Getting out of debt in OCTOBER - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

thumb.gifBS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
1.1 Chop up/freeze CC's (You have an EF now) (I use these appropriately and always pay the balance)
thumb.gif1.2 Get Health insurance NOW if in the US
thumb.gif1.3 Get Life insurance NOW if you have considerable debt/your family couldn't make it financially if you died.
thumb.gif1.4 Amputate cars that you can't pay off within 24 months

thumb.gifBS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
thumb.gif2.0 Do the debt snowball, paying all your debts from lowest BALANCE to highest.(There is still some student loan debt but it is not due yet and not accruing interest.  As soon as the divorce is final, there is enough to pay it)

thumb.gifBS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings
thumb.gif3.1 Start car replacement fund
3.2 Save up 20% for home purchase OR pay down existing mortgage to the point you can drop PMI.
thumb.gif3.3 Start furniture or other non-essential stuff replacement fund

BS4 Invest 15 percent of household income for retirement (I am currently investing 5% but it will increase shortly)

BS5 College funding for children

You know, I didn't think I would get this far.  I left my financially secure marriage about two years ago with nothing, not even a job, actually.  $24000 a year in alimony and child support.  Found a part-time job and going to grad school, paying some of my tuition in cash, paid off a 10000 car loan, paid off my attorney.  My last year of grad school I got a full tuition and stipend scholarship.  I also tutored, worked an extra part-time job in the summers, sold books on Amazon, even picked up pennies in the street if I saw them!  So now I am completely debt free.  I actually also  have a decent down payment on a house if housing prices remain at current levels until I get a full time job. 

I have followed this thread but never posted much.  But I wanted to post this.  thumb.gif

dziejen likes this.
#32 of 38 Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Adele~ Rolling In The Deep!!!!

Beleive (More of a Mantra)

I don't know, I have yet to have a ground breaking year, or age that I'd like to stay in forever.  Growth is a good thing, I'm still learning...although ageing can be scary!

If I won lottery or came into a significant amount of money, I would pay off all debt first, establish a significant nest egg and possibly go back to school. 

Online job searching, or reading

It is a nickname of DD2

The best part of waking up is white tea with cinnamon, honey & milk!

We are at baby step 2 we are using up most of our savings to replace the roof before winter!  Will keep $500 in savings though!   I decided after struggling the last year that it is time to go back to work full time now that the kids are older.  I hope to get a decent job offer soon!!!!  Also wondering how the heck we are going to swing Christmas!!!  Would love some advice on this topic!!!!  Started using Mint.com to help me stay accountable with budget!  I like it a lot, it really helped me save for the roof, but wish it allowed me to start budgeting for the following month! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#33 of 38 Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM

thanks to this website,   we have started the schoolyear without the usual spending !!

I am enjoying adele's latest

slogan trust your guy

lottery,   I would probably take the yearly payout and keep at zero debt and spend it for kids college , the best part of waking up is "cheapest i can find" coffee in my cup.   Weird my enter key quit working.      I have to restock the emergency fund, and fist goal is to pay off 2 service providers and 2 small other bills :)

#34 of 38 Old 10-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

To help us better get to know one another, feel free to answer any or all of the following questions in your reply.

-What is your number one played song on your ipod....or other musical device of any kind....

We listen to a lot of Joni Mitchell and Jaco Pastorius around here.

-What is one of your favourite quotes?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

-If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, which age would it be?

I'm not 30 yet (next week!) but something tells me it is gonna be a good year.

-If you won the lottery/came into a financial windfall, what would you do?

Pay off the rest of our cc debt (3k) and my student loans (23k) and pay for DH to complete his education here in the US. Then we'd definitely purchase a beautiful Victorian home somewhere with a big yard and enough room for my in-laws to move up here from Chile. Then we'd start trying for baby #2.

-If you have 30 minutes of free time, what will you most likely be doing?

Running. Usually. Not right now, because I have a nasty cold and low-grade fever. I haven't run in 4 days and I'm beginning to feel twitchy.

-How did you come up with your username?

It's from an old hs nickname thing, badkitty. It has morphed over time.

-The best part of waking up is ____________.

