rain, and in the last storm developed pretty significant water damage and is moldy smelling.  Does anyone have any DIY/frugal tips for leak proofing a car?  Or getting the moldy smell out? 

Thanks,

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#2 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Which part is leaking? Door seals can be replaced.

As for mold, I'd go right for the bleach (after getting all the mositure out).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I think it's the door seals; is it something I can do myself (I'm pretty niave around cars... not a mechanic at all), or would you recommend bringing it to someone?  And where do I get door seals?  I hadn't thought of using bleach -- you don't think it'll ruin the carpet?  Also, any ideas on how to get it to dry faster?  We're still humid, so it's taking forever.

Thanks again,

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UWZq8Zszw

I'd wet-vac up the moisture or use a few towels to get up as much as you can, then get some colour-friendly bleach (I don't know a lot about bleach), test an indescrete spot on the carpet/seat and if it doesn't effect it, have at 'er.

You could also rent a steam cleaner and use the furniture attachment if you think that might work (I don't know how mouldy/mildewy it is).

To get it to dry you could use a hair-dryer, leave a fan on in the interiour with the windows down through the day, or pick up some moisture-absorbing materials from a hardware store (I forget what they're called, but you can get tubs of this mineral-type thing that whicks moisture from the air very well and is re-usable).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 6 Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Buy a bag of floor dry (at napa or menards or really anywhere.  it is really just pelletize DE- so perfectly safe.  Sprinkle liberally wherever it is damp and let it soak up the moisture.  Just vac it out (you can also reuse it).  I would get some SolUMel and spray that is full strength- you can get it through Melaleuca.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your help.  I figured I'd give an update.  It turns out it wasn't the weatherstripping.  We have a Saturn Ion, and evidently there are drains all around the sunroof that drain to the wheel well.  These drains clog notoriously easily, and when they do water backs up and the car floods.  Which explains why I could figure out where the weather stripping was bad, and also why it only leaked during huge storms, and then very dramatically.

So, they want to charge us a couple hundred dollars to de-clog, but DH is going to try to do it using a plumbing snake tomorrow.  I'm really excited to see if it works.

Drying and mold fighting is still a work in progress.

In good news, we completely paid off the car!  So, while it's a bit junky now, it's 100% ours.

Best,

Anka

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page