My dd's big eyes and smile shining back at me, and the little gibberish that she whispers to herself/her toys upon first waking. Now that I'm waking up early to work at an elementary school I end up sneaking out while she's still asleep, and I really miss that.

October has been another great month for us, thank god. Dh has been working a lot of overtime and his promotion to security guard at the hotel means that he won't see a decrease in hours this winter like he did as a valet. So that is awesome too. Waiting to see if I am eligible for an extension of EDD payments. If not we'll be bringing in $200 less each month than we did this month, so really crossing my fingers hard for that one. I'm underemployed and was getting benefits on top of my pay, and I'm not sure if that precludes me from being eligible for extension?

All but ~$1000 of our cc debt is at 0% til 2013 so we are putting that on the back burner for now. The ~$1000 is at 7% and we should have that gone by the new year. Student loans are on IBR plan for now, and any extra $$ is going into our EF which is at $1500. I'm hoping to have that fully funded (between $9k and $11k) by this time next year, but that is a pretty tall order and would require lots of discipline and some good luck,  so we'll see.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#35 of 38 Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Hi All,

DH and I are recently committed to becoming completely debt free and have cancelled all of our credit cards.  Question for all of you -- how do you deal with work related travel without a credit card?  We're both required to travel occasionally for work, and the way our company likes to do it is to have us buy hotel/airplane, etc on a personal credit card, then reimburse us later.  Aside from the obvious cash flow downside of doing this on a debit card, which we expected, we've found that hotels actually put a hold on a pretty large amount of money on the debit card which they wouldn't on a credit card.  Some of them take a really long time to release the hold after checkout (in one case over a month).

Anyone have any tips/tricks?  How do you all budget for this sort of expense (we're new to budgeting over the last month or so, so even 'dumb stuff' would be helpful here)?

Thanks,

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#36 of 38 Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

AnkaJones,

I travelled over the summer and found out the hard way you pretty much need a credit card for EVERYTHING (buying meals or anything on a plane, booking a rental car, I'm sure hotels would require one).

I would get one, but keep it solely for travel. We have one, but I keep it cut up in a drawer. Next time I travel, I'll get a replacement card and be sure to use it....responsibly....

MrsHin,

Is the deck an absolute must? Can you tear it down if it's dangerous and just live without one for a year while you save to do it next summer? While you're paying off debt I'd try to keep the rest of "life" as creatively cheap as possible.

If it's a must, I would get a quote and start saving each month so that you can pay for it in cash when the time comes (so i guess that would be your plan A)....bringing in some extra income so you can still fire $$ at your debt would be ideal, IMO.

Trekkingirl,

I'm in Canada so i'd imagine shipping would be $$!! but thank you. ... We do have a freecycle and I check kijiji often- there's tons of stuff out there, it'll just be getting the right stuff at the right time (I'm now 7wks....I had to stop myself from getting pre-folds off kijiji @ 5wks....we've still got a long ways to go!).

I've been so exhausted lately, so I'm anxiously waiting for the first trimester to be gone and on its way so I can get at least SOME of my energy back. We've been getting a little loosey-goosey with the budget lately (more eating out than I'd care to admit but we also saved nearly double what we were hoping to last month since we had lots of random income that we don't typically receive....we'll see if we have to pull some back out in order to make it through this month or not).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#37 of 38 Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 AM

Eirual,

Thanks for your reply. We only need to replace 4-8 deck boards to make it usable (much cheaper than tearing it down). We have the wood but not the proper tools or skills. And some of the boards nearby might be damaged by pulling out a single one, so my DH decided not to try any more than what he did. We think it's close to needing to be replaced but are hoping to get 1-2 or more years by patching it up instead.

With then 5 year old DS home for the spring/summer while I'm on maternity leave with DC #2, I think the back deck will be a regular spot for us to eat and play outside.

I should have our handy guy come out for a quote before the deck is covered in snow for the winter. Thanks for the reminder!

Karen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
#38 of 38 Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 PM

we are officially out of our rental. lots of unexpected spending to get there but I'm excited for the future. eirual  your welcome, I'm glad you said thanks anyways because they are now buried in my storage. My ex landlords seem to be acting like slum lords so I won't be surprised if they keep most of the deposit. I have to run, will report back soon.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